Any cap “gurus” out there? Which guys can be released this off-season without inflicting inexcusable future cap issues?

I try to do this stuff on over the cap, but even with the built in stuff I’m not always sure what I’m looking at.

Curious if/how many of these guys could truly be gone this off-season without putting us in “cap hell” this year or next.  Disclaimer, some of these guys I’m not in favor of cutting necessarily but I think could be looked at.

Mosley, Tomlinson, Franklin-Meyers, Uzomah,Lawson.

And if anyone is feeling extra generous, help me understand what I’m looking at.  Franklin-Myers for example.  Based on what I’ve read, if the Jets cut him pre 6/1 it’s approximately 9 million in 2024 Dead money but also says approximately 7 million in 2024 cap savings?  What does that mean exactly, that they could essentially pay 2 million towards the cap(9 mil dead vs 7 million savings) this year to be done with him and his contract moving forward with no future cap implications?

Guys like JFM and Mosley will go no where becasue the precious dcentric head coach loves them, both should be sacrificed if we can improve the offense.

Thomlinos, Uzomoah and Lawson all need to be gone regardless of cap implication because they are no good.

Of course I did not answer the question placed, as in implications but had to get my two cents in anyway.  😎

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Guys like JFM and Mosley will go no where becasue the precious dcentric head coach loves them, both should be sacrificed if we can improve the offense.

Thomlinos, Uzomoah and Lawson all need to be gone regardless of cap implication because they are no good.

Of course I did not answer the question placed, as in implications but had to get my two cents in anyway.  😎

If the Jets can get a 2nd round draft pick for any of those guys, I would jump on it and not look back. 

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Uzomah, Bawden and Tomlinson can be cut. JFM, Reed, Mosley, and Conklin can all be restructured.

Jets will be able to get to $50-60m in cap space relatively easily.

Is it more fiscally beneficial to restructure or cut mosley and jfm?  Both of these players are easily replaced despite popular opinion.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Uzomah, Bawden and Tomlinson can be cut. JFM, Reed, Mosley, and Conklin can all be restructured.

Jets will be able to get to $50-60m in cap space relatively easily.

Tomlinson should be cut and AVT should slide into LG.

Uzomah gone and give Ruckert the spot.

JFM should be restructured but not cut. Mosley should be restructured and if he doesn’t want to? Bye bye.

Keep Reed, he’s a beast. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Is it more fiscally beneficial to restructure or cut mosley and jfm?  Both of these players are easily replaced despite popular opinion.

Depends how they feel. I think JFM should stay since we likely lose Huff. I'm in the fence with Mosley, I don't mind guaranteeing a position of his salary to keep him as a vet leader the next year or 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Tomlinson should be cut and AVT should slide into LG.

Uzomah gone and give Ruckert the spot.

JFM should be restructured but not cut. Mosley should be restructured and if he doesn’t want to? Bye bye.

Keep Reed, he’s a beast. 

AVT is gonna get moved to OT I think. Maybe not 2024 but likely in 2025 due to his 5th year option. I don't think we pay a guard that money with the OT issues we face.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

AVT is gonna get moved to OT I think. Maybe not 2024 but likely in 2025 due to his 5th year option. I don't think we pay a guard that money with the OT issues we face.

While he is very good at the position and I was the biggest fan of moving him there full time…I’m worried that his injuries are due to playing tackle.

Hopefully not and he can solidify RT. 

Lawson is a FA. He's gone. He has a 24 cap hit because of a restructure. he should’ve been cut outright  

Because of JDs restructuring of Mosley and Tomlinson, we’ve pushed money into 2024 and beyond making them more expensive to cut.  

that said, designating Uzomah, Tomlinson and JFM post June 1 cuts would save us $35M on the cap with $10m in dead money

Trading Zach gets us back 5.5. Mosley would account for $17M post June1 but I don’t see him going anywhere  

There's this punchline among divorce lawyers "it would be cheaper to keep her" 

That's how most of the jets roster stacks up 

About a dozen guys who should be cut but will probably be extended or restructured because it's cheaper than taking the medicine

Rodgers is first among this group and Zach is in there too 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's this punchline among divorce lawyers "it would be cheaper to keep her" 

That's how most of the jets roster stacks up 

About a dozen guys who should be cut but will probably be extended or restructured because it's cheaper than taking the medicine

Rodgers is first among this group and Zach is in there too 

It’s disgusting. JD is a complete fraud and failure. Building the right way and sustained success may have been his plan, but he is TERRIBLE at evaluating talent and making decisions. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

While he is very good at the position and I was the biggest fan of moving him there full time…I’m worried that his injuries are due to playing tackle.

Hopefully not and he can solidify RT. 

The issue is the 5th year option, he's gonna get paid like a top OT, that's the issue with taking a Guard or a Center in round 1. I've heard people concerned about the injuries but he played OT at USC and never had injuries

• Upvote 1

I miss the good old days of Jason being around here telling us all a great many details about the contracts we were mostly oblivious to, and what it all really meant.  However, we can still at least use all he's done in the years since then to our advantage:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

The things that of course quickly jump out are the biggest money savers being Jets legends like Tomlinson, Mosley, and Uzomah, all of whom need to take either massive paycuts or be sent packing.  The fact that Mosley stuck around on his ridiculously absurd full contract amount last year however brings great question to what will happen.  Lazard is another horrific contract but next year is still fully guaranteed, so nothing to do there.  Similarly, Wilson's contract being fully guaranteed will have them desperate to find a trade partner to get any cap benefit out of it.

JFM won't get outright cut, but he's another big hit so a renegotiation is a possibility, unless he draws trade interest and they want to be able to push McD out onto the field next year.

Reed sure as hell isn't going anywhere, but with him going into the last year of his deal, there's the possibility of talking an extension that they could use to reduce his 2024 number.

Of course, this is all theoretical, as the current regime has failed at many of these types of moves in the past, instead primarily pushing more money into the future with void years.  Of course, those are now a heavy contributor to the cap situation they're walking into.  See guys like Brown, Whitehead, and Lawson who will still be eating up over $14M in cap space after their contracts expire.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I miss the good old days of Jason being around here telling us all a great many details about the contracts we were mostly oblivious to, and what it all really meant.  However, we can still at least use all he's done in the years since then to our advantage:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

The things that of course quickly jump out are the biggest money savers being Jets legends like Tomlinson, Mosley, and Uzomah, all of whom need to take either massive paycuts or be sent packing.  The fact that Mosley stuck around on his ridiculously absurd full contract amount last year however brings great question to what will happen.  Lazard is another horrific contract but next year is still fully guaranteed, so nothing to do there.  Similarly, Wilson's contract being fully guaranteed will have them desperate to find a trade partner to get any cap benefit out of it.

JFM won't get outright cut, but he's another big hit so a renegotiation is a possibility, unless he draws trade interest and they want to be able to push McD out onto the field next year.

Reed sure as hell isn't going anywhere, but with him going into the last year of his deal, there's the possibility of talking an extension that they could use to reduce his 2024 number.

Of course, this is all theoretical, as the current regime has failed at many of these types of moves in the past, instead primarily pushing more money into the future with void years.  Of course, those are now a heavy contributor to the cap situation they're walking into.  See guys like Brown, Whitehead, and Lawson who will still be eating up over $14M in cap space after their contracts expire.

Not Lazard unfortunately.  Dump him anyway,

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s disgusting. JD is a complete fraud and failure. Building the right way and sustained success may have been his plan, but he is TERRIBLE at evaluating talent and making decisions. 

There should be a rule or at least an objective to not push a players cap hits beyond the final season on the current GM's contract. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It’s always more fiscally beneficial, cap-wise, to avoid paying more non-guaranteed money to any player whose play doesn’t warrant the pay. Every dollar paid to a player must then come off the cap. Every dollar avoided will no longer hit the cap.

The net cumulative savings is what you’d count, in terms of true benefit, since any dead cap accelerated to this year will come off future caps.

Any accelerated cap hit can (and would) be offset by backloading someone else instead, whether that’s further restructuring an existing player (e.g. Reed), even if only to add void years, or by backloading new FA signings by those accelerated dead-cap amounts that result by cutting others early. The net will be zero (pushing off one player’s future dead cap in favor of another’s).

The two players you asked about, plus the three obvious ones aside from them:

• Cutting Mosley saves $17MM (by not paying him another $17MM)
  • Cutting JFM saves $14MM (same rationale)
  • Cutting Tomlinson saves $13MM
  • Cutting Uzomah saves $8MM
  • Cutting Zach saves $0, but trading Zach saves as much as $5.5MM (unless Douglas eats some of it for a higher pick)

If they only restructure others dollar for dollar to offset any accelerated dead cap, just count the above as the savings to this year’s cap (and long term). The first 4 players listed above clear $52MM to cut, plus however much someone else pays of Zach’s $5.5MM if/when he’s traded. Do I expect all of them to get cut? Nope. I expect stupidity to again rule the day, because Jets.

(Cutting Lazard in 2024 saves $0, and his $11MM guarantee makes him kryptonite via trade; no one’s taking him off our hands. Fan sentiment aside, at this stage they’re simply not cutting him just to open up his roster spot for a WR5-6.)

I think JFM will be traded. The freed up cap space can be allocated to signing Huff and Clemons can fill the roll of swing DT/DE. If you want to build a consistent winner, you must always focus on keeping your younger players an letting the aging player go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1