Mike & Mike Rumors

DonCorleone

The Miami Fins may have their man. Mike Shula son of Don Shula may be the man they are looking for.

The Irony is that he replaces Nick Saban whom replaced him as HC at Alabama.

On a non football note, the Giants are looking for ways of dumping Bonds' contract. The Red Sux are the only team that has shown interest to this point.

Choosing Mike Shula, to me, is taking a step backwards. This really makes no sense. Is Daddy (Don Shula) so intent on keeping the Shula name along the sidelines in Miami?

According to Mike & Mike (And I am not saying that they are the bible on this) Don Shula would never have allowed such a rumor to slip to the media unless

A-there was some truth to it

and

B-He was trying to push the whole organization to hire him

But who knows. I would welcome that move from Miami simply because I think that he is a bad choice

The Miami Fins may have their man. Mike Shula son of Don Shula may be the man they are looking for.

The Irony is that he replaces Nick Saban whom replaced him as HC at Alabama.

On a non football note, the Giants are looking for ways of dumping Bonds' contract. The Red Sux are the only team that has shown interest to this point.

Why would SF have to dump Bonds' contract? From what I have heard, it is not even finalized and signed, yet.

Dolphins' coach search expands

Mike Shula, son of legendary coach Don Shula, Cam Cameron and Dom Capers are in the running to be head coach -- along with Jim Mora and Chan Gailey.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

271432197525.jpg

DALE ZANINE/US PRESSWIRE

LIKE FATHER: 'He's got a lot of his dad in him,' Dolphins CEO Joe Bailey said of Mike Shula, above. 'Very smart, very assertive, very firm. A very attractive potential person for us.'

So much for the short list.

After a week of public silence from team officials, Dolphins president Bryan Wiedmeier and CEO Joe Bailey made it clear Tuesday the seemingly shrinking group of finalists isn't that small at all.

Remember Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers? And Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron? Keep them on the list. And add one more familiar name, too.

Former Alabama coach Mike Shula already has met twice with the Dolphins about the position. Shula, who was replaced by Nick Saban at Alabama, is the son of Dolphins legend Don Shula.

''He's got a lot of his dad in him,'' Bailey said Tuesday. ``Very smart, very assertive, very firm. A very attractive potential person for us.''

According to a person familiar with the search, Mike Shula's second meeting, which took place at the team's facility, lasted four hours and entailed everything from the salary cap, potential assistants and what he might want to change.

Owner Wayne Huizenga, general manager Randy Mueller, Bailey and Wiedmeier were present during the lengthy discussions, indicating the interview was not merely a courtesy gesture to the Shula family.

''Everywhere he has coached, Mike has exhibited class, integrity and enthusiasm -- all critical ingredients to run a successful program,'' Don Shula said in a team-issued statement. ``He has a special feeling about the Dolphin organization.''

BIGGER LIST

So just as the search appeared to be dwindling to two finalists (former Falcons coach Jim Mora and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey), the timeline for a potential hire also appears to be lengthening just as the number of candidates does.

Wiedmeier maintained Tuesday that the team has never set a timeline, and it has no necessary reason to rush the decision.

''We're not fixed on a number,'' said Wiedmeier, noting the lack of other openings across the league has caused for less competition and less pressure to make a hire. ``The process is geared to getting the right person.

``If a candidate surfaced today that we felt was compelling and that was the right person, certainly we would consider that.''

For now, it doesn't appear that will be the case. But because the Chargers were eliminated from the playoffs Sunday, it allowed the Dolphins to reignite talks with Cameron. Wiedmeier said he has contacted Cameron's representatives since the loss.

''He's an outstanding football mind, probably one of the more innovative football minds in the game today,'' Wiedmeier said. ``We've got a great deal of respect for him.''

A second interview is expected at some point this week.

Wiedmeier also cleared up the misnomer that Capers is out of the hunt for the head coaching job. Despite a lucrative contract that would make Capers the NFL's highest-paid assistant, he still potentially could be hired for the top job.

By at least extending the offer to remain the defensive coordinator, it allows the team to maintain his services while also exploring all of its other head coaching options without a rush.

''Dom is someone who has been and is being considered as a candidate for the head coaching position,'' Wiedmeier said. ``He's an outstanding football coach, and we're very fortunate to have him in our organization.''

So even when the final days -- even the final hours -- appeared the be upon the Dolphins' hunt, the latest action at camp suggested something far different Tuesday.

When Huizenga rolled up to the team's facility, he noticed two local TV reporters staked out to catch any footage of potential developments. Huizenga cordially spun his gray Bentley back around and waved the cameramen to his car.

IN NO HURRY

No interviews, he said. But he wanted to advise them nothing would be happening this day. As Bailey ended his weekly radio show later that night, he offered a slightly more detailed idea as to where this search seems headed.

''Maybe by this time next week,'' Bailey said, ``we'll have a new coach.''

Miami Herald sportswriter Armando Salguero contributed to this report.

Mike Shula getting this job would be, well amazing. The only thing better would be hearing that Belly was taking the season off to spend more time with his "family".

I think they may only be looking to give Shula the job to keep his daddy happy with the organization.

From what I understand, it is because of the negative publicity that the whole organization has been receiving. No other details were given.

My point was that there is no contract with Barry Bonds today. They only have a verbal agreement and are hammering out the final details.

Good chance that Don is just getting Mike a pity interview. It'll be more likely to help him when he's looking for other jobs as an assistant or in college if it seems like he was considered for an NFL head spot.

Word down here on talk radio is that this is his second interview.

He is a finalist. Same as Lil Schot would have been.

I have a feeling they are going to hire him to keep the fans happy.

Archived