Aaron Rodgers was the right move and still is

Jdeet

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

really don't know what we're gonna do without those 2nd round picks.

Breece was a 2nd Rd pick 

Jalen hurts was a second rd pick 

These are the players that build the franchise

Just because Joe Douglas uses them on dopes like Denzel mims doesn't mean these are bad picks 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Derek Carr has flaws but at least he is a current nfl player not someone who should have retired two years ago 

Some Fans are in denial about how bad that trade was 

100 million, 2 2nds the trade down which is basically a third Rd all for 4 plays 

He’s playing next year and makes less than Carr 😆

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's easy to predict a player in his 19th season gets hurt 

So by this logic it's a lock he gets hurt next year?  Also who is "Tom Brady".  I bet Tampa wouldn't have minded trading a couple 2nds for what he gave them.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Breece was a 2nd Rd pick 

Jalen hurts was a second rd pick 

These are the players that build the franchise

Just because Joe Douglas uses them on dopes like Denzel mims doesn't mean these are bad picks 

What's funny is I'm willing to bet you were sucking Mims' pecker back when we drafted him.  Most people were, from what I remember.  Now though, of course that was a stupid move....weird how that works.  Also no one is saying 2nds are bad picks.  They're lottery tickets, just like 1st rounders but to a lesser extent.  I wouldn't trade 2nds for any player, but a proven QB who in his worst season still would have been one of our best QBs of all time?  Yeah, that seems like a worthwhile price to pay.  

I get your schtick is to whine about everything, but like...can you just stick to the stuff that's actually worth whining about?  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

So by this logic it's a lock he gets hurt next year?  Also who is "Tom Brady".  I bet Tampa wouldn't have minded trading a couple 2nds for what he gave them.

What's funny is I'm willing to bet you were sucking Mims' pecker back when we drafted him.  Most people were, from what I remember.  Now though, of course that was a stupid move....weird how that works.  Also no one is saying 2nds are bad picks.  They're lottery tickets, just like 1st rounders but to a lesser extent.  I wouldn't trade 2nds for any player, but a proven QB who in his worst season still would have been one of our best QBs of all time?  Yeah, that seems like a worthwhile price to pay.  

I get your schtick is to whine about everything, but like...can you just stick to the stuff that's actually worth whining about?  

Rodger Staubach was a proven QB and a Free agent.  

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Good post.

On Aarons last appearance on the Pat Macfee show, he talked about the talent on the team and went through our entire defense, naming names, stats, etc. Never heard a QB talk in such detail about the other side of the ball. Was kinda nice to hear, and cements (at least in my sick mind) that Aaron really is a team guy.

And like you, my impression of Aaron Rodgers had totally changed since coming here. Love the guy, quirks and all.

I guess it's a good thing he doesn't think we need to score points to win games.  That's our QB.  

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

So by this logic it's a lock he gets hurt next year? 

Pretty much dude 

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Also who is "Tom Brady". 

The greatest cheater of all time 

Brady takes stem cells and growth hormone and anything he can find to be better 

Aaron rodgers takes the wrong drugs. Ayahuasca and ivermectin doesn't do sh*t 

• Upvote 1

When it comes to team building there is no sure thing. There's risk in every single move that every GM makes.

Judging them on the results of a statistically small sample size is a bad approach IMO. We all want results and we want them yesterday, I get it. I want a GM that is prioritizing the right things and seems to have a good process behind making decisions. 

I agree that going after Rodgers was the best move we could have made at QB last year. It was a high risk, high reward move. The results weren't good this year. Maybe it never works out - doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. I know that concept will be lost on many on here whose heads will explode.

Think of it this way - if you go all-in preflop with pocket aces and don't win, it doesn't mean you made the wrong decision. That's not to say going after Aaron Rodgers was the equivalent to holding pocket aces - I'm using the example to demonstrate that using results is a poor way of evaluating decisions in a statistically small sample size.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Pretty much dude 

Stem cells aren't banned by the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You don't know me at all do you? 

I mean, that's true actually.  You probably didn't like Mims....after we drafted him, at least.  You're a whiny guy.  You were probably a fan before the draft, but afterwards it was probably a lot of "reach, bust, wasted pick" etc.  I doubt you've liked many of our draft picks if I had to guess.

Pretty much dude 

lol OK bud.  Not looking to go down the wormhole with ya.  Also "pretty much"?  Just say he will.  Stick to your guns.  

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When it comes to team building there is no sure thing. There's risk in every single move that every GM makes.

Judging them on the results of a statistically small sample size is a bad approach IMO. We all want results and we want them yesterday, I get it. I want a GM that is prioritizing the right things and seems to have a good process behind making decisions. 

I agree that going after Rodgers was the best move we could have made at QB last year. It was a high risk, high reward move. The results weren't good this year. Maybe it never works out - doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. I know that concept will be lost on many on here whose heads will explode.

I agree 

16 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I cannot believe everyone is now destroying the Aaron Rodgers trade. It makes no sense that Jets fans didn’t want a chance to win. And maybe win a lot. I guess those that wanted us to bring in Carr, Garoppolo, Minshew, or some other jag, think we could have been a competing playoff team? And what happens next year? Those guys are not good. 

As far as Aaron, there was always a risk that he would get hurt or lose a step, but he was our best option. Period. We didn’t have a chance to get Lamar Jackson. That was not ever happening. So, please stop with that. He was never leaving Baltimore. 

We needed to bring in a QB and we brought in a hall of fame QB coming off of 2 MVPs in the last 3 years. How is that a bad move for what turned out to be two 2nd round picks? In retrospect, yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly and yeah, we should have had a better backup option, but no backup was bringing this team to the playoffs. Our offensive line is so putrid that any QB would have been destroyed. 

I admit I didn’t like Aaron Rodgers, as a person or his personality, at all, before he came here. But he surprised me how much of a team guy he has become. How his players love him and he is a true leader. Yeah some say there is still a selfishness to his attempt to try and comeback quickly. But is that being selfish or is it his desire to help the team win games? Once we were eliminated from the playoffs, he stopped talking about coming back. 

Yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly. But this guy will be here for at least 2 more years. And no one else we could have acquired would actually give us a chance to be a special team, with the limitations of the talent on offense. Aaron Rodgers was able to work with basically one guy in Davante Adams, in Green Bay, and getting them to compete for the playoffs and their defense was nothing compared to ours. 

I suppose you can not like the person or his beliefs or his weirdness. He was always our best QB option. And still is. We just need to put more guys around him and pray he doesn’t get hurt. But isn’t that what every team hopes for with their star QB?

Incorrect. The right move was to continue to build in the draft and sign a journeyman veteran like Gardner Minshew to QB the team. 

If the only move was to trade for Rodgers, you might have a point, but we did not just get Rodgers, we also ceded control of the offensive roster to him. So, if you want to defend Rodgers as the right move, you must include Lazard, Cobb, Cook, Turner and Boyle. Perhaps you include Hackett too? Would he be the OC if the Jets went with Minshew? Hackett is friends with Robert so probably yes, but you never know.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This would only be an accurate statement if he retired after this year. The only correct statement currently is “for ?”

He's just going to get older next year 

And be 2 years from playing football 

Remember what Watson looked like after 2 years away? 

• Upvote 1

In a league starved for quarterback production, no other team made a play for Rodgers. Not a single one.

What’s more likely - that the rest of the teams correctly concluded that Rodgers wasn’t worth trading for, or the New York Jets, led by decision-makers Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson, were just more savvy and smarter than everyone else? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

You can't predict the future bud.  Gotta make a call, and trading for Rodgers was the right call.  How is that hard to understand?

I would have prefered another owner, GM and HC had made the call before I would call it definitively the right call.   You could make the alternative argument that Woody, JD and Saleh being on the same page and making the call makes it definitively the most a$$ backwards call ever.  Of course that's in hinnysight.

He's just going to get older next year 

And be 2 years from playing football 

Remember what Watson looked like after 2 years away? 

That’s not a cogent response to my post. You can’t say “for 4 plays” - it’s factually incorrect. It would only be correct if he retired after this season. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That’s not a cogent response to my post. You can’t say “for 4 plays” - it’s factually incorrect. It would only be correct if he retired after this season. 

He still could dude 

Or what you believe what he says on McAfee? 

This dude pretended he'd come back from Achilles in 4 months he's a pathological liar 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

In a league starved for quarterback production, no other team made a play for Rodgers. Not a single one.

What’s more likely - that the rest of the teams correctly concluded that Rodgers wasn’t worth trading for, or the New York Jets, led by decision-makers Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson, were just more savvy and smarter than everyone else? 

How many teams who needed a QB had the cap space to handle his contract at that point? Let's go through the list if you have one. Of those teams how many had a top defensive unit and some elite young playmakers to pair with a QB to potentially make a run?

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How many teams who needed a QB had the cap space to handle his contract at that point? Let's go through the list if you have one. Of those teams how many had a top defensive unit and some elite young playmakers to pair with a QB to potentially make a run?

He's cap hit this year wouldn't have been a problem for any team needing a QB.  It probably wouldn't be next year either.  It's the out years were it's going to be a problem.  As the cap goes up it theoretically becomes less of a problem. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Oh yeah? Perhaps he makes it 5 plays this time? 

A whole quarter maybe? 

If he goes down next year then it’s clean house and they’re not stuck with another 3 years of a bum QB like Carr digging the hole deeper to nowhere

it was the best move regardless

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Plen T said:

If he goes down next year then it’s clean house and they’re not stuck with another 3 years of a bum QB like Carr digging the hole deeper to nowhere

it was the best move regardless

You are aware that Rodgers has void years going out to 2028? 

His 2025 cap hit is like 60 mil 

It's a toxic contract and two wasted years of the young cores prime 

• Upvote 2