Erics Jets vs Herms Jets,, This says it best

SouthernJet

From todays papers:

Likewise, Mangini's style can be grating. His practices are long, often in full pads. He has created a palpable tension at the Jets' training facility, with players often kept in the dark about their status.

If a player makes a mistake in practice or a game, he likely will be called out the next day in a team film session - on "the big screen," as Laveranues Coles calls it. Players don't like to be embarrassed. That rarely happened under Herm Edwards.

If a player misses a mandatory meal or fails to make his prescribed weight (they must weigh in before and after every practice) or reveals too much information to the media, he's subject to a fine. Coles says he was fined for simply missing a weigh-in.

Under Edwards, overweight players were fined only in extreme cases, according to players.

"I just think it's more brutal than the other years I've been in the league," Coles says. "You have to be on point about everything . . . all the small things you take for granted."

Such as disposing of the weekly game plan. Instead of tossing it in a locker-room garbage pail after each game, as they've done for years, the players are required to use a paper shredder. The shredder is only a couple of feet from where the overgrown Herm Edwards bobblehead doll used to be displayed.

Talk about symbolism. And paranoia.

"It's like the old Soviet Union," a recently departed Jets staffer says of the atmosphere surrounding the team.

Mangini's style is wearing on some players, but it's doubtful they will speak out publicly, for fear of retribution. Ultimately, they will speak with their actions on the field. Mangini has the support of Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum, and his authority is resolute.

"You have no choice," Kendall says. "If you want to continue to make good money, you have to do what the coach says."

Besides, what's wrong with discipline? Under Edwards, the Jets became overweight and complacent, with too many veterans resting on their resumes. Mangini disinfected the locker room, bringing in self-motivated, gym-rat types, foot soldiers that will follow his lead.

"There's a definite weeding-out process," Chatham says.

Ohh, those long crueling 7 to 8 hour days 5 hours on the field if it's a double session) or a 5 to 6 hour day counting meetings..Go out with a roofer or some highway crew people or a landscaper for a half day..I guess grueling and brutal are relative to your situation and pay check

Ohh, those long crueling 7 to 8 hour days 5 hours on the field if it's a double session) or a 5 to 6 hour day counting meetings..Go out with a roofer or some highway crew people or a landscaper for a half day..I guess grueling and brutal are relative to your situation and pay check

remember where some of the complainin Turds are comin from,,

hermbbq0zw.gif

yup they need to put it in perspective and realize that a LOT of us working stiffs have had to endure much worse for pay they make in one week we have had to bust asss for a year for

as much as i have blind faith in mangini he better win more games than herm did last year. for better or worse herm won 4 games with a garbage o-line and a 3rd/4th team QB. so far i like what i have seen from the team. the jets better take a step forward this season and be a contender next year.

as much as i have blind faith in mangini he better win more games than herm did last year. for better or worse herm won 4 games with a garbage o-line and a 3rd/4th team QB. so far i like what i have seen from the team. the jets better take a step forward this season and be a contender next year.

in defense of Eric, ,Herm had a system in place for 5 years,,

Eric has a new system, both off and def,,

so a step back may be in place,, but it will pay dividends down the road as we now have someone who doesnt have a pea for a brain

WAA WAA Club Herm is over. Please... I think most camps more closely resemble Mangini's than Herm's... at least winning ones do.

yeah, i'm sure mangini has decided for strict discipline here cause that lazy & soft method he saw bellichek using just wasn't working.

I hear you guys but remember that these guys work hard too. Its not as simple as some have put it here. Your talking about being at practice at 7am...doing meetings where u are mentally challenged...then hitting the gym...then right to the field for maybe a 2 1/2 hour practice where you are physically and mentally challenged...lunch if you dont need therapy...interviews and media obligations and maybe 2 seconds alone before another 2 1/2 hour practice (if its two a days)...then therapy or additional work or help or just gym time...a 15 min shower (maybe) then meetings again and maybe your home by 8pm to get ready somehow to do it again....Thats not easy and can be taxing on a person mentally and physically knowing that how you perform or not performing can affect your pay or your existance is hard then you have a coach hitting you mentally a little more. I make no excuses for the guys but that is alot. Be macho or say what you want but if he doesn't cool down a little they will melt eventually. I dont think Coles is a Mawae. and Kevin wasn't bad he just spoke his mind. He just has to learn that that can get you in trouble sometimes or put you in a bad light with others. But he won't change himself for anyone...and neither will Coles. But it must be hard if he's complaining. I just hope Mangini knows what he's doing. I don't expect him to go 10-4 with all that has to be done and implemented this year but for all he has done to the media and to those players he better hope they'll play for him and succeed in some way. I will watch and wish them luck abundantly...:)

I hear you guys but remember that these guys work hard too. Its not as simple as some have put it here. Your talking about being at practice at 7am...doing meetings where u are mentally challenged...then hitting the gym...then right to the field for maybe a 2 1/2 hour practice where you are physically and mentally challenged...lunch if you dont need therapy...interviews and media obligations and maybe 2 seconds alone before another 2 1/2 hour practice (if its two a days)...then therapy or additional work or help or just gym time...a 15 min shower (maybe) then meetings again and maybe your home by 8pm to get ready somehow to do it again....Thats not easy and can be taxing on a person mentally and physically knowing that how you perform or not performing can affect your pay or your existance is hard then you have a coach hitting you mentally a little more. I make no excuses for the guys but that is alot. Be macho or say what you want but if he doesn't cool down a little they will melt eventually. I dont think Coles is a Mawae. and Kevin wasn't bad he just spoke his mind. He just has to learn that that can get you in trouble sometimes or put you in a bad light with others. But he won't change himself for anyone...and neither will Coles. But it must be hard if he's complaining. I just hope Mangini knows what he's doing. I don't expect him to go 10-4 with all that has to be done and implemented this year but for all he has done to the media and to those players he better hope they'll play for him and succeed in some way. I will watch and wish them luck abundantly...:)

... and that's why they make what they make. Come on. They're professional athletes. This is part of their game. Suck it up no matter how tough it is.

The only part I question is that Mangini is in his first year and can't instantaneously command the respect that a seasoned head coach can. These players could take offense to the sudden change.

in defense of Eric, ,Herm had a system in place for 5 years,,

Eric has a new system, both off and def,,

so a step back may be in place,, but it will pay dividends down the road as we now have someone who doesnt have a pea for a brain

Eric had a system in place for five years with the Patriots. He turned it into the worst ranked Patriot defense in decades, a defense actually ranked worse than the Kansas City Chiefs who ranked 25th.

Mangini's resume as a defensive coordinator:

26th rank in total defense

31st in pass defense

31st in defensive takeaways

5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL.

He gets rid of anyone who won't be a 'Stepford Wife' and that's how they played in preseason.

And Herman Edwards never had a team that ranked as poorly as the 2005 Patriots defensive unit.

So what qualifies Mangini as a HC... being the best friend of an accountant/lawyer who happened to elbow his way into being a GM in the grand old tradition of "How to Succeed in Busines Without Really Trying".

Unqualifed... as 30 other NFL teams thought since no one ever interviewed Mangini for a HC position.

You'll be throwing tomatoes at him by mid season.

The bar may be closing, but I see Rosie O'Donnel as Rosie O'Donnel while you think your looking at Angelina Jolie.

Bob, you talk as if Mangini was head coach those 5yrs. Bottom line is winning, the Pats did. And their defense was middle of the pack with points allowed which is the most important statistic as far as I am concerned. Lets see what Eric does as head coach v. Herm. At least the players will work hard, be prepared, and know that their HC knows when to call a time out or when to kick a field goal. Also, what qualifications did Herm have, he was never even a coordinator before he took over.

Eric had a system in place for five years with the Patriots. He turned it into the worst ranked Patriot defense in decades, a defense actually ranked worse than the Kansas City Chiefs who ranked 25th.

31st in pass defense

He gets rid of anyone who won't be a 'Stepford Wife' and that's how they played in preseason.

And Herman Edwards never had a team that ranked as poorly as the 2005 Patriots defensive unit.

So what qualifies Mangini as a HC... being the best friend of an accountant/lawyer who happened to elbow his way into being a GM in the grand old tradition of "How to Succeed in Busines Without Really Trying".

Unqualifed... as 30 other NFL teams thought since no one ever interviewed Mangini for a HC position.

The bar may be closing, but I see Rosie O'Donnel as Rosie O'Donnel while you think your looking at Angelina Jolie.

41-44

Two 10-loss seasons in past three years.

your right but personally i would rather they suck and get a high draft pick so we can draft adrian peterson

31st in pass defense

Did you happen to notice who was in the defensive backfield for the Pats last year? I guess you didn't.

Not to mention the lose of Bruschi for half the year and Seymour missing a bunch of games.

Troll said it. 41-44 record for Herm

Not sure if this counts as being a hardass or just being an anal d-bag. He better get some wins from this team or he's gonna make an a$$ out of himself.

Parcells won 3 games his first year coaching the Ginants. If not for George Young, he would have been drummed out of town. Bellichik went 5-11 his first season with the Pat's. The following year, with TWENTY NEW PLAYERS, he won a SB.

If we win 5 games in 2006 and then get rid of all the crybabies, good riddance to bad rubbish.

we can discuss all we want which team is better but the fact remains that mangini inherited herm's crapshoote. it will take him time. when mangini was hired he gave a speech in which he said a phrase that told me this guy cares. he said that he wants to change the (losing) culture of this franchise. that showed me that he really cares about the fans and how fans have been going through the same old sh!t for so long. if he wants to change the culture i am a110% behind him.

Again, Lia, you too sissified to bet on a sig.

Plus, if the Pats were so terrible, why were they but a phantom call in Denver from being in the AFC title game again? Explain-but you won't. You could talk ranks all day-they're meaningless. Talk about wins and losses and advancing in the playoffs.

Please-just GO already!Come Sunday, the rest of the NFL finds out we bagged a loser for a 4th rounder and got ourselves a real coach.

31st in pass defense

hey turdgulper;

It wasnt Erics system,, it was Belly,, you cant judge Eric until he is the BOSS,, which he is now,,

just like you cant give credit to Herm for what Tampa bay DBs did when he was there,, he wasnt boss,,

as an aside,, going back when the Jets final 3 interviews were Marvin Lewis, John Fox and Herm..

If you were GM back then what would have been your order of offering job?

Archived