The Old Mans take on Chad

SouthernJet

OK, look. Here is the straight poop from the old fart himself, SJ.

We as Jet fans all know Chad doesnt have the strongest arm in the world. OK, we get that.

We all know that by drafting Clemmens top of 2nd round last year that both Mangini and Tanny both feel that based on current QB situation that drafting a highly rated QB might be prudent.

We also know that Mangini has changed the way we watch and enjoy football on Sunday. he has our hearts and souls now whoich means we trust that he will do whats best for the Jets on any given Sunday.

At this point, playing Chad who brings a high football IQ, a knowledge of the system and the heart of a lion is more prudent than bringing in a veteran who may or may not pan out and who will certainly not have the knowledge of the system Chad has.

The Jets are not interested in a learning curve for a starter. In other words, start Chad until a draftee is trained over time or a young free agent QB is willing to sit a year or two to absorb the system.

We are poised to win now, as we proved with a playoff spot this year.

We will not risk the team to a QB who is not totally immersed in our system.

We arent rebuilding, we are reloading.

We as Jet fans all know Chad doesnt have the strongest arm in the world. OK, we get that.

We all know that by drafting Clemmens top of 2nd round last year that both Magini and Tanny both feel that based on current QB situation that drafting a highly rated QB might be prudent.

We also know that Mangini has changed the way we watch and enjoy football on Sunday. he has our herats and souls now whoich means we trust that he will do whats best for the Jets on any given Sunday.

At this point, playing Chad who brings a high football IQ, a knowledge of the system and the heart of a lion is more prudent than bringing in a veteran who may or may not pan out and who will certainly not have the knowledge of the system Chad has.

The Jets are not interested in a learning curve for a starter. In other words, start Chad until a draftee is trained over time or a young free agent QB is willing to sit a year or two to absorb the system.

SJ-I appreciate your viewpoints.

The question is a multi-million dollar question this off-season.

For tHe Jets to win with Pennington, they need to quickly build their offense into a traditional Parcells-type plow horse offense which can move the ball efficiently and be run oriented. They will need to be precise and error free. It will take more O-lineman and a feature back.

They will need to have a defense that can create its own opportunities and be formidabe and get off teh field on 3rd downs. They will need to create field position.

Not an impossible task. But one that needs you to hit homeruns in teh draft and free agency.

it will be interesting to see how thay approach it.

For tHe Jets to win with Pennington, they need to quickly build their offense into a traditional Parcells-type plow horse offense which can move the ball efficiently and be run oriented. They will need to be precise and error free. It will take more O-lineman and a feature back.

They will need to have a defense that can create its own opportunities and be formidabe and get off teh field on 3rd downs. They will need to create field position.

Not an impossible task. But one that needs you to hit homeruns in teh draft and free agency.

agree with all you say.

based on last years job in the draft and the cap room we have I say its worth a shot , dont you.

agree with all you say.

based on last years job in the draft and the cap room we have I say its worth a shot , dont you.

It is very plausible.

They need to make sure Bradway and the minions are looking for the right people. A road grader on the right side of the line would really help be a start.

I do think we need to really improve the running game, but I also don't think we need to be a "traditional" anything. We were anything but traditional this year, and I think that both helped us win and made for some great football to watch as fans. I say take this young coaching staff not stuck in traditional ways of thinking and gameplanning, the young players who have talent and can be molded, a good power runner to put a little fear in the D, and maybe a little more help on the Oline to help out with the running game, and let Chad do his thing running these complicated schemes. I don't think it means we need to be run-oriented persae, we just need to have more of a threat there to open things up a bit.

Maybe i'm reading this wrong but are you saying that they wouldn't need to do all these things if just upgraded the QB position?

Look at it this way........

Do you want to be in this same boat a year from now, wondering about Chad, and finally making the switch to Clemens in year 3 of Mangini's tenure?

Waiting till year 3 to put in Clemens (or another QB) would be stupid. 2007 would have essentially been a waste to some degree.

2006 - Set the tempo with Chad to make players buy into your system

2007 - who knows what will happen, this will be interesting.....

A few pieces will get us back to the playoffs. RT, MLB, CB, Workhorse RB, and NT. That being said. I still don't like chad as our QB. But, if we get enough pieces around him we can make it to the playoffs and maybe pretty deep. Sit Clemens till he is ready or until Chad gets jacked up again.

Maybe i'm reading this wrong but are you saying that they wouldn't need to do all these things if just upgraded the QB position?

Those moves are magnified even more with Chad as a qb.

Yes, they are important regardless, but this staff will be more cubby-holed into teh type of team they can field.

It is very plausible.

They need to make sure Bradway and the minions are looking for the right people. A road grader on the right side of the line would really help be a start.

Beans and I got into this the other day at the bar. He said same thing, a right guard.

I would like to see a stud left guard who will with Brick and Mangold anchor the left side for 10 years. Like the old great teams of past, they always had a dominating left side , somewhere they could ALWAYS go for a 3rd and 2 when needed.

I understand a upgrade at right side is needed, but I would love to use a quality pick on a stud left guard. Could Kendall move to right guard , or could stud play on right side until Kendall leaves?

I can see your point there.

The only thing i'm concerned with is it seems like people think it's easy to just go out and get a better QB then Chad. This is no easy task and could even backfire and we could go from QB to QB for the next 10 years and still not have that elite QB that everyone wants.

Waiting till year 3 to put in Clemens (or another QB) would be stupid. 2007 would have essentially been a waste to some degree.

look at it this way.

do you trust eric?

if eric feels clemens will be 100% ready in year 3, and chad will get us into playoffs again next year, then why not.

having said that, i wouldnt be surprised to see clemens get the starting nod in 2007.

bottom line, at this point i totally beleieve eric will do what makes us win today.

We all know that by drafting Clemmens top of 2nd round last year that both Magini and Tanny both feel that based on current QB situation that drafting a highly rated QB might be prudent.

We also know that Mangini has changed the way we watch and enjoy football on Sunday. he has our herats and souls now whoich means we trust that he will do whats best for the Jets on any given Sunday.

Good Post SJ

great thread here sj. I too trust eric 100% to do whats best for the team. I really think he'll hang his hat on chad for 1 more year. It won't hurt clemons to wait another year & learn the art of orchastrating a team like chad can do so well. I think mangini thinks chads intelligence helps all phases of the team. coaches hate mistakes. chad is not the future but he's the best stopgap going as an above average qb who helps a new team get better.

clemons in 2nd half of 07 or even 08 is fine by me.

Beans and I got into this the other day at the bar. He said same thing, a right guard.

I would like to see a stud left guard who will with Brick and Mangold anchor the left side for 10 years. Like the old great teams of past, they always had a dominating left side , somewhere they could ALWAYS go for a 3rd and 2 when needed.

I understand a upgrade at right side is needed, but I would love to use a quality pick on a stud left guard. Could Kendall move to right guard , or could stud play on right side until Kendall leaves?

that's a good point SJ get a road grader for LG and run at will-Kendall could play any position on the line.The thing that impressed me when I watched the Christmas game in that rainstorm was how Pete Kendall would ALWAYS be working off to the side by himself-coaching himself up on technique

that's a good point SJ get a road grader for LG and run at will-Kendall could play any position on the line.The thing that impressed me when I watched the Christmas game in that rainstorm was how Pete Kendall would ALWAYS be working off to the side by himself-coaching himself up on technique

Kendall could go to the right side or stay on the left while the rook learns.

if eric feels clemens will be 100% ready in year 3, and chad will get us into playoffs again next year, then why not.

I think thats great logic SJ and if it could play out that way it's absolutely the right plan.

Do you think Chad's ability can get us 10 wins with this schedule - Buffalo(2), Miami(2), New England(2), Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Dallas, N.Y. Giants?

I don't. But that's just me.

I think thats great logic SJ and if it could play out that way it's absolutely the right plan.

Do you think Chad's ability can get us 10 wins with this schedule - Buffalo(2), Miami(2), New England(2), Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Dallas, N.Y. Giants?

I don't. But that's just me.

nj, with chad at the helm and his arm strength the same, the offense the same with maybe a big back, the defense slightly better, this team wins 7 games (maybe)...so i agree with you...if i read correctly in this thread, we hope clemons will be ready, cause we are not going after a qb..right?

nj, with chad at the helm and his arm strength the same, the offense the same with maybe a big back, the defense slightly better, this team wins 7 games (maybe)...so i agree with you...if i read correctly in this thread, we hope clemons will be ready, cause we are not going after a qb..right?

That's my number too. And that's with this draft devoted to shoring up the D and maybe another good OL. I don't see them grabbing a QB through the draft or FA unless somebody on the staff is thinking Clemens is high prob el-busto. To me, this situation is a huge defining moment in our immediate ability to succeed that fortunately doesn't have to be dealt with till the end of camp. Chad under center with this schedule = 7 wins or less.

Archived