Jets O-Line - the $$ are impressive

29 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I can't wait for this place to erupt when they go defense at 10

I think JD saw the writing on the wall last year with Huff, and once the OT went off the board, WMc was the guy that was going to replace Huff. Yeah I would have liked to re-sign Huff, but spending that on a part time edge player when we have offensive holes, was not cost efficient. 

Guaranteed that we don’t sign Smith, if we re-signed Huff. I like the way it worked out, personally. An elite LT, even an injury prone one, is much harder to replace than a pass rusher. At much less money and risk, it appears.  

I am really not worried about the Huff vacancy. We seem to find defensive players pretty easily.  Definitely not going to be at #10. That’s a WR/OT or trade down. 

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

I’m optimistic but AVT and smith have proven to have some durability issues. Josh Simpson was a practice squad player prior to getting elevated to the ravens starting line up last year. The upside is there but there is definitely quite a bit of down side with this new OL build. Not sure the 10 pick should be used on OL but it should at least be considered.

We should go with best available offensive player in round 1 that is not a QB or RB and if a highly rated QB is there try our best to trade down to get back a 2nd and more maybe. Otherwise, as long as we sign  a FA WR good enough to be a WR2 then we should have the luxury at 10 in the draft to pick any really good LT, WR, or TE(Bowers) that drops to us. And if any other teams calls for one of those guys they have to pay a boatload for that since we are in win now mode and really need quality over quantity.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Tomlinson was making what the entire left side of our line now makes.

What an assh0le, that guy.

he is still making it - think you have to add the 15million in dead cap to the numbers above - plus Tyron 13mil incentives

13 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

yes are absolutely correct picks from 2025 more than 1 of them(1st and 3rd?) maybe

That would be an “all-in” move, no doubt. But which team in the top 5, be willing to put their rebuild on hold (by a year) to placate JetNation? Not happening, especially with MN getting into position with 2 #1 picks trying to get a Qb. at #11

Not to mention Jets most likely picking in the 20’s next season and lose a round of value for future picks.

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina)
2) Washington Commanders
3) New England Patriots
4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants
7) Tennessee Titans
😎 Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears

18 hours ago, extmenace said:

I’m optimistic but AVT and smith have proven to have some durability issues. Josh Simpson was a practice squad player prior to getting elevated to the ravens starting line up last year. The upside is there but there is definitely quite a bit of down side with this new OL build. Not sure the 10 pick should be used on OL but it should at least be considered.

Ok. But did you really think we were going to put together 5 All Pro linemen who have no durability issues and come cheap? I mean seriously. Jet fans make me pull my non existent hair out sometimes. AVT is a stud and he is coming off injury, I get it. T.Smith is as good as it gets at LT, a proven vet who won't need to get coached up by this awful coaching staff. Yes, he has durability concerns, but the fact that we got him to plug up the LT spot on the contract that we did is awesome. Simpson was a PS guy, so what? He played great. He was a revelation on that Ravens teams. And I would imagine a lot of his penalties came from blocking for a QB who likes to run around and extend the play. You have to assume they will go down with a guy like Rodgers under center. 

Of course OL will be considered at 10 - I would keep it simple and say OT. Not just because of the durability issues but because Moses and Smith in the twilight of their careers. But so will WR, TE (and I should just say Bowers), and even QB. Yes, I said it, QB. I might be wrong but I don't think the Jets met with the top 3 QBs leading up to the draft simply to create smoke. If a top tier QB they really like somehow slides to 10, you have to think they will consider taking him. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok. But did you really think we were going to put together 5 All Pro linemen who have no durability issues and come cheap? I mean seriously. Jet fans make me pull my non existent hair out sometimes. AVT is a stud and he is coming off injury, I get it. T.Smith is as good as it gets at LT, a proven vet who won't need to get coached up by this awful coaching staff. Yes, he has durability concerns, but the fact that we got him to plug up the LT spot on the contract that we did is awesome. Simpson was a PS guy, so what? He played great. He was a revelation on that Ravens teams. And I would imagine a lot of his penalties came from blocking for a QB who likes to run around and extend the play. You have to assume they will go down with a guy like Rodgers under center. 

Of course OL will be considered at 10 - I would keep it simple and say OT. Not just because of the durability issues but because Moses and Smith in the twilight of their careers. But so will WR, TE (and I should just say Bowers), and even QB. Yes, I said it, QB. I might be wrong but I don't think the Jets met with the top 3 QBs leading up to the draft simply to create smoke. If a top tier QB they really like somehow slides to 10, you have to think they will consider taking him. 

The Simpson comment wasn’t a knock, it’s just stating the fact that until recently, he wasn’t viewed as a starter. In his first 4 years in the league, he only had around 20 starts. In his 5th year, he started 17 games. He kind of came out of nowhere. Guys like him can pan out, or they could disappoint. Hes not a known commodity. You’re paying for the upside.

QB isn’t realistic, I’ve said it a million times but woody probably isn’t allowing a potential lame duck coaching staff and front office the ability to draft the qb of the future for the next coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The Simpson comment wasn’t a knock, it’s just stating the fact that until recently, he wasn’t viewed as a starter. In his first 4 years in the league, he only had around 20 starts. In his 5th year, he started 17 games. He kind of came out of nowhere. Guys like him can pan out, or they could disappoint. Hes not a known commodity. You’re paying for the upside.

QB isn’t realistic, I’ve said it a million times but woody probably isn’t allowing a potential lame duck coaching staff and front office the ability to draft the qb of the future for the next coaching staff.

So basically it’s the Rams’ SB strategy. Except their LT was older and less heralded, and on paper at least, the OL personnel just less accomplished across the board. The biggest OL investment, by far, was a late 2nd rounder they’d drafted 6 years earlier, on 3rd-tier level OT contract extension.

The Jets are not drafting a QB until day 3 at the earliest because they’re all in on Rodgers, like others all in on older veteran QBs until they retire: Tampa/Brady, Den/Manning, NYG/Manning, SD/Rivers, Pit/Roeth, NO/Brees, Min/Cousins, Dal/Romo, and plenty others. While there are exceptions (e.g. Packers) it’s the exception not the rule.

It’d be the same if the FO/HC were on more secure ground.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

That would be an “all-in” move, no doubt. But which team in the top 5, be willing to put their rebuild on hold (by a year) to placate JetNation? Not happening, especially with MN getting into position with 2 #1 picks trying to get a Qb. at #11

Not to mention Jets most likely picking in the 20’s next season and lose a round of value for future picks.

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina)
2) Washington Commanders
3) New England Patriots
4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants
7) Tennessee Titans
😎 Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears

4/5 - I would be targeting for MHJ/Nabers.  Also, every trade up made in the past years you could have said "oh but since u getting better that 1st round will now be in the 20s next year" that's the gamble they all take yet it happens every year.  Value is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW - I fully expect this not to happen since the Jets always disappoint but if they sit there and take an OT at 10 I will be bent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

I agree, both are valid points.

But Woody loves JD and I think if things go sideways, theres a good chance that JD sticks with an extension while the coaching staff are booted and Woody tries a 'competitive rebuild' retaining the young core but getting a new coach(es) with a young Franchise QB already in place.