Bollinger, winning 'em over left & right

Fred Jetstone

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/q..._cannizzaro.htm

QUARTER-BACKUPS

JETS' COMPETITION A REAL FLIP OF COIN

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 23, 2006 -- All right. We know Chad Pennington is the Jets' starting quarterback. The competition for that job is over.

Sure, Eric Mangini has not confirmed it yet, but Mangini won't confirm that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, either, so we'll go by what we've seen, which is a complete dominance of the competition in practice and in games played by Pennington.

Now the quarterback question with the Jets is this: Who's going to back up Pennington?

That, based on the fact Pennington is seeking to complete his first 16-game season without injury in four years of play, makes the backup spot a rather critical one for the Jets.

Based on salary and experience, you would think Patrick Ramsey would be the logical answer as Pennington's backup.

The problem there is this: Other than showing he has a pretty strong arm, Ramsey hasn't really distinguished himself in practices or in game play. Despite his 6-of-9 passing for 33 yards against the Redskins on Saturday, Ramsey's performance was nondescript.

He doesn't really seem to provide much, if any, spark to the offense the way Pennington does, the way rookie Kellen Clemens has in his brief outings, or the way Brooks Bollinger has.

Bollinger, who played the bulk of the 2005 season, seemed to move the team with more fire than Ramsey did. In fairness, Ramsey was playing against the Redskins' first-team defense. However, Bollinger was playing with the Jets' second-and third-team players around him.

If Mangini sees enough in Clemens, the coach doesn't appear to be adverse to having a rookie back up his starter.

Asked yesterday if salary (Ramsey was given a one-year contract extension as camp began) would dictate who the backup will be, Mangini said, "It's just going to be the best players who are going to play regardless of salary, what other issues are."

Asked if he's opposed to having a rookie backup QB, Mangini said, "The best player should play. I've seen lot of rookies go in and be very successful. If they give you the best chance to win then they should be in there."

Clemens, a second-round pick, is going to make the team. The only question is whether he's the No. 3 who waits, watches and learns in his first year or whether he's good enough now to be the No. 2.

The most compelling decision Mangini is going to have to make is who stays between Ramsey, for whom the Jets traded a sixth-round draft pick in the offseason, or Bollinger.

Cutting Ramsey would be a rather bold move considering he has the most NFL experience among the three. But if he hasn't played as well as Clemens and Bollinger, then why keep him?

If the Jets play it safe and opt to keep Ramsey, they should try to get something in a trade for Bollinger, who's a commodity of at least some value based on the way he played last season under such duress.

The Colts just lost their backup to injury. Tampa Bay QB coach Paul Hackett (remember him?) is known to like Bollinger.

For Bollinger, he said after Saturday's game he wants to remain in New York "to help make this team better," but he knows the final decision is not in his control.

Asked if he felt he made a positive impression against the Redskins, at one point leading the team on a 24-play drive that took nearly 12 minutes, "That's for the people evaluating me to decide."

Asked if it's stressful not knowing his role or whether he'll even have a job, Bollinger said, "That's the way it is in this league, you always have 15 people evaluating everything you do every day. If you get caught up in that (competition), you're handicapping yourself and making it difficult on yourself.

"You can't control that. I'm happy to be a Jet right now. I'm doing everything I can to make this team better and hopefully it works out."

Clemens, who's married, seems to have a pretty level head about things. He's conducted himself in a manner which seems mature beyond his years.

"I've got a lot of things to learn: Trying to understand the rules of the league, the way you play in the NFL, the way you conduct yourself as a professional football player, learning the offense, getting to know the guys," he said. "As far as the competition, that'll all take care of itself."

August 23, 2006 -- All right. We know Chad Pennington is the Jets' starting quarterback. The competition for that job is over.

Damn, the fat man must have some real good sources. I didn't think the Jets had decided on a starter as of yet.

I think we keep Bolly and cut Ramsey, its that simple. These next two weeks will decide who gets the no. 2 spot between Bolly and Clemens, let the next two weeks speak for themselves before we start speculating...I personally cant wait to see these next two games to see where they're at as qb's.

Bolly may not have the skill to be a starter but he has a lot of heart. A lot of QB's would have just gone through the motions in a season like last but he was still out there trying as hard as he could to win. I respect him for that, he didn't give up on the jets and as a fan I apreciate that. So if you ask me to pick between him and Ramsey I'd pick Bolly. However if we side with the prototype QB as 2 or 3 then I hope we trade Bolly to a team that needs him, and will use him well as (insert joke here).

I'd come up with something but...I just can't think of anything more creative than waterboy.

Bolly may not have the skill to be a starter but he has a lot of heart. A lot of QB's would have just gone through the motions in a season like last but he was still out there trying as hard as he could to win. I respect him for that, he didn't give up on the jets and as a fan I apreciate that. So if you ask me to pick between him and Ramsey I'd pick Bolly. However if we side with the prototype QB as 2 or 3 then I hope we trade Bolly to a team that needs him, and will use him well as (insert joke here).

I'd come up with something but...I just can't think of anything more creative than waterboy.

I like Bollywood as a backup. Cannizaro is a POS, but he's right. The guy has earned a roster spot.

I like Bollywood as a backup. Cannizaro is a POS, but he's right. The guy has earned a roster spot.

call me crazy, but I think Bollinger could be the next flutie. (No that this would be someone's goal coming into the NFL) All I mean is, he is a very servicable backup, and i would hope he is the #2 this season.

I think we keep Bolly and cut Ramsey, its that simple. These next two weeks will decide who gets the no. 2 spot between Bolly and Clemens, let the next two weeks speak for themselves before we start speculating...I personally cant wait to see these next two games to see where they're at as qb's.

clemmins should be the starter, and we should lop off the worst of the 4 guys, the egg.

Bollinger couldn't win over a brother of whores with Bill Gates' checkbook and a **** the size of a bull.

checkbook chad, the egg at qb, has more than enough money for not playing.

yet, john abe gets traded. amazing how many of the chad cult are still drinking the leftover 2002 kool-aid.

he also said the egg was the starter. he didn't say he was the best qualified in terms of results. unless you get credit for sacks, fumbles, and picks......

congratulations, you just spent 3 straight posts on the exact same topic--how horrible pennington is. Even tx would be proud.

Fatizzaro had written Bolly off, and now even he's saying that, talent-wise, if talent and on-field production have anything to do with it, Bolly ain't goin' anywhere any time soon (except to a coveted roster spot, that is)

That was the point of the thread.

Even the haters are waking up and smelling the coffee.

You should too! You know who you are!

Damn, the fat man must have some real good sources. I didn't think the Jets had decided on a starter as of yet.

Don't call him fat, you will get banned.

Anybody that's not Sooth's buffet buddy is fair game, though.

congratulations, you just spent 3 straight posts on the exact same topic--how horrible pennington is. Even tx would be proud.

He makes the exact same posts at TGG too, over 6,000 worth. Count your blessings he hasn't been here long.

checkbook chad, the egg at qb, has more than enough money for not playing.

yet, john abe gets traded. amazing how many of the chad cult are still drinking the leftover 2002 kool-aid.

chad at least plays in the playoffs. I don't even like the guy, but he's more producitive than your boy Abe when it counts.

• 2 weeks later...
Fatizzaro had written Bolly off, and now even he's saying that, talent-wise, if talent and on-field production have anything to do with it, Bolly ain't goin' anywhere any time soon (except to a coveted roster spot, that is)

That was the point of the thread.

Even the haters are waking up and smelling the coffee.

You should too! You know who you are!

oh boy, u were wrong again :cool:

Archived