Tomlinson the best RB ever? poppy****

Blackout

lt is an amazing back. time will tell where he finishes in comparison to the all-time greats. for all the criticism cmart receives for compiling stats, longevity is so dificult in the nfl today, moreso that the past. i would love to see jim brown, earl campbell, or oj simpson take the pounding from nfl defenses today. look at a guy like portis, 5 years of pounding and he has already lost some luster. give lt a few more seasons of 300+ carries and we'll see how he looks at 30.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/441205

I still don't see anyone surpassing what Barry Sanders could do to you on any given day

:-s

If he stays healthy through 10 seasons, he will have close to 15K yards and twice the amount of cathces Barry had. TDs will not even be close.

Barry was great and is number 1. The one thing Barry has on LT is his moves. LT is carrying another 20 pounds though.

Barry is number 1 for now, but LT is making a serious run at it.

Neither one of those guys is near the best of all time. Jim Brown, Payton, Campbell, and OJ were all considerably better IMO.

Barry Sanders at both his peak, and in overall career value, was leapyears ahead of OJ and Campbell

and while Brown and Payton are great, I can't help but think Sanders and Emmit have surpassed them. The fact Emmit was able to get 900 yards in Arizona at age 61 is one of the greatest accomplishments of all time

it was much harder to be a RB in the 90s than it was in Jim Browns day

and emmit holds every rushing record there is by a mile

LT does it all. Runs, receives, throws, etc.

LT is the best, Barry is second. Period.

Barry had 109 TD's in 10 seasons, LT has 102 through 5 and a half... add that to your yardage stats home boy.

Receiving yardage also swings towards LT.

LT does it all. Runs, receives, throws, etc.

LT is the best, Barry is second. Period.

Barry had 109 TD's in 10 seasons, LT has 102 through 5 and a half... add that to your yardage stats home boy.

Receiving yardage also swings towards LT.

touchdowns are a team stat

would you say Tiki Barber isn't having as good of a season as Kevin Barlow because he has less touchdowns?

touchdowns are a team stat

would you say Tiki Barber isn't having as good of a season as Kevin Barlow because he has less touchdowns?

TDs might be a team stat, but all those other RBs play on teams too.

You can't take those TDs away from LT. He's playing on a team with Gates, Turner and a lot of other talented players. The guy is just amazing. Why are you hating?

TDs might be a team stat, but all those other RBs play on teams too.

You can't take those TDs away from LT. He's playing on a team with Gates, Turner and a lot of other talented players. The guy is just amazing. Why are you hating?

im not hating at all, LT is the best RB in the game right now

i just think its way too early to compare him to the legends.

give it 3-4 more years

im not hating at all, LT is the best RB in the game right now

i just think its way too early to compare him to the legends.

give it 3-4 more years

I agree, and I think most in this thread do too. But I also think...it is kind of doubtful that he won't surpass everyone else at the rate he is going. If he keeps this up for another 5 years, I just don't see how he isn't just the greatest RB of all time, he's probably the greatest player of all time period. It's just frankly absurd. The way the Chargers are built, and with LT's work ethic and durability, seriously, do you really think LT is going to fall off within the next 4 years? So yeah, let's give it some time, but at the same time...we should probably appreciate what this guy is doing, and not expect him to fail too much.

I agree, and I think most in this thread do too. But I also think...it is kind of doubtful that he won't surpass everyone else at the rate he is going. If he keeps this up for another 5 years, I just don't see how he isn't just the greatest RB of all time, he's probably the greatest player of all time period. It's just frankly absurd. The way the Chargers are built, and with LT's work ethic and durability, seriously, do you really think LT is going to fall off within the next 4 years? So yeah, let's give it some time, but at the same time...we should probably appreciate what this guy is doing, and not expect him to fail too much.

Funny, around here everyone thinks he is the second coming of god.

I doubt LT will keep up this current pace for 4-5 years. Schottenheimer will run him into the ground in less than 3.

Enjoy the show before that happens, because you'll probably never see a RB score like this current streak ever again. What is that now, 20 TD's in the last 6 games? Just checked - yep. 16 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 passing. Just amazing.

Regarding the LT vs this-or-that RB, let's see the guy finish being in his prime first. Barry was just incredible, but he also used to routinely lead the NFL in carries for lost-yardage. So while his dancing around made the NFL PrimeTime clips with regularity, he also left gobs of yards on the field over his 10 years by not taking the sure 3 yards. Both are/were elusive runners, but I'd have to give Barry the nod in that category. He was also more dangerous in the open-field. But you weren't going to pound Barry into the line to wear down a power-defense the way LT can. LT is also a better receiver out of the backfield, and don't ignore that HB-options are not throw-away's unless the receiver is on his own 15-yd island. He's thrown 4 TD passes (so far) over the past 2 years.

I doubt LT will keep up this current pace for 4-5 years. Schottenheimer will run him into the ground in less than 3.

Enjoy the show before that happens, because you'll probably never see a RB score like this current streak ever again. What is that now, 20 TD's in the last 6 games? Just checked - yep. 16 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 passing. Just amazing.

I honestly doubt it. I think he averages about 20 rushes a game, and maybe 4 or 5 receptions. He's not going to wear down at that pace, at least, I don't think he will. Last year I actually thought it was amazingly stupid at how little the Chargers used LT, especially the first 4 or 5 games of the season. They started using him more as the season went on, but still, Schottenheimer, to his credit, is definitely keeping himself from overusing LT. A lot of times he'll get 4th quarters off too if the game is a blowout.

I honestly doubt it. I think he averages about 20 rushes a game, and maybe 4 or 5 receptions. He's not going to wear down at that pace, at least, I don't think he will. Last year I actually thought it was amazingly stupid at how little the Chargers used LT, especially the first 4 or 5 games of the season. They started using him more as the season went on, but still, Schottenheimer, to his credit, is definitely keeping himself from overusing LT. A lot of times he'll get 4th quarters off too if the game is a blowout.

2001: 398 touches (rushes + receptions)

2002: 451 touches

2003: 413 touches

2004: 392 touches

2005: 391 touches

2006: 258 touches through 10 games = on pace for 413 touches

Time will tell how he holds up over the next 3-5 years, but that's a lot of times to get tackled by 250-350-lb monsters.

it was much harder to be a RB in the 90s than it was in Jim Browns day

I'm not sure that is true. I think RBs had shorter careers back then. Defenders got away with more abuse back then.

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. O.J. Simpson

4. Gale Sayers

5. LaDainian Tomlinson

Right now, Barry Sanders in his prime or LT in his prime I take LT every time, and twice on Sunday. Sanders is/was awesome, but LT can do it running, can run up the middle and get the tough yard, SCORES TDs, and participates in the passing game (receiving, I'm not talking about his option passes)

Archived