Lost my Dad exactly 1 year ago...

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Crazy. Sometimes it feels like last week, and sometimes like 5 years ago. Been a rough year, but here we are. 

Miss ya, Dad. 

Damn, that seriously feels like yesterday. Rough year for sure, so sorry!

• Sympathy 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:40 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Crazy. Sometimes it feels like last week, and sometimes like 5 years ago. Been a rough year, but here we are. 

Miss ya, Dad. 

Remember you going thru that and I also remember shortly thereafter your son had a medical issue. 

It hurts like hell to lose our loved ones but I while this sounds crazy I truly believe this, they are taken for a reason which many of us including myself can't always understand.

When your son was going thru his medical issue -you can be damn certain your dad was there, watching over him and ensuring his well being. 

To many that sounds crazy but I have experienced it personally and truly believe it.

They leave us but they are certainly still around. 

Celebrate your dad's life and when looking at your son just know - he was there and always will be.

God bless.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Trotter said:

Remember you going thru that and I also remember shortly thereafter your son had a medical issue. 

It hurts like hell to lose our loved ones but I while this sounds crazy I truly believe this, they are taken for a reason which many of us including myself can't always understand.

When your son was going thru his medical issue -you can be damn certain your dad was there, watching over him and ensuring his well being. 

To many that sounds crazy but I have experienced it personally and truly believe it.

They leave us but they are certainly still around. 

Celebrate your dad's life and when looking at your son just know - he was there and always will be.

God bless.

Man, does this hit home. My Dad’s cancer came back in November 2021. I remember him opening the front door on Thanksgiving day; he was hunched over, his complexion was orange, his voice raspy and weak.

The next 20 months were a slow, painful decline. He was handsome 6’2” guy and to see him wither down to 135 pounds and stuck in bed was horrific. When he died in June it was a relief. The suffering was over.

I was in a really bad place mentally the last few years, for obvious reasons. I’ve struggled with clinical depression since I was 14, for one. And on top of that I was dealing with Dad’s sickness, a stressful job, career insecurity, and living in a studio apartment with minimal natural light. I was either on the couch or in bed; there was no living space. After four years in that shoebox it felt like the walls were caving in on me. My social life was zero and I’d lost my sense of self. 

Another wrinkle in this story is my 74 year old Mom has Alzheimer’s. So when Dad died in late June, my brother and I immediately agreed that she couldn’t be alone. I moved back home August 1st. It’s been wonderful to be in the family house again. I have a backyard, multiple bedrooms, a nice kitchen, a living room, washer and dryer, etc. No rent is nice, too.

Being with Mom has been extremely rewarding. She’s pretty much gone cognitively; I have to prepare her meals and make sure she bathes, stuff like that. But she’s still the same sweet, loving soul she‘s always been and I enjoy her company. 

I went down to four days a week at work and have been going out again and seeing friends. Nights on the town in New York every weekend. I feel back. And I doubt that happens if Dad didn’t die when he did. So in a sense, he left me a parting gift and now I’m getting out of the hole I was in. 

I’ve always despised the “everything happens for a reason” line that’s tossed around. But maybe there’s some truth to it, if you’re lucky.

• Sympathy 2

I feel your loss.  Lost my Dad 2 years ago last April and I blurt out "Miss you, Dad"  about once a day.  

I tried to add a sympathy response and ended up putting an ugh on someone else's reply, so I give up.  Glad that @PS17 found the silver lining.  I haven't beyond that i was lucky to be as close to him for as long as I was.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Man, does this hit home. My Dad’s cancer came back in November 2021. I remember him opening the front door on Thanksgiving day; he was hunched over, his complexion was orange, his voice raspy and weak.

The next 20 months were a slow, painful decline. He was handsome 6’2” guy and to see him wither down to 135 pounds and stuck in bed was horrific. When he died in June it was a relief. The suffering was over.

I was in a really bad place mentally the last few years, for obvious reasons. I’ve struggled with clinical depression since I was 14, for one. And on top of that I was dealing with Dad’s sickness, a stressful job, career insecurity, and living in a studio apartment with minimal natural light. I was either on the couch or in bed; there was no living space. After four years in that shoebox it felt like the walls were caving in on me. My social life was zero and I’d lost my sense of self. 

Another wrinkle in this story is my 74 year old Mom has Alzheimer’s. So when Dad died in late June, my brother and I immediately agreed that she couldn’t be alone. I moved back home August 1st. It’s been wonderful to be in the family house again. I have a backyard, multiple bedrooms, a nice kitchen, a living room, washer and dryer, etc. No rent is nice, too.

Being with Mom has been extremely rewarding. She’s pretty much gone cognitively; I have to prepare her meals and make sure she bathes, stuff like that. But she’s still the same sweet, loving soul she‘s always been and I enjoy her company. 

I went down to four days a week at work and have been going out again and seeing friends. Nights on the town in New York every weekend. I feel back. And I doubt that happens if Dad didn’t die when he did. So in a sense, he left me a parting gift and now I’m getting out of the hole I was in. 

I’ve always despised the “everything happens for a reason” line that’s tossed around. But maybe there’s some truth to it, if you’re lucky.

Reading your words I take it you are a relatively young man who loves his parents very much. Sounds like you have been through a lot and handled tough times straight on

As a complete stranger I can sense your emotions from what you wrote and can only leave you with my perspective which is not much but hopefully brings some comfort.

your dad knows exactly what you are doing for your mom and is so damn proud

as a father who has raised two grown children, I am not looking to leave this earth at this very time, but if it does happen I can go with the comfort of knowing my children can move forward.

your dad sees that in you

may you continue to find comfort however is best for you and wishing your family well

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, Trotter said:

Reading your words I take it you are a relatively young man who loves his parents very much. Sounds like you have been through a lot and handled tough times straight on

As a complete stranger I can sense your emotions from what you wrote and can only leave you with my perspective which is not much but hopefully brings some comfort.

your dad knows exactly what you are doing for your mom and is so damn proud

as a father who has raised two grown children, I am not looking to leave this earth at this very time, but if it does happen I can go with the comfort of knowing my children can move forward.

your dad sees that in you

may you continue to find comfort however is best for you and wishing your family well

Thank you. ❤️

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Sorry for your loss.

Lost my dad in 2002. A few years ago I hit the “milestone” of I’ve lived longer without him than I have with him which was kind of tough to realize and I’m also approaching the same age he was when he died.

Emotions change (for me anyway) after all this time. Shock, disbelief, anger, grief, hope, anger, numb…then it gets easier and then I felt guilty for moving on…then I know he’d be laughing at me for wasting a moment’s thought on him and would want me to just enjoy my life, which I have.

• Sympathy 5

Very powerful and personal stories of losing loved ones with each one wholly significant and important to  the one telling their accounts yet fully felt with a shared sense of loss by all of us as we read these important heart felt words of loss. We are all truly blessed to hold our loved ones so close.

It's been 36 years since my hero passed after a 4 year battle with cancer. I was blessed to share his final two weeks while caring for him when he died at home . It was a time that I found my own living faith while being inwardly broken and contemplating my own existence by the reality of what my eyes were seeing unfold before me... Every time I hear the first chirping of birds in the early morning  I still think of that time and the hope of each new day which was  especially comforting and welcome after each long overnight vigil.  A beautiful, solemn moment that comes to mind was my brother and I, together, dressing his feather light body after he passed.   I am now about the age when he passed and I still thank God for the gift that he was/is and to have been raised by my greatest hero, my dad. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 3