I take PFF grades very seriously when they are pro-Jets. I disregard when they grade any Jet too low

Forest thru the trees, the Jets are a talented team.  We can debate whether they are #1, #5, or #10 in these categories and across the board but there are strong analytics to suggest top 10 on Defense and overall, including revamped Offense and Special Teams.  

That said, the God of Health and God of Offensive Coaching have not been kind.

Freak injury 4 plays in and under-investment in OL and WR killed last year.  JD made corrections (a year late to be frank). 

• Upvote 1

i think they're better than last season and have improved over the past three seasons but until they play a game it's hard to take pff or any other evaluations seriously.  heck i'm sure tomlinson was ranked pretty high before the jets signed him.  and van roten was recently ranked pretty high by pff in the free agent pool.  the thing is football is one of the few team sports out there.  it's easy for the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Where the Jets are weaker:

1. Safety (think this has been exaggerated w/ Adams & Davis still having upside)

2. Run Stopping DT (let’s see if anyone shakes loose from another team)

3. Interior OL and DT depth

4. WR depth

Not a bad place to be in the game of pick your poison.  

I can't imagine them adding much at DT with that Fotu from the Cards and Kinlaw.  I do not believe they see "run stuffer" as a need.   I remember everyone (myself included) being worried about this when (Beach Channel's own) Forlonosu Fatukasi left after 2021 and they didn't seem to care or lose much.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't imagine them adding much at DT with that Fotu from the Cards and Kinlaw.  I do not believe they see "run stuffer" as a need.   I remember everyone (myself included) being worried about this when (Beach Channel's own) Forlonosu Fatukasi left after 2021 and they didn't seem to care or lose much.

Agreed.  I also don’t see it happening but would like it too :).  A solid run stopper w/o the pass rushing costs around $3-4M.  Pretty doable.  

• Upvote 1

Rankings shmankings. Bottom line, the Jets’ defense is good top to bottom. Coaching and the players, all really good. They even have a little depth. I know some folks don’t care about defense because it’s an offensive league, but defense still matters. Defenses are generally ahead of offenses early in the NFL season, and having a very good one is a big advantage the first month. That defense kept the team in games with the level of QB play the Jets have had the last couple years -even winning a few!- it’ll keep the team in games again early this year while the OL gets itself together, Mike Williams gets up to speed, and Aaron Rodgers remembers how to play QB. 

• Upvote 3