*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

This team looks like they're in cruise control until their GM and HC are fired, prove me wrong.

You’d think the FO would be going nuts right now if they thought they were on the hot seat. Signing and trading with reckless abandon 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They tried.

“No one wants to play here” is not an opinion.  It’s what the front office is being told.  We’re not an attractive destination.

From our imbecile owner on down, this organization is a sh*thole and the whole league knows it. Woody shoving Rogers down JD and Saleh’s throats last year sealed the deal forever. We are a f**king joke.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They tried.

“No one wants to play here” is not an opinion.  It’s what the front office is being told.  We’re not an attractive destination.

That's greatness.

Is that what you've heard?  Cause, why would players want to come to the Jets?  Expensive to live there.  High taxes.  Team wins 7 games a year.  Lame duck coach.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Man I really liked him coming out of college. No idea how he’s been as a pro 

As did I.

From what I understand, he’s been very good.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

From our imbecile owner on down, this organization is a sh*thole and the whole league knows it. Woody shoving Rogers down JD and Saleh’s throats last year sealed the deal forever. We are a f**king joke.

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's greatness.

Is that what you've heard?  Cause, why would players want to come to the Jets?  Expensive to live there.  High taxes.  Team wins 7 games a year.  Lame duck coach.

That is the gist of what I’ve heard.  We’ve basically been told all off-season (because these discussions happen well before the tampering period) “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Joe Douglas doesn’t budge much from his prices and, when he does, it’s never enough to prevent the player from going back to the other teams and saying “Hey, this is what the Jets are offering.  Can you match it?”

That is exactly what happens with Jonah Jackson.

The Jets were not going anywhere near what Carolina gave Lewis.

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don’t worry everyone, i’m sure this season is going to be great. 

It’s, genuinely, giving me 2014 vibes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Enjoy your 16 weeks of John Simpson my dude

Its a terrible signing.... but that has nothing to do with Woody wanting to spend money... That's just a butt hurt take...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That is the gist of what I’ve heard.  We’ve basically been told all offseason (because these discussions happen well before the tampering period) “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Joe Douglas doesn’t budge much from his prices and, when he does, it’s never enough to prevent the player from going back to the other teams and saying “Hey, this is what the Jets are offering.  Can you match it?”

That is exactly what happens with Jonah Jackson.

It’s, genuinely, giving me 2014 vibes.

So the Jets are in the business now of being played by agents to make other teams pay up..🤣

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Its a terrible signing.... but that has nothing to do with Woody wanting to spend money... That's just a butt hurt take...

Well he didn't want to pay for another QB and let us suffer for god knows how many games with Zach Wilson last season, its a valid point imo.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Well he didn't want to pay for another QB and let us suffer for god knows how many games with Zach Wilson last season, its a valid point imo.

Sunk cost of a lost season.... bad optics but once 8 went down it was over... so why spend... Sure as a fan you feel different... but in reality they would be even more strapped for cash since whatever money they spent would not have gotten rolled over to this year... So yeah its a bad theory...

• Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

So the Jets are in the business now of being played by agents to make other teams pay up..🤣

Pretty much.  It’s been a consistent occurrence since Douglas came aboard.  He’d rather slightly over pay for a cheap player that he sees upside in than massively over pay for a guy who he feels has come close to, or even reached, his plateau.

The only time he put out a godfather contract offer was to Tyreek Hill, and he missed out because Hill did not want to play here with Miami as another option.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Sunk cost of a lost season.... bad optics but once 8 went down it was over... so why spend... Sure as a fan you feel different... but in reality they would be even more strapped for cash since whatever money they spent would not have gotten rolled over to this year... So yeah its a bad theory...

If the Jets had Jacoby Brissett they probably win a playoff game wtf are you talking about

• More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Tyrod taylor

I don’t hate the player.  In fact I like the player. His biggest  problem is that he is injury prone.  It’s the whole reason he is a back-up.  Terrible fit.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Wahoo a playoff game.... YAY

Oh I see, 13 years of no playoffs had no effect in you, you rather get the 10th pick in the draft than win a playoff game.

As Mogglez pointed out, JD and the Jets are being used because  “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Punting on the season did wonders for us

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Oh I see, 13 years of no playoffs had no effect in you, you rather get the 10th pick in the draft than win a playoff game.

As Mogglez pointed out, JD and the Jets are being used because  “Joe, you’re going to have to pony-up if you want us to sign here.  You don’t have the established track record or upside that some other teams have to offer.”

Punting on the season did wonders for us

No, you are completely missing the point... If the Jets spent the extra money they had after 8 went down, they would have that much less to spend in FA this year...

Woody was already paying for the number #2 overall pick. Which JD wanted to keep as his backup so he let JD sit in his failure.

Why does that equate to you thinking he is cheap. Its actually smarter then gets credit for. The initial problem of having a failed pick as backup is the issue you should have.

Not wasting a bunch of cash that will help you in the future for a temp replacement that might be able to win a playoff game. Shortsighted... The optics look worse because nobody in their right mind though Aaron was going to make it back by the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Gus Edwards goes to the Chargers for 2 years, $6.5 million

Dude would’ve been an awesome short yardage compliment to Breece and that’s cheap as sh*t.

I'm expecting Schefter to announce Aaron Jones to the Jets in the next few days after the Packers released Jones. As an owner of Jones in a dynasty football competition, I actually think a one-two punch of Hall and Jones with Aaron Rodgers would be pretty darn good.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Gus Edwards goes to the Chargers for 2 years, $6.5 million

Dude would’ve been an awesome short yardage compliment to Breece and that’s cheap as sh*t.

Maybe get Aaron Jones instead

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No, you are completely missing the point... If the Jets spent the extra money they had after 8 went down, they would have that much less to spend in FA this year...

Woody was already paying for the number #2 overall pick. Which JD wanted to keep as his backup so he let JD sit in his failure.

Why does that equate to you thinking he is cheap. Its actually smarter then gets credit for. The initial problem of having a failed pick as backup is the issue you should have.

Not wasting a bunch of cash that will help you in the future for a temp replacement that might be able to win a playoff game. Shortsighted... The optics look worse because nobody in their right mind though Aaron was going to make it back by the end of the year.

Lol, i don't think im missing the point, Brissett was a FA until 2 hours ago, wich means that he was not going to count on this year cap.

Either way, even if the qb they traded for or got in FA (Wentz) was on a multiple year deal its not like missing on the John Simpson of the world is a problem that the Jets can't handle.

Also I don't think Woody is cheap, you're the one missing the point, I think Woody knows that  JD had 5 years to build a team and he has not and at this time he didn't gave him a blank check to operate. In prime Woody fashion he's going to fire his GM one year to late, and now the Jets are in cruise control to fire JD on black monday 2025.

Giving JD another FA and draft is absurd.

That was the whole point, lets move on.

• Upvote 1

Its sad that as Jets fans the best we are hoping for is:

- David Bakhtiari

- Aaron Jones

- Tyler Boyd

- Reuniting with Fant, or some other scrub like Jonah Williams

As well as all the amazing resignings of:

- Chuck Clark

- Zuerlein

- and maybe Morestead

Whats worse is that, I am so messed up that despite the fact they are going to be so mediocre next year, I am somehow going to talk myself into thinking they have a shot.

Lol, i don't think im missing the point, Brissett was a FA until 2 hours ago, wich means that he was not going to count on this year cap.

Either way, even if the qb they traded for or got in FA (Wentz) was on a multiple year deal its not like missing on the John Simpson of the world is a problem that the Jets can't handle.

Also I don't think Woody is cheap, you're the one missing the point, I think Woody knows that  JD had 5 years to build a team and he has not and at this time he didn't gave him a blank check to operate. In prime Woody fashion he's going to fire his GM one year to late, and now the Jets are in cruise control to fire JD on black monday 2025.

Giving JD another FA and draft is absurd.

That was the whole point, lets move on.

Yes you are missing the point.... Money left over from previous years unspent carries over to the next year to spend.