Breer article on Saleh

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why not? It’s happened many times in NFL history and more than once to this franchise, in particular. 

I get that they didn’t expect it to happen, but to be completely and totally unprepared for the worst case scenario playing out seems like really bad management. 

What made it worse for us JNers was that there were numerous folks on here screaming about Zach Wilson being QB2 last summer - right around this time, actually. 

@Jetsfan80

And some of these same people were in here last Summer telling us how Rodgers is here now and Zach can't hurt us any more.

Similar to posts like this (minus the "he is gone"):

26 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I have a proposal

is it possible to go one day - 24 hours without bringing up the name of the former 2nd overall pick at qb for the jets?

he is gone - can’t hurt us anymore

worth a try?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Crazy to think Saleh was forced to fire LaFleur because he hurt the feelings of three mental disasters in Zach, Becton, and Elijah Moore. Telling that he already had the Rams OC gig locked up before he handed in his Florham Park key fob

100%. The goofy Jets fans who were like “good riddance!” crack me up.

A cluster**** blip at Florham Park in between working for Shanahan and McVay will look funny on his résumé when MLF is giving his introductory presser for his first HC gig.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah. I don’t see how anyone got stronger last year when everyone knew Zach could not play at all. It was all bullsh*t. You’re not selling me on they thought Zach could compete.

It should have been completely over for Wilson’s 2023 season the moment Saleh used the word “reset”

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In typical Jets PR fashion, they couldn’t even take the W on landing Rodgers. Instead the whole org immediately mobilized to let everyone know that they still believed in Zach and they were just going to give him a two year break to collect himself—which never made sense because of his contract—and then they made sure to avoid bringing in another QB who might upset Zach’s delicate psyche

Wasn’t it reported Woody turned down the insurance on Rodgers contract for like an extra milly or something marginal? I guess the Jets were living in a perfect world back then.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GangGreened said:

Wasn’t it reported Woody turned down the insurance on Rodgers contract for like an extra milly or something marginal? I guess the Jets were living in a perfect world back then.

Source? I've never heard of that. Makes a good "story" though.

8 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Woody will get his money back this year when they march through the playoffs to a SB victory 🖐️ 

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Overcoming adversity in challenges in life makes us stronger. It is not particularly relevant whether those challenges and adversity are self-created or come from outside of us. 

Really?  So its not relevant if the "adversity" was caused by, say, making a sober decision to jump off the 2nd story of your home for no good reason and breaking your femur, versus......being framed for a crime you didn't commit?  Doesn't matter?  Adversity is adversity?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really?  So its not relevant if the "adversity" was caused by, say, making a sober decision to jump off the 2nd story of your home for no good reason and breaking your femur, versus......being framed for a crime you didn't commit?  Doesn't matter?  Adversity is adversity?

Pretty much, yeah. That’s my opinion, anyway. Plenty of people have created their own problems … doesn’t mean overcoming them is any easier, or any less valuable. It’s not “who got dealt the sh*ttiest hand” contest in the end — it’s what you make of your challenges and where you end up. But hey — that’s just my take.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

You and I have a very different definition of "barely."

Are you gonna tell me that you don’t believe better QB play doesn’t win the following games?

- Patriots (week 3)

- Raiders (week 9)

- Falcons (week 12)

That gets the Jets to 10-7 and they would, hypothetically, have the head to head win against Houston, putting them in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

How dare you judge JD’s vision of sustainable success and roster management. 

Lol; some days I ask how we got so lucky and other days I want him fired while he’s sitting in his boxers drinking a High Noon.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and he is an above average GM who has gotten too ballsy for his own good at times (Becton & Zach Wilson) and learned from those mistakes since…mostly (unless Will McDonald IV takes that leap we’re all hoping for.)

I believe that this roster, as constructed, is the team that he has been working to build since 2020, and now he wants to constantly pump in young blood while he makes runs with top tier veteran players, just like hi mentor, Ozzy, did with the Ravens.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

they completely and utterly botched last season for no good reason that can be explained away, under any circumstance.

but who was coming here in FA? remember Rodgers has a great injury history. he hasnt missed a game in 5 years.

Jacoby Brissett. took 8 mil to go to Wash. i dont think we would give him 8 mil and he had a better chance to play in Wash. 

Mike White. went to back up Tua in Miami. much better move for him than to stay here.

Jarred Stidham. went to Denver for 2 yrs 5 mil a yr. after the year Russ had in 2022 there was a better chance to play there. plus i dont think anyone of us wanted him.

Keenan, Daulton and Minshew went to back up rookies in Houston, Carolina and Indy. always a good choice to back up rookies if you want to play.

Taylor Heineke. 2 yrs 7 mil per to go to Atlanta to back up Ridder. 

point is that good backups dont go to good teams to back up star QBs because there not going to play except for injuries. they all go to bad teams with rookie or ok QBs who could get benched.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

In typical Jets PR fashion, they couldn’t even take the W on landing Rodgers. Instead the whole org immediately mobilized to let everyone know that they still believed in Zach and they were just going to give him a two year break to collect himself—which never made sense because of his contract—and then they made sure to avoid bringing in another QB who might upset Zach’s delicate psyche

Even as a ZW supporter (though I wasn't going into this past year), I can't disagree with anything you wrote here.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Are you gonna tell me that you don’t believe better QB play doesn’t win the following games?

- Patriots (week 3)

- Raiders (week 9)

- Falcons (week 12)

That gets the Jets to 10-7 and they would, hypothetically, have the head to head win against Houston, putting them in the playoffs.

Houston won their division - I think they would have needed to win the tie-breaker with Pitt, right? 

but yes - 10 wins at a minimum with average QB play 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

- Patriots (week 3)

- Raiders (week 9)

- Falcons (week 12)

Someone said (you?) they barely missed the playoffs. They won 7 games, guy. They missed by at least 3. That's not barely. And if you want to play the "what if" game, it was a miracle that that beat the Eagles and the Giants.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Houston won their division - I think they would have needed to win the tie-breaker with Pitt, right? 

but yes - 10 wins at a minimum with average QB play 

I agree. But as it stood, they didn't barely miss the playoffs. They missed by a lot.

44 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Someone said (you?) they barely missed the playoffs. They won 7 games, guy. They missed by at least 3. That's not barely. And if you want to play the "what if" game, it was a miracle that that beat the Eagles and the Giants.

I’m giving a hypothetical where we only re-write losses.  When you factor in how good the rest of the team was and the fact that they won games with the 3 worst QBs in the league, that’s barely missing.  Also, you don’t assume you’re going to lose more games with better QB play.  

This isn’t the gotcha that you think it is, pointing out I forgot that Houston won the division would have been tho.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean as a collective. The organizational decision to carry Wilson as the two and then not move off of him was a self inflicted move. There’s no adversity to overcome when you create the problem in which everyone on the outside knew was obvious. For once, this regime could stop the gaslighting and admit they messed up. 

Woody said they didn’t have a qb2. 

isn’t that admitting they messed up?   Not sure what else you would want them to say. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

but who was coming here in FA? remember Rodgers has a great injury history. he hasnt missed a game in 5 years.

Jacoby Brissett. took 8 mil to go to Wash. i dont think we would give him 8 mil and he had a better chance to play in Wash. 

Mike White. went to back up Tua in Miami. much better move for him than to stay here.

Jarred Stidham. went to Denver for 2 yrs 5 mil a yr. after the year Russ had in 2022 there was a better chance to play there. plus i dont think anyone of us wanted him.

Keenan, Daulton and Minshew went to back up rookies in Houston, Carolina and Indy. always a good choice to back up rookies if you want to play.

Taylor Heineke. 2 yrs 7 mil per to go to Atlanta to back up Ridder. 

point is that good backups dont go to good teams to back up star QBs because there not going to play except for injuries. they all go to bad teams with rookie or ok QBs who could get benched.

Flacco or Wentz would have made the playoffs by simply setting protections and giving the ball to Breece

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Overcoming adversity in challenges in life makes us stronger. It is not particularly relevant whether those challenges and adversity are self-created or come from outside of us. 

The Jets didn’t overcome anything last year. It was a waste of everyone’s time. Coaches, players, ball boys etc. They wasted everyone’s time because of Zach Wilson who everyone knew didn’t belong in the league.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets didn’t overcome anything last year. It was a waste of everyone’s time. Coaches, players, ball boys etc. They wasted everyone’s time because of Zach Wilson who everyone knew didn’t belong in the league.

And that’s not Saleh’s fault.  The owner wanted Zach as QB2 and refused to introduce a legitimate alternative like signing Carson Wentz.  Tim Boyle doesn’t belong in the CFL let alone the NFL

And I don’t think Saleh is a good coach but I have to be fair

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Why not? It’s happened many times in NFL history and more than once to this franchise, in particular. 

I get that they didn’t expect it to happen, but to be completely and totally unprepared for the worst case scenario playing out seems like really bad management. 

What made it worse for us JNers was that there were numerous folks on here screaming about Zach Wilson being QB2 last summer - right around this time, actually. 

@Jetsfan80

Why not?  Probably because of Rodgers history of playing thru injury.

In hindsight it didn’t work out and Zac no longer works here.  They were stuck with him and his contract last year and gambled they wouldn’t need him.  They lost the bet.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Woody said they didn’t have a qb2. 

isn’t that admitting they messed up?   Not sure what else you would want them to say. 

If Woody was so concerned about the QB2 spot like so many of us were all summer, then why was there zero urgency to acquire one both before AND after the Rodgers injury?

I call bullsh*t on Woody and everyone else here should too.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Fair point. Adversity can break you too. Last year the Jets were beaten by adversity. Remains to be seen whether they’ll learn from that and be stronger because of it. It’s not a given.

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why not?  Probably because of Rodgers history of playing thru injury.

That's just not a great reason, though

anyone can get hurt on any given play

the injury was obviously the worst luck ever, but that's something that should be expected with this franchise. You have to prepare for the Doomsday scenario because it usually happens to the Jets

Criticism over Zach Wilson being the backup was a FIRST guess that a lot of people voiced before the season started. 

• Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Criticism over Zach Wilson being the backup was a FIRST guess that a lot of people voiced before the season started. 

And predictably, the same people who chided us for having that concern last summer, most notably a certain moderator here, are the same ones telling people to shut up about Zach all over again now that he’s gone.  

Funny how that works.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And predictably, the same people who chided us for having that concern last summer, most notably a certain moderator here, are the same ones telling people to shut up about Zach all over again now that he’s gone.  

Funny how that works.

Oh My Wow GIF

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how that works.

You poor, sweet, damaged little baby. 🥹

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bicketybam said:

You are a good poster so I won't be a dick. I asked how many teams lost their QB1 4 plays into the season and go on to make the playoffs. Go over your list and tell me which of those guys took over on the second offense series of the SEASON. 

To answer your question specifically as you asked it, the answer is no one.

But that shouldn't be the question.  The question should have been how many backup QB's navigated the team to the playoffs and beyond.

Zach Wilson was not capable of doing that, and the Jets were completely unprepared for Rodgers going down, even if it were in game #10 when it happened. 

Thanks for not being a dick.  lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

To answer your question specifically as you asked it, the answer is no one.

But that shouldn't be the question.  The question should have been how many backup QB's navigated the team to the playoffs and beyond.

Zach Wilson was not capable of doing that, and the Jets were completely unprepared for Rodgers going down, even if it were in game #10 when it happened. 

Thanks for not being a dick.  lol

Not that he wasn’t just incapable. Everyone in the building knew he was incapable. Madness. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Not that he wasn’t just incapable. Everyone in the building knew he was incapable. Madness. 

And yet you had people here taking Woody at his word when he said long after the fact “we didn’t have a backup QB”.  Riiight, like Woody was saying that at the time.  

I guess JD was being insubordinate when he waited nearly a month after the Rodgers injury to add Siemian and another 5 weeks to finally activate him, huh.