article: pennington as starter....

gg

didnt see it posted

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1154498765267140.xml&coll=1

Jets: To go with Pennington as starter

Organization impressed with his progress, sharpness in camp

Wednesday, August 02, 2006BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Chad Pennington has won the Jets' starting quarterback job, according to a team official with knowledge of the team's plans.

The official, who requested anonymity because coach Eric Mangini isn't ready to make a formal announcement, said the competition at quarterback is over.

spacer.gifspacer.gif [url=http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/star_ledger/sp/spj/@StoryAd?x] Pennington, the official said, has surprised the organization with his arm strength and accuracy, easily outdistancing himself from Patrick Ramsey.

"We're surprised at the progress he's made," the official said. "No one expected him to be this far along this early."

Ramsey, obtained in a trade from the Redskins this off-season to be Pennington's main rival, has been plagued by inconsistency -- something that derailed his career in Washington. He has had good days and bad, earning the wrath of the coaches one moment and their praise the next. This does not sit well with Mangini.

Rookie Kellen Clemens has struggled in drills and clearly is not ready. The Jets, however, expected that and are still confident in his future.

Brooks Bollinger is where he was last year -- an insurance policy in case Pennington or Ramsey gets hurt. Barring that, Bollinger may be released or traded before the end of camp.

Mangini and all of the players involved could not be reached for comment because the information was learned after the team's media availability for the day.

Pennington, after a shaky opening practice in which he threw interceptions on two of his first three passes in 11-on-11 drills, has made steady progress. He has strung together five solid practices, including a stellar performance in yesterday's afternoon session that stunned many in the organization.

Pennington, who has gone through eight practices, continues to show touch, distance and increased velocity on his throws and is skipping fewer and fewer drills. He still doesn't have a 90-mph fastball but that has never stopped him from getting the job done when he's healthy.

The organization does not have any concerns about his ability to throw, but is still concerned about his ability to stay healthy for an entire 16-game schedule.

Pennington is confident -- and glad to be back on the field.

"I feel good," he said after the afternoon session. "I'm glad to be participating every day and not having to sit out practices. That's a lot of joy for me.

"It gives me a lot of pride to know I've done the right thing in the off-season to keep going. I'm just going to stay with the plan they have for me, keep working hard and keep enjoying it."

Pennington, who was careful to temper his excitement, is exuding more and more confidence through his body language and the way he's running the team. He appears to be finding a rhythm despite the four-man rotation.

"I feel like every day we're working really hard to get in that rhythm and really figure out what (offensive) coach (Brian) Schottenheimer wants from us, what coach Mangini wants from us, the tempo they want us to play at," Pennington said. "We're making progress every day but we still have a long way to go."

Any Pats fan would be ecstatic with that news.

PennyBoy's track record against the Pats (and any other good teams) is pretty damn pathetic.

Chalk up two more easy wins for the Pats this season against the Jets.

BTW, this move easily set the Jets back another 3 years with their rebuilding process.

It's not like PennyBoyWonder is the franchise QB of the future who will lead the Jets to the Promised Land.;)

PennyBoy's track record against the Pats (and any other good teams) is pretty damn pathetic.

BTW, this move easily set the Jets back another 3 years with their rebuilding process.

It's not like PennyBoyWonder is the franchise QB of the future who will lead the Jets to the Promised Land.;)

Just curious...what is Pennington's record when playing for a head coach with a brain?

Lets see him take some good hits in preseason before we annoint anything

Rumor has it that the NFL rules committee will allow PennyBoy to wear his red jersey for all games this season.

The only way now he can get injured is if he trips over a blade of grass.

Vegas just released that the blade of grass is a 14:2 favorite.

Rumor has it that the NFL rules committee will allow PennyBoy to wear his red jersey for all games this season.

The only way now he can get injured is if he trips over a blade of grass.

Vegas just released that the blade of grass is a 14:2 favorite.

This is the definition of a reach. There are plenty of Pats fans here. Every once in awhile you should think pass.

So if the article is true I guess unless he has a setback, your prediction of him being cut or placed on IR is now out the window.

Eric passes Chad praise

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets have completed two cycles in their four-man quarterback rotation, and the early leader for the starting job is...the guy with the twice-repaired throwing shoulder.

Chad Pennington has looked the sharpest of the group and he has received the most praise from coach Eric Mangini, who has been "really happy" with Pennington's progress.

"He has strung together some good practices," Mangini said yesterday.

Mangini stopped short of declaring a front-runner, claiming each of the four still is inconsistent at times. Rookie Kellen Clemens, taking his turn with the starters in last night's practice, enjoyed perhaps his best day, but he's still considered a longshot. It still looks like Pennington or Patrick Ramsey.

So if the article is true I guess unless he has a setback, your prediction of him being cut or placed on IR is now out the window.

I guess so.

Unless Mangini is just using PennyBoy as a sacrificial lamb in order to get Clemens into the starting line up.;)

I guess so.

Unless Mangini is just using PennyBoy as a sacrificial lamb in order to get Clemens into the starting line up.;)

Possible that's how it plays out. They also get it out of Ramsey's mind that he's a starting QB so he won't have any negotiation holdout next year, since we just extended him for barely $1M.

At this point, the quicker they name a starter, the better off the offense will be as far as cohesiveness. Just make sure the number 2 guy is ready to step in without missing too much of a beat.

Ramsey signed an extention, Clemens was drafted for the future and Bollinger...well, you fill in the blank.:eek:

Well, I for one am a little nervous. I have always loved Chad's work ethic and desire to compete, I just don't know how he is going to handle being hit. I really like tx's idea about the red jersey though. We definately need to get that passed by the rules committee. As far as the other QB's I still think we will keep four, at least until the third or fourth game into the season. I'm not sure what the rules are about sending guys to the practice squad. But I sure would have a QB handy. I don't want to see Vinny back with his walker.

Why are we f*cked?

Ramsey as predicted sucks despite the claims made by some that he got a raw deal in Washington.

Clemens will need some time like many rookies to adjust to the Pro game.

A healthy Chad is our best option for this group.

You're f*cked because a qb that had a weak arm to begin with and has now had two major shoulder surgeries is your best option.

You're f*cked because a qb that had a weak arm to begin with and has now had two major shoulder surgeries is your best option.

By weak arm do you mean consensus first round pick kind of arm? I don't remember Moss complaining about his arm in college.

Also with the new shark cartilage advances, Chad's arm will actually be stronger this year.

By weak arm do you mean consensus first round pick kind of arm? I don't remember Moss complaining about his arm in college.

Also with the new shark cartilage advances, Chad's arm will actually be stronger this year.

Moss didn't complain because he was Chad's go to guy. Christ, I could have thrown the floaters that he did back in the Marshall days when Moss had 10 yds. on every db he faced.

Why are we ****ed when no one expects the jets to do anything this year anyway. If Chad is starting next year, then you have a point. Besides Clemons will get some playing time when Chad goes down anyway.

Why are we f*cked?

Ramsey as predicted sucks despite the claims made by some that he got a raw deal in Washington.

Clemens will need some time like many rookies to adjust to the Pro game.

A healthy Chad is our best option for this group.

Pennington is the only reason the Jets have a chance for a competitive 5 or 6 win season. Ramsey stinks and Clemens has shown nothing, but that won't prevent Merril Hoge, Sean Salisbury and the Jennifer Jets from licking Clemens lemons all season.

Don't you see Max, the Pat's crew is scared to death of a healthly CP, the last thing they want to see is that dude under center,he gave them alot of problems when in there..I'm telling you there a little shook about CP being healthy..

:cheers:

Don't you see Max, the Pat's crew is scared to death of a healthly CP, the last thing they want to see is that dude under center,he gave them alot of problems when in there..I'm telling you there a little shook about CP being healthy..

:cheers:

You're new so I'm having a hard time telling if you're serious or being sarcastic. I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic.

and when he beats the Pats twice this year Tex will be like Inspector Dreyfus of the Pink Panther movies-eye twitching uncontrolled laughing fits...

Pennington can't even beat his own meat anymore let alone a top notch NFL team.

Pennington can't even beat his own meat anymore let alone a top notch NFL team.

I guess we'll have to see about that-oh wait, are you implying the Patriots are a top notch team? HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I thought you meant teams like the Steelers Pats are a .500 team at best this year

Don't you see Max, the Pat's crew is scared to death of a healthly CP, the last thing they want to see is that dude under center,he gave them alot of problems when in there.

The last time a "healthy" PennyBoy faced the Pats, he tossed 5 INT's (should have been 7) and had the deer-in-the-headlights look the entire night.

This is no surprise to me if it's true. The organization has $64 million invested in Chad and they want to give him one last chance and also when healthy he is our best option over an inconcisent Ramsey (whom yes I still do like, don't even start) and a rookie in Clemens who should sit the sidelines for a year or two.

Good for him.

He is our best chance at QB this year to win some games. Glad he is back and nobody will cheer louder than I when he takes the field (and wins) against the Pats! :)

BZ

Um, there's a good chance you'll be able to hear me in section 334. ;)

GO CHAD!:yahoo:

If this is true, then I have a few comments:

1. The Competition CLEARLY was not as "open" as Mangini wanted us to believe. Naming a starter, specificly a starter coming back off two horrible arm injuries, before he's taken a single hit "in anger" or thrown a single pass in pre-season proves the Job was Penningtons to lose, and to his credit, he didn't lose it.

2. Patrick Ramsey, if this report can be believed, clearly did not address the issues that plagued him in DC. Consistency and Confidence and Footwork and Accuracy. Eh, is what it is, I'll still wear his Jersey, cause it cost me $100, lol. I hope he figures out how to play well one day, hopefully for us, but he has no one to blame but himself. Don't hate on him too bad, we may still see him on the field this year.

3. I wish Chad Pennington the best of luck, and I will root my ass off for his, as promised and as always. But I won't lie....I have zero faith he is going to stay healthy, and zero faith that he is going to play well under game-time pressure. I've been wrong before (clearly, in this case) and all I can do is hope my pessimism is wrong again.

4. Based on my reading of the article, it looks like the depth chart is Chad #1, Ramsey #2, Bollinger #3, Clemens #4, unless Bolly gets cut. So we may yet see Ramsey in game time, sadly.

5. Clearly the regime is not as media silent as we would like to believe either. You would never get this kind of major leak in the Bellichek or Parcells Camps, unless they wanted it known. So either Mangini wants it known, or else they aren't as closed as we thought. Could be either one, I don't know.

Warfish, I don't think the competition is over, but it is just looking clearer and clearer that Chad has the best skills.

My guess is Mangini is going to go nuts about this article and going to kick someones ass for the leak.

I guess Herm wasn't the only one who couldn't plug the leaks eh?

BZ

What is happening at TC makes no sense whatsoever if Ramsey is the #2. For 3 practices in a row, he's been odd man out in the 3 QB rotation drill. He's had about 4 snaps in the 11 on 11's in the last three sessions, while the other three have taken the rest, split almost evenly. That is over 3 hours of 11 on 11's, and Ramsey has only taken about 4 snaps. Doesn't look like a rotation to me.

Pennington's deep passes have actually been more consistant than his short and intermediate stuff. He still throws those ducks once in a while. The big question is can he take a hit?

Archived