Laken Tomlinson Renaissance

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I fear our line will be packed with Aaron Rogers old cronies like David Bakhtiari.

did you notice Sunday Howell was under severe pressure the entire time and some how when Brissett came in he was actually able to play the QB position and get the ball out in short windows ? Its all about getting the ball out quick in todays NFL with the pressure that's generated and the speed rushers that are becoming faster and faster . While you don't want a terrible OL like we currently have QB's can make the difference. We need good players that can stay healthy and we'll be fine with Rodgers at QB ...more than fine

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

We all thought this was a good signing when it happened GM's don't have crystal balls. No telling Tomlinson was going to drop off the planet sh*t happens 

That's true, but we don't get paid millions to make these decisions, while JD does.

5 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

The saddest thing of all was the JD apparently thought this guy was the final piece of the OL puzzle, when half the pieces were not even in the box...

He's got to learn to give short term contracts only.  Extending guys with huge contracts is another no no too.  Learning on the job, JD?  I hope so.

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

We all thought this was a good signing when it happened GM's don't have crystal balls. No telling Tomlinson was going to drop off the planet sh*t happens 

Yeah almost everyone felt this seemed like a pretty obvious lock & key fit at the time. Jets needed a guard. They were running SF's offense & ozb, and Tomlinson came right from there, where he resurrected his once promising career, and was still just 30 (hardly old for an interior OLman) coming off a probowl season.

What a f'ing disaster. 

It's like this team tries to grow flowers by watering them with bleach. 

I'm starting to think if Douglas had drafted Wirfs, by week 7 of his rookie season somehow one of his feet would've fallen off in practice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Tomlinson has been bad.  No argument from me.  But I honestly have no idea how to evaluate OL.  He was a good player before he came here. 

Look at other guys we have had.  Morgan Moses was okay for us, he is now a top 10 starting tackle with the Ravens.  We could not get rid of Greg Van Roten fast enough, and he is an above average starter for the Raiders.  George Fant is starting for the Texans.  We bring good players in and they suck for us.  We let guys we think suck go, and they play well elsewhere.  Mekhi Becton showed promise as a rookie and has been a disaster this year.

Injuries and lack of continuity are probably part of it.  But so too likely are coaching/scheme.  As much as I would like to blame Hackett and Keith Carter, they have only been here one year.  Something about how we approach OL is amiss.  I just hope they figure it out next season.

I did watch a video of Chuma Edoga still sucking recently.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, derp said:

Cutting Tomlinson pre June 1 saves $8.14M and he still costs $10.74M against the cap next year. Post June 1 is $13M and $5.88M.

Hits are worse than they could have been because of the contract restructure from this past offseason. Not positive but believe they could’ve just kept his hit the same and eventually moved on.

I've said repeatedly regarding restructuring deal in the NFL.  It is 100% common place and accepted each year that teams kick the can down the road but to me it should be done very very rarely and only when absolutely needed.   Teams take bad assets or assets they know are going to be bad and make them worse., let the next gm worry about it.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've said repeatedly regarding restructuring deal in the NFL.  It is 100% common place and accepted each year that teams kick the can down the road but to me it should be done very very rarely and only when absolutely needed.   Teams take bad assets or assets they know are going to be bad and make them worse., let the next gm worry about it.

They restructured DJ Reed too. No problem with that. He had an awesome first year of his deal and gave no indication he wasn’t going to play through the contract. Restructuring Tomlinson felt like doubling down on a mistake.

I also get it when the team is going for it, but when the roster is an injury to a 40 year old QB and a couple of OL injuries (on what was a shaky group to begin with) away from being a eliminated with a few weeks left in the season…the roster probably wasn’t good enough to justify the idea that this team was a potential Super Bowl contender.