Coughlin finds a scapegoat- Tim Lewis

faba

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Despite having been interviewed by Miami Dolphins officials earlier this week for the team's head coach vacancy, New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis was dismissed Thursday in what could be the first of several moves on coach Tom Coughlin's staff.

It had been rumored for the past few weeks that Lewis' position might be in jeopardy. It is believed, in fact, that Lewis' status was a major part of the organizational meetings that took place earlier this week between Coughlin and Giants ownership.

New York statistically ranked No. 25 in total defense in 2006, and the unit -- which suffered through a spate of injuries -- struggled down the stretch, as did the team in general.

Lewis, 45, had been with the Giants since 2004, when Coughlin brought him aboard as part of his first staff in New York. He was, in fact, the first assistant coach hired by Coughlin after accepting the Giants job.

Lewis' departure means the Giants now have dismissed both coordinators who began the 2006 season with the team. Offensive coordinator John Hufnagel was fired before the Giants' final regular-season game. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, who called the plays in the regular-season finale and then in the wild-card playoff loss at Philadelphia, likely will take over as offensive coordinator.

It is not yet known where Coughlin, who on Wednesday received a one-year contract extension through the 2008 season, will look for a new defensive coordinator. One possibility is current Miami coordinator Dom Capers, who once served as Coughlin's defensive coordinator in Jacksonville.

Under Lewis, the Giants ranked 13th in total defense in 2004 but then slumped to 24th in 2005 and to 25th for the recently concluded season.

Lewis previously coached in the NFL at Pittsburgh (1995-2003), where he also was the coordinator before joining Coughlin's staff. He was a standout cornerback at the University of Pittsburgh and the Green Bay Packers' first-round choice in the 1983 draft. Lewis played four seasons for the Packers (1983-86) before a neck injury ended his career.

His coaching career in the college ranks included stints at Texas A&M (1987-88), SMU (1989-92) and the University of Pittsburgh (1993-94). He has interviewed four times for NFL head coach vacancies

Tim Lewis was fired? Wow. Real smart move by Coughlin.. NOT! Is it Tim's fault that Coughlin brought in a Cornerback with his legs gone in Madison and did not bring in one starting calibear DT to take pressure off of Strahan, Umenyiora & Kiwanuka. Not to mention the injuries throughout the year to Umenyiora, Strahan & Arrington.

Way to go Tommy boy! Keep screwing up the Giants!

If they get Capers they will be in much better shape. Not in love with Gilbride running the offense. But honestly he doesn't have big shoes to fill.

Ultimately I think Coughlin has to shake up the roster. A key player -- send a message. He needs to get everyones attention.

Nice thought, but they don't have any key players. All they have is roster full of mutinous malcontents that smell like Tapioca.

Well you know what I mean. Mangini cut Mawae to show he was serious! Something like that. He can cut his son-in-law Snee to get some street cred.

Wow...they should start by getting rid of Schockey and Strahan..and some of those other malcontent whiners before the Coaches fall..thats lame..

I totally agree BP. Certain players on that team are the heart of the problem.

Well you know what I mean. Mangini cut Mawae to show he was serious! Something like that. He can cut his son-in-law Snee to get some street cred.

It would probably make Snee feel loved. Hehe. Here's the main thing I see with Coughlin. His players never bought in. The whole hardass thing, they never respected him for whatever reason and he never had control of the team. Plus, the players wanted to control how they were coached. What kind of chit is that in the first place?! Now I'm not a Coughlin fan, but they basically pissed all over him and submarined him over and over. He probably decided to stay just so can break their b*lls.

He probably decided to stay just so can break their b*lls.

That and the paycheck.

Next year he should shake things up. You aren't late for a 9:00am meeting until 8:57am. That 2 extra minutes will freak them out and just command respect!

:P

That and the paycheck.

Next year he should shake things up. You aren't late for a 9:00am meeting until 8:57am. That 2 extra minutes will freak them out and just command respect!

:P

Well, yeah, the paycheck of course; but why not torture them in maddening ways for payback while he can? Beat a Giants pinata with a stick, maybe a positive attitude falls out. :)

Coughlin tried to bring college intimidation to the NFL. It can work, but I guess his 'Q' factor is lacking. College kids want playing time and dream of making it INTO the NFL. They're a captive audience and respond to that sort of browbeating. These guys, they just look at him like a grumpy old windbag trying to hack a goober. Even still, I just can't condone their behavior on any level. To me, at least psychologically, it could be part of the reason why Eli is floundering. He's lost. They don't see him as a leader, Shockey disrespects him on the sideline, they hate the Coach. It's a train wreck. But you know, it totally destroys the Coach persona and what it's supposed to stand for, the respect level that should be in place in theory. They get paid to be dictated to. Put up and shut up and complain privately, not to anyone who will listen. It wears thin immediately.

Anyway, don't confuse all this for me actually CARING what befalls that organization. I couldn't be happier the Giants are in disarray.

Though I don't like Coughlin, being he's a part of the Giants I would still have to say this thread is a little misleading. Obviously there's changes that need to be made, and most are going to say fire Tom but he did bring them to the playoffs two years in a row. And though he backed in this year at 8-8, back to back playoff bids from the Giants haven't been posted since Tuna. That has to count for something.

Archived