NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This ... These guys seem to be dug in on both sides ... [mention=10592]jgb[/mention] is not wrong ... Reddick is eating up cash that could be used elsewhere. The rest of the world is not wrong either in that Hassan must have a completely distorted world view of himself. The only way this works out for Hassan is if he gets the Brinks truck fully guaranteed deal that makes massive cash loss he will experience seem like peanuts... And even then ... He could have made much much more by playing the season out... Plus he would have control of his destination on FA.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

No one is going to give this guy a multi year deal next year

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

This situation Reddick put himself in is peak stupidity. 

100%

Reddick made this bed and it was and still is up to him to lie in it.

The mistake is in thinking he will get himself a better bed next year.  That ship has sailed

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

100%

Reddick made this bed and it was and still is up to him to lie in it.

The mistake is in thinking he will get himself a better bed next year.  That ship has sailed

He did make his bed and has to lie in it. And for whatever reason JD decided to lie down with him when it could’ve easily been avoided.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jumbo and the Elliots said:

There’s a lot of rumor going around that there’s quite a bit of talk with the Raiders. I don’t see it but my sources tell me that it’s pretty close.

A Reddick for Adams trade probably saves our season 

it would help the raiders too.  Adams is relegated to a being possession receiver with Minshew who stinks.  Reddick would upgrade their defense 

1 hour ago, FlightBoyz said:

This situation Reddick put himself in is peak stupidity. 

What position is he in?  He can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life.  Most people never get a chance to do what Reddick is doing.  He walked on to a small school program, worked very hard.  Put up elite numbers at the NFL combine and got himself a first round contract and a second contract.  He’s now in a position where he doesn’t have to play for less than he thinks he’s worth and can do something else until that changes.   

Talk about leverage I would have loved to be in Reddick’s position at 30 years old.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

He did make his bed and has to lie in it. And for whatever reason JD decided to lie down with him when it could’ve easily been avoided.

JD will be judged based on his full body of work and yes that includes this episode as it is part of that canon of work.  The full story is yet to be told here and we just need to see how it plays out even though as Jets fans we crave a resolution right away.

As for GMs and firing offenses I think that any GM who would give Reddick a multiyear contract without very very strict performance clauses would be committing a firing offense.  In fact I am not sure that the kind of protections for the team that would be required are even permitted under the current CBA.  I also feel (potential collusion allegations notwithstanding) that no owner would permit his GM to make such a deal in the first place.  Every other owner in the league would be horrified at the precedent such a contract would be setting.

I think this whole episode puts Reddick firmly into the same "unemployable" category that was once reserved for Colin Kaepernick

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

JD will be judged based on his full body of work and yes that includes this episode as it is part of that canon of work.  The full story is yet to be told here and we just need to see how it plays out even though as Jets fans we crave a resolution right away.

As for GMs and firing offenses I think that any GM who would give Reddick a multiyear contract without very very strict performance clauses would be committing a firing offense.  In fact I am not sure that the kind of protections for the team that would be required are even permitted under the current CBA.  I also feel (potential collusion allegations notwithstanding) that no owner would permit his GM to make such a deal in the first place.  Every other owner in the league would be horrified at the precedent such a contract would be setting.

I think this whole episode puts Reddick firmly into the same "unemployable" category that was once reserved for Colin Kaepernick

Reddick had his best year after signing his last contract.  There is no indication that he will dog it.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Reddick had his best year after signing his last contract.  There is no indication that he will dog it.

He had his best single year the year after he signed his current deal and then he had a huge drop off in performance in year two of that deal.  Just about the same time that he began to publicly complain about the terms of the deal the he signed.

Sorry but him dogging it is a very real option.

Him not showing up for work in the future despite having agreed to a deal is a very real option because it has happened before and is exactly what is happening now.

Why would any GM offer him a new multiyear deal when he has demonstrated that he does not consider a contract binding from his side?  Why would any GM do that if Reddick has personal evidence that such a strategy has worked for him before?

Why would any GM feel safe about any other contract he has made if the player can simply opt out at any time if the market moves in his favor?

Why would any of the other 31 owners not consider that an owner giving such a deal to a player in this circumstance is an open invitation to the entire NFL for follow suit with their own "ad hoc" negotiation?

No, the market for Reddick does not exist no matter how talented he may be at his job.  Ask Kaepernick how that works.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

He had his best single year the year after he signed his current deal and then he had a huge drop off in performance in year two of that deal.  Just about the same time that he began to publicly complain about the terms of the deal the he signed.

Sorry but him dogging it is a very real option.

Him not showing up for work in the future despite having agreed to a deal is a very real option because it has happened before and is exactly what is happening now.

Why would any GM offer him a new multiyear deal when he has demonstrated that he does not consider a contract binding from his side?  Why would any GM do that if Reddick has personal evidence that such a strategy has worked for him before?

Why would any GM feel safe about any other contract he has made if the player can simply opt out at any time if the market moves in his favor?

Why would any of the other 31 owners not consider that an owner giving such a deal to a player in this circumstance is an open invitation to the entire NFL for follow suit with their own "ad hoc" negotiation?

No, the market for Reddick does not exist no matter how talented he may be at his job.  Ask Kaepernick how that works.

Why would any GM sign anyone to more than a 1 year deal based on your interpretation of him having a bad year last year.  He went to the pro-bowl last year and had 11 sacks.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why would any GM sign anyone to more than a 1 year deal based on your interpretation of him having a bad year last year.  He went to the pro-bowl last year and had 11 sacks.

Because the drop off (to zero) coincided with his contract unhappiness,

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He is currently getting paid zero.  He's not working and he's not asking to be paid for not working.  

No, he is asking to be paid for a huge multiyear deal with a large sum of money up front when he has shown no willingness to keep his side of those kinds of deals,

Can you explain why it would be different next time?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Not calling for JD to be fired, and certainly not over this. My position is that this situation should’ve been avoided by making agreeing to terms a condition of the trade. Where we are now, JD doesn’t have a lot of great options. But he did put himself there.

• Upvote 2

Just now, EM31 said:

I am not on the inside and neither are you.

Why should he be trusted with a new multiyear deal when he did not honor his last one?

Why should JD be trusted to be the GM of the NY Jets.  Why should Hackett be trusted to be the Jets OC after the dissaster he had in Denver?  Why should Saleh still be the Jets HC and trusted to bring this team a deep playoff run.

This he didn't honor the last one is just a dumb argument.  I'm not saying your dumb or personally attacking you.  He's not playing football and not getting paid.  He has met his obligation for the guaranteed portion of his contract.  He is under no obligation to play football for the Jets or anyone else and the Jets have no obligation to pay him.  

• Post of the Week 1

Can we all agree that Quincy Williams has outplayed even his new re-worked deal?  If the precedent is set that any player outperforming his deal can hold out for a new one then what is to stop Quincy from doing that?  Or anyone else for that matter.

The "I am only one  play away from a career ending injury" is true for every player on every team.

Just now, Biggs said:

Why should JD be trusted to be the GM of the NY Jets.  Why should Hackett be trusted to be the Jets OC after the dissaster he had in Denver?  Why should Saleh still be the Jets HC and trusted to bring this team a deep playoff run.

This he didn't honor the last one is just a dumb argument.  I'm not saying your dumb or personally attacking you.  He's not playing football and not getting paid.  He has met his obligation for the guaranteed portion of his contract.  He is under no obligation to play football for the Jets or anyone else and the Jets have no obligation to pay him.  

Two things can be true.  JD may get fired this year and maybe this episode is part of that,  None of it changes the fact that Reddick is turning/has turned himself into a pariah. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, EM31 said:

Two things can be true.  JD may get fired this year and maybe this episode is part of that,  None of it changes the fact that Reddick is turning/has turned himself into a pariah. 

I suspect you don't know Reddick at all and this is simply the emotion of being a dissapointed fan. 

7 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Can we all agree that Quincy Williams has outplayed even his new re-worked deal?  If the precedent is set that any player outperforming his deal can hold out for a new one then what is to stop Quincy from doing that?  Or anyone else for that matter.

The "I am only one  play away from a career ending injury" is true for every player on every team.

There is nothing stopping them, though, except the financial consequences as negotiated by the parties and imputed via the CBA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

A Reddick for Adams trade probably saves our season 

it would help the raiders too.  Adams is relegated to a being possession receiver with Minshew who stinks.  Reddick would upgrade their defense 

Raiders aren’t trading for Reddick .    He wants an extension plus monster salary .   They have big money tied up in De position  MAXX Crosby, Tyree Wilson, and need to pay Malcolm Koonce next year.  ( he’s a free agent even if he misses a good portion of the season .       Makes zero sense to trade anything for him , and give him a big contact .   They would just sign yannick Ngahoue  if they were looking for cheaper option.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I suspect you don't know Reddick at all and this is simply the emotion of being a dissapointed fan. 

I do not know him from a hole i the wall.  I don't need to know him or any other player.  Personally I do draw the line at the kind of stuff that say a Deshaun Watson did or Tyreek Hill apparently did but outside of that kind of stuff I don't really care if the player is a saint or an a$$hole.  I care about what they do on Sundays.

I care about the salary cap because if it is mismanaged it impacts the ability of the team to be competitive over time, 

The Reddick situation has the potential to completely blow up the cap management of this team because of the impact on the contracts of other players.  It looks as a practical matter like the Jets have blown the $14M this year although they get to use most of that to help the team next year.  Reddick is a grown man and ultimately responsible for his own choices and he needs to understand that adopting this path at this time is going to result in the exact opposite of what he claims to want for himself.  i.e. Job security and appropriate compensation,

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Joe Douglas playing hungry hungry hippos while the rest of the league plays chess.

Disagree. 
some posters, in The offseason, claimed that he was the missing piece of the puzzle for a sb.

give me a break we will be lucky to make the playoffs this year so reddick can rot imo

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Expected Market Value (to bastardize a poker term).

Yes we agree

My contracts professor described a contract in a way that always stuck with me: “A contract isn’t an operational document. Most are thrown in a filing cabinet after they are signed and don’t come back out until there is a dispute. And that is because contracts are just a pre-negotiation of what happens if sh*t goes bad.”

So when people sometimes say “contracts are made to be broken,” it may be more accurate to say “contracts are made to make the consequences of breaking them predictable for all involved.”

Breaking them isn’t a moral issue, it’s an economic one.

• Upvote 1

What position is he in?  He can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life.  Most people never get a chance to do what Reddick is doing.  He walked on to a small school program, worked very hard.  Put up elite numbers at the NFL combine and got himself a first round contract and a second contract.  He’s now in a position where he doesn’t have to play for less than he thinks he’s worth and can do something else until that changes.   
Talk about leverage I would have loved to be in Reddick’s position at 30 years old.

The simple fact is if this is about money he’s making poor choices.

He is making a calculated choice to sacrifice 15 million this year in hopes his next contract is worth more. His next contract for three years would need to be at least 20 mil per season for him to even break even

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, funaz said:

The simple fact is if this is about money he’s making poor choices.

He is making a calculated choice to sacrifice 15 million this year in hopes his next contract is worth more. His next contract for three years would need to be at least 20 mil per season for him to even break even

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He may also be willing to sacrifice some upside to protect against the downside risk of sustaining a serious, career-threatening injury while he’s on a one year deal.

If insurance companies didn’t make money, they wouldn’t exist. Technically most insurance policies are “economically irrational” because the net present value of your premiums is higher than the risk of loss times the recovery amount. But when you’re talking about a loss that could wipe you out, you are willing to pay more to protect against that risk than it is actually valued from an actuarial standpoint.