Can Tyrod Taylor take a team to the SB?

Taylor doesn't turn the ball over. However, he's so conservative that he doesn't drive scoring. A lot of field goals. Good enough to get a team to the playoffs, but will always get beat by teams with elite QBs.

So basically, he's Saleh's spank bank material.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Taylor doesn't turn the ball over. However, he's so conservative that he doesn't drive scoring. A lot of field goals. Good enough to get a team to the playoffs, but will always get beat by teams with elite QBs.

So basically, he's Saleh's spank bank material.

Saleh thinks the main job of a HC is to embarrass the opposing QB!

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh seems like he's a really nice guy.  He's just a huge hypocrite as a HC.  He talks about accountability but takes none himself.

Didn't he give a press conference once where he said he sucked?

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

No.  Do you?

Negative. I searched for it and couldn't find it. That's why I asked.

Do you feel that Saleh has thrown Zach Wilson under the bus and blamed him for the Jets misfortunes? I sort of get the feeling that's where you are at. And it's funny because I see it in the opposite way. To me he's gone out of his way to prop him up and defend him whenever possible. Even when Zach quit on the team he was defending him.

I really want to see what Saleh can do with an NFL quality starting QB, because he's yet to have one in his 3 years as a coach. 

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Negative. I searched for it and couldn't find it. That's why I asked.

Do you feel that Saleh has thrown Zach Wilson under the bus and blamed him for the Jets misfortunes? I sort of get the feeling that's where you are at. And it's funny because I see it in the opposite way. To me he's gone out of his way to prop him up and defend him whenever possible. Even when Zach quit on the team he was defending him.

I really want to see what Saleh can do with an NFL quality starting QB, because he's yet to have one in his 3 years as a coach. 

Didn't he run to ownership and make a presentation showing how HCs don't make the playoffs with backup QBs? 

Of course, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski managed to do that last year but Mr Navy Seals didn't want to be on the hook for that.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't he run to ownership and make a presentation showing how HCs don't make the playoffs with backup QBs? 

Of course, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski managed to do that last year but Mr Navy Seals didn't want to be on the hook for that.

That's throwing Wilson under the bus? What he should have done is run to ownership and best them to sign someone immediately so he could replace Wilson as QB the second Rodgers went down. And even that wouldn't have been throwning Wilson under the bus. Everyone and their grandmother knew Wilson was not equipped to be a starter in the NFL.

Like I've said, I've seen Saleh stand up for Wilson way more than I've seen him scapegoat him. You're seeing ghosts!

9 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

That's throwing Wilson under the bus? What he should have done is run to ownership and best them to sign someone immediately so he could replace Wilson as QB the second Rodgers went down. And even that wouldn't have been throwning Wilson under the bus. Everyone and their grandmother knew Wilson was not equipped to be a starter in the NFL.

Like I've said, I've seen Saleh stand up for Wilson way more than I've seen him scapegoat him. You're seeing ghosts!

Saleh is a huge hypocrite (preaching accountability while whining to upper management about his QB)

And a bad HC (among other things, he thinks his job is to coach the defense). 

And a buffoon (for speaking candidly to Joe Beningo, who wasn't exactly hiding their conversations).

He also seems to care more about golf than he does about football.

He also had the gall to try to convince fans that the team "took the next step" this past year.  

He also ran Breece into the ground in a meaningless season-ending game against the Patriots.

7 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

lol - Zach is gone. He was a historic bust.  You need to learn to love again.

Has literally nothing to do with Zach. I fundamentally do not believe in Saleh and think JD has had a few big hits but mostly has sucked. And his big hits for the most part were chalk draft guide picks. I give him credit for Huff and Quincy but this offseason we have literally employed a philosophy of signing old injury prone players. Teams do not win SBs by going older outside of QB. But mostly I think Saleh is in the bottom 3 easily of worst head coaches ever. I really can't think of a positive unless you want to twist yourself in a knot and credit him fully for Huff and Quincy. 

As I have said, I think this season will be one of the worst ever for Jets fans and this team. And we will blow everything up at the end of the year but Woody will not learn and hire another DC but with a different personality.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Has literally nothing to do with Zach. I fundamentally do not believe in Saleh and think JD has had a few big hits but mostly has sucked. And his big hits for the most part were chalk draft guide picks. I give him credit for Huff and Quincy but this offseason we have literally employed a philosophy of signing old injury prone players. Teams do not win SBs by going older outside of QB. But mostly I think Saleh is in the bottom 3 easily of worst head coaches ever. I really can't think of a positive unless you want to twist yourself in a knot and credit him fully for Huff and Quincy. 

As I have said, I think this season will be one of the worst ever for Jets fans and this team. And we will blow everything up at the end of the year but Woody will not learn and hire another DC but with a different personality.

Fine to predict this could happen.  It’s certainly on the table. But if you are at the point of hoping it happens to be proven right, I suggest a new hobby.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

How do you not give him credit for the overall improvement in the defense? That's crazy.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:41 PM, bicketybam said:

The Bills went 9-7 with Taylor missing one start (a Buffalo win.) I don't think 9 wins get us to the playoffs this season.

So... other than QB, the 2017 Bills had an equivalent roster to the 2024 Jets? It'd be tough to make that case.

They had a Conklin-esque TE (banged up and/or out half the season to boot) + no WRs on the team + no one on defense getting to opposing QBs (a pathetic 27 team sacks), their starting LT missed all or most of 12 games, all led by a 1st year defensive HC new to the team and an OC who was fired after that one season there.

9 wins with that crew was a minor miracle.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

So... other than QB, the 2017 Bills had an equivalent roster to the 2024 Jets? It'd be tough to make that case.

They had a Conklin-esque TE (banged up and/or out half the season to boot) + no WRs on the team + no one on defense getting to opposing QBs (a pathetic 27 team sacks), their starting LT missed all or most of 12 games, all led by a 1st year defensive HC new to the team and an OC who was fired after that one season there.

9 wins with that crew was a minor miracle.

I based that on my belief that the Jets need 11 wins to guarantee a playoff spot. Are you comfortable with Tyrod Taylor QBing the Jets to 11 wins? Maybe we could get to 10 with him but I'm doubtful he doesn't miss games as a starter. 

16 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Fine to predict this could happen.  It’s certainly on the table. But if you are at the point of hoping it happens to be proven right, I suggest a new hobby.  

Lol what I rationally think and what I will emotionally be like during the season are completely different things. I cannot ever root for the Jets to lose when it is in their best interest. It's just what I think will happen but nothing close to what I want to happen or will root for. Would love to be proven wrong.

44 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I based that on my belief that the Jets need 11 wins to guarantee a playoff spot. Are you comfortable with Tyrod Taylor QBing the Jets to 11 wins? Maybe we could get to 10 with him but I'm doubtful he doesn't miss games as a starter. 

I read it as you were saying, in effect, that Taylor was a 9-win QB. 

He was a 9-win QB on a much, much worse roster that included no one to throw the ball to and a below-average defense. 

go through the depth chart of every nfl team, particularly those expected to be contenders.  how many teams do you think are legit SB teams if their starter goes down???  unless you expect a career revival from carson wentz (now in KC), there's not a team that one would think could make a SB run with their backup.

now could it happen?  sure, it's happened a few times in league history.  if the rest of the jets are truly a SB-contending team (not saying they are at this juncture), then if taylor can stay healthy (a big IF), the jets would be pretty much as well positioned as any team in the league to make a run with their backup.  

but again, no one - not the chiefs, not the bills, not the ravens, not the niners, not anyone - can comfortably say they are a legit SB contender with their backup QB

• Upvote 2

It's not impossible that the stars align, he gets on hot at the right time and the team gets there. I would not say it is probable. IMO the offense requires both Rodgers's skill and ability to coordinate the offense from the field. Taylor most likely follows the playcalling out of the booth which has shown itself to be a total disaster. This team lives and dies with Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

You said this team would win 8 games.  The NY Jets who have scored the least amount of TD's in the NFL in back to back years, won 7 games both seasons.  That doesnt really add up.  The team by all measures is better, if they can be middle of the pack in scoring, they'll get more then 1 extra win.  That's just silly talk.

"Teams dont win SB's by going older outside of QB" is simply 100% false.  The Rams, Chiefs and Bucs in recent years, won w/ veteran led teams that went out and got, older.

"Saleh is bottom 3 worst head coach ever" - in the history of the NFL or the Jets?  Because you're wrong in both cases.

"Saleh hasnt done anything other than Huff and Quincy" - the Jets were 31st ranked D his first season, where did they rank the last 2 seasons?

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

go through the depth chart of every nfl team, particularly those expected to be contenders.  how many teams do you think are legit SB teams if their starter goes down???  unless you expect a career revival from carson wentz (now in KC), there's not a team that one would think could make a SB run with their backup.

now could it happen?  sure, it's happened a few times in league history.  if the rest of the jets are truly a SB-contending team (not saying they are at this juncture), then if taylor can stay healthy (a big IF), the jets would be pretty much as well positioned as any team in the league to make a run with their backup.  

but again, no one - not the chiefs, not the bills, not the ravens, not the niners, not anyone - can comfortably say they are a legit SB contender with their backup QB

Same argument I heard last offseason that backup qb doesn’t matter