New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

3 hours ago, faba said:

Nunez has been the one bright spot for this bullpen.  Diekman should be released yesterday

Nunez blew the lead in the 8th but fortunately Mets scored 2 in the 9th and Diaz closed out the final 4 outs. 
.500 again!

On 7/7/2024 at 4:53 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Nunez blew the lead in the 8th but fortunately Mets scored 2 in the 9th and Diaz closed out the final 4 outs. 
.500 again!

Gotta love Lindor right now. Mid summer is always when he's at his best.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

This manager has got sh*t for brains. He sucks.

I'm on the fence about it. The Mets have such horrible history with pushing past caps in the interest of short-term stuff. I think it's safe to say that Scott is too important for the next several years to **** around with risk, especially in a July game when the team is cruising around .500 before the break. If they made a firm call to cap him at 75 then so be it. The amount of times this franchise went the other way on this kinda thing and got burned is nuts. Nice to see them sticking to their guns for a change. Maybe they get burned by it when things come down to the wire but we'll see.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm on the fence about it. The Mets have such horrible history with pushing past caps in the interest of short-term stuff. I think it's safe to say that Scott is too important for the next several years to **** around with risk, especially in a July game when the team is cruising around .500 before the break. If they made a firm call to cap him at 75 then so be it. The amount of times this franchise went the other way on this kinda thing and got burned is nuts. Nice to see them sticking to their guns for a change. Maybe they get burned by it when things come down to the wire but we'll see.

The saying goes that a manager probably won’t win you many games but he can lose you a bunch. This dope cost the Mets two games on this trip because he can’t manage a pitching staff. On 4th of July, he should never had let Houser pitch to Winker. Should have walked him and taken his chances with the other guys. Today is inexcusable. The same guy who let Scott throw 100 pitches in last start decides he has to come out because he reached some mythical pitch count when he had given up one hit and the guy up he had retired twice. As if that isn’t bad enough, he brings in a righty, making his first mlb appearance, to pitch to the two best hitters on the Pirates, both of whom are lefties.This guy is so far in over his head that I’m shocked he hasn’t drowned already. They should let him go back to the Yankees and sit next to Boone and answer the phone when Cashman and the analytics guys call to tell him what to do. He is horrible.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

The saying goes that a manager probably won’t win you many games but he can lose you a bunch. This dope cost the Mets two games on this trip because he can’t manage a pitching staff. On 4th of July, he should never had let Houser pitch to Winker. Should have walked him and taken his chances with the other guys. Today is inexcusable. The same guy who let Scott throw 100 pitches in last start decides he has to come out because he reached some mythical pitch count when he had given up one hit and the guy up he had retired twice. As if that isn’t bad enough, he brings in a righty, making his first mlb appearance, to pitch to the two best hitters on the Pirates, both of whom are lefties.This guy is so far in over his head that I’m shocked he hasn’t drowned already. They should let him go back to the Yankees and sit next to Boone and answer the phone when Cashman and the analytics guys call to tell him what to do. He is horrible.

I get it. I'm just saying I get having a hard cap on Scott right now too. Kid's a beast. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

I'm not sure how much leeway a manager even has anymore regarding pitching staffs.  It's all about analytics.  The manager is there to implement the analytics as well as keep the players happy (I think the Yankees call it "care factor").  I don't like it but that's what the game is about these days.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not sure how much leeway a manager even has anymore regarding pitching staffs.  It's all about analytics.  The manager is there to implement the analytics as well as keep the players happy (I think the Yankees call it "care factor").  I don't like it but that's what the game is about these days.

You made my point on the 4 th of July game disaster when you brought up analytics. Winker had a career BA vs Houser of.450, with 5 hrs and 19 rbi. He came up as a PH , one out , bottom of the 8th in a scoreless game. Any analytic guy would know this is a bad matchup, and take the bat out of Winker’s hands and walk him. That’s what that crap is for. Not this dope. He is doing a job that is way above his pay grade and is costing this team games.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not sure that call was about analytics so much as it was common sense. Scott was on a 5-day rotation for the first time in his career and threw 99 pitches the last start.

Put it this way: If they don't plan to take him out at a firm 75, then let's say he doesn't get out of that inning the next AB. Then what? Is someone warming up? If not now you're into 2-3 extra AB's, possibly even putting him close to 100 pitches. How does that bleed into the next start? Rinse, repeat.

I get it, the point is to win games, but can any of us honestly say they haven't seen the Mets push that above situation countless times and wreck a guy in the long-term? Scott is the best RHP prospect that the Mets have had since Matt Harvey, and ironically it was that exact scenario that they played opposite 20 times too many with him. 

IMO yesterday is one of those days where you really don't know if it was dumb or smart until the end of the year. If the point is to prioritize August and Sept to make a playoff push then you don't risk redlining a guy in July.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sure that call was about analytics so much as it was common sense. Scott was on a 5-day rotation for the first time in his career and threw 99 pitches the last start.

Put it this way: If they don't plan to take him out at a firm 75, then let's say he doesn't get out of that inning the next AB. Then what? Is someone warming up? If not now you're into 2-3 extra AB's, possibly even putting him close to 100 pitches. How does that bleed into the next start? Rinse, repeat.

I get it, the point is to win games, but can any of us honestly say they haven't seen the Mets push that above situation countless times and wreck a guy in the long-term? Scott is the best RHP prospect that the Mets have had since Matt Harvey, and ironically it was that exact scenario that they played opposite 20 times too many with him. 

IMO yesterday is one of those days where you really don't know if it was dumb or smart until the end of the year. If the point is to prioritize August and Sept to make a playoff push then you don't risk redlining a guy in July.

It might not be about pitch count.   It could be "don't let the hitters see him for the 3rd time" (or something like that)

If you want the pitch cap stuff, fine i guess.

I would advocate then for it to be capped at the end of the inning. If you only are going to allow a pitcher to get thru two of the the three hitters in an inning wtf is the fricking point. Either dont be a pussy and let him throw to one more batter to get out of the inning, or just start the 6th with the bullpen. Trying to have it both ways results in failure in everything, not just baseball.

The old adage is that if you're at .500 at the AS break you've got just as good a shot as anyone, and if the Mets just take one of these games against the Rockies, the Mets will go into the break right at that. This is the most remarkable turnaround I've seen from this team in almost 40 years of loving them. They were 11 games under .500 only like a month ago and the season was left for dead. Really unbelievable stuff. 

On 7/11/2024 at 9:31 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

The old adage is that if you're at .500 at the AS break you've got just as good a shot as anyone, and if the Mets just take one of these games against the Rockies, the Mets will go into the break right at that. This is the most remarkable turnaround I've seen from this team in almost 40 years of loving them. They were 11 games under .500 only like a month ago and the season was left for dead. Really unbelievable stuff. 

Let’s get the sweep and go +5 games over… setting them up for a WC birth. ATL only 3 games up!

Sweep GIF by CUW Baseball

Big rumblings that Soto willbe signed by the Mets in 2025! They gotta do it. Soto is a generational talent.  look what the phillies have recelty accopmplishe since signing Harper. no they havent won a WS but they have been rising steadily over the last few years, and you can place that on having aquired Harper.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mets have been big on two way players the last few years. They seem to adore McLean, wonder how much that played a part in the Benge pick. Santucci seems like a shoot for the stars pick. 

Think he’s a bit more than that 6-1, 90 k’s in 50 innings. 3.31 era. Was the Friday night starter, meaning he is going up against the #1 guy in a league that sent 4 teams to the CWS.

A trip down memory lane. Mets look to have dodged a bullet.

The Texas Rangers selected Rocker in the first round, with the third overall selection, reuniting him with his former Vanderbilt teammate Jack Leiter.[18] On July 26, 2022, Rocker signed with Texas for a $5.2 million signing bonus.[19] Rocker did not appear in a game after signing, instead working out at the Rangers’ spring training facility.[20] Following the 2022 season, Rocker played for the Surprise Saguaros of the Arizona Fall League.[21] Over 6 games in the AFL, Rocker went 2–1 with a 4.50 ERA and 18 strikeouts over 14 innings.[22]

Rocker received a non-roster invitation to major league spring training in 2023.[23] He made 6 starts for the High-A Hickory Crawdads, posting a 2-2 record and 3.86 ERA with 42 strikeouts in 28.0 innings pitched.[24] On May 16, 2023, it was announced that Rocker would require Tommy John surgery, ending his season.[25]

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Texas Rangers selected Rocker in the first round, with the third overall selection, reuniting him with his former Vanderbilt teammate Jack Leiter.[18] On July 26, 2022, Rocker signed with Texas for a $5.2 million signing bonus.[19] Rocker did not appear in a game after signing, instead working out at the Rangers’ spring training facility.[20] Following the 2022 season, Rocker played for the Surprise Saguaros of the Arizona Fall League.[21] Over 6 games in the AFL, Rocker went 2–1 with a 4.50 ERA and 18 strikeouts over 14 innings.[22]

Rocker received a non-roster invitation to major league spring training in 2023.[23] He made 6 starts for the High-A Hickory Crawdads, posting a 2-2 record and 3.86 ERA with 42 strikeouts in 28.0 innings pitched.[24] On May 16, 2023, it was announced that Rocker would require Tommy John surgery, ending his season.[25]

That was Brodie that never signed him, right?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, section314 said:

That was Brodie that never signed him, right?

Yes. And we got the same pick the following year and took Parada! That isn't looking to be a good pick at this moment. He has struggled mightely. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yes. And we got the same pick the following year and took Parada! That isn't looking to be a good pick at this moment. He has struggled mightely. 

Yeah, it’s a surprise. Thought he would be the replacement for Alonso.

On 7/15/2024 at 6:59 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Interestingly enough that's the same draft they landed Scott and Vasil.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:50 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Been playing really well again recently. AA ball is no joke, it's not abnormal for guys to struggle there for a year or two.

• Upvote 1

From today:

"After building up to 4.2 innings and 67 pitches in his most recent rehab outing with Syracuse this past Sunday, Senga looked like he might have had a chance at making his next start with the big club, but the Mets will instead send him out for one more tune-up appearance in the minors. Assuming Senga is able to build on his pitch count and experiences no setbacks during his upcoming minor-league outing, he could return from the 60-day injured list to make his 2024 Mets debut during the club's home series with Atlanta that begins July 25"

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Been playing really well again recently. AA ball is no joke, it's not abnormal for guys to struggle there for a year or two.

Well that's great news! I haven't been following the ML teams since the Mets started being relavant again. With Pete most likely leaving, having a quality bat at 1st would be helpful. Baty, Vientos, Parada vying for at bats will be a good thing. How is Acuna doing? Ritter seems to be stroking well... but he is 27 now. Sucks that Jett is done until next year

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well that's great news! I haven't been following the ML teams since the Mets started being relavant again. With Pete most likely leaving, having a quality bat at 1st would be helpful. Baty, Vientos, Parada vying for at bats will be a good thing. How is Acuna doing? Ritter seems to be stroking well... but he is 27 now. Sucks that Jett is done until next year

Been playing very well since June after a slow Spring. There is speculation he'll get called up once the rosters expand in September, but with the new rules who knows. I would think they'll lean towards bringing Baty back up over him if Baty can rebound. IMO the guy to really get excited about this year is Sproat, MLB just upped him into baseball's top 50. Slight possibility the Mets bring him up for BP help if they actually make this run. 

Part of me thinks paying Pete is still on the table. Come season's end he may have another 40/100 year and that's hard to back off of, but who knows. He's already an all-time great for the franchise and Cohen seems to be big on doing right by guys like that.

Alonso it is tough to let home grown player walk away-he is having a down year-the last year of contract could be having mental effect. 

I doubt acuna will get called up-he is still so young

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Parada? that guy has slipped. he hit 185 last year in AA and 226 this year in 70 games in AA. nobody in the minors is hitting well.

Baty is hitting 266 but in over 500 ML ABs over 3 years he is hitting 215. not sure he has any more chances left. probably trade bait.

who is Ritter? he is not among the top 30 prospects on the Mets according to MLB.com

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

Parada? that guy has slipped. he hit 185 last year in AA and 226 this year in 70 games in AA. nobody in the minors is hitting well.

Baty is hitting 266 but in over 500 ML ABs over 3 years he is hitting 215. not sure he has any more chances left. probably trade bait.

who is Ritter? he is not among the top 30 prospects on the Mets according to MLB.com

Luke Ritter, been at Binghamton and Cuse for the last few years. Big HR hitter. Strikes out a lot but is an OBP machine.

• Upvote 2