Cutler to start week 13

Smizzy

Broncos: Cutler to start week 13

The News:

The Broncos are benching Jake Plummer, but the move won't come until after their upcoming game. NFL.com's Adam Schefter reported that rookie Jay Cutler will likely start when the Broncos host the Seahawks on December 3. Plummer will start this Thursday against the Chiefs.

Our View:

Will Mike Shanahan trust Cutler any more than he has Plummer? That's tough to predict, but it may be worth a gamble. The Broncos finish the season against the Cardinals, Bengals and 49ers, three bottom-tier pass defenses. We usually don't recommend betting on rookie quarterbacks, but Cutler is worth a look in deeper leagues and if your current backup passer is a dud.

How will he do and is Plummers Career over in Denver?

It's obvious the Broncos aren't in a playoff hunt. They've given up. Assuming they beat the Chiefs, they'll finish 8-8. Good thing we have Chad Pennington, we're going to beat out the Broncos for that wild card spot now, since if we used Clemens we'd lose every game just like the Broncos will.

Yeah, and how dare they dubbed him 'The Snake', a distinction bequeathed years before on the QB I just loved to hate, Ken Stabler. That hungover, unwashed scrub, him and Namath both in the same boat there on any given Sunday - except drop the scrub part for Joe. :)

Plummer's a punk.

Further proves that Shanahan is over-rates as a head coach and a complete moron. You bring in a rookie QB when your team is 8-3 or 7-4? Are you kidding me? ****ing foolish, especially in 2 straight HUGE games vs Seattle and at San Diego.

Further proves that Shanahan is over-rates as a head coach and a complete moron. You bring in a rookie QB when your team is 8-3 or 7-4? Are you kidding me? ****ing foolish, especially in 2 straight HUGE games vs Seattle and at San Diego.

- He's right not to start him in KC with so little time to take a bunch of reps in practice.

- Seattle? I doubt Plummer over Cutler would've made the difference. Plus he's got a week and a half to practice with the first team b/c of their Thanksgiving game.

- San Diego should hand them their asses in SD anyway unless they go into Martyball mode for even longer than Sunday night's game.

Actually not a bad idea. They have a legit shot this year, but not with Plummer. Throwing Cutler in there in the playoffs is a no-no.

I'll give Shanahan this - that's a ballsy move for a team that should be 8-3 Friday morning.

Why in god's name would Shannahan send Plummer in for one game as a lame duck qb? He goes into this game knowing that no matter what he does he's not starting the next week. They're going to lose this game.

Huh? Why throw the Kid to the wolves on a short week? At least this way he has 10 days to prepare for the game, not 4.

Did you tap the keg early today?

Shanahan is a very good coach. He is in the top 5 in my book.

This move is one of the dumbest if not the dumbest move I've ever seen a head coach make.

Cutler must be looking awfully good in practice.

At first I was only questioning why he'd announce it now. But then I was thinking, if Plummer has a decent game it would seem stranger to pull him - in the eyes of the players, the media, and the fans.

Clearly Shanahan doesn't suffer from the Fear of Worse Syndrome that afflicts Chadinettes. He had a playoff team so you don't throw a rookie in there game one.

You want a superbowl ring? You need a winner at QB. And Plummer is a loser. Their offense should be putting up a lot more points & don't think Shanahan doesn't know it. He also realizes, I'm sure, that a running game's success will be better with a QB who threatens the defense with the deep ball. Besides, if all Cutler does is not lose the game then he's already better than Plummer. And it's not exactly a given that Plummer would win the next couple anyway.

We'll find out how smart/stupid it was soon enough.

This move is one of the dumbest if not the dumbest move I've ever seen a head coach make.

So you think the Broncos can win the SB with Plummer at QB?

The answer is no. Sperm is right again, Shanahan does not have the fear of worse syndrome that the chadinettes have.

Cutler can only do better than what Plummer is doing. Plummer, even moreso than Chad, is a loser.

So you think the Broncos can win the SB with Plummer at QB?

The answer is no. Sperm is right again, Shanahan does not have the fear of worse syndrome that the chadinettes have.

Cutler can only do better than what Plummer is doing.

You think Cutler can win the Super Bowl? HELL no. Not as a rookie. No chance.

You go with what brought you there. Dumbass decision, you guys are clueless.

Replace "Cutler" with "Roethlisburger" then re-type it please.

And Plummer didn't bring them there. If Plummer got them to the superbowl then no, you don't bench him then.

Dude, the broncos are winning in-spite of Plummer. In-spite of Plummer.

Cutler can most definetly increase the chances of the broncos winning the SB. All he has to do is not play like a pile of horsesh#t like Plummer. The defense is lights out and they have a good running game.

The NFL in 2006 does not have a great team. I still like the Colts to win it all though.

Dude, the broncos are winning in-spite of Plummer. In-spite of Plummer.

Cutler can most definetly increase the chances of the broncos winning the SB. All he has to do is not play like a pile of horsesh#t like Plummer. The defense is lights out and they have a good running game.

The NFL in 2006 does not have a great team. I still like the Colts to win it all though.

When Shawn Merriman comes back...I do not see how anyone is beating the Chargers. The Chargers and Ravens are probably the NFL's most likely SB Champions. The NFC is just a waste of time.

Clearly Shanahan doesn't suffer from the Fear of Worse Syndrome that afflicts Chadinettes. He had a playoff team so you don't throw a rookie in there game one.

Since I have evidently been dubbed a Chadinette, please advise if you think Mangini suffers from Fear of Worse Syndrome? I'm betting he'd start damn near anyone at qb, even Stacy Tutt or JMac if he thought they could cut it. If he's just starting Chad because he started last year we are all in big trouble.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY.

Why in god's name would Shannahan send Plummer in for one game as a lame duck qb? He goes into this game knowing that no matter what he does he's not starting the next week. They're going to lose this game.

I agree, it makes no sense to announce it now. So if he throws for over 300 yards (against a Herm-coached team it's possible :wink:) he'll still be benched? They're probably going to come out very flat and get blown out. And I wanted to see Herm squirm on National tv :(

Exactly. I don't understand this decision. I couldn't believe it when a guy in my fantasy league today picked up Cutler. He wrote a post about how Cutler would start in Week 13.

I don't ever recall a team with a winning record this late in the season making a move like this.

What if Plummer has an amazing game tomorrow night? He still loses his job?

› Broncos & NFL

Plummer: I'm not an idiot

QB might be facing his make-or-break time

Jake Plummer is near the bottom in quarterback ratings.By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

November 22, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - Jake Plummer knows the score.

Through all the criticism, deserved and not so during the past three-plus seasons, and the accompanying success and failures the Broncos quarterback has experienced, Plummer has not been blind to the buzz that constantly surrounds him.

And coming off a wrenching division loss against the San Diego Chargers, he sums up public perception this way: "We suck. I suck. We all suck. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving."

Yet the negative vibe has a different feel this week as the Broncos (7-3) prepare for their AFC West showdown against the Kansas City Chiefs (6-4) on Thursday (6 p.m. MST, KDVR-Ch. 31, NFL Network), and Plummer seems to sense that, too.

Disapproval of the quarterback's play might finally have filtered into the Broncos organization itself.

Coach Mike Shanahan consistently has backed Plummer in the media through the years but deflected questions about the topic during his weekly news conference Monday. When asked about his confidence level in Plummer, Shanahan spoke about some vague notion of everyone having to pull their weight.

While there has been scuttlebutt about unhappiness with Plummer's inconsistent play, including a couple of ESPN reports during the past month that Shanahan was close to benching him, the reality appears to be the quarterback might finally have hit make-or-break time.

Get the job done in Kansas City and it likely will be another storm that passes. Struggle, which often has been the case this season despite the Broncos' record, and there's a real chance first-round draft pick Jay Cutler could get his turn to shake up things offensively.

Plummer, in typical fashion, is brushing off such talk, if only because he has learned to become immune to such pronouncements.

"It's another game," he said Tuesday. "If we don't win, am I going to be done playing football for the rest of my life? No."

Plummer also brushed off talk about facing increased pressure against a Chiefs team that limited the Broncos to three field goals in an overtime victory Sept. 17 at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Pressure is a constant for Plummer.

"It's been there two years ago. It's been there since I've got here," he said. "Do you think I've ever had a moment where I felt like, 'Oh, God, I can just cruise.' No, never. And it's added to it, obviously, because of the situation with Jay.

"Hey, I'm not an idiot. I've been in the league 10 years. I'm going to keep playing. That's how I've survived these things before is, you keep playing and playing hard."

Plummer, ranked near the bottom of the league in quarterback rating, insisted that winning Thanksgiving night takes priority over any statistical improvements on his part.

"If I go 0-for-20 and throw one pass that wins the game, hey, we got a 'W.' Say what you want," he said. "Write as many bad things you want about me. My mom loves me. My girlfriend loves me. My dogs adore me."

Plummer's best trait as a Bronco has been winning. He is 39-14 during the regular season as a starter, a tenure in which he has remained durable.

But after compiling his best NFL season in 2005, he rarely has resembled the player who helped the Broncos to the AFC Championship Game last season with a 60.7 completion percentage and 18-7 touchdowns-to-interceptions ratio.

There have been factors other than Plummer in the offense's drop-off:

• The running game has been sporadic.

• The play-calling at times has been conservative.

• Receivers often haven't gotten open.

Among Plummer's struggles has been his ability to throw from the pocket when defenses have pinned in the ends and taken away bootlegs and designed rollouts, as San Diego did Sunday night in holding him to a 13-of-28 passing performance that was his worst this season.

Even Shanahan conceded in his measured responses of Plummer, saying, "We're off a little bit, especially in our drop-back passing."

And Plummer admitted he has had difficulty getting in a groove, except for solid outings in successive games against the Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers.

"You're not going to get in a groove all year," Plummer said. "And that's why you have to try and fight through it and win games, and we have. And that's what people don't see. People want the groove for the whole year."

Plummer was as close to finding that consistency in 2005 as he has at any time during his 10 seasons, recording nine games with a quarterback rating of at least 90.0. He has hit that mark only three times in 10 games this season and, at 69.7, is ranked ahead of only Drew Bledsoe (69.2), Matt Leinart (68.1), Joey Harrington (67.5), Vince Young (56.1) and Andrew Walter (55.0).

One saving grace has been fourth- quarter performances. Plummer threw three interceptions against the Oakland Raiders on Nov. 5 before hitting fullback Kyle Johnson for the go-ahead touchdown in the final quarter. But he couldn't orchestrate a second-half touchdown drive Sunday against San Diego when the run game was stifled.

Plummer dropped a snap out of the shotgun on third down before a Jason Elam field goal. Later, a third-down pass to Brandon Marshall was off-target. And on the next snap, Plummer was intercepted while trying to force the ball into Rod Smith on a play in which the blocking scheme left him without a secondary receiver.

Plummer's biggest beef about his performance comes down to decision-making and completion percentage (54.3), which would be the lowest of his Broncos tenure.

"You add 10 percent to that and that's how many more catches per game where guys have a chance to either get a first down or make a play," said Plummer, who has thrown 10 interceptions. "Obviously, I hate to see interceptions up, but if the completion percentage is up, then those are down and we have more plays."

Now the question is whether Plummer can buy more time with a solid performance Thursday. He said he has spent more time studying and watching film to try to find more consistency and will keep fighting to play better regardless of the situation.

That mind-set apparently was shared by the offense Tuesday in the week's only full-scale workout.

"The ball hit the ground one time, and that was a bad throw," Smith said. "Everybody was crisp. It was clean, no mistakes. The backs ran hard. The quarterback made the right reads and the receivers caught the ball. It was honestly, I feel, the best practice we've had all season."

rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com

When Shawn Merriman comes back...I do not see how anyone is beating the Chargers. The Chargers and Ravens are probably the NFL's most likely SB Champions. The NFC is just a waste of time.

you do realize that the HC of the chargers is marty "maryball" shoetenheimer right? when was the last time a marty coached team ever gone deep in the playoffs?

Huh? Why throw the Kid to the wolves on a short week? At least this way he has 10 days to prepare for the game, not 4.

True but like I said, Plummer is going to be pissed and will play even worse than usual tomorrow. I look for the Chiefs to pull the upset.

you do realize that the HC of the chargers is marty "maryball" shoetenheimer right? when was the last time a marty coached team ever gone deep in the playoffs?

When was the last time he had as capable a QB as Rivers? Have you been watching the Chargers lately? That offense absolutely is not Martyball. It's like how Cowher was conservative and opened up for the playoffs, that light finally went on with Marty and he is pretty aggressive now. It kind of sucks because our advantage at aggressive HC is going to be lessened as more coaches wise up.

ever hear of a guy used to play QB named montana?

how about:

deberg

montana

grbac

brees

That was Montana way past his prime, for two season, and I remember one of those playoff games. Montana got knocked out of the game, so Marty didn't een have him. Rivers is better than those other guys you listed.

It's true Marty hasn't done great in the playoffs, but Cowher had the same shortcomings and we saw how that changed last year. I think, although I am obviously not sure, that Marty will also realize what it takes to win in the playoffs now and finally remove the Martycuffs in the playoffs, just as it's finally been removed during the regular season. You heard it from me first, if it does happen. Maybe I'll bump this thread in 2 months.

Archived