The Jets barely held a training camp and skipped preseason- should we be surprised the season is a disaster?

Matt39

Just now, BreeceHallofFame said:

You think 4 series in the pre season would make a difference week 7?

every player, including those coming from other teams, said this was one of the toughest camps they’ve had 

It’s not about my coaching enough, it’s about coaching poorly 

Who’s saying 4 series? At least have a real practice. The reps thing was nonsense considering how many guys were held out. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s saying 4 series? At least have a real practice. The reps thing was nonsense considering how many guys were held out. 

A whole game in pre season makes a difference week 7?

again essentially every player including guys like rodgers said this was an old school tough has hell camp.

Stop inventing fantasies to fit a narrative 

• Upvote 1

I think it's an everyday tone / mentality / practice problem.

The Jets are more preoccupied with their social media hit rate and 1JD puff pieces than on the real work of preparing their players to go out and perform.

They have that cam setup everyday as the players are walking out onto the practice field to ask them some random question.

If you're winning who cares, but it just seems like a non-serious, non-competitive type of atmosphere compared to the flagship programs of the league like the Chiefs, Steelers, etc.

Saleh seemed way too concerned about his guys "having fun" which is nice and all but you also have to remember this is a business, and these guys are supposed to be professionals getting paid to do a job.

At the end of the day, playing pro football is a job, not some kind of opportunity for Saleh-styled personal growth on some kind of journey of going from a "survivor" to a "commander".

• Upvote 2

Just now, BreeceHallofFame said:

Do you think not playing a pre season game in August has implications into November?

Yes, because the season is already dead. And the giving a **** from the team is just about done bc of their performance/record in September/October. The season is over - guys will start phoning it in even more now. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Valid points Matt but for me poor coaching and overvalued player’s especially on defense is what we are seeing

offense I think will gel as there are signs but needs to happen now

The offense will likely figure it out, it’s just too late. The defense is dreadful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

A whole game in pre season makes a difference week 7?

again essentially every player including guys like rodgers said this was an old school tough has hell camp.

Stop inventing fantasies to fit a narrative 

Nah. I followed camp. Countless “light” days per the beat team. Veterans rest days. No one played a down in preseason. @Gaffneycatch81 had the actual log of Rodgers practices and it was very low. The Jets were giving guys 3 -4 day weekends when you factor in none of them dressed for the  games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Nah. I followed camp. Countless “light” days per the beat team. Veterans rest days. No one played a down in preseason. @Gaffneycatch81 had the actual log of Rodgers practices and it was very low. The Jets were giving guys 3 -4 day weekends when you factor in none of them dressed for the  games.

It might help if Tyron Smith practiced once in a while?

Just saying.  What's the point of resting him to keep him healthy if it's only for him to keep whiffing out there because he's not ready to play?

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

You think 4 series in the pre season would make a difference week 7?

every player, including those coming from other teams, said this was one of the toughest camps they’ve had 

It’s not about not coaching enough, it’s about coaching poorly 

LOL the bar is probably relatively low there

Bruce Lee used to say:

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Reps matter.  Guys have to be committed to what they're doing.

At the end of the day, for whatever reason, the Jets aren't doing the most basic things well enough.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think it's an everyday tone / mentality / practice problem.

The Jets are more preoccupied with their social media hit rate and 1JD puff pieces than on the real work of preparing their players to go out and perform.

They have that cam setup everyday as the players are walking out onto the practice field to ask them some random question.

If you're winning who cares, but it just seems like a non-serious, non-competitive type of atmosphere compared to the flagship programs of the league like the Chiefs, Steelers, etc.

Saleh seemed way too concerned about his guys "having fun" which is nice and all but you also have to remember this is a business, and these guys are supposed to be professionals getting paid to do a job.

At the end of the day, playing pro football is a job, not some kind of opportunity for Saleh-styled personal growth on some kind of journey of going from a "survivor" to a "commander".

Also i think the players bought into the hype about the team’s media perception and thought that against teams like denver they could just show up and win.  When they got smashed by denver and then minny they lost confidence and it shows

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Practice, preseason reps. Yes of course. It’s football. Practice is more important than anything. Saleh felt it wasn’t necessary.

This is bull****, and it’s been pointed out to you before. Many players referred to this year’s camp as the most grueling they’d gone thru as a pro. I get that this is your shtick, but that’s all it is. It’s not based in reality. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

This would be something to get riled up about if the majority of NFL teams didn't also 1) conduct approximately 90 minute training camp practices and 2) not play their starters in the preseason.

Except of course, Rodgers had never played with these guys before and the entire offense was basically brand new. 

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs approach from his first year was eye brow raising, but headed into a must win season- essentially skipping camp and preseason all together was never not going to be a disaster over at least the first two months.

Practices ranged from 90-100 minutes

there were veterans rest days all over 

Rodgers had no more than 12-15 total practices and missed one of the scrimmages because it was raining. He hadn’t played a live snap since September 2023

Tyron Smith barely practiced

No starters played a down in preseason games

Guys who are clearly out of shape 

limited contact in padded practices

I think the offense eventually clicks and the Jets put some points on the board and remain competitive, but they’re catching up from essentially not having an offseason. But the overall approach from Saleh was almost intentional sabotage. You can’t cut corners with football. The Ravens are playing a different sport because they have a serious coach. 

Where do you get this narrative... Because everything reported and was said by players is the exact opposite of this

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Except of course, Rodgers had never played with these guys before and the entire offense was basically brand new. 

Except for the entire offseason he practiced with them last year, and except for the fact that the offense was going to be the same one that Hackett and Rodgers have run for years (including during last year's offseason) and was therefore *not* "brand new"?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This would be something to get riled up about if the majority of NFL teams didn't also 1) conduct approximately 90 minute training camp practices and 2) not play their starters in the preseason.

I saw every preseason Game and only a few Teams had „no reps“ in preseason . Nearly every team hat at least one drive

1 minute ago, TheAustrian said:

I saw every preseason Game and only a few Teams had „no reps“ in preseason . Nearly every team hat at least one drive

Like a third of NFL starting QB's didn't even dress for a single preseason game.  And do you really think that 1 drive of a preseason game makes a meaningful difference for the rest of the starters?  I suppose reasonable minds could differ, but I don't.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The kicker didn’t even kick during the preseason games. How’s that working out. If you’re going to play the backup kicker then at least give him the job. 

Zuerlein kicked at least 1 or 2 from what I recall but he looked shaky.

Seibert got a lot of work.

It's as if the Jets did the rest of the league a favor by showcasing Seibert and then cutting him.

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Like a third of NFL starting QB's didn't even dress for a single preseason game.  And do you really think that 1 drive of a preseason game makes a meaningful difference for the rest of the starters?  I suppose reasonable minds could differ, but I don't.  

For Mahomes, it probably doesn't matter at all.  Yet he played at least 1 drive in most preseason games.

But you think Bryce Young benefited from taking zero preseason snaps?

He's a 2nd year QB in a brand new offense with new WRs and a new coaching staff.

If anything, it should at least help to get the gameday mechanics down:  receiving the call in your headset, huddling up, spitting the play out and getting guys lined up properly, training the cadence, etc.

1 drive in preseason isn't going to make your season obviously.

But yeah, practicing together at something you're actually going to have to do when it matters tends to help.  That's how you get better at anything.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Zuerlein kicked at least 1 or 2 from what I recall but he looked shaky.

Seibert got a lot of work.

It's as if the Jets did the rest of the league a favor by showcasing Seibert and then cutting him.

The rationale for not playing the kicker was what exactly 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

For Mahomes, it probably doesn't matter at all.  Yet he played at least 1 drive in most preseason games.

But you think Bryce Young benefited from taking zero preseason snaps?

He's a 2nd year QB in a brand new offense with new WRs and a new coaching staff.

If anything, it should at least help to get the gameday mechanics down:  receiving the call in your headset, huddling up, spitting the play out and getting guys lined up properly, training the cadence, etc.

Rodgers schedule in from August 5th - 18th

Aug 7 — No practice because day before joint practice with Commanders

Aug 8 — Joint practice with Commanders, Rogers sits out

Aug 9 — No practice because day after joint practice, day before preseason game 1 (maybe there’s a walk through for the guys who will be playing? It was not reported on anywhere I could find)

Aug 10 — Preseseason game 1 — Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 11 — Off day after preseason game 1

Aug 12 — Regular practice

Aug 13 — Regular practice

Aug 14 — No practice because traveling to Carolina

Aug 15 — Joint practice with Panthers

Aug 16 — No practice because day before preseason game 2 … again, maybe there’s a walk through for those who will play?

Aug 17 — Preseason game 2, Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 18 — Off day because day after preseason game 2

All in season