Shedeur Sanders

Wit

Its time to bang the table for this kid.

Being a successful QB in the nfl is not about the physical tools as much anymore. They need to be able to handle the mental pressure and the ups and downs without losing confidence. He has been trained from a baby seeing his Dads hype machine, and knows what the NFL is like. 

If we have the opportunity we need to take this kid.

ETA: Not sure of he declares this year though. 

• Thumb Down 1

Have to wait and see him play some good teams.  He has looked very good so far but the biggest mistake you could make is draft him due to his name and dad.

In any case the Jets are not drafting a QB high next year.  We might take a guy later in the draft.  And it does not matter if we 'should' draft one, we won't.

They will stick with Wilson as a backup and Rodgers is coming back.  Like it or not.  We will probably end up with some 6th or 7th rounder.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Have to wait and see him play some good teams.  He has looked very good so far but the biggest mistake you could make is draft him due to his name and dad.

In any case the Jets are not drafting a QB high next year.  We might take a guy later in the draft.  And it does not matter if we 'should' draft one, we won't.

They will stick with Wilson as a backup and Rodgers is coming back.  Like it or not.  We will probably end up with some 6th or 7th rounder.

If the rest of this season is all Zach, and it's pretty much the same Zach we've seen these two weeks, AND we miss the playoffs....I'll be shocked if he's on the team next year.  At that point there is no selling the fanbase on his "rehab", and you will have learned by then that he's not a good enough backup to lead this team.  There is literally zero reason to keep him around. 

I know the narrative that the Jets are incompetent and/or they are somehow committed to Zach forever regardless of how he looks(they obviously weren't going to cut bait with a 2nd overall pick 2 years after drafting him), but I just don't see it.  I don't doubt the plan was keep him as the backup until Rodgers is ready to hang 'em up, but like it or not this changes things.  If he fails this year, he's gone.  There's no more "rehabbing" to be had.  

Jets will then draft a QB.  Only question is, which round?  If Sanders is there though, they'd be fools not to at least consider taking him.  

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If the rest of this season is all Zach, and it's pretty much the same Zach we've seen these two weeks, AND we miss the playoffs....I'll be shocked if he's on the team next year.  At that point there is no selling the fanbase on his "rehab", and you will have learned by then that he's not a good enough backup to lead this team.  There is literally zero reason to keep him around. 

I know the narrative that the Jets are incompetent and/or they are somehow committed to Zach forever regardless of how he looks(they obviously weren't going to cut bait with a 2nd overall pick 2 years after drafting him), but I just don't see it.  I don't doubt the plan was keep him as the backup until Rodgers is ready to hang 'em up, but like it or not this changes things.  If he fails this year, he's gone.  There's no more "rehabbing" to be had.  

Jets will then draft a QB.  Only question is, which round?  If Sanders is there though, they'd be fools not to at least consider taking him.  

I don't disagree, it just seems the way the jets have operated they will not go high with a QB.  Rodgers being back will mean they might draft a guy but not high but i'd be perfectly happy if they did draft a QB high though.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I don't disagree, it just seems the way the jets have operated they will not go high with a QB.  Rodgers being back will mean they might draft a guy but not high but i'd be perfectly happy if they did draft a QB high though.

I think I'd be fine with them not taking one in the 1st, but IMO you gotta take one in the 2nd(trade) or 3rd.  I think the crop of top end guys is so deep that you can probably get a really good one in the late 2nd/early 3rd.  I'm hoping, even if we're competitive this year, we are able to sell off Huff to restock our 2nd.  Walk away from the draft with an OT in the 1st, a QB in the 2nd, and then either a WR or LB in the 3rd.  Then you've got two 4ths to add some depth/development guys.  OG, LB/WR, DT.  Any of those spots.  

But still like I said, it'll be tough to pass on a kid like Sanders if he's there.  I expect all 3 of Williams, Maye, and Sanders to go by pick 8 or so(assuming all of them actually declare), so I doubt we'll even have a shot at him.  Stranger things have happened though.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, Wit said:

Being a successful QB in the nfl is not about the physical tools as much anymore. They need to be able to handle the mental pressure and the ups and downs without losing confidence. He has been trained from a baby seeing his Dads hype machine, and knows what the NFL is like. 

His ability to read a defense is impressive. Has so much physical talent and would be easy to root for. Not happening here though.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, fanglewad quagmire said:

looking great while playing easy teams... sounds familiar doesnt it????

Sanders >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zach

Zach actually had talent to work with at BYU.  Sanders does not, especially without Hunter.  Big difference.  You think Zach could have even won that game against CSU?  No chance.  The second they were hit in the mouth he would have folded.  Sanders will be a quality NFL QB.  He's the type of kid who won't allow himself to fail.  

Doesn't matter for us though since I highly doubt he's coming out this year.  He'll come back with a stronger Colorado team next year, and probably win the Heisman and get drafted 1st overall.

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why you think that? He’d be a top pick this year 

Coach Prime has said he'll be coming back for another year.

For college QBs, why rush to the NFL anymore?   Stay an extra year, be better prepared to play in the NFL.  Most of your good college QBs are making 7 figures in college as is.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

For college QBs, why rush to the NFL anymore?   Stay an extra year, be better prepared to play in the NFL.  Most of your good college QBs are making 7 figures in college as is.  

It’s a big risk especially if you’re a projected top pick. Why risk injury when you’d be guaranteed big $$$. Sure they got NIL now but that doesn’t compare to NFL where he’s most likely sign a $40m contract as a top 10 pick 

18 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I would completely understand if he goes back.  His dad's program and he's trying to build something special.  I can see him feeling like he'd be letting him down if he leaves this soon.  Not to mention he'd be the clear favorite for top pick in 2025, as opposed to 2024 where he could go anywhere from like 6th or 7th to 20th.  

That said, I don't agree with your reasoning.  Look at Matt Leinart.  Dude was all but a lock to go 1st overall to a great organization like the 49ers if he declared for the 2005 draft.  Instead he decided to go back, he ended up dropping to 10th the next year and ended up in Arizona.  Add in injury risk, and if you're a pretty safe bet for the top-10, the choice should be pretty simple IMO.  Only thing that makes Shadeur a unique case is that he plays for his dad.  If Deion wasn't the coach there, I'd say there is no way he goes back.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I would completely understand if he goes back.  His dad's program and he's trying to build something special.  I can see him feeling like he'd be letting him down if he leaves this soon.  Not to mention he'd be the clear favorite for top pick in 2025, as opposed to 2024 where he could go anywhere from like 6th or 7th to 20th.  

That said, I don't agree with your reasoning.  Look at Matt Leinart.  Dude was all but a lock to go 1st overall to a great organization like the 49ers if he declared for the 2005 draft.  Instead he decided to go back, he ended up dropping to 10th the next year and ended up in Arizona.  Add in injury risk, and if you're a pretty safe bet for the top-10, the choice should be pretty simple IMO.  Only thing that makes Shadeur a unique case is that he plays for his dad.  If Deion wasn't the coach there, I'd say there is no way he goes back.

He’s trending towards being a top 10 pick if he comes out and could well supplant Maye as qb2, and a top 5 pick.  You can’t get much better than that.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why you think that? He’d be a top pick this year 

His pops said it in some interview already. I heard it live but don’t remember what interview. Plus he’s getting NIL money. Next year he would likely be top overall pick but this year prob behind Caleb and Maye. Not to mention help build Colorado program a little bit more.  

you never know but highly likely he waits one more year. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, Wit said:

I think he goes back to school to play another year for his old man.