Doug Brien released

SoFlaJets

I can't believe the way DB cried on his way out the door. After missing those kicks against Pitt, did he really think he would still be in green and white? Plus, the guy can't kickoff and in non pressure situations kick a fg past 42 yards. So, long loser!

#-o

I got this info from Newsday.com:

According to salary figures compiled by the NFL Players Association, releasing Brien on June 2 as opposed to now would save the Jets about $417,000 on this year's salary cap. That's the amount of unresolved signing bonus charges that would be pushed to the 2006 cap. A $375,000 roster bonus that Brien is scheduled to receive June 3 also will be wiped away. Brien won't be at a three-day minicamp beginning tomorrow, even though the Jets won't acknowledge that he's being released.

Can someone explain why we would release Brien now and not save the cap space??? We can't be in that good shape that we can afford to just take out cap space for this year, can we? :shock:

According to salary figures compiled by the NFL Players Association, releasing Brien on June 2 as opposed to now would save the Jets about $417,000 on this year's salary cap. That's the amount of unresolved signing bonus charges that would be pushed to the 2006 cap. A $375,000 roster bonus that Brien is scheduled to receive June 3 also will be wiped away. Brien won't be at a three-day minicamp beginning tomorrow, even though the Jets won't acknowledge that he's being released.

Can someone explain why we would release Brien now and not save the cap space??? We can't be in that good shape that we can afford to just take out cap space for this year, can we? :shock:

I'd rather just eat the cap hit now than let it linger. It's not a big deal.

Besides, we'll be saving cap space when Mickens is traded.

Might as well take the cap hit now instead of next year. It's not like it goes away - it just gets deferred.

Agreed. It's bad enough that Vinny Testaverde still counts $4m against the cap this year. I would much rather get dead money off the books asap.

I think the reason is because the Jets are nice people.

Seriously.

By giving him his release, Brien gets a chance to get another job. Minnesota and Chicago are having kickers come in, and the Bears are looking for competition for Edinger. I think Tennessee is also looking for a replacement.

If Herm and Bradway keep him, what good would it do? He'd just sit around at home, as a prisoner, waiting to be released while any shot at winning a job goes by. It might also cause some uneasiness, with Nugent and the rest of the team, with his impending cut wafting around like death.

Just cut his ass and let him and the team move on.

Archived