Best hitter in the game right now: poll #1

Blackout

who is the best active hitter in baseball?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. who is the best active hitter in baseball?

• Albert Pujols (STL)
    • Vlad Guerrero (LAA)
    • Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)
    • Todd Helton (COL)
    • Barry Bonds (SFG)
    • Miguel Tejada (BAL)
    • Manny Ramirez (BOS)
    • Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

I'm going to do a series of polls in order to determine who this board finds as the best hitters currently in the game. The way it works is I'll leave the poll up for 5 days, and whoever gets the most votes gets the #1 spot. Then the remaining players, plus one new canidate, will go for the #2 spot, and on and on

Obviously with the two of the three most popular teams on this forum both playing like dog crap right now, we need more to talk about in baseball besides bashing eachothers teams and fanbase :lol:

Here are the nominees:

Albert Pujols

Vladimir Guerrero

Ichiro Suzuki

Todd Helton

Barry Bonds

Miguel Tejada

Manny Ramirez

Alex Rodriguez

Pujols.

Everyone else is playing for second. He hits for a high average and with power.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pujolal01.shtml

Look at his page on baseball reference and the player he is most similar to at his age.

The one and only Joe DiMaggio.

EB50 - Jeter is not even one of the best 8 hitters in the AL East.

Pujols.

Everyone else is playing for second. He hits for a high average and with power.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pujolal01.shtml

Look at his page on baseball reference and the player he is most similar to at his age.

The one and only Joe DiMaggio.

EB50 - Jeter is not even one of the best 8 hitters in the AL East.

LOL :lol::lol:

He's the best hitter on the Yankees. Sheffield, Arod, Matsui...none of them are as good as Jeter is. Maybe in home runs and rbis, but thats not Jeters game.

He's the best hitter on the Yankees. Sheffield, Arod, Matsui...none of them are as good as Jeter is. Maybe in home runs and rbis, but thats not Jeters game.

RBI's are the most important statistic for a hitter besides OPS. If driving in runs to help your team isn't the job of the hitter, then what the hell is Derek Jeter doing with that $15 million salary? :shock:

RBI's are the most important statistic for a hitter besides OPS. If driving in runs to help your team isn't the job of the hitter, then what the hell is Derek Jeter doing with that $15 million salary? :shock:

When you bat leadoff and 2nd its not easy to hit 120 rbis like 3-5 hitters like Vlad, Sheff and Manny.

And for a leadoff/2 hitter, Jeter knocks in alot of runs.

EB I loved you on draft day my man but the Yanks pecking order hitting wise is,

Arod

Sheff

Matsui

Jeter

You are speaking with your heart and not evaluating the talent fairly.

Anyway Bonds is the best hitter on that Poll but will receive nada on this board.

That is funny. I thought hits were the most important stat for a hitter.

Not really. 150 hits may seem like a lot, but if you have 600 AB's, thats only a .250 average.

OPS combines slugging percentage and on base percentage, which basically show how good of an overall hitter and player you are (power, speed, patience all factor in).

RBI's show how clutch you are and your production, which helps you win games. It's not about total hits, its about GETTING ON BASE and KNOCKING IN RUNS to help your team WIN.

Dipsh*t. Ichiro is the best contact hitter in the game, but Pujols can hit for the same average and get 130 RBI's. It's a poorly phrased question. Way to go, Blackout.

I'd take Ichiro over Pujols any day of the week

Excellent OF, great leadoff, steals bases.....for my $$$$$ he is the best

Now, get back to bed with Linda Fiorintino

Pujois is the best hitter for average and power and amazingly few strikeouts for a hitter with his power

And Matsui and Sheffield are the best hitters on the Yankees- not even close with Jeter.

I'd take Ichiro over Pujols any day of the week

Excellent OF, great leadoff, steals bases.....for my $$$$$ he is the best

Now, get back to bed with Linda Fiorintino

And that's why your team would lose. Sure, Pujols doesn't steal bases all that much, but he makes everyone better around him. Ichiro is a slap hitter. That and Pujols is like 23/24, nearly a decade younger than Ichiro.

That is funny. I thought hits were the most important stat for a hitter. Jeter will end up with over 3,000 in his career. Not too shabby.

hits are a career thing

careers dont quality for "whos the best hitter right now"

I voted for Vlad. F#ck Pujols.

And, EB, this poll only has eight options, not 150, so there's no room for Jeter.

Now, now Troll... no need to be jealous of Pujols, just cause he's on the Cards :wink: bitter Cubs fan... :lol:

Pujols is the answer to this question, as I've said ad naseum. Why? He hits just as good, if not better than Ichiro (yeah, I went there, and yes he does). He hits for power just about better than anyone in the league. He doesn't strike out. He drives people in. He's a lifetime .333 hitter. His OPS is, for his lifetime, 1.035. His lifetime OBP is .412. His slugging percentage is .623.

Here's how I would order that list:

1) Albert Pujols (not even a question)

2) Ichiro Suzuki (not a HR hitter, but hits to all fields, great hitter)

3) Todd Helton

4) Vlad Guerrero (Would be higher if he was injured less often)

5) Barry Bonds

6) Alex Rodriguez

7) Manny Ramirez

8) Miguel Tejada

Archived