New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

2 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

emoji23.png don’t hurt yourself with this reach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s not really Douglas caving or not caving. Woody likely has a number that he’s not moving on. Douglas obviously wants the player in house. Again, this was mangled from the outset by not having an agreement in place with the owner and the player. 

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Reddick will retire at 35, not 65.

And while I agree with you that he likely has plenty of money to live a “great” life if he has invested wisely, there are degrees of “great”. You seem to imply it makes little difference to him whether he retires with $25M or north of $50M in the bank — and that’s just innaccurate. The difference in lifestyle is substantial.

I'm mot implying that at all.  I have no idea what difference it makes to him.  Just saying 25 million and your health is fantastic.  50M without it would suck big time.  Football is a huge risk.  It's very under rated how big it is.

I also don't doubt that he can make substantial income out of football, not football money but not insignificant.  

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

come on admit it.  it will make you a little bit happy to be able to dunk on jd/woody if this happens.

It seemed pretty straight forward considering the circumstances of the roster construction with a 40 year old QB. 

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

wrong in so many ways.  for one, this excludes living expenses.  in his first 4 years he made 7mm approx after tax/agents/union.  he bought mom an house/car and he bought himself a car and probably a house also.   My guess is he has at most 2mm saved from that time.  the one year at the panthers was 3mm after tax.  maybe 2mm max.  that's 4mm.  

so he's really only had the 15mm (30mm over 2 years post tax/fees) for the past 2 years.   So maybe 1mm per year in investment income. 

i don't see how he didn't spend at least 2mm per year over the last two years.   that leaves him with $12-13MM.

My wife has been trying to spend 2 million a year for the last 5 years.  Hasn't gotten there once.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It seemed pretty straight forward considering the circumstances of the roster construction with a 40 year old QB. 

so you would have given Huff the tag and expect him to play on it (i think he would have played on it, unhappily)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Which makes not securing Huff even wilder in hindsight. The Eagles forecasted this exact scenario and knew they didn’t want to pay Reddick. 

This is a crock of sh*t.  They didn't secure Huff because they didn't want to pay him that much and only saw him as a part time player.  Whatever goes on with Reddick he seems to be a better choice for part time pass rusher.  

All the whining about the D not being as good without Reddick (or Huff) also might be a bit misplaced IMO.  I don't think they will be as good at dedicated pass rusher without either, but I think that they see Kinlaw and Fotu as a huge upgrade over Jefferson.  I think Q really missed having Rankins next to him.  Jefferson was solid enough but pretty much a JAG.  I guess they also lost Whitehead, but they seem very happy to have Clark back.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is a crock of sh*t.  They didn't secure Huff because they didn't want to pay him that much and only saw him as a part time player.  Whatever goes on with Reddick he seems to be a better choice for part time pass rusher.  

All the whining about the D not being as good without Reddick (or Huff) also might be a bit misplaced IMO.  I don't think they will be as good at dedicated pass rusher without either, but I think that they see Kinlaw and Fotu as a huge upgrade over Jefferson.  I think Q really missed having Rankins next to him.  Jefferson was solid enough but pretty much a JAG.  I guess they also lost Whitehead, but they seem very happy to have Clark back.

Everyone on the dline is a part time player 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

so you would have given Huff the tag and expect him to play on it (i think he would have played on it, unhappily)

Huff wasn't good enough to start but is good enough to pay top 5 money to? $22 million for a guy who can't play on run downs was never on the table.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Yes. The QB is 40. Huff hadnt been paid yet and he was on a UDFA salary. He would have played.  The Reddick mess was entirely avoidable if you look at it rationally.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jack Straw said:

Huff wasn't good enough to start but is good enough to pay top 5 money to? $22 million for a guy who can't play on run downs was never on the table.

For one year when you have to win? What’s the downside?

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

A third Rd pick that becomes a 2nd is not nothing 

They could have just paid Huff 

The Jets are a poorly run franchise 

52 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what's your expectation for the record this year?  

I'd rather know his explanation for how that 2026 third is going to become a second.  Reddick is going to hold out and have more than 67% of the snaps!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Everyone on the dline is a part time player 

I see what you're getting at but JJ played 66% of snaps, Quinnen 69%, JFM 55%....and Huff 42%....I don't think the coaching staff has any faith that he could hold up consistently against the run. He was likely never going to see more than 50% of snaps.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

Yes. The QB is 40. Huff hadnt been paid yet and he was on a UDFA salary. He would have played.  The Reddick mess was entirely avoidable if you look at it rationally.

i think he would have played as well.  19mm was the transition tag and probably worth it.

i have come around - i thought the tag was 22-23mm.  at 19mm should have paid him for a year.  i don't think he would have sat out.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

your position basically causes the Jets years of pain with Sauce, wilson, hall etc.

thankfully JD is handling this correctly, even to his own potential detriment. 

Every negotiation is different from the others.  People understand the situation.  

Joe is going to have to find a way to keep them and likely will because we still don't have a future QB.

There is a tiny window here and I'm really shocked by Jet fans unwillingness to see it.   

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I see what you're getting at but JJ played 66% of snaps, Quinnen 69%, JFM 55%....and Huff 42%....I don't think the coaching staff has any faith that he could hold up consistently against the run. He was likely never going to see more than 50% of snaps.

The Jets stunk last year bc the offense stunk. They were designed to play from ahead where Huff would have been given more snaps ideally.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I believe the CB market will be drastically reset and Sauce will be the guy to do it.  The CB market was reset in 2022.  The NFL salary cap is almost 50 million more this year than 22.  It will be more next year.  Wilson will get Jefferson money and so will Sauce.  Sauce is going to break the bank and reset the CB market.  The WR market was reset this year.  Not the CB market.

Sauce absolutely will reset the CB market. He's not going to reset it by 150% of the current top CB contract. And if that's what he wants, then he's only going to see that money after 2 seasons playing on the franchise tag.

The WR market was reset this year by 16.6%; the top contract went from 30M AAV (Hill) to 35 (Jefferson). A similar reset to the CB market would take it all the way to 24.5M. There's no universe where he gets to 35 without an intervening jump to at least 28, which isn't going to happen. More likely, Surtain resets it to ~23-24 and Sauce to 25.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your point being?  Some are part time to save themselves for important downs (Quinnen) and some were part time because they can't play the run.

If the Jets are what they’re supposed to be this year they’ll be playing with a lead in the second half. Retaining Huff in a season that’s must win just seemed like an easy decision. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For one year when you have to win? What’s the downside?

The downside is that bringing him back takes playing time away from Will McDonald, who was a significant investment in terms of draft capital and salary. Now if McDonald is Vernon Gholston, then sure, paying Huff $22 million makes sense. But if McDonald can play at a high level (which should be expected) as a situational pass rusher (ie 42% of the snaps), then paying big money to Huff doesn't make much sense.

• Upvote 1

I wouldnt be so hard on JD

A conversation must have happened between them beforehand. He came here and yacked it up to the media as if he was here to play. Then suddenly, he holds out. I dont see that being a JD failure. You can argue that JD should just pay him, but for once in our lives we are drafting well and have contributors all over the team that are on rookie contracts. Thats how you build a team. You cant give a 31 year old pass rusher a huge contract while trying to keep wilson sauce and breece

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The downside is that bringing him back takes playing time away from Will McDonald, who was a significant investment in terms of draft capital and salary. Now if McDonald is Vernon Gholston, then sure, paying Huff $22 million makes sense. But if McDonald can play at a high level (which should be expected) as a situational pass rusher (ie 42% of the snaps), then paying big money to Huff doesn't make much sense.

Fair. But now add on the Reddick situation- and where did this exactly get the Jets? Just seemed like this was all avoidable. I don’t get the feeling Reddick is showing up before he has to in order to accrue a season.

1 hour ago, mfmartin said:

The whole you can kiss Sauce, Garrett, JJ and Breece goodbye horsesh*t you led off with.

Yeah?  Where are you getting the money for Sauce, Garrett, JJ, MCII, and Breece, who I didn’t even initially mention, if you give Reddick a multi-year deal, worth $25 million dollars per year, with the guaranteed money that he’s looking for?  This math lesson from you should be fun.

• Upvote 1

I wouldnt be so hard on JD
A conversation must have happened between them beforehand. He came here and yacked it up to the media as if he was here to play. Then suddenly, he holds out. I dont see that being a JD failure. You can argue that JD should just pay him, but for once in our lives we are drafting well and have contributors all over the team that are on rookie contracts. Thats how you build a team. You cant give a 31 year old pass rusher a huge contract while trying to keep wilson sauce and breece

I can’t think of a player ever being traded and holding out. That’s on Douglas

Just now, Matt39 said:

Fair. But now add on the Reddick situation- and where did this exactly get the Jets? Just seemed like this was all avoidable. I don’t get the feeling Reddick is showing up before he has to in order to accrue a season.

Reddick in the regular season doesn't really add to the Jets win total in any meaningful way. They're not missing the playoffs because he decides to miss 11 games. He was brought here for the playoff run -- so if he's here by week 13, that's fine by me and worth the draft capital + headache.

Reddick got terrible advice along the way. He's going to cost himself money that he's unlikely to recoup in FA. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Sauce absolutely will reset the CB market. He's not going to reset it by 150% of the current top CB contract. And if that's what he wants, then he's only going to see that money after 2 seasons playing on the franchise tag.

The WR market was reset this year by 16.6%; the top contract went from 30M AAV (Hill) to 35 (Jefferson). A similar reset to the CB market would take it all the way to 24.5M. There's no universe where he gets to 35 without an intervening jump to at least 28, which isn't going to happen. More likely, Surtain resets it to ~23-24 and Sauce to 25.

This years reset was 23 to 24.  I believe the CB market was reset in 22?  I might be wrong but I think it makes a big difference.  I also see the argument that a superior CB who can shut down the top WR's should get equal pay. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets had him listed as a LB in 2023. The franchise tag for LB is even more. 24 mil. So basically Myles Garrett money for a guy that plays only on passing downs and who's best year was 10 sacks. Makes sense 🤣

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

The more I think about this is might be the only reason that makes sense.  Maybe he needs to hold out for his money now because he is not able to prove that he is an elite pass rusher any more.  Maybe he and his representation knows that this would become obvious if he suits up and plays.

At least that would explain why he is doing what he is doing.

JD with more 3D chess.  Traded for a washed out bum because he knew he was going to hold out.  Brilliant.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Reddick in the regular season doesn't really add to the Jets win total in any meaningful way. They're not missing the playoffs because he decides to miss 11 games. He was brought here for the playoff run -- so if he's here by week 13, that's fine by me and worth the draft capital + headache.

Reddick got terrible advice along the way. He's going to cost himself money that he's unlikely to recoup in FA. 

In an effort to prevent risking his career for $850K/game ($14.5MM, including the workout bonus he didn't get, over 17 games), he's going to instead risk it for $280K/game (albeit for fewer games, of course).

If he can just show up for the last 6 games (at $838K) for $5MM total, and his August fines - which still need to get paid - total about $3.5MM, that means he's going to play 6 games for $1.5MM.

If the Jets still make the playoffs with a lower-tread Reddick playing for a major contract, while his cap number ends up in the $5MM range, and then they recoup a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2026 as a comp pick, they couldn't have drawn it up any better if it was planned to happen this way.

I don't know if it's going to play out that way, but if it is then it's quite arguably better than him playing out the full year under his existing deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

This years reset was 23 to 24.  I believe the CB market was reset in 22?  I might be wrong but I think it makes a big difference.  I also see the argument that a superior CB who can shut down the top WR's should get equal pay. 

Here's what the current CB contracts look like https://overthecap.com/contracts. Market setter was Alexander in 2018; most recent big contracts were Ward in 2022 (20.1M) and Terrell this year (20.25) 

21 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The Jets had him listed as a LB in 2023. The franchise tag for LB is even more. 24 mil. So basically Myles Garrett money for a guy that plays only on passing downs and who's best year was 10 sacks. Makes sense 🤣

As opposed to not having him which is the alternative that has now played out. What did this cap space allow the Jets to do anyways?

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!