SI.com's QB Controversies of 2006 - Guess Who Is #1?

It is a controversy, but not a huge one.

Chad knows that his deal is he has to prove he is the starting QB.

Patrick knows that Chad has to prove it and that he has every chance of beating out Chad to become the starter.

Kellen knows he has a shot at starting this year if those two suck or get hurt and is probably the guy of the future.

Brooks knows he is gone and is packing his bags.

BZ

SI is making a big assumption that pennington will be able to throw by then. i think a more likely controversy is b/w clemmons and ramsey as soon as ramsey loses a few games with his decision making and propensity to throw int's in the red zone.

Sorry, sir.

In PSIKH's mind, what record must a team have for a QB controversy?

What is the controversey?

Your QB has not done $hit for four years because of (insert excuse here). They bring in a QB that was largely unfulfilled potential in Washington.

The controversey will be why did the team go into the year with such shoddy QBing. IF the Jets rebound like Jets fans think, do you want your Superbowl hopes relying on a QB that has a twice injured throwing shoulder, a never was or a rookie QB.

Your QB has not done $hit for four years because of (insert excuse here). They bring in a QB that was largely unfulfilled potential in Washington.

The controversey will be why did the team go into the year with such shoddy QBing. IF the Jets rebound like Jets fans think, do you want your Superbowl hopes relying on a QB that has a twice injured throwing shoulder, a never was or a rookie QB.

First, for you to say that Chad hasn't done *&$# for 4 years is a pretty ignorant statement unto itself.

Second, are you advocating the Jets should have brought in a re-tread, or traded for one, just for the sake of feeling warm and fuzzy, all teh while spending big bucks on garbage?

i would rather have a staff that feels they can make something out of what they have, and what they scouted, rather feel all warm inside because they have gone down the road travelled many teams.

I don't know why some fans want to consider players competing for a position, a "controversy".

That is FOOTBALL

I agree. It's not a controversy until there is disagreement over who deserves to start.

Main Entry: con·tro·ver·sy

Pronunciation: 'kän-tr&-"v&r-sE British also k&n-'trä-v&r-sE

Function: noun

1 : a state of dispute or disagreement

Change the 4 to 3, and that is a very accurate statement.

TX-In 2004, he got his team to the playoffs, and guided them to a win in the playoffs.

Coming from a Patriot fan, I can understand the statemnt that "it is not much".

For the balance of the league, it is a pretty good achievement. Not the greatest, I understand. But better than most.

Some people want to conveniently forget that. And I also know that has no bearing on the future

TX-In 2004, he got his team to the playoffs, and guided them to a win in the playoffs.

Come on Scotty, you are better than that.

PennyBoy led the Jets to a 1-3 (where he stunk up the joint against the Steelers and Pats) record down the stretch and they backed into the playoffs.

And that "playoff win" was only a result of a rookie kicker missing a chipshot, game winning FG.

And then against the Steelers, PennyBoyWonder "led" the Jets offense to a whopping 3 points in 5 quarters of football.

If that is how you want your QB to perform, so be it.

First, for you to say that Chad hasn't done *&$# for 4 years is a pretty ignorant statement unto itself.

Second, are you advocating the Jets should have brought in a re-tread, or traded for one, just for the sake of feeling warm and fuzzy, all teh while spending big bucks on garbage?

i would rather have a staff that feels they can make something out of what they have, and what they scouted, rather feel all warm inside because they have gone down the road travelled many teams.

Ok, since 2002 what has Chad done?

Besides getting progressively worse? Fooled the Jets' FO in signing him to a 60 million contract?

Despite throwing less and less passes every year, his INT % has gone higher and higher.

What has he done?

I am guessing the Jets want to give Chad another chance. In case he does not workout, they draft a QB of the future just in case. No problems there. WHy not go for Kitna, a QB that has at least done something in the NFL. Instead, they go for Ramsey. A never was. What is Chad that soft he cannot handle competition? That is right, it took him two year to unseat a crappy VT and he only got the job after it was handed to him.

If the Jets had a do-over, think Chad gets selected again? No way.

Besides getting progressively worse? Fooled the Jets' FO in signing him to a 60 million contract?

Despite throwing less and less passes every year, his INT % has gone higher and higher.

What has he done?

I am guessing the Jets want to give Chad another chance. In case he does not workout, they draft a QB of the future just in case. No problems there. WHy not go for Kitna, a QB that has at least done something in the NFL. Instead, they go for Ramsey. A never was. What is Chad that soft he cannot handle competition? That is right, it took him two year to unseat a crappy VT and he only got the job after it was handed to him.

chad didn't have to fool anyone, bradway offered me a $75,000 contract to drink beer in section 133 and keep an eye on the clock for herm last year. dick curl beat me out for the roster spot but i still got to keep my signing bonus.

Come on Scotty, you are better than that.

PennyBoy led the Jets to a 1-3 (where he stunk up the joint against the Steelers and Pats) record down the stretch and they backed into the playoffs.

And that "playoff win" was only a result of a rookie kicker missing a chipshot, game winning FG.

And then against the Steelers, PennyBoyWonder "led" the Jets offense to a whopping 3 points in 5 quarters of football.

If that is how you want your QB to perform, so be it.

Ok TX, if the game you want to play is to judge playoff wins by artistic merit, getting "lucky" and having things break your way, we can play that game.

i didn't realize you were one of those guys that judged games by "artistic merit", but we can do that.

Want me to go first in the game of "Let's poke holes in playoff wins"?

Instead, they go for Ramsey. A never was. What is Chad that soft he cannot handle competition? That is right, it took him two year to unseat a crappy VT and he only got the job after it was handed to him.

Sorry. But you are wrong on Ramsey. He is still an unknown. First he plays for a HC (Spurrier) who is rough on Q/Bs, and has an offense that is very difficult to master. Then the new (old) HC comes in and immediately decides he needs a lefty version of Doug Williams, even though that version is hurt, coming off seasons of injuries, et al. Ramsey had what, a 1 game tryout?

This change of scenary will help him. Look at what Schott. did with Brees. Got him a $60 million contract, and this is after a serious injry to his throwing arm!!:eek:

What has he done?

Guiding a team to a playoff victory is doing more than 2/3 of the qb's in the league.

If you want to downplay that significance, so be it

My point was simple-If you are only going to base your qb on who can throw the farthest, you are not looking for a qb as so much you are looking to clean up in challenges.

If that's the case Vinny could play till he's 60+:eek:

Four years? You're not that stupid or pompous Pfsikh.

Since Pennington reached the same round of the playoffs twice as NE did last year then Brady ALSO did $hit last year because(insert excuse here).

Ok TX, if the game you want to play is to judge playoff wins by artistic merit, getting "lucky" and having things break your way, we can play that game.

i didn't realize you were one of those guys that judged games by "artistic merit", but we can do that.

Want me to go first in the game of "Let's poke holes in playoff wins"?

TX suffers from 15,000 posts worth of Pennington OCD.

He will count the Pitt game but not the San Diego win when discussing Pennington.

He will count the Pitt game but not the San Diego win when discussing Pennington.

I did discuss the San Diego game.

In case you missed it, the Jets won that game because a rookie kicker choked on a chipshot, game winning FG.

The Jets did not win because of PennyBoy's great game.

Pennington was often effective when healthy. But that's now a very big "if".Remains to be seen if he can ever do it again. For as gung ho as he is, he doesn't know if he can do it.

Ramsey was effective in spots, but by no means great. Does seem that for some reason Gibbs hated him. Cannot recall Gibbs trusting any QB except Theismann. He won 3 titles with mostly the same squad except for the QB-Thiessmann, Rypien and Williams. Bit I also wonder if Gibbs has been hanging around for the paycheck and to set up his kids in business for life.

It should be a competition and we'll see if one of these guys can take the job in camp and the preseason. If not, the Jets probably muddle through 13 or 14 games until Clemens finishes a few learning experience/ring o'fire December games and takes the reins firmly in 2007.

If one of these guys does do the job and Clemens is deemd ready on 2007, that will be a real controversy. We can hope.

Archived