McCarthy not fired

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Jets fans who want McCarthy should be thrilled by this.  We were never going to make a change this offseason, so our only shot of getting him is another failed Saleh year along with another early Cowboys playoff exit.  If things play out that way, I'd imagine he'll be one of the favorites next offseason.  

After another early Cowboys playoff exit they never really wanted him anyway.

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The same argument can be made for any number of good coaches.

As has been documented, McCarthy and Payton have almost identical resumes - the primary difference being that Rodgers developed in McCarthy’s offense while Brees had already made a pro bowl before being paired with Payton. 

If you owned a decent-to-good team and had to bet your life on winning a Super Bowl next year, are you hiring Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy to coach that team?

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

McCarthy sucks

His stellar nfl coaching history and record says as much.

Does he suck next to Andy Reid, prime belichick?

Sure.

His resume is as good or better than a lot of the sacred cows of this league as in Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His stellar nfl coaching history and record says as much.

Does he suck next to Andy Reid, prime belichick?

Sure.

His resume is as good or better than a lot of the sacred cows of this league as in Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh

You're probably right, objectively speaking - but i think he sucks. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you owned a decent-to-good team and had to bet your life on winning a Super Bowl next year, are you hiring Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy to coach that team?

Neither is winning a SB with a decent to good team, but I'd take Payton because I think he's better at situational play-calling and managing the game. 

No disagreement there

My main point is that, based on resumes alone, either Payton is overrated or McCarthy has become slightly underrated. They are too close in overall accomplishments to be worlds apart. You guys talk about McCarthy like he's Dave Campo. 

I am going to take the flipside now.  With the GB roster and prime AR12 and multiple all pros and MVPs, AR12 only went to one SB under McCarthy and won it. 

McCarthy is another Marty (not Brian) Schottenheimer-great during the regular season, but not great in the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

i mean, mccarthy specifically wanted to coach the Jets when we foolishly hired gase instead

thats dumbfounds me. only thing i can think of is that he liked Sam Darnold.? 

McCarthy has never drafted a QB that was any good. Favre was already there; Rodgers was drafted the year before. Love after he was gone and Dak before he got there.

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why? Woody is a patient owner , spends money on players and we have a QB. I’ve read that statement over and over and it makes no sense.

Rodgers is the reason. he is the boss of the offense and will clash with any top HC. and then after 2 years tops your looking for another QB. thats not attractive imo.

i should have said it was because of Rodgers and not Woody.

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why? Woody is a patient owner , spends money on players and we have a QB. I’ve read that statement over and over and it makes no sense.

It's been 25 years, and a previous Jet owner to find the last time a Great Head Coach wanted to coach this team.  Yes Woody tends to hire Head Coaches who never were Head Coaches at the NFL level.  I guess McCarthy did want the Jets job, but for some reason, McCarthy did not appeal to the Jets, or perhaps McCarthy was luke-warm to the Jets and really didn't want this job.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Neither is winning a SB with a decent to good team, but I'd take Payton because I think he's better at situational play-calling and managing the game. 

No disagreement there

My main point is that, based on resumes alone, either Payton is overrated or McCarthy has become slightly underrated. They are too close in overall accomplishments to be worlds apart. You guys talk about McCarthy like he's Dave Campo. 

His last three playoff appearances:

2022: Gets absolutely nuked by a 9-8 JV Green Bay Packers squad that lost to Tommy DeVito a few weeks prior

2021: loses 19-12 to the 49ers in the Divisional Round after a embarrassing series of clock mismanagements ends up with them having Ezekiel Elliot playing center and getting rolled on a play that no one to this day can explain

2020: lost 23-17 in the Wild Card Round to the Niners after Dak Prescott inexplicably tried scrambling then couldn’t get the ball spiked to end the game. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His last three playoff appearances:

2022: Gets absolutely nuked by a 9-8 JV Green Bay Packers squad that lost to Tommy DeVito a few weeks prior

2021: loses 19-12 to the 49ers in the Divisional Round after a embarrassing series of clock mismanagements ends up with them having Ezekiel Elliot playing center and getting rolled on a play that no one to this day can explain

2020: lost 23-17 in the Wild Card Round to the Niners after Dak Prescott inexplicably tried scrambling then couldn’t get the ball spiked to end the game. 

Yea, they have been playoff chokers for sure. I very well may have moved on from McCarthy this time. 

but I’m not sure the packers are exactly “JV” - they have beaten Detroit, KC, Minny, Chicago, and Dallas since they got rolling (several of those being blowouts). I think they have a nice young team. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who are you hiring to get to step two? 

Who are you hiring?

Bellichick is a not go, he wants to run the show and his recent decision making has been awful

Harbaugh  Maybe, he got to but did not win the super bowl.

Pete Carrol?   No.

Maybe Adam Gase can get them over the hump?

For every hot shot new coach that succeeds there is one that utter fails an take you backwards.

"Pittsburgh a model franchise for sticking with guys, tomlin has not win a playoff game in 7 years.

4 hours ago, varjet said:

I am going to take the flipside now.  With the GB roster and prime AR12 and multiple all pros and MVPs, AR12 only went to one SB under McCarthy and won it. 

McCarthy is another Marty (not Brian) Schottenheimer-great during the regular season, but not great in the playoffs.  

Who are great coaches?

Cowher coached 16 years and won one.

John harbaugh has won one

Tomlin?  1 win, 15 years ago.

Jim Harbaugh 0 wins

Hell even Belli who is the hot commodity has been terrible without brady.

It is hard to win games in this league.

Harder to win your divisions.

Harder to get to the super bowl

Super hard to win the game.

I mean we as jets fans fell all over Rex Ryan for getting to two AFC title games and then falling on our ass.

Rex won 11 games once, McCarthy has won 11 or more games 8 times.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Who are you hiring?

Bellichick is a not go, he wants to run the show and his recent decision making has been awful

Harbaugh  Maybe, he got to but did not win the super bowl.

Pete Carrol?   No.

Maybe Adam Gase can get them over the hump?

For every hot shot new coach that succeeds there is one that utter fails an take you backwards.

"Pittsburgh a model franchise for sticking with guys, tomlin has not win a playoff game in 7 years.

McCarthy is purgatory—good enough to rack up regular season wins, but not good enough to put a team over the top.  As for the list of coaches you’re naming, I’d take most all of them to do better with this iteration of the Cowboys than McCarthy has. 

Good decision. It's a disappointing end to a very good season...but why fire a coach if you are not absolutely certain that you can bring in someone better? McCarthy isnt perfect but he is 36-15 over the past 3 seasons...you dont toss that away and gamble on an unknown. 

If Belichick, or Jim Harbaugh was not a possibility then you keep McCarthy.

Many of the great head coaches of all time have some high level gravitas:

-- Lombardi

-- Bill Walsh

-- Tom Landry

-- Parcells

-- Belichick

-- Cowher

In the absence of this, it takes some exceptional traits to compensate and sort of overcome the lack of "fear factor" among the players.

It can be done, but it's rare:

-- Pete Carroll

-- McVay

Suffice it to say I don't think Mike McCarthy is a great head coach.

I don't think the players respect him, he's not a great motivator, and in terms of X's and O's, he's a stubborn cat who refuses to adapt his system or whatever in order to do what it takes to win.

• Upvote 1