Who was a better QB in his prime? Rodgers or Peyton?

Manning or Rodgers?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Manning or Rodgers

• Peyton Manning
    • Aaron Rodgers

Not looking through green colored glasses I go with Rodgers mainly because he has more running ability. Peyton needed a really good oline. Great passer but if passing ability is the only criteria then would possibly go for Marino.  Another point is Rodgers has a better qb rating than manning.

Finally they’re almost from different eras. Sure the salary cap has been in place for both but it seemed like those colt teams were kept together for longer stretches than Green Bay’s. 

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Not looking through green colored glasses I go with Rodgers mainly because he has more running ability. Peyton needed a really good oline. Great passer but if passing ability is the only criteria then would possibly go for Marino.  Another point is Rodgers has a better qb rating than manning.

Finally they’re almost from different eras. Sure the salary cap has been in place for both but it seemed like those colt teams were kept together for longer stretches than Green Bay’s. 

I disagree about Peyton needing good line play to be effective. Obviously every QB needs some level of competency up front, but Peyton made lineman look good not the other way around. He was unbelievable with protections and knowing when to get the ball out quickly. Honestly why a lot of Gase stuff didn’t work with Darnold. He needed a couple ticks longer than Peyton to pull the trigger

Hard call but I take Payton.  Payton was the OC and the QB from day 1.  He wasn't getting to SB because he had to go through Brady and Bellicheck.  

Rodgers 1 SB appearance while not having to go through the best to get there gives Payton the edge.

• Upvote 1

Define better.

A-A-Ron is an extremely talented QB.  Arm strength.  Passing ability.  Mobility.  His traits are what you want in a QB.

However, I think Peyton is the better QB.  There is a reason Bill went for it on a 4th and 1 deep in his territory.  I think on their best day, Peyton is better.

Rodgers was the most talented QB to ever play the position until Mahomes arrived.  They stand in a league of their own w/ their athletic ability, arm talent, accuracy, mobility, off-script magic, big play/big moment ability, presnap reads, leadership, intelligence and results.  

Manning, IMO the greatest presnap QB of all time, is nowhere near the talent in any aspect of the position post snap and that's not really a knock on him per say, he just wasnt athletic and threw dead ducks, so it's a bit unfair for him in this conversation but he made up for it with his intelligence.

• Upvote 4

At their absolute peaks, I think Rodgers had more talent but I honestly don’t know who was better, overall. Probably Rodgers because of his mobility, superior arm strength, and off-script magic, but then again, Peyton was a surgeon in his prime. Being a QB is mostly about accuracy and decision-making and both guys were exceptionally accurate and elite decision-makers. It’s very close. 

For their careers, I would currently have Manning ahead of Rodgers, but if Rodgers has a big second act in NY, I think he could overtake him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What about the HGH that was being sent to Peyton Manning's house in his wife's name?  There is a stain on manning, brady etc.  All cheaters.

He definitely took it and therefore cheated.  But that was after his neck injury and I'm just guessing he wasn't taking it throughout his career (or at least he was taking the small amounts probably every NFL player takes since your body makes it naturally).

The worst thing about that whole thing was his faux-outrage that people were questioning his wife's "medical needs" - it was like Rafael Palermo the old juiced up baseball player pointing and yelling at congress that he never cheated and he was soooo offended.  But I guess that's what they all do when caught.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

I have always felt Manning was the best ever just ahead of Montana.

I think if Peyton played for BB in New England (and benefited from circumventing the salary cap) he might have 8 rings.

Manning the best ever ??? Ugh... He couldn't sniff Brady's jock strap.  Rodgers is also far more talented than Manning.  

When Manning was with the Colts, they ran three or four basic pass plays.  All timing stuff.  The formula was to get ahead in points fast and then let their defensive ends off the hook.  Manning was just a cog in the overall machine.

Rodgers can run any passing offense.  With lots of motion or without.  Timing routs or circus routs.  On schedule or off schedule.

Brady said it himself.  Manning needs everything to be set up perfectly for him to succeed.  He cant play outside of his limited strength. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-0813-nfl-notes-20150813-story.html

Brady said Awwww... Im sowwy... But he was spot on.

• Haha 1

Rodgers might be a better passer and certainly more athletic than Manning.

Manning was a better field commander. Manning was also more of a positive impact on the team than maybe any other QB. That team completely fell off after he was gone. Even with his supposed generational successor, the team was never close to the same. 

• Upvote 1

If I had one game to win, I'd take prime Rodgers over prime Payton.  Two reasons:

1) Payton had much better players around him.  Always had Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison at least along with Edge for a few seasons.  Rodgers only had Davante for a few seasons.

2) Identical Catch % but Rodgers had far fewer INTs.  Manning had a 2.7% Int rate while Rodgers is about half that at 1.4%.  Payton always threw at least 10 per season (one year with 9).  Rodgers has only thrown 9 or more three times in his career.  

But honestly, it's pretty damned close.  

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Rodgers might be a better passer and certainly more athletic than Manning.

Manning was a better field commander. Manning was also more of a positive impact on the team than maybe any other QB. That team completely fell off after he was gone. Even with his supposed generational successor, the team was never close to the same. 

I like this…

Rodgers is one of the greatest pure throwers of the football to ever play the game. Watching him in his prime it always amazed me the laser precision he threw the football with…a master of the back shoulder throw as well 

Manning is one of if not the best field general ever…the way he could diagnose a defensive look presnap and get into a play to beat it is unmatched. 

• Upvote 1