What about Portis?

4HCrew

build the offensive line and they will come....1000 yard RBs.Right now the only guy who has me interested is Turner from San Diego-it would take either a trade or a 1st round pick to get him so I don't think it will happen

good point,, look at denver, ,soflajets would get yards in that 'system'.. its more about the sytem and the OL than the RB, in most cases,, u always have a LT etc..

good point,, look at denver, ,soflajets would et yards in that 'system'.. its more about the sytem and the OL than the RB, in most cases,, u always have a LT etc..

yea I agree SJ-it was a plug-anybody-in-at-RB system and every guy no matter if he was even drafted or not and he'd get you a grand.We still need another couple of bodies though and who knows maybe we can score gold with a draft pick.RB's are the easiest to plug in and get production from.The learning curve is not as steep going from college to the pros.

No way, he's not that good. The Skins want him out and we would be foolish to take him off their hands. He's done.

two things though

1:we DO deal with Washington a lot-we have history there and

2: We usually get the better of said deals...

If Schott really likes Turner then i believe Turner will be a jet for one of our second rd picks.

#1 pick is 2 high IMO

what I LIKE about Turner is he hasn't been beat up yet...They (SD) SHOULD trade the guy-his agent should be in there selling this anyway since there's NO WAY he sees the field much with LT in front of him.Who knows maybe we can make amends to the football gods for squandering another up-and-coming young RB who was never given HIS fair shot with the Jets...

I'd say one of these two possible deals could and SHOULD occur:

1. Jets trade Vilma to Washington for Portis

or

2. Jets trade 2nd round pick this year / future second day draft pick to Washington for Portis

I think a lot of us would rather have the second option be the case but if Vilma isn't moved to the outside he has no place in the 3-4 defense at ILB as he will not excell there.

or

2. Jets trade 2nd round pick this year / future second day draft pick to Washington for Portis

I think a lot of us would rather have the second option be the case but if Vilma isn't moved to the outside he has no place in the 3-4 defense at ILB as he will not excell there.

if one of the crappiest teams in nfl doesnt want him why do we?

and RBs can be had by smart front offices on draft day.

i wouldnt use vilma chip on a RB with 5 years already on his resume.

or

we are not trading Vilma for a guy who dresses up in customs when he speaks with the media, its not going to happen, mangini is not bringing in a big time star with a head like Clinton Portis, make my workds never going to happen.

if one of the crappiest teams in nfl doesnt want him why do we?

and RBs can be had by smart front offices on draft day.

i wouldnt use vilma chip on a RB with 5 years already on his resume.

Washington needs to unload on some of their higher salary guys and with Ladell Betts performing well it gives them space to try to unload Clinton. Portis is one of the best backs in the league and he's only 26 years old meaning he's got another 4-6 years left in the tank before we probably see him ride off into the sunset. Give me Clinton Portis anyday.

Washington needs to unload on some of their higher salary guys and with Ladell Betts performing well it gives them space to try to unload Clinton. Portis is one of the best backs in the league and he's only 26 years old meaning he's got another 4-6 years left in the tank before we probably see him ride off into the sunset. Give me Clinton Portis anyday.

hey who knows maybe we can fleece them for a this years' 4th and a 7th next year-something like that then I say sure

we are not trading Vilma for a guy who dresses up in customs when he speaks with the media, its not going to happen, mangini is not bringing in a big time star with a head like Clinton Portis, make my workds never going to happen.

inside1-2005-11-16-portis.jpg

S'up

what exactly has Turner proven in the NFL?

What has a top-5 pick proven?

What had JMac proven when we traded for him & many shouted out "good trade" b/c we couldn't get a guaranteed better player in that slot?

At least Turner's somewhat of a known quantity to the Jets, since Scott coached on San Diego last year.

I'm actually right there with CoachT. A 2nd rounder for him (which goes without saying that it means he gets Schott's endorsement) is ok. I'd also be ok with Michael Bush if he lasted that long.

Also agree with CoachT on Portis. Not just the injury-prone history. But his contract is no bargain for someone who's proven unreliable:

Not doubting Portis' talent, but he's just not durable. Ribs with Den, then he wasn't 100% his first year in Wash, then his shoulder & whatever else in '06. Plus it's not like 2-3 years ago. He's had a decent # of carries by now & before this contract is half-over you'll start to notice it in his play (probably).

Get some fresh legs in here who will still be fast in his 5th year & won't cost 1/2 this much.

Also agree on Vilma. I think we should be able to do better than #15 (if that's the way Mangini wants to go). I could deal with a little lower than that if it included another day one pick. Like #17 in rounds 1 and 3. Wouldn't nitpick too much over it. Unfortunately, Vilma just doesn't play like a first-round talent in the 3-4. If you can replace that with a first-round talent who does, why fight it?

The whole thing with Vilma is, maybe he can play good but the D-line is holding him back.

Even if thats not the case, he runs the defense... a hard one to run... who do we have that can step into that role without our defense taking 2 steps back?

The whole thing with Vilma is, maybe he can play good but the D-line is holding him back.

Even if thats not the case, he runs the defense... a hard one to run... who do we have that can step into that role without our defense taking 2 steps back?

I do not fear the unknown.

Which would be a better overall team? (and there is no right/wrong; it's all opinion & Mangini doesn't exactly ask for our counsel anyway):

ILB Vilma

OLB Hobson/new acquisition (A.Thomas/draft/etc)

or

ILB Hobson/Chatham

OLB new acquisition (A.Thomas/draft/etc)

HB Marshawn Lynch

(and in either situation, still have 3 picks in first 2 rounds)

I do not fear the unknown.

Which would be a better overall team? (and there is no right/wrong; it's all opinion & Mangini doesn't exactly ask for our counsel anyway):

ILB Vilma

OLB Hobson/new acquisition (A.Thomas/draft/etc)

or

ILB Hobson/Chatham

OLB new acquisition (A.Thomas/draft/etc)

HB Marshawn Lynch

(and in either situation, still have 3 picks in first 2 rounds)

I think that Vilma has more potential in the 3-4, thats all... he can be a playmaker...

Archived