Go on record: Post Your Perfect Hindsight Draft

13 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Pretty OK with how it played out, except I would have taken Malik Washington over Davis.

Yeah, most picks make sense esp. w/o a 2nd rounder.  It remains to be seen what they envision for davis over a wr prospect

Good thread.  A lot of guys mentioned I like and some I hate. 

FWIW, I think that a C is a bad choice.  We were worried about Rodgers being willing to work with a young C in Tippman.  I am all for strengthening the line, but benching Tippman, or kicking him to G and benching Simpson or AVT, would result in a more green C and not help much.  Prefer Shane's Mason McCormick idea.

I like Malik Washington and took him in the JN mock way earlier than he actually went, but I think once Corley is on board he is a terrible choice.  Like Corley and Bowers he did most of his damage on screens and manufactured touches.  Having two of them and adding it to Gipson would be a waste IMO.  If you skip the trade and miss out on Corley he becomes a nice option where he went.  Agree that TJ Tampa seems like a great value to get that late and I like Jaden Hicks, but have to look at where he went.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

My draft is somewhat similar to Green Fish's, but I will put some personal spin:

R1: accept trade back to 11, take Fuaga. I know he isn't "supposed" to play LT but to me this is the 2nd best tackle in the class and I'd try him at LT if we had to.

R3: Stay Put at 72, take WR Roman Wilson

R4, 111: RB Jaylen Wright - not just because I'm jealous of Miami :) my favorite back left up to this point, though I do like Allen

R4, 126: S Jaden Hicks - I was so disappointed this kid went 133 in real time. He is a SS, and the Jets need FS help more than SS, but I think Saleh could find great ways to use this kid, maybe at nickel or even LB  EDIT: I'D PROBABLY ACTUALLY TAKE THE 3RD NEXT YEAR HERE IF STILL OFFERED

R4, 134: OG, Trevor Keegan - in real life this kid actually went a whole round later, but I was rooting for us to take him at this point before we ended up with Allen. He has the size of an OT and is a great guy, I think he'd make great depth and possibly become our long term LG

R5, 157: QB, Jordan Travis - obviously we got this kid later in real time, but since in my scenario the next pick isn't til after 171 where we took him, I'd choose him here. This is the developmental prospect I was rooting for, although Joe Milton intrigued me

R6, 185: DT, Mekhi Wingo - a player I was desperate for the Jets to take round 5 when we took Davis. Here he falls even further to me, how fortuitous!

R6, 203: WR, Brendan Rice - well, this is probably the least realistic pick in my own draft, seeing as the Jets didn't keep this pick nor did they probably anticipate Rice being available here. But IRL I wanted them to double dip at WR and now they take an outside guy to develop while Roman takes over the slot day 1. It's a Rice, you are getting unmatched work ethic and professionalism.

R7, 257: Jalen Key - why not? Didn't have a better idea than the real Jets here, admittedly, and the kid looks solid. I already got a different DT who fell, too, or Leonard Floyd might have been it.

• Upvote 3

On 4/28/2024 at 7:57 AM, T0mShane said:

189. Michael Pratt: I didn’t like any of the QBs in this draft enough to use a pick on them, but this late in the draft I would have taken a flier on Pratt, who has the requisite size, profile, and character to be a developmental guy behind Rodgers and Tyrod. Jordan Travis will never take a meaningful regular season snap in the NFL. Small guy with injury issues and a peashooter arm. I know people had a hard-on for him because FSU was good, but Mike Norvell was achieving the same stuff on offense at Memphis with Brady White, who likewise never took a meaningful snap in the NFL. Just an absolute brain dead pick by a GM who will go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the Jets franchise, and that’s saying something. For those writing it off as a late-round developmental guy, that makes it worse because there’s nothing there to develop—he’s too small, he’s been in college for six years, and has a throwing arm that makes Pennington look like Josh Allen, He’s already 24 years old. Absolute clown show. 

Huh. This is an interesting take to me, mainly because Pratt measured in 1.5" taller and 17 pounds heavier than Jordan Travis's  6'1, 200LB frame. And Pratt is noticeably less agile and quick. In a modern NFL where guys who are like 5'10 are surviving, if not thriving, at QB, does Pratt measuring in at 6'2.5 mean that much more to you? From what I've read and watched, Pratt isn't any more noteable for his arm strength than Travis, either. 

And if the argument for Pratt is that he's sharper, I'd say Travis's turnover rates against stronger ACC competition speak for themselves. If anything, his only true strength appears to be processing/experience. 

I think we're on the same page that neither of these guys is likely to be worth a damn, nor was any non-R1 QB this year. But if physical traits is your thing, why not Joe Milton?

I won't do a re-Draft given how things fell, but I will say that when on the clock at #11 I would have actively tried to trade back.  Not very far, but definitely into the 12-15 range.  I like Olu but I didn't see a HUGE dropoff to the next couple guys on my board like Fuaga, Bowers, Fautanu.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I won't do a re-Draft given how things fell, but I will say that when on the clock at #11 I would have actively tried to trade back.  Not very far, but definitely into the 12-15 range.  I like Olu but I didn't see a HUGE dropoff to the next couple guys on my board like Fuaga, Bowers, Fautanu.

Interesting thought. If a team like the saints liked olu (or colts liked bowers), who knows?

Obviously JD liked Olu so we may never know, but I'd be curious what the market was. As I said in my own draft, I liked Fuaga, so this might appeal to Mr. Rogers the Armchair GM as well

Edit: I think this year was a bit of an over correction after the previous 5-10  years INSANE prices to move up, even from within the top 10-15 picks. Especially given that even the Vikings weren't able to move up far with 2 firsts+ on offer. It'll probably go back toward the mean next year, but hopefully whenever the Jets are hunting for a FQB again the prices are down

14 minutes ago, Fidelio Bitonti said:

Another terrible draft

how long can this misery continue????

Fidelio... bitoni?

Did someone set Trollbot 2009 to low quality before siccing it on the Site?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He supposedly had a number of offers. I also would’ve been willing to move further back for more draft capital, especially for picks between #10 and #72. I don’t know if any offers were even there once McCarthy was picked, though, and it looks like they had Fashanu as the last elite OT and didn’t want to chance missing on him. Have to say, I do feel better with a potential FLT in the wings behind Smith. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Penix at 10

Tough to do when he went at #8, but I’m sure you’d figure it out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:54 AM, Doggin94it said:

I think they actually like their interior backups - schweitzer, Newman, Glaser - and also expect one of either Warren or Mitchell to show in camp that they can be a backup guard as well as tackle

I can see Mitchell as OT/OG. Jake Hanson as OG/C  

Not saying he’s a sure thing but the Jets did claim OL Austin Deculus off waivers from the Texans last November. He’s was a ‘22 6th round pick of the Texans.  Was a RT for LSU but I see him more as an OG. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2023/11/16/23961489/scouting-new-york-jets-offensive-tackle-austin-deculus-nfl

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Looking forward to the first in hindsight of the 1st hindsight draft.  

Etc., etc.

You may be on to something.  We can have different levels of backtracking.  Once we perfect it we'll get DiCaprio and make a movie.

We can call it Jetception. If not DiCaprio then, Kevin James will do.

Pre-Owned-Inception-Blu-Ray-Good_039b6df

• Haha 1