Allen Lazard hot Start to Camp Suggests Return to Form

Aaron Rodgers

There’s no denying that the 2023 NFL season is one that Jets wide receiver Allen Lazard would rather forget.

After signing with Gang Green as a free agent, inconsistent play and too many drops led to the receiver being a healthy scratch.  Add to that the fact that he was reportedly shopped this offseason and he was already being written off as a free agent bust.

But could Lazard, along with the rest of the Jets offense, be on the verge of a resurgence with Aaron Rodgers back under center?

Sure, it’s only a couple of practices, but if you’ve been keeping up with our camp reports, you will have seen Lazard made more plays in two days than he seemed to make all of last season.  A diving catch over the middle kicked off day one, and then on days one and two, Lazard ended each session with a touchdown grab.

While it would be silly to expect too much based off of only two practices, it’s important to keep in mind that Lazard isn’t an unproven rookie or journeyman receiver who has never been productive as a pro.  After hall, he did rack up 100 receptions for 1,301 yards and 14 touchdowns over his final two seasons with the Packers, putting up a career high 788 yards in 2022.

Should Allen Lazard find his way back to being a reliable pass catcher for Rodgers who knows the offense as well as any receiver on the roster, it could offer a huge boost to a Jets offense that has the potential to be one of the best in team history, but still has some lingering questions.

The post Allen Lazard hot Start to Camp Suggests Return to Form appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Aaron Rodgers

While it would be silly to expect too much based off of only two practices,

Click here to read the full story...

Operative words in bold …

Lazard had a hot camp last year as well, if remember correctly. Yes, I know all the reasons that will be given for his collapse … Rodgers went down, Zach et al sucked, etc. But GW still managed to put up decent numbers with those back ups throwing him the ball. Same with Conklin. Lazard was a total no show. Doesn’t give me confidence that dude is a legit NFL threat no matter who is throwing to him. Glad he seems to be showing up for camp — he seems like a decent kid who WANTS to be better. But I’ll believe it when I see it in games.

33 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Allen Lazard is a terrible football player until proven otherwise.

I can see why somebody would think that if they only saw last year's version.

Was a perfectly acceptable WR2 or 3 over his previous two seasons in Green Bay.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Allen Lazard is a terrible football player until proven otherwise.

Hurts my ears to listen, hurts my eyes to see,  

when Allen Lazard plays w/ Zach Wilson, it might as well be me!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I don’t think you understand the concept of depth.  No wonder you white knight for Cashman

How many #1 receivers you want to carry? 3? 4? Tell me, Philly!

Just now, bicketybam said:

How many #1 receivers you want to carry? 3? 4? Tell me, Philly!

Well considering your false dilemma fallacy which is normally how you try to argue the only WR corps I find acceptable would have 5 hall of famers when I’m actually asking for more than 1 starting caliber NFL Wide Receiver on what’s supposed to be a Super Bowl winning roster

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Well considering your false dilemma fallacy which is normally how you try to argue the only WR corps I find acceptable would have 5 hall of famers when I’m actually asking for more than 1 starting caliber NFL Wide Receiver on what’s supposed to be a Super Bowl winning roster

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

Oh right the guy on PUP coming off a serious knee injury what position does he play and does it involve running?

Now now Thorny.  I know it will be hard for you to search for misery during the 13-4 season.  I feel bad for you.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, the NFL is a sports league where, for most part, the players try and take advantage of the teams, and the teams try and take advantage of the players.  I think you are more likely to see a player do the right thing by his teammates and team, than a team doing the right thing by player.  

Lazard completely checked out when Rodgers went down.  He had no desire to expose himself to injury.  He was getting paid last year, and he is getting paid this year.  This year he is playing to keep him contract for next year, or have another team sign him.   Rodgers will also make him play.  Myself and others all predicted a better year for Lazard this year.  

There are other examples.

Becton may have stunk for the most part last year, but he did not quit or tap out.  He played hurt the entire season.  He got another contract.  

Mosley was looking like he was fading, but when he became cuttable he turned it on to become once again one of the better LBs in the NFL.  

Tyron Smith and Mike Williams will all have solid prove it years this year, I predict.

JD is actually pretty good at finding players who want to prove it.  Saleh tells his players he is going to find a way for them to get paid, by the Jets or someone else.  

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Hurts my ears to listen, hurts my eyes to see,  

when Allen Lazard plays w/ Zach Wilson, it might as well be me!!!!

Missed opportunity, Oracle. The proper response was:

What's really going to bake your noodle is would Lazard have still checked out if Rodgers never got injured.

If you're going to play the part then play it right, Jerky.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Missed opportunity, Oracle. The proper response was:

What's really going to bake your noodle is would Lazard have still checked out if Rodgers never got injured.

If you're going to play the part then play it right, Jerky.

The Oracle doesnt ask rhetorical questions, jerky.  However, the Oracle does like the Grateful Dead and enjoys telling her stories through song.

• Upvote 2

Right now, Lazard is getting starting reps at the X while Mike Williams continues his recovery (nice having a MW sighting today). Once Williams is back, Lazard presumably drops to WR4. If they’re truly impressed with what he’s done in shorts over a couple summer practices, what they should do is give him some slot reps with Gipson out a week or so and Corley trying to get up to speed running routes. He’s not gonna have much of a bounce back year from the WR4 spot. 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Lazard is a much better player when he’s playing with Rodgers. The guy clocked out the second Rodgers got hurt - which is terrible… but now that Rodgers is back it wouldn’t surprise me if he bounced back with a solid season 

Corey Davis retiring ****ed Lazard so hard. He is not a #2 receiver, and Davis bouncing put him in the worst possible spot. 

• Upvote 3