Jets O-Line - the $$ are impressive

I’m optimistic but AVT and smith have proven to have some durability issues. Josh Simpson was a practice squad player prior to getting elevated to the ravens starting line up last year. The upside is there but there is definitely quite a bit of down side with this new OL build. Not sure the 10 pick should be used on OL but it should at least be considered.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

LT - Tyron Smith - 6.5 mil guaranteed (larger cap hit)

LG - John Simpson - 6.0 mil

C - Joe Tippmann - 1.9 mil 

RG - AVT - 5.0 mil

RT - Morgan Moses - 5.5 mil AAV

i would expect these numbers from a poorly constructed offensive line. This group is all here on the cheap. Great job by JD and he still can restructure JFM and extend Reed, to bring in a solid WR and then draft one. 

We also should give credit to A-Rod and Mosely for restructuring. Take a look at Dak Prescott’s cap hit and you wonder why the Cowboys haven’t signed anyone and are losing a lot of talent. 

Hate on JD all you want, he is setting the Jets up to win games. If they don’t win, we can blame the coaching. Not the GM. 

Where did the T.Smith guaranteed $$ come from?  Have yet to see anyone report it. 

Good write up. Two things: We've seen how important depth is for the Oline. Not just on the Jets, but about every team last season was struggling to field 5 good lineman. So ya, what does our depth look like? I know we keep drafting guys in like the 3,4,5th round. How are they? (Max Mitchell for example, plus that guy we got from GB last year who was Aaron's RT during his hay-day)

Second, our tackles are old. Probably looking at (at most) another season or two after this season. We gotta keep looking ahead, even if it means burning good draft picks in a year we don't absolutely need them (like this draft).

But YA, I'm already feeling much better. Can't wait to see what the draft brings!

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I’m optimistic but AVT and smith have proven to have some durability issues. Josh Simpson was a practice squad player prior to getting elevated to the ravens starting line up. The upside is there but there is definitely quite a bit of down side with this new OL build. Not sure the 10 pick should be used on OL but it should at least be considered.

If there is a run on WRs before we pick (very possible) and we can’t get good value on a trade down (possible), I would absolutely take a tackle I liked. 

OT is still very much in play at 10, depending on what happens with the rest of FA and with the first 9 picks 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean if Smith actually plays he costs a lot more 

That’s fine with me. If he plays, that’s a good thing. The guy was 2nd team all pro last year. If he’s playing, we are looking good. Thats the risk. But to get him to sign a contract with that being the incentive is pretty impressive. 

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If there is a run on WRs before we pick (very possible) and we can’t get good value on a trade down (possible), I would absolutely take a tackle I liked. 

OT is still very much in play at 10, depending on what happens with the rest of FA and with the first 9 picks 

Agreed.  Joe Douglas is a Best Player Available guy, and his related approach to free agency is to make sure there are no glaring positional needs heading into the draft.  Assuming that WR2 is addressed between now and the draft with an option that is at least passable (no pun intended), and unless a great trade opportunity for #10 comes along, if the BPA on the Jets board at #10 is an OT, I’m pretty confident JD will take that OT.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Good write up. Two things: We've seen how important depth is for the Oline. Not just on the Jets, but about every team last season was struggling to field 5 good lineman. So ya, what does our depth look like? I know we keep drafting guys in like the 3,4,5th round. How are they? (Max Mitchell for example, plus that guy we got from GB last year who was Aaron's RT during his hay-day)

Second, our tackles are old. Probably looking at (at most) another season or two after this season. We gotta keep looking ahead, even if it means burning good draft picks in a year we don't absolutely need them (like this draft).

But YA, I'm already feeling much better. Can't wait to see what the draft brings!

There's still a good chance fashanu is there and he is the pick unless odunze is also there...then I think he almost has to be the pick because wrs are so damn expensive in free agency

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Interesting to know what the incentives are. SB? All Pro? # of games played? Sacks given up? PFF rating or the other ratings used for OL? 13 million in incentives is a lot of dough to be earned. 

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s a line that will either collapse within 6 games or have a pretty good year 

that’s not bad when you consider the draft is still a month away 

Gotta load up on OL in the draft now, imo. They have the temporary OL squared away for relatively cheap so they can afford a vet receiver or two, so draft one of the eliter tackles in R1 and put together a succession plan. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Interesting to know what the incentives are. SB? All Pro? # of games played? Sacks given up? PFF rating or the other ratings used for OL? 13 million in incentives is a lot of dough to be earned. 

I believe it’s something like 38% of snaps and he’ll hit most of the incentives. Question becomes how much they’ll accommodate Smith’s practice schedule if his money is tied to games played.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta load up on OL in the draft now, imo. They have the temporary OL squared away for relatively cheap so they can afford a vet receiver or two, so draft one of the eliter tackles in R1 and put together a succession plan. 

Finding legit vet wrs has been quite elusive for the jets.  And what about a succession plan for qb?  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I am all for Mike Williams and Clowney - sign them both

Then go get MHJ...consolation prize being Nabers

MHJ & Nabers would require a move up the board. No way around that. MHJ top 4 player, Nabers to 8

I don’t think we have the draft capital for this unless it includes future picks. 
No Thank You Dance GIF

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Finding legit vet wrs has been quite elusive for the jets.  And what about a succession plan for qb?  

Rodgers should help with the vet receiver problem. The future QB is the next regime’s problem imo

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers should help with the vet receiver problem. The future QB is the next regime’s problem imo

Problem is that rodgers is going down, and taylor is average on a good day.  The qb situation is very tenuous and they still only have 1 wr. 

• WTF? 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Succession plan

200.webp?cid=ecf05e473jqqzi8gl1tz6t8rmoq

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

MHJ & Nabers would require a move up the board. No way around that. MHJ top 4 player, Nabers to 8

I don’t think we have the draft capital for this unless it includes future picks. 
No Thank You Dance GIF

yes are absolutely correct picks from 2025 more than 1 of them(1st and 3rd?) maybe

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Problem is that rodgers is going down, and taylor is average on a good day.  The qb situation is very tenuous and they still only have 1 wr. 

Right, but you probably can’t draft Bo Nix this year, everyone gets fired, and then you have to tell the next coach that his job is tied to Bo Nix’s success. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Right, but you probably can’t draft Bo Nix this year, everyone gets fired, and then you have to tell the next coach that his job is tied to Bo Nix’s success. 

For the draft, i think if the jets go OL in round 1, it either has to be alt, where you’re (i think) clearly getting the best LT prospect and it’s worth it, or, you trade back and get a day 2 pick to maximize the value of the 10 slot.  If the jets turned 10 into Fautanu and a wr in round 2, that’s good use of the pick.  Using pick 10 for just a tackle when there’s similarly graded tackles later in round 1 feels underwhelming.

for qb, i hear you on drafting a guy and then forcing a regime to play him.  But the jets haven’t historically stockpiled qb prospects and certainly haven’t developed any.  And that’s led to where they are now, overpaying for other teams’ castoffs.  Maybe drafting a decent qb prospect and having him sit a year and getting spot duty isn’t the worst thing, and maybe a guy like nix or penix can step in next year and give the jets a baker type guy who can keep them competitive and not result it having to blow a top 5 pick on a guy that sinks the franchise.  

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe it’s something like 38% of snaps and he’ll hit most of the incentives. Question becomes how much they’ll accommodate Smith’s practice schedule if his money is tied to games played.

I thought it might be if he plays at least 5 snaps. 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He is? Or is that wishful thinking?

Everyone talking about QB and the mess that we have dealt with, in the last decade. A-Rod and Tyrod Taylor, might be the best 1-2 we have had in a long time. Considering our offensive line will be better, we can maybe keep them upright. Breece and Garrett could have monster seasons. 

I would still draft a developmental QB in the 4th round. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jdeet said:

LT - Tyron Smith - 6.5 mil guaranteed (larger cap hit)

LG - John Simpson - 6.0 mil

C - Joe Tippmann - 1.9 mil 

RG - AVT - 5.0 mil

RT - Morgan Moses - 5.5 mil AAV

i would expect these numbers from a poorly constructed offensive line. This group is all here on the cheap. Great job by JD and he still can restructure JFM and extend Reed, to bring in a solid WR and then draft one. 

We also should give credit to A-Rod and Mosely for restructuring. Take a look at Dak Prescott’s cap hit and you wonder why the Cowboys haven’t signed anyone and are losing a lot of talent. 

Hate on JD all you want, he is setting the Jets up to win games. If they don’t win, we can blame the coaching. Not the GM. 

The $$ are even more impressive considering Mexico is going to pay for it.

• Haha 1