Trade Reddick Tonight

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Definitely don’t understand why he isn’t holding in. That is the part that’s really befuddling to me. It seems personal, like he believes he was lied to or something.

Which he probably was, but c'mon, he had to know what he was walking into.  He was being traded to a place where his chances of getting extended were certainly better than in Philly but not by much, and JD is mostly known as a frugal GM.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I might be giving JD too much credit here, but perhaps he said whatever he needed to say to get the Reddick camp to agree to the deal, whilst intending to kick the can down the road on any contract issues that would come later?

If so, still not a good use of foresight but at the same time he knows the rules - Reddick needs to show up by Week 6 the latest or he and his camp are f**ked. 

You know what would be interesting… maybe Reddick is slipping and he knows it and wants to cash in before the NFL knows it, too.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Probably, but I think this goes to the low cost the Jets gave up for him. Douglas said back in the spring that they had no intention of adding another edge and that Reddick becoming available caught them off guard and changed their thinking and that it all happened very quickly. 

I suspect what happened is that Douglas thought something like: “we can get Reddick here for a 3rd rounder TWO years from now!?!?!?! Do it, we’ll get something worked out” 

Yeah it was cheap. I just don’t understand why the Jets are willing to talk about a new deal but insisting he be here. Seems would’ve been easier to add a bandaid extra year at the time of the deal and avoid all this nonsense.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I might be giving JD too much credit here, but perhaps he said whatever he needed to say to get the Reddick camp to agree to the deal, whilst intending to kick the can down the road on any contract issues that would come later?

If so, still not a good use of foresight but at the same time he knows the rules - Reddick needs to show up by Week 6 the latest or he and his camp are f**ked. 

I thought it was week 10?

He only needs to be on the starting roster for 6 regukar season games to get an accrued season, the last that I read, here it is;

Accrued seasons: Used to determine a player's free agency status (unrestricted, restricted, exclusive rights). In order to accrue a season, a player must have been on (or should have been on*) full-play status for at least six regular-season games in a given season. A player under contract must report to his team's training camp on his mandatory reporting date in order to earn an accrued season. If player holds out his services for a "material period of time," he is also at risk of not accruing a season.

2023 NFL free agency explainer: Vital information on franchise tags, contract terms, salary cap and more

So to be on the roster for at least 6 regular season games and get credit for an accrued season, I believe Reddick would have to report by week 10.

Unless I'm just reading this wrong.

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Perhaps I’m not making the point artfully enough. Reddick had been in a hold out for months with the Birds. That was the status of the player we were acquiring. If JD believed he was suddenly cool with that contract after a trade, well, pretty naive for an NFL GM, as the results have now convincingly demonstrated.

Months of holding out of what?  The Eagles hadnt even held their first camp when they traded Reddick.  Maybe they thought one was on the horizon, which is more than likely true but there was nothing to hold out of and he didnt come out and say he wasnt going to play for the Eagles under that contract.  Unless I missed something...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which he probably was, but c'mon, he had to know what he was walking into.  He was being traded to a place where his chances of getting extended were certainly better than in Philly but not by much, and JD is mostly known as a frugal GM.

I think what happened is both sides used the other and now neither wants to admit they got fingerbanged on the first date.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

You know what would be interesting… maybe Reddick is slipping and he knows it and wants to cash in before the NFL knows it, too.

That's absolutely a factor.  The NFL's secondary acronym is Not For Long.  He only just turned 29 but that's not exactly young any longer.  He's one injury and/or productivity downturn year away from costing himself a lot of money and is desperate to cash in NOW before that can happen.

1 minute ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Months of holding out of what?  The Eagles hadnt even held their first camp when they traded Reddick.  Maybe they thought one was on the horizon, which is more than likely true but there was nothing to hold out of and he didnt come out and say he wasnt going to play for the Eagles under that contract.  Unless I missed something...

Sorry wrong phrase. He was in a contract dispute for months; but you are correct not holding out since team activities hadn’t started, yet.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

That's absolutely a factor.  The NFL's secondary acronym is Not For Long.  He only just turned 29 but that's not exactly young any longer.  He's one injury and/or productivity downturn year away from costing himself a lot of money and is desperate to cash in NOW before that can happen.

Plus he's already held out THIS long so he and his camp must be thinking "What's a little longer gonna hurt?"  Bit of honoring a sunken cost going on but sometimes people can't help but digging a deeper hole rather than cutting their losses.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Dudes prolly just sick and tired of wearing green on game day!

The good news is the difference between making the playoffs or not is probably not Reddick. Although, he could be the difference come January going up against the class of the AFC in the post season 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reddick turns 30 in 16 days. (Sept 22nd)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah it was cheap. I just don’t understand why the Jets are willing to talk about a new deal but insisting he be here. Seems would’ve been easier to add a bandaid extra year at the time of the deal and avoid all this nonsense.

Do we know for sure the Jets never made an offer of any kind?  I dunno if Reddick would've agreed to a 1-year extension but he be more willing to accept that the closer we get to week 6, lol.

The risks are currently asymmetrical as things stand with Reddick losing cash by chunks and presumably suffering at least some market damage to his brand.  A brand he is planning to sell on the open market as soon as possible.

For the Jets the draft capital invested is minimal and the cap dollars can be recaptured next year if not spent on Reddick.  What they don't get are the 2024 services of a premiere pass rusher. If their young guys improve as hoped for then this risk is largely mitigated right there.  If not then maybe Reddick has a stronger negotiating hand to play but even then I just don't see it because of the impact that JD caving would have on other contract that are due soon.

As others have said maybe this risk/reward calculation changes after the first week or two.

But at least Reddick has provided message board grist while we wait for the season to start.  TBH I was feeling a little weirded out by how perfectly the preseason was going for us outside of this issue.  Thanks Hassan! <not even kidding>

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sitting out in order to skip camp and preseason made sense.  Sitting out this long and risking game checks + opportunities at justifying an extension?  No sense whatsoever.  

Both sides come out of this looking dumb but Reddick's camp is DEFINITELY the dumber one, lol.

I joked weeks ago that he probably just saw this all as a great opportunity to skip camp and get some extra summer vacation time.

But it’s not clear what he’s doing now. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do we know for sure the Jets never made an offer of any kind?  

There are NY Post articles floating around here that said an offer/extension was made to him prior to the trade, which Reddick & his agent refused.

JD even awkwardly referenced it, in his last press conference.

What the offer was, nobody is saying.

When that offer was refused, JD should have walked away from this trade - which is a mistake he made, that will continue to haunt us.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Do we know for sure the Jets never made an offer of any kind?  I dunno if Reddick would've agreed to a 1-year extension but he be more willing to accept that the closer we get to week 6, lol.

All we know is jets traded for a guy in a contract dispute that has continued. Maybe JD’s plan was to basically hardball this all the way, if so, then I guess it’s going as expected. I still think a better plan would’ve been to try to hash out a 1 year bandaid extension and if Reddick refused to even discuss anything but a long term deal, don’t make the trade.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

That’s probably right but a 3rd is a lot to pay for a player you plan to keep on ice unless there is a need. Reddick’s demands at that point would be outrageous.

It’s a 3rd in 2026, which is roughly the equivalent of a 5th in 2024. Still arguably too much? Perhaps. 

although they will likely still see him at some point this year, so we’ll see what they ultimately get out of  him. 

I do agree with your larger point that it’s a good idea to work out the contract before trading for someone. It’s a very Jetsy situation, for sure 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It’s a 3rd in 2026, which is roughly the equivalent of a 5th in 2024. Still arguably too much? Perhaps. 

although they will likely still see him at some point this year, so we’ll see what they ultimately get out of  him. 

I do agree with your larger point that it’s a good idea to work out the contract before trading for someone. It’s a very Jetsy situation, for sure 

Call me a cynic but when an asset owner is selling at fire sale prices, I look for smoke damage.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah fair. Reddick probably did either misrepresent his position or changed his mind after the fact. But my point is that JD is a big boy and could’ve and should’ve done more to protect the team’s interest.

What team interest needs protecting here? So far, he hasn’t given up anything for Reddick. He owes the Eagles a pick in two years. The Jets defense is a top level unit without Reddick. The holdout sucks and frankly makes little sense from Reddick’s perspective, so I can understand not seeing it coming. He’s cost himself about $5M so far, and will lose another $800K a week starting Monday until he reports. In the meantime, the defense is fine and Reddick has cost them nothing in cash, either. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

All we know is jets traded for a guy in a contract dispute that has continued. Maybe JD’s plan was to basically hardball this all the way, if so, then I guess it’s going as expected. I still think a better plan would’ve been to try to hash out a 1 year bandaid extension and if Reddick refused to even discuss anything but a long term deal, don’t make the trade.

That’s not the plan. JD doesn’t want to resign Reddick. The plan is for Reddick to play out his contract year, with the Jets enjoying the fruits of those efforts, and then collecting -perhaps- a third round comp pick in 2026 that would essentially cover the cost of the trade. Signing him to a bogus extension and cutting him doesn’t get that done. 

Now it’s a game of chicken. Is Reddick prepared to sit for 11 games, losing another $9M or so in salary? Again, he hasn’t behaved logically so far, so anything could happen, but at that point he’d be playing this season for a net financial loss. Does he sit out the whole year? If so, the Jets hold his rights next season. If Douglas is offering him anything -a minor pay bump or some attainable incentives- his best move would be to report and collect. My best guess at this point, though, would be that he sits a game or two cynically hoping for an injury to one of his teammates, but ultimately comes in long before the last six games of the season. He needs to play this year -and play well- if he’s hoping to get over his bad look in this whole ordeal and land himself the contract he wants as he approaches his 31st birthday. 

We’ll see how it plays out, but I approve of the way Douglas is handling it right now. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

What team interest needs protecting here? So far, he hasn’t given up anything for Reddick. He owes the Eagles a pick in two years. The Jets defense is a top level unit without Reddick. The holdout sucks and frankly makes little sense from Reddick’s perspective, so I can understand not seeing it coming. He’s cost himself about $5M so far, and will lose another $800K a week starting Monday until he reports. In the meantime, the defense is fine and Reddick has cost them nothing in cash, either. 

That’s not the plan. JD doesn’t want to resign Reddick. The plan is for Reddick to play out his contract year, with the Jets enjoying the fruits of those efforts, and then collecting -perhaps- a third round comp pick in 2026 that would essentially cover the cost of the trade. Signing him to a bogus extension and cutting him doesn’t get that done. 

Now it’s a game of chicken. Is Reddick prepared to sit for 11 games, losing another $9M or so in salary? Again, he hasn’t behaved logically so far, so anything could happen, but at that point he’d be playing this season for a net financial loss. Does he sit out the whole year? If so, the Jets hold his rights next season. If Douglas is offering him anything -a minor pay bump or some attainable incentives- his best move would be to report and collect. My best guess at this point, though, would be that he sits a game or two cynically hoping for an injury to one of his teammates, but ultimately comes in long before the last six games of the season. He needs to play this year -and play well- if he’s hoping to get over his bad look in this whole ordeal and land himself the contract he wants as he approaches his 31st birthday. 

We’ll see how it plays out, but I approve of the way Douglas is handling it right now. 

Entitled to your perspective, but this situation is not the hallmark of skillful GM’ing to these old eyes. One must also consider the opportunity cost in time, energy, resources, distraction, and other avenues perhaps left under or un-explored as a result.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Entitled to your perspective, but this situation is not the hallmark of skillful GM’ing to these old eyes.

Low cost/high reward risk. As long as Reddick shows up and plays well at some point, it’s a win for the Jets. If he doesn’t show up, the Jets hold his rights and can trade him next winter when teams have cap room and assets to move. If he shows up and plays poorly, he will have lost a lot of money this year and in future earnings. 

Odds are he shows up, and puts out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Nobody else wanted to trade for Reddick before he pulled this BS

So if his trade value was negligible then, what do we think it is now? 😳

I think what he’s doing now is waiting for an injury to a pass rusher — either on the Jets or for another team, which may then be willing to make the Jets whole or even a little ahead in trade value and extend him simultaneously.

Personally I think he’s making a poor economic choice against his own self-interest, but I support his right to make it.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Low cost/high reward risk. As long as Reddick shows up and plays well at some point, it’s a win for the Jets. If he doesn’t show up, the Jets hold his rights and can trade him next winter when teams have cap room and assets to move. If he shows up and plays poorly, he will have lost a lot of money this year and in future earnings. 

Odds are he shows up, and puts out. 

The situation could still inure to the Jets favor, but I do think a savvier GM would’ve avoided the negatives while capturing the upsides.

WHen he sees the jets light up the 49ers with our guys and even the Undrafted dudes make plays(are any of them playing), he will come on back and stop giving away his money. He is hoping that our team has no pass rush and will be willing to come  in and meet any of this ridiculous asks. Its just bad faith, probably bad advice and ultimatley just about the worse way for him to conduct himself. BUt he is probably just following bad advice. I hope someone talks to him cause he's lost about 5 or 6 mill so far.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

The situation could still inure to the Jets favor, but I do think a savvier GM would’ve avoided the negatives while capturing the upsides.

not sure which GM could do better:

Jets: we will trade for you and let you play here and work on your contract this season for an extensions or long term deal, it will be great to have you on the Jets! That way you will get big FA contract or can sign with us and up and coming team that will value you!

HR: That sounds great! I cant way to play for you guys get me outta Philly they don't even want to talk about an extension. 

Jets: ok see you at camp, we should get a hot start, come bye week we can figure some different options

HR: .....

Jets: Hassan?

HR: i want new contract right now

Jets: but you said...crap..

40 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jets: we will trade for you and let you play here and work on your contract this season for an extensions or long term deal, it will be great to have you on the Jets! That way you will get big FA contract or can sign with us and up and coming team that will value you!

HR: That sounds great! I cant way to play for you guys get me outta Philly they don't even want to talk about an extension. 

Jets: ok see you at camp, we should get a hot start, come bye week we can figure some different options

Hope it works out.

Maybe I’m too cynical but I don’t put a whole lot of faith in words when it comes to business.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hope it works out.

Maybe I’m too cynical but I don’t put a whole lot of faith in words when it comes to business.

sh*t you are right about that! I hope it does too, I just think that HR is just playing this situation about as poorly as you can. He is literally just giving away money for no reason.  Taking the route of least likely to benefit him. Its crazy really. 

I 100 Percent hope to see him in green and white this year and soon.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Joe Douglas gets paid Millions of Dollars a year - in part to not make mistakes like this.

Do you know of any other job where a guy getting paid millions of dollars - agreed to a $14mm deal, gave away substantive assets - but didn't get a contract?

How long do you think that guy would have a job?

Now, I'm not saying to fire JD - but he surely has a lot of responsibility here.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas gets paid Millions of Dollars a year - in part to not make mistakes like this.

Do you know of any other job where a guy getting paid millions of dollars - agreed to a $14mm deal, gave away substantive assets - but didn't get a contract?

How long do you think that guy would have a job?

Now, I'm not saying to fire JD - but he surely has a lot of responsibility here.

Batman 1966 GIF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They reportedly made him an under-market bump/offer before the trade went through and he turned it down. It may have been a 1-year extension but that could also be a phony one (either an automatic void or the player could unilaterally opt out of it or whatever). Whatever it was, it was surely lower than the $22MM/year 3-year extension offer he turned down from the Eagles. 

Things Reddick could've/should've done instead of what he has done and is doing:

1. Negotiated only a 2-year deal with the Eagles instead of 3.
  2. Take the $22MM x 3 deal from the Eagles.
  3. Take a band-aid bump from the Jets (not what he wants but surely gave him a bit more security than his current deal). 
  4. Stage a hold-in instead of a holdout. Be a visible distraction to coaches, players, and yes reporters every single day. It also leaves things so any negotiated pay raise all goes to you instead of millions off the top first going to pay off mandatory fines. 
  5. (After staging a hold-in) worst case at this point is just play out the rest of the original deal: even though it's not what you want, sometimes the only option is the best deal you can get. This team produces sacks for its top pass rusher and maybe you earn the  March deal you think you could get as a pure UFA.

I'm sure it's hard to negotiate with a side that behaves so irrationally. The only rational part of his stance has been that he wants more money, which I certainly get. The manner he's gone about it is idiotic, and frankly, seems enormously amateurish. 

The best light one can shed is he naively and foolishly thought he had anywhere near the same leverage over the Jets that Lamb had with Dallas, Chase with the Bengals, Williams with San Fran, Love with the Packers, Tua with the Dolphins, or last year Bosa with San Fran + Jones with KC. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I raised this point several times recently without a lot of traction.  The reason it still niggles at me is that it would provide a logical rationale for what otherwise seems to be utterly illogical behavior on the part of Reddick.

• Upvote 3