2 injuries from yesterday; WR Irvin Charles & S/CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse.

Stock down: CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse

He’s been one of the surprises of the summer, standing out at a new position (converting from safety) both during practices and in last week’s preseason opener. He was battling with wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. on Saturday, and both were trading blows before Bernard-Converse left with a groin injury and was declared “doubtful” to return, which is never a good sign. Bernard-Converse is a safe bet to make the 53 but if the injury is serious that could throw a wrench into things.

Miscellaneous notes

• Wide receiver Irv Charles, a key special teamer, left Saturday’s game with a hip injury.

New York Jets stock report after preseason win over Carolina Panthers - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

4 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

He jaked it on that punt block. Lazy effort.

I understand your being upset with low effort, but it's preseason.  We need him healthy during the regular season.  Also, is it possible that the injury happened before that punt?  Perhaps he was hurting before that kick, and that kept him from going all out.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, varjet said:

The fix is in.  put these guys on IR.  They will be back in season. 

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

100%

If they put them on IR now, they are done for the year.

You have to make the opening 53 and then go onto IR to be eligible to return in-season.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Pretty sure he was the reason they let Hardee walk.  

I think $ was the reason for Hardee not returning.

Hardee's primary replacement is expected to be Irv Charles, a former undrafted free agent who earned a spot on the team due to his special-teams prowess and helped fill in admirably while Hardee was sidelined last season.

Charles is under contract for just $915,000 in 2024. The veteran minimum for a player with 7+ years of experience (which Hardee has) is $1.65 million next season. There's no scenario in which Hardee could've been signed for less than Charles.

The Jets remain high on Charles' potential and were impressed by his performance last season. Charles led all Jets players with a 90.3 Pro Football Focus special-teams grade in 2023 and finished second on the team with eight special-teams tackles despite playing only 12 games.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Why?  He is our best STs gunner.  He shouldn't see the field on offense, but until we can find a better gunner, needs to stay.

Charles has been flagged for drive killing holding penalties the last 2 games straight & I haven't seen him do anything positive the whole pre-season that has stood out.

I understand that his value is supposed to be on ST's, but I'd rather keep Codrington, if I was forced to pick one or the other.

Echols is a pretty good gunner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Charles has been flagged for drive killing holding penalties the last 2 games straight & I haven't seen him do anything positive the whole pre-season that has stood out.

I understand that his value is supposed to be on ST's, but I'd rather keep Codrington, if I was forced to pick one or the other.

Glad Boyer gets more votes than you on this one. If he's healthy, Charles is a lock.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think $ was the reason for Hardee not returning.

Hardee's primary replacement is expected to be Irv Charles, a former undrafted free agent who earned a spot on the team due to his special-teams prowess and helped fill in admirably while Hardee was sidelined last season.

Charles is under contract for just $915,000 in 2024. The veteran minimum for a player with 7+ years of experience (which Hardee has) is $1.65 million next season. There's no scenario in which Hardee could've been signed for less than Charles.

The Jets remain high on Charles' potential and were impressed by his performance last season. Charles led all Jets players with a 90.3 Pro Football Focus special-teams grade in 2023 and finished second on the team with eight special-teams tackles despite playing only 12 games.

Gunners aren't needed as much in the new kickoff format... so his role has basically disappeared.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It would be great if Codrington could prove to be a great gunner as well as return man.  Then perhaps he could replace Charles on the roster, but he is a rookie.  It would be a lot in an all-in season, to trust a rookie to be the top gunner and top return man.

Echols is their #1 backup CB.  Using him, Stiggers or JBC on STs would be risky, and not ver wise imo.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Didn't I see that we're using Stiggers and JBC as our gunners?

If that's the case. Charles' spot should go to a better WR like Brownlee.

I haven't read or seen that that is the case.  I'd be shocked if the jets were risking Stiggers and JBC on STs.  Both of their futures are too bright.  Brownlee should definitely make the team.  I don't think that he would clear waivers.  He's been coming on, and there are teams that have already lost WRs due to injury or not playing well in TC.  Toney is in danger of not making the team in TC, and they've lost a WR to injury.  They could sign Brownlee and Mahomes could make him a star.

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Gunners aren't needed as much in the new kickoff format... so his role has basically disappeared.

If that is correct, then that indeed would enable the Jets to get rid of Charles and keep Codrington.  

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

No. 6 WR never going to see the field.

Brownlee should clear waivers. Park him on the PSquad.

Charles is a dog at guner.

I disagree that Brownlee would clear waivers.  He's been coming on strong of late in TC, and as I reponded to another poster, other teams have WRs that have gotten injured or have WRs who way underperforming and in danger of not making the roster.  For starters, KC and the Bills would probably snatch Brownlee up in a NY minute.  There are probably other teams as well.

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73

Saleh said both CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse and S Isaiah Oliver will be sidelined the rest of camp with injuries - but should be back for Week 1. 

DT Leki Fotu will also be sidelined the rest of camp.

Saleh says WR/ST ace Irvin Charles could be back tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

It would be great if Codrington could prove to be a great gunner as well as return man.  Then perhaps he could replace Charles on the roster, but he is a rookie.  It would be a lot in an all-in season, to trust a rookie to be the top gunner and top return man.

Echols is their #1 backup CB.  Using him, Stiggers or JBC on STs would be risky, and not ver wise imo.

I haven't read or seen that that is the case.  I'd be shocked if the jets were risking Stiggers and JBC on STs.  Both of their futures are too bright.  Brownlee should definitely make the team.  I don't think that he would clear waivers.  He's been coming on, and there are teams that have already lost WRs due to injury or not playing well in TC.  Toney is in danger of not making the team in TC, and they've lost a WR to injury.  They could sign Brownlee and Mahomes could make him a star.

Stiggers is like the #5 or 6 CB.  Of course he should play specials.  Putting a guy on the field is not risking him, it is giving him a chance to play.  Echols was #4 last year with #5 being an almost unplayable Hall and he played over 200 snaps on specials. I think Stiggers looked pretty good as a gunner.  Echols is a solid special teamer, but nothing special as gunner IMO.

• Upvote 1

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
Jets injury updates:

NB Michael Carter (ankle): Day-to-day. Will be re-evaluated at the end of the week
TE Jeremy Ruckert (concussion): Back to practice (red jersey)
CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse (groin), S Isaiah Oliver (undisclosed) and DT Leki Fotu (hamstring) out the rest of camp, should be ready for Week 1, per Saleh

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stiggers is like the #5 or 6 CB.  Of course he should play specials.  Putting a guy on the field is not risking him, it is giving him a chance to play.  Echols was #4 last year with #5 being an almost unplayable Hall and he played over 200 snaps on specials. I think Stiggers looked pretty good as a gunner.  Echols is a solid special teamer, but nothing special as gunner IMO.

Thanks, I guess I don't pay much attention to who plays on STs. I just knew that there were a lot of injuries on STs play.  I guess if Echols and Stiggers are playing STs and doing it well, then they should keep doing it, especially if it enables the Jets to cut Charles and use his roster spot to keep Codrington or another young player with good upside potential.

9 hours ago, Skeptable said:

They come in handy on punts and it’s just a term for the outside defender