Tua on IR

Joe W. Namath

I root for the laundry. Fcuk Tua and the horse he rode in on.  Anything that benefits the Jets is what I root for. Short of Tua's head literally falling off his body, I could care less what happens to him during the football season. I'm not rooting FOR his injury, I'm rooting for the Jets to take advantage of the situation. Did I already mention fcuk Tua? 

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I was honestly SHOCKED when the Dolphins gave him that contract given his concussion history.  I mean, can anyone in that building go to the owner and say "we had no idea something like this might happen".  

The dude should absolutely 100% retire, but I'm not so sure he does.

This 100% And it's why the Dolphins shouldn't get any cap relief help from the NFL. They knew the risks and gave him all that guaranteed money anyway. Too bad, so sad.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

NFL could care less. Now all of a sudden they care? How many years went by when they denied after effects of the violence inherent in the game. I could see a player risking his future health if he knows the facts but 15 years ago, this was washed watered and rinsed away by denial. Players  weren’t as informed as they are now and NOW they have to weigh the risk versus the reward. Regardless, NFL could care less. 

No, no, no.

They care about their image. 

They care about the potential public outcry should Tua suffer another high profile concussion. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Did everyone see the opening sequence of the NFL Today on CBS on Sunday? Basically every guy in the studio was telling Tua to hang it up. One (I think Cowher) pointed out to Tua that "You are the quarterback of your family". Really, really hope this guy listens to reason. No one wants to see a guy get killed out there. 

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying, but it's just not a simple decision in practice. The reality is that Tua has tens of millions of reasons to keep playing and he's a competitor who defines himself as a football player. It's not easy to ask a 26 year old to give up his (very lucrative and high profile) profession and my sense is that he's going to push to play. 

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying, but it's just not a simple decision in practice. The reality is that Tua has tens of millions of reasons to keep playing and he's a competitor who defines himself as a football player. It's not easy to ask a 26 year old to give up his (very lucrative and high profile) profession and my sense is that he's going to push to play. 

I'm also a competitor, but I primarily define myself as "alive".

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'm also a competitor, but I primarily define myself as "alive".

Tua might not fall into this category, but many/most NFL players are here for a good time, not for a long time.  Living a long time isn't a priority.  Kinda has to be the case since we have enough data to prove NFL players lop off ~ 20 years on their lives by playing the game. 

The fact that we know this and still have football players means these guys aren't too concerned about death, at least not while they're still young and playing.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tua might not fall into this category, but many/most NFL players are here for a good time, not for a long time.  Living a long time isn't a priority.  Kinda has to be the case since we have enough data to prove NFL players lop off ~ 20 years on their lives by playing the game. 

The fact that we know this and still have football players means these guys aren't too concerned about death, at least not while they're still young and playing.

And football players are not alone. What about boxers? UFC fighters? Imagine if the media were calling for one of them to retire every time they got their bell rung? 

I find the sanctimonious “Tua must retire for our humanity” stuff a little hard to take. Most of these people are going to turn around and watch a 58 year old Mike Tyson fight Jake Paul in a few months. Lol.

It’s entertainment and these guys are (extremely well paid) mercenaries. It’s THEIR decision whether they wish to risk their longterm health for money, fame, and glory. NOT OURS. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

It doesn’t sound like he is retiring the way they are talking down here. I don’t see how an organization can put him back on the field, then again it is the Dolphins. It is an interesting dynamic as some fans are saying they won’t watch if they let TUA back on the field. Same fans are also wanted to sign Z Wilson before they signed Huntley, seems like some Dolphin fans are concussed.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

And football players are not alone. What about boxers? UFC fighters? Imagine if the media were calling for one of them to retire every time they got their bell rung? 

I find the sanctimonious “Tua must retire for our humanity” stuff a little hard to take. Most of these people are going to turn around and watch a 58 year old Mike Tyson fight Jake Paul in a few months. Lol.

It’s entertainment and these guys are (extremely well paid) mercenaries. It’s THEIR decision whether they wish to risk their longterm health for money, fame, and glory. NOT OURS. 

I'm with all of this but would take out "sanctimonious". There are a lot of truly well meaning people who are calling for Tua to do the right thing for his long term health and for his family's future. The only problem is that it's not their lives or their decision to make.

Putting myself if Tua's shoes, I can't imagine giving up the game I love and that I've done my whole life and that's defined me and given me everything I have - in the prime of my career with $100m's left on the table just cuz I got my bell rung a few times. 

As a husband and father of two who isn't defined by playing football, I can't imagine ever putting myself in a situation where I'd cost my kids their healthy father or my wife a healthy husband, even if $100m's were on the table. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

image.png.b03bbc95343c11bf4debe9a3be728c9a.png

lol.  But on the aggregate, Bills Mafia has big hearts:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-mafia-floods-tua-tagovailoas-foundation-with-over-1000-donations/ar-AA1qA1C1?ocid=BingNewsBrowse

Bills Mafia floods Tua Tagovailoa's foundation with over 1,000 donations

In light of the scary injury, the Tua Foundation has seen over 1,000 donations come in with a large number of donations coming from the Buffalo area. Bills fans are notorious for such class. After Andy Dalton and the Bengals beat the Baltimore Ravens to help the Bills end their playoff drought, donations flooded into the Andy and Jordan Dalton foundation to the tune of $415,000.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm with all of this but would take out "sanctimonious". There are a lot of truly well meaning people who are calling for Tua to do the right thing for his long term health and for his family's future. The only problem is that it's not their lives or their decision to make.

Putting myself if Tua's shoes, I can't imagine giving up the game I love and that I've done my whole life and that's defined me and given me everything I have - in the prime of my career with $100m's left on the table just cuz I got my bell rung a few times. 

As a husband and father of two who isn't defined by playing football, I can't imagine ever putting myself in a situation where I'd cost my kids their healthy father or my wife a healthy husband, even if $100m's were on the table. 

Agreed 

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-mafia-floods-tua-tagovailoas-foundation-with-over-1000-donations/ar-AA1qA1C1?ocid=BingNewsBrowse

In light of the scary injury, the Tua Foundation has seen over 1,000 donations come in with a large number of donations coming from the Buffalo area. Bills fans are notorious for such class. After Andy Dalton and the Bengals beat the Baltimore Ravens to help the Bills end their playoff drought, donations flooded into the Andy and Jordan Dalton foundation to the tune of $415,000.

Bless their hearts. Such a beautiful story.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

After making their donations, Buffalo fans then promptly dove head first off a pickup truck into a table

• Haha 2