Good game

SoFlaJets

the Jets made a statement today IMO-they took the Pats down to the final play.You see Mangini and Belichick at the end there?Chad had a good game Coles and Cotch-what'd I tell you guys Cotchery was gonna have a big game.Props to NE-still tough

Coles had a fantastic game.

The guy is tougher than nails.

Don't get too proud of this. It seemed like we got a lot of fluke plays going our way, which is nice to have, but even with the flukes we did not win the game. We were down 24-0, the Pats D let up a bit. We need to be able to go out there and stay in the game for 60 minutes before we're happy, but **** that, we play to win. There are no moral victories in the NFL. We're far, far from being ready to challenge the elite right now. We need to throttle the Bills and other weaker teams right now, and put this game behind us as quickly as possible. No one should be happy with a loss.

I enjoyed the finish as much as anyone but the game was not as close as the final score might make it seem. When they needed to extend drives on us they did it all day long. We never marched down on them and rammed it in like they did to us. Instead we got two all-world extra effort after the catch type plays. We couldn't get a few inches when we had 3rd dow AND 4th down to do it and there was some really questionable time management issues at the end of the first half. Issues which lead to the 17-0 TD. With where we got the ball and when, it should have been either a score for us or going in at 10-0.

The Patriots were pretty good today and we still need to find a Running back, tight end and ways to get Brad Smith into the game. On defense we need to stop the run and generate a decent pass rush. I do not expect the last two to be addressed until next year's draft.

Chad looked pretty decent after that one which should have been picked early in the game but his final stats made his day look better than it really was. To be fairl he wasn't getting a lick of help from the running game and the protection was indifferent at times.

*sigh*

It could have been and nearly was terrible but in the end we are a team with needs in multiple areas.

Don't get too proud of this. It seemed like we got a lot of fluke plays going our way, which is nice to have, but even with the flukes we did not win the game. We were down 24-0, the Pats D let up a bit. We need to be able to go out there and stay in the game for 60 minutes before we're happy, but **** that, we play to win. There are no moral victories in the NFL. We're far, far from being ready to challenge the elite right now. We need to throttle the Bills and other weaker teams right now, and put this game behind us as quickly as possible. No one should be happy with a loss.

I am not sure the Bills even qualify as a "weaker team" any more.

I enjoyed the finish as much as anyone but the game was not as close as the final score might make it seem. When they needed to extend drives on us they did it all day long. We never marched down on them and rammed it in like they did to us. Instead we got two all-world extra effort after the catch type plays. We couldn't get a few inches when we had 3rd dow AND 4th down to do it and there was some really questionable time management issues at the end of the first half. Issues which lead to the 17-0 TD. With where we got the ball and when, it should have been either a score for us or going in at 10-0.

The Patriots were pretty good today and we still need to find a Running back, tight end and ways to get Brad Smith into the game. On defense we need to stop the run and generate a decent pass rush. I do not expect the last two to be addressed until next year's draft.

Chad looked pretty decent after that one which should have been picked early in the game but his final stats made his day look better than it really was. To be fairl he wasn't getting a lick of help from the running game and the protection was indifferent at times.

*sigh*

It could have been and nearly was terrible but in the end we are a team with needs in multiple areas.

Very good summary of the game.

I can't really walk away too disappointed from teh loss. Jets fought back and unlike the Herm-led Jets, they didn't just lay down and quit when the Pats were piling on points and it's obvious that Mangini has a new attitude running rampant throughout the team. O-line was stll suspect with Penny getting sacked 4 times. Penny played well and the defense was stingier than I'd expect.

Bottom line though: Jets running game is pitiful. Something needs to be done.

If you don't want to give credit for the great "fluke" plays that we made, then you can't give credit to the pats for the bonehead ones we made. Chad stepping out of bounds before the half, the shank punt, messing up the 4th and 1, leaving Chad in for the hail marry at the end. Without all of that, its a much closer game.

That shanked punt hurt bad.....you can't give them that kind of field position. The other issue was the ground game was awful.....if we had even a little help on the ground........who knows

but I do love the teams new attitude

The shank was the play of the game.

I like the direction the team is heading. We have a guy who knows what he's doing. Only series that sucked was the Pennington sneak followed by the run; made no sense.

Can Houston be that bad? You can knock the blocking, but Blaylock makes Martin of last year seem elusive. First contact, down.

I'm proud-this team could've quit; it didn't. It fought to the last play with no running game to speak of. It's gonna be very good here soon.

I thought Brian Schottenhiemr's biggest challenge would be working

around Pennington's limitations.That hasn't been a problem at all. We all knew the running backs weren't great. But they're utterly awful.

I like the direction the team is heading. We have a guy who knows what he's doing. Only series that sucked was the Pennington sneak followed by the run; made no sense.

I'm 99% sure that sneak was an audible by Penny. He either didn't like the called play or thought he saw some yardage that wasn't there. Still 3 yards was about average for our backs over 2 weeks, so it was a typical play.

I still think the running game will be fine and will get better with each week. Barlow lookd good in limited action. There is only one returning starter on this line and Barlow has only been a JEt for about 3 weeks. It just takes a little time for an OL to play together to become good. Also there is just not a lot of experience upfront either. If this is still our running game week 5 I will then agree.

The Jets' best chance to manufacture a running game this year is to dress Houston and rotate him and Barlow throughout the game. Give them 10 to 15 carries a game and hopefully keeping them fresh throughout teh game gives you some semblance of a running game. Thats why teh Pats running game is going to be so difficult to stop this year. THey are rotating in 2 fresh and very good running backs. In our case, we'd be rotating 2 decent RBs. But I think it could be better than what we've gotten the last two weeks. I actually thought Barlow was decent today and at one point he was averaging 4 yards a pop, but then he was abandoned for Blaylock.

Blaylock has to sit. This guy runs with literally no power. If the wind blows he falls.

After this season we need to improve the guards. Nothing against Kendall but he is getting long in the tooth and Moore is a J.A.G.

Lets look to bring in some big road graders.

Really the Jets lack of a running game makes total sense in the larger scheme.

Running backs are the fresh milk of the NFL.... short shelf life.

Doesn't make a ton of sense for a rebuilding team to make a particular effort to address the run game.... Jets were right to focus their draft picks on the OL, and on other positions that have a few years "lead in time".

Next year's the year for you guys to go get someone on day one of the draft, or in FA..... maybe even the year after (though in that scenario you want to try and find an "Antowain Smith" for next year).

Really the Jets lack of a running game makes total sense in the larger scheme.

Running backs are the fresh milk of the NFL.... short shelf life.

Doesn't make a ton of sense for a rebuilding team to make a particular effort to address the run game.... Jets were right to focus their draft picks on the OL, and on other positions that have a few years "lead in time".

Next year's the year for you guys to go get someone on day one of the draft, or in FA..... maybe even the year after (though in that scenario you want to try and find an "Antowain Smith" for next year).

No next year they need to get a big time back. You don't plan for 2 years out in the NFL. Too much changes from year to year.

Anyhow how are you? Can we still smell your fingers at the next tailgate? You promised.

No next year they need to get a big time back. You don't plan for 2 years out in the NFL. Too much changes from year to year.

Anyhow how are you? Can we still smell your fingers at the next tailgate? You promised.

Dude I've been eating so much southern barbeque that you'll want to smell my fingers...

I half-agree actually--- that's why by default I said you go get someone next year---- but if the right guy isn't there, you don't force it--- you don't need a "big time back" to win in the NFL, but you do need a competent, load-carrying one.

But next year it's probably the highest priority item on their shopping list---- but unlike Bradway, I expect Tangini to work the draft for value rather than go in with the shopping list approach (we need a DT, go get D-Rob.... we need a kicker, go get Nugent) that backfired so often for Bradway. So it ain't a lock.

I'm well, except for the fact that I missed the game due to work (they pay me too well on weekends not to give 'em up, but it still stings). I'm hopefully getting a DVD copy from a Pats poster on another board later in the week.... I'll look forward to watching this one.

Well round one is tough. If the 1st 2 weeks have shown anything it is that the Jets won't be picking in the same spot again next year. They look improved but it is anyones guess if a back is available in the slot they will pick next April.

So I agree don't force it. But they have to head into next season with a better plan that Blaylock \ Barlow. Barlow has a chance to prove it wrong if he steps up this year.

All of it means nothing at this point. As was previously stated it doesn't matter until the line starts moving some people. I said to my son -- they could have Jim Brown back there and it wouldn't matter. He answered, who's Jim Brown? I guess Jim Brown doesn't appear on any Madden fantasy rosters.

~~~ Question ~~~~

What the HELL was Belichick thinking at the very end of the Pats last offensive drive?? He dicked around WAY too much. And then to take a delay of game (with the game clock STOPPED) instead of taking a timeout for that FG??? What the hell was he thinking? He was just ASKING for a blocked kick or some other kind of disaster.

~~~ Question ~~~~

What the HELL was Belichick thinking at the very end of the Pats last offensive drive?? He dicked around WAY too much. And then to take a delay of game (with the game clock STOPPED) instead of taking a timeout for that FG??? What the hell was he thinking? He was just ASKING for a blocked kick or some other kind of disaster.

He was hoping to the Jets would jump offsides like they would have last year. Ohh, this would have been a good way to show-up Mangini, too, if it happened.

So I agree don't force it. But they have to head into next season with a better plan that Blaylock \ Barlow. Barlow has a chance to prove it wrong if he steps up this year.

1/2 of that tandom needs to go away - Blaylock looked good in KC because of the line, not because he was any good. Barlow looks legit - sort of - when he carries the ball.

Blaylock looked good in KC because of the line, not because he was any good.

:jawdrop:

I think I and a few other Patriots' fans said the same thing last year. ;-)

rsherry

I think those reasons are why the Jets will not have a running game this year.

Archived