No Reddick = No Super Bowl

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Regardless of what happened with Reddick, it’s not a good thing that Douglas is tight to the cap right now with the results his teams have produced. 

He’s not, though. He has $57M in room next year to borrow from, the way John Lynch borrowed his way into a $38M hole next year. The Jets are in much better cap shape than the 49ers. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

this is asinine...jets won 7 games with equivalent of me at QB. what's your point? jets defense hasnt been good? let them down? or was meant to win 12 games without any offense?

the defense was is and will be elite...

How could you possibly misread me saying “hopefully the third year will be the charm” as me saying say they weren’t elite? 

If you took the time to think about what I said before resorting to snark, you would’ve realized I was saying this could be the year that we take advantage of having that elite defense.
My bad for assuming you were in agreement that the offense let them down the past two seasons.
Hopefully this answer is a little easier for you to follow??

24 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s not, though. He has $57M in room next year to borrow from, the way John Lynch borrowed his way into a $38M hole next year. The Jets are in much better cap shape than the 49ers. 

The Jets haven’t even begun the process of paying their Nick Bosa’s. What’s inflating the Jets current cap number is the $40mm they’re on the hook for with Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Zach Wilson, JFM, Carl Lawson, and Duane Brown. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Niners are in a “hole” next year because Nick Bosa is carrying a $72 million dollar cap hit in ‘25 which will obviously be restructured. The Jets haven’t even begun the process of paying their Nick Bosa’s. What’s inflating the Jets current cap number is the $40mm they’re on the hook for with Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Zach Wilson, JFM, Carl Lawson, and Duane Brown. 

Bosa’s cap number for next season is $20M but, please, go on. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

How could you possibly misread me saying “hopefully the third year will be the charm” as me saying say they weren’t elite? 

If you took the time to think about what I said before resorting to snark, you would’ve realized I was saying this could be the year that we take advantage of having that elite defense.
My bad for assuming you were in agreement that the offense let them down the past two seasons.
Hopefully this answer is a little easier for you to follow??

maybe if you made sense to begin with, i'd follow?

I said we have an elite defense and your response was that "we said the same thing last year..."

what does that have to do with anything if you agree? gratuitous shot at the offense from last year? ok...i am snarky.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Bosa’s cap number for next season is $20M but, please, go on. 

Back to the topic, you’re still wrong. The Niners have been paying elite talent since Lynch got there while they were vying for Super Bowls. The Douglas Jets are paying a bunch of bad former free agent signings that are no longer with the team, and their non-Rodgers football future is bleak if its relying on Joe Douglas to draft another QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Back to the topic, you’re still wrong. The Niners have been paying elite talent since Lynch got there while they were vying for Super Bowls. The Douglas Jets are paying a bunch of bad former free agent signings that are no longer with the team, and their non-Rodgers football future is bleak if its relying on Joe Douglas to draft another QB. 

I appreciate your editorializing, but the numbers don’t really back it up. The Jets are paying guys like Quinnen, Reed, and Rodgers. Despite a $52M dead money pit, Douglas has managed to put together a roster that compares favorably to the 49ers. While the ‘9ers will have some tough decisions to make to get out from under a $38M deficit next year, JD will have $58M to play with before he even cuts Lazard. I’d be willing to guess that their willingness to trade Aiyuk is directly tied to that cap hellscape on their horizon. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I appreciate your editorializing, but the numbers don’t really back it up. The Jets are paying guys like Quinnen, Reed, and Rodgers. Despite a $52M dead money pit, Douglas has managed to put together a roster that compares favorably to the 49ers. While the ‘9ers will have some tough decisions to make to get out from under a $38M deficit next year, JD will have $58M to play with before he even cuts Lazard. I’d be willing to guess that their willingness to trade Aiyuk is directly tied to that cap hellscape on their horizon. 

I struggle with OTC’s mobile UX experience. They’re weighing trading Aiyuk because they already have another blue chip receiver on the roster, to go along with their blue chip RB and TE. Using your logic re: borrowing from future years, the Niners have $44 mil in ‘26 and nearly $200 mil in ‘27, which they can use to pay their top tier 24 year old QB. 

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I struggle with OTC’s mobile UX experience. They’re weighing trading Aiyuk because they already have another blue chip receiver on the roster, to go along with their blue chip RB and TE. Using your logic re: borrowing from future years, the Niners have $44 mil in ‘26 and nearly $200 mil in ‘27, which they can use to pay their top tier 24 year old QB. 

The Jets have $121M in cap space in 2026. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

And haven’t named a single later pick by name for any of them. Nothing at all to back your claim that JD sucks compared to anyone actually doing the job. 

Want to do the Chiefs roster?

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Want to do the Chiefs roster?

I’d love to hear all about all the rosters around the league that demonstrate to you that Joe Douglas sucks at drafting after the first couple rounds. So, again, if you wanna tell me that Joe Douglas is the third best GM in the league behind Lynch and Reid, cool, I’m down. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’d love to hear all about all the rosters around the league that demonstrate to you that Joe Douglas sucks at drafting after the first couple rounds. So, again, if you wanna tell me that Joe Douglas is the third best GM in the league behind Lynch and Reid, cool, I’m down. 

I’m very interested in understanding your rationale behind Douglas being good at the draft but the Jets not winning games. Unpack that for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I’m very interested in understanding your rationale behind Douglas being good at the draft but the Jets not winning games. Unpack that for me.

Horrific QB play (for which he is responsible), and an irrational number of injuries to the OL. 

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I don’t think he will be MVP Rodgers but he can still be good.  Biggest thing holding him back is we have no depth at WR

Yes.  Mike Williams is a key for this team.  GW's, with a good QB, is a top 5 WR  in the NFL (IMO) If MW is healthy we have the WR's.

When all is said and done, what Rodgers is will ultimately determine if this is a legit SB threat or not.

9 hours ago, slats said:

So what GMs are doing all these great things in rounds 3-7? If that’s your line of attack, certainly you have some examples at the ready, no? 

It cuts both ways. No one gives a sh*t what you do in 3-7 if you get a top 10 QB with the Mr. Irrelevant pick. Douglas spent the second overall pick on Zach Wilson, so you guys have to come back with Jamien Sherwood and The Other Michael Carter.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It cuts both ways. No one gives a sh*t what you do in 3-7 if you get a top 10 QB with the Mr. Irrelevant pick. Douglas spent the second overall pick on Zach Wilson, so you guys have to come back with Jamien Sherwood and The Other Michael Carter.

I also gave examples of good players from 3-7. Warner and Kittle are both all pros.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In fairness to slats, if, say, James Morgan had become a solid starting QB, the Douglas track record would appear to be better than it is. Unfortunately for Douglas, there’s no world where Woody Johnson would have let Douglas bench Trey Lance and elevate Brock Purdy. Here, they would have fired the OC at the behest of Trey Lance’s mom. Also doesn’t help that Douglas’ head coach is a meathead LB coach and, sure, the LBs are good but everything else is a house afire. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In fairness to slats, if, say, James Morgan had become a solid starting QB, the Douglas track record would appear to be better than it is. Unfortunately for Douglas, there’s no world where Woody Johnson would have let Douglas bench Trey Lance and elevate Brock Purdy. Here, they would have fired the OC at the behest of Trey Lance’s mom. Also doesn’t help that Douglas’ head coach is a meathead LB coach and, sure, the LBs are good but everything else is a house afire. 

Firing Mike LaFleur might be the move we look back on 10 years hence as we now do Belichick resigning because he correctly sized Woody up in their first meeting.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In fairness to slats, if, say, James Morgan had become a solid starting QB, the Douglas track record would appear to be better than it is.

This is just the inverse of slats saying "Take away Purdy, and those guys [i.e., Lynch et al] might not be working." Well...yeah. These are just explanations for why Lynch is a great GM and Douglas is a bad one, only phrased hypothetically for some reason.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Correct. Meanwhile, the Jets actually went out of their way to keep the QB cupboard empty behind Zach to -- I guess -- preserve his confidence by not getting clearly outplayed in practice by a guy like Teddy Bridgewater. And yet, all the schlubs they brought in for that purpose still outperformed Zach when given the opportunity.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is just the inverse of slats saying "Take away Purdy, and those guys [i.e., Lynch et al] might not be working." Well...yeah. These are just explanations for why Lynch is a great GM and Douglas is a bad one, only phrased hypothetically for some reason.

For sure. If you’re evaluating GMs based solely on their hit rates in rounds 3-7, they mostly look the same. But that’s like a fraction of a percent what adds up to a good GM. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

For sure. If you’re evaluating GMs based solely on their hit rates in rounds 3-7, they mostly look the same. But that’s like a fraction of a percent what adds up to a good GM. 

Yeah, more important are things such as not trading for guys who demand a trade before even stepping inside the building.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

That’s cool, but Matt and I were talking about his repeated assertion that Joe Douglas sucks at drafting after the first couple rounds. I’ve asked him to tell me all the GMs who are better at it than him. So far he’s come up with one, John Lynch, who drafted two late round pro bowlers years before JD became a GM. 

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I also gave examples of good players from 3-7. Warner and Kittle are both all pros.

So since 2018 there’s been Brock Purdy, I guess? I’m good with Joe Douglas being second best. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s cool, but Matt and I were talking about his repeated assertion that Joe Douglas sucks at drafting after the first couple rounds. I’ve asked him to tell me all the GMs who are better at it than him. So far he’s come up with one, John Lynch, who drafted two late round pro bowlers years before JD became a GM. 

So since 2018 there’s been Brock Purdy, I guess? I’m good with Joe Douglas being second best. 

Pick another team then. Baltimore- how about them?

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pick another team then. Baltimore- how about them?

Again, if he sucks, you should have at least 20 examples at the ready. Instead you’re reaching. Why not just admit that this is a watered down weak sauce argument from you and try a new tack, instead? 

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not arguing for or against here but the answer to this question is ridiculously obvious.  Granted it includes an all time level bust in the draft selected by Douglas but as we’ve seen, even all the “great” GMs have a bust or 2 under their belt.  Especially at QB.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Again, if he sucks, you should have at least 20 examples at the ready. Instead you’re reaching. Why not just admit that this is a watered down weak sauce argument from you and try a new tack, instead? 

I gave you 15 teams. Why are you doing this?