Who was a better QB in his prime? Rodgers or Peyton?

Manning or Rodgers?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Manning or Rodgers

• Peyton Manning
    • Aaron Rodgers

23 hours ago, Biggs said:

Hard call but I take Payton.  Payton was the OC and the QB from day 1.  He wasn't getting to SB because he had to go through Brady and Bellicheck.  

He was actually 3-2 against Brady/Beli in the playoffs. His two losses were both as road underdogs (2003 AFC title game, 2004 Divisional round)

he beat them in three AFC title games as a slight home favorite each time - 2006 (the epic 21 point comeback), 2013 (blowout), 2015 (super close) 

• Upvote 3

My Answer: I have no idea

My insight in thinking about it: When a team has a great QB and whether by conscious decision or the outcome of fate becomes overly reliant on the inherent talents of that QB, it is a recipe for some pretty good championship deficient football. When, instead, the team just continues to build year after year and considers the QB an important cog in the machine who's talent can help them rise above in difficult situations, you get multiple championships. Think Patriots/Brady, Montana/49ers and Cowboys/Aikman. The only exception to this rule that I can think of might be Mahomes. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:43 AM, JiF said:

Rodgers was the most talented QB to ever play the position until Mahomes arrived.  They stand in a league of their own w/ their athletic ability, arm talent, accuracy, mobility, off-script magic, big play/big moment ability, presnap reads, leadership, intelligence and results.  

Manning, IMO the greatest presnap QB of all time, is nowhere near the talent in any aspect of the position post snap and that's not really a knock on him per say, he just wasnt athletic and threw dead ducks, so it's a bit unfair for him in this conversation but he made up for it with his intelligence.

It is funny how accurate this seems when you consider that Arhcie was considered a guy with a cannon that was pretty athletic.  Am I mis-remembering my days as a teeny tot watching on my 13" black and white?

22 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Manning the best ever ??? Ugh... He couldn't sniff Brady's jock strap.  Rodgers is also far more talented than Manning.  

When Manning was with the Colts, they ran three or four basic pass plays.  All timing stuff.  The formula was to get ahead in points fast and then let their defensive ends off the hook.  Manning was just a cog in the overall machine.

Rodgers can run any passing offense.  With lots of motion or without.  Timing routs or circus routs.  On schedule or off schedule.

Brady said it himself.  Manning needs everything to be set up perfectly for him to succeed.  He cant play outside of his limited strength. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-0813-nfl-notes-20150813-story.html

Brady said Awwww... Im sowwy... But he was spot on.

the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Put Manning or Rodgers on the Pats and both win at least 6 Super Bowls as well.  Vinatieri, the defense the coaching, the OL all contributed mightily to the Pats success. Brady played in 15-20 playoff games where his team/coach/opponent bailed him out.  Brady also had some ridiculously easy first round home playoff opponents.  Don't forget Brady's Pats had some cringe worthy home playoff losses from the 2005-2013 period when they didn't win a SB.   Brady's Pats also have many many ridiculously lucky wins that had nothing to do with Brady (tuck game, Seattle and Atlanta SBs, two AFC title wins vs Baltimore, the Jax nullified fumble return game).  Put Brady on the Colts and the Colts don't win more than they did with Manning and may win less.  Same with Rodgers.  Rodgers wins 5+ or more Super Bowls as QB of the Pats.  

I think the Manning/Rodgers debate is very close.  They had very similar careers, but had different strengths and weaknesses.

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Peyton: 3-2 against Brady and Belichick in the playoffs, including 3-0 after spygate. All 3 wins were to go to SB.

This is some Mangenius/Gase level trolling. As my friend Hermoine would say, you need to sort out your priorities. 

The home team won all 5 of those games.  It's a team sport.  

On 8/17/2023 at 8:48 AM, FreddyGotFingered said:

I really do believe we saw the glory age of QBs with Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. Mahomes is in that category, but not sure anyone else is close. 

It was the "glory age" because of the rule changes inflating passing stats and favoring the passing game.  The QBs of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s were just as good but had to play a different game physically and strategically.  The best QBs in the game now are young.  There will be a few from this era who will go down as all-time greats as well.  

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I don't think the effect of playing in a dome can be overstated. Throw a football inside with the temp around 70 degrees... Do it again outside with 15 mph winds in 5 degree weather.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, this one was hard to compare because of the different years and home stadiums.  I think pre-snap, I take Peyton, and post snap I take Rodgers.