Browns Cut QB Kellen Mond

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I think he just misread your post and thought you said they preferred Webb to Trubisky. 

You were correct they preferred both Webb and Trubisky over Watson.

Yea, I distinctly remembered them not liking Watson compared to the other top guys in that draft, since I wanted Watson. LOL

And I'm not sh*ttig on QBASE, just pointing out that they have plenty of misses, as well. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but I wasn't saying they preferred Webb to Trubisky, I was saying they preferred both Webb and Trubisky to Watson. 

QBASE has big misses at the top of the draft like everyone else, although I think it's a reasonable tool based on statistics alone. 

Yep, and that was a major whiff and we now know WHY they whiffed so poorly from a process standpoint.  They miss at least like 40 % of the time on their picks.  But that's still a far better hit rate than any analyst out there.  And you have to at least give them a nod for having Mahomes as their top guy of the class against consensus.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, I distinctly remembered them not liking Watson compared to the other top guys in that draft, since I wanted Watson. LOL

And I'm not sh*ttig on QBASE, just pointing out that they have plenty of misses, as well. 

Watson was my guy in 2018 draft. Was scared of Mahomes but wanted Watson at 6.

Makes you wonder how that all works out (him playing well and looking like the savior and then the sex scandals breaking) if he's in NY.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Watson was my guy in 2018 draft. Was scared of Mahomes but wanted Watson at 6.

Makes you wonder how that all works out (him playing well and looking like the savior and then the sex scandals breaking) if he's in NY.

I wanted either Watson or Mike Williams in '17.  

Taking Jamal Adams at 6 in such a loaded class of premium position talent was execution-worthy.  

It's also hilarious that people give Macc credit in hindsight for the trade JD pulled off.  As if Macc wouldn't have handed Jamal a 5-year deal worth $100M....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, and that was a whiff.  They miss at least like 40 % of the time on their picks.  But that's still a far better hit rate than any analyst out there.  And you have to at least give them a nod for having Mahomes as their top guy of the class against consensus.

I definitely do. 

QBASE is something I look at every year and it's definitely a positive if you have a great QBASE score and a red flag if you have a huge bust %. But it also wouldn't be the determining factor for me when deciding between two guys I liked. 

My favorite thing about QBASE is that it penalizes one year wonders in college, which despite some exceptions (like Russell Wilson, Phillip rivers, and Big Ben), is generally a good idea. But even that didn't stop it from having Zach Wilson and Trey Lance ahead of Justin Fields and Macc Jones (and Wilson was second overall, trailing only Lawrence). The book on the 2021 class certainly isn't fully written yet, but that doesn't look great right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Did you ever watch him play in college?

My wife and her whole family are Aggies, I watched him 20+ times.   He is crazy streaky, and can be very inaccurate.  His arm strength is fine, but not great touch, not a great release.

Being a SEC follower with Alabama I'm very familiar with Mond. I always feared that A&M game as long as he was there. I must have seen a lot of his good streaky games. 

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I definitely do. 

QBASE is something I look at every year and it's definitely a positive if you have a great QBASE score and a red flag if you have a huge bust %. But it also wouldn't be the determining factor for me when deciding between two guys I liked. 

My favorite thing about QBASE is that it penalizes one year wonders in college, which despite some exceptions (like Russell Wilson, Phillip rivers, and Big Ben), is generally a good idea. But even that didn't stop it from having Zach Wilson and Trey Lance ahead of Justin Fields and Macc Jones (and Wilson was second overall, trailing only Lawrence). The book on the 2021 class certainly isn't fully written yet, but that doesn't look great right now. 

It's definitely a better tool for pegging who the busts/disappointments will be than pegging who the hits will be, that's for sure.  When I looked at their hit/bust rate from a historical perspective, they were about 65-70 % accurate at nailing the busts.  On the other end, however, they only were right about the hits about 40 % of the time.  

That makes sense though:  There's obviously a LOT more busts than hits littering the professional ranks.  But still...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one answered me.  Who is Kellen Mond and why is there a thread about him on this board?

Should I start a John Wofford thread if he gets cut?

Friend: The thread isn't really about Kellen Mond. It's about having some fun ragging on Chris Simms who famously predicted Zach Wilson would be a better NFL QB than Trevor Lawrence. 

That's what is important here - making fun of Chris Simms :)

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Friend: The thread isn't really about Kellen Mond. It's about having some fun ragging on Chris Simms who famously predicted Zach Wilson would be a better NFL QB than Trevor Lawrence. 

That's what is important here - making fun of Chris Simms :)

Oh, ok.  What does Colin Cowherd think about this?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“I don’t do rankings for popularity, I do them because I want to be a GM one day."

- Chris Simms on ranking Kellen Mond over Justin Fields, 2021

@JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF 

Me vs Chris Simms in a wannabe GM contest.  I will destroy. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Wait really. Kinda interested in this take haha.

His argument is that the Jags have a really easy schedule compared to other potential division winners (similar to Philly last year). He also says that Trevor Lawrence is already an elite QB and Pederson is a big time coach. His biggest point is that a lot of the other teams who people love (Chiefs, Bengals, Bills) have brutal schedules. He thinks the Jets are overhyped and won't make the playoffs. 

I'm always skeptical of going too crazy about schedules in August, but I get his argument. My biggest concern would be that people are crowning Lawrence after like 9 good games in year 2 (a bit premature, IMO). I think Lawrence is good, but you have people like Nick Wright saying that he is already a top ten NFL player (not even QB, player), which seems very much over the top

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

His argument is that the Jags have a really easy schedule compared to other potential division winners (similar to Philly last year). He also says that Trevor Lawrence is already an elite QB and Pederson is a big time coach. His biggest point is that a lot of the other teams who people love (Chiefs, Bengals, Bills) have brutal schedules. He thinks the Jets are overhyped and won't make the playoffs. 

I get the "easy schedule" thing I just don't think the Jags are that good yet. 

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm always skeptical of going too crazy about schedules in August, but I get his argument. My biggest concern would be that people are crowning Lawrence after like 9 good games in year 2 (a bit premature, IMO). I think Lawrence is good, but you have people like Nick Wright saying that he is already a top ten NFL player (not even QB, player), which seems very much over the top

Agree, I have yet to see it with him at all. I generally buy the upside but the sample size of him being disappointing/underwhelming is larger at this stage than of him being anything special.

Granted, it would not at all shock me to see him take a leap this year. Third year seems like a good leap year for QBs -- we saw it with Josh Allen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get the "easy schedule" thing I just don't think the Jags are that good yet. 

Agree, I have yet to see it with him at all. I generally buy the upside but the sample size of him being disappointing/underwhelming is larger at this stage than of him being anything special.

Granted, it would not at all shock me to see him take a leap this year. Third year seems like a good leap year for QBs -- we saw it with Josh Allen.

Now that a legit alpha #1 is in the building, would not shock me at all to see Lawrence have a year 3 breakout like Luck had:

Something like 5K yards and 40 TD

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why do people assume anyone who makes good money is worthy of our jealousy?  He is laughably bad at his job, and that is worthy of our mockery.  Or are you one of those folks who think someone's worth to society is decided upon entirely by the free market?

Lol "one of those  folks" To be clear I am envious of nothing. My post was def not directed toward you I would have quoted if it was. It was a generalization of the thread and the silly vitriol directed at Simms. Hey he is paid alot to do what we do for entertainment and isnt much better it than we are. Yes some people are jealous of these type things. NOT YOU

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Am I missing something?  Why is the top thread on this board about a scrub qb no ones ever heard of?

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one answered me.  Who is Kellen Mond and why is there a thread about him on this board?

Should I start a John Wofford thread if he gets cut?

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kellen Mond has been signed back by the Browns.  Hahahaha

See?  It’s a fun topic.  Knew you’d come around eventually.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“I don’t do rankings for popularity, I do them because I want to be a GM one day."

- Chris Simms on ranking Kellen Mond over Justin Fields, 2021

@JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF 

So far Justin Fields looks like a RB ..but yeah ..got this one wrong.

22 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Oh god, dont get me started on QBASE.  They had Bakery ******* Mayflower as the great QB prospect of all time.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* RB who Vegas gives the 9th-best odds at winning NFL MVP in 2023

I'm not ready to take my victory lap yet but the fact people keep doubling down on the nonsense spewed about Fields while ignoring the tremendous growth he had last year as a passer in the worst situation possible,  is some strange agenda hold over from the draft or some weird thinly veiled defense for taking Wilson .....and it's only going to make my victory lap that much more obnoxious when he does arrive and he will.

To reiterate,  young QB's in that situation, on that bad of a team, literally tanking on purpose to the point it looked like they were trying to sabotage, dont improve like this while simultaneously breaking an NFL record, it literally, never happens, ever. 

Games 1-3: 23/45 (51.1%) 297 pass yd 2 TD 4 INT 50.0 rtg

Games 4-6: 40/70 (57.1%) 572 pass yd 2 TD (2.9 TD%) 1 INT (1.4 INT%) 87.3 rtg

Games 7-11: 73/113 (64.6%) 773 pass yd 9 TD (7.9 TED%) 3 INT (2.7 INT%) 99.9 rtg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1