Mel Kiper's Latest First Round Mock (Jan 25) ~ ~ ~

kelly

MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection | Jan. 25

This initial projection is based on what I've identified as key need areas for each team.

There are 16 underclassmen among my projections for the first 32 picks of the 2007 NFL draft, including two of the top three. LSU junior quarterback JaMarcuss Russell gets the nod as the first overall pick, and North Carolina State defensive tackle Tank Tyler rounds out my first-round projections as the No. 32 overall selection to Indianapolis.

1. Oakland Raiders: *JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: *Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

4. Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

5. Arizona Cardinals: *Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

6. Washington Redskins: *Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

7. Minnesota Vikings: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

8. Houston Texans: *Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

9. Miami Dolphins: *Ted Ginn, Jr., WR, Ohio St.

10. Atlanta Falcons: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

11. San Francisco 49ers: *Reggie Nelson, DB, Florida

12. Buffalo Bills: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

13. St. Louis Rams: *Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

14. Carolina Panthers: Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: *Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

16. Green Bay Packers: *Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: *Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

19. Tennessee Titans: *Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

20. New York Giants: *Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St.

21. Denver Broncos: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

22. Dallas Cowboys: *Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): *Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

:beer: 25. New York Jets: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

27. New Orleans Saints: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California

28. New England Patriots: *Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

30. San Diego Chargers: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi

31. Chicago Bears: *Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla)

32. Indianapolis Colts: Tank Tyler, DT, NC St.

> http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2742255&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d2742255

Kiper defies description. Did this dunce read about Lav C's bitching about to Camp Mangini and take it to heart? Or does he figure if we pick a wideout that can get 5 yards of separation - then maybe Chad can hit him. WR should be about the last thing on the list this year.

Dwayne Bowe will be good but I have no idea why we would draft a WR at all during day 1

I dont see it happening, but this could be the reason.

Pennington out as starter in 2007 = Coles gone, at the latest by 2008

We might need a new WR......probably not in rd 1 or rd 2 but BPA is the way to go no matter what. Not saying Bowe is the BPA but BPA trumps need.

MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection | Jan. 25

This initial projection is based on what I've identified as key need areas for each team.

There are 16 underclassmen among my projections for the first 32 picks of the 2007 NFL draft, including two of the top three. LSU junior quarterback JaMarcuss Russell gets the nod as the first overall pick, and North Carolina State defensive tackle Tank Tyler rounds out my first-round projections as the No. 32 overall selection to Indianapolis.

:beer: 25. New York Jets: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

> http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2742255&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d2742255

I honestly don't think Bowe will last till the 25th pick.

I dont see it happening, but this could be the reason.

Pennington out as starter in 2007 = Coles gone, at the latest by 2008

We might need a new WR......probably not in rd 1 or rd 2 but BPA is the way to go no matter what. Not saying Bowe is the BPA but BPA trumps need.

That is a far-fetched scenario at best and BPA certainly does not trump need, especially if the BPA is at your best position.

A WR in rd. 1? Okay Mel, why not have the Jets picking a LT and OC with their two second round picks?[-X

I think Shotty did a good job, and it would be a waste to use a draft pick on an OC...;)

We could go for a WR in round one, but as it was already said... we would need to bring in a lot of starting caliber FA's first...

if - IF we keep our current pick ( #25 in the 1st round ) we WILL select :

Darrelle Revis/CB or Aaron Ross/CB or Daymeion Hughes/CB.

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE STILL " ON THE BOARD " ; we'll probably trade down . . . :beer:

if - IF we keep our current pick ( #25 in the 1st round ) we WILL select :

Darrelle Revis/CB or Aaron Ross/CB or Daymeion Hughes/CB.

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE STILL " ON THE BOARD " ; we'll probably trade down . . . :beer:

Bet ya 10 bucks we don't...

That is a far-fetched scenario at best and BPA certainly does not trump need, especially if the BPA is at your best position.

wow are you serious? I dont think it really is farfetched, jmac.

Look how Coles is running his mouth and saying things like "Chads my guy", "I go where Chad goes", "I'd give my last breath to Chad" etc etc. Does that sound like a guy, on top of hating the training camps from Mangini, that would sit there and be quiet while his QB loses his job to a 2nd year QB from Oregon? Doubt it.

Now if you want to say Chad losing his job in 2007 is far-fetched, we can agree to disagree. But if your saying you disagree with the idea that Coles would sit and hum a sung while Chad was put to the bench, I have to say you are probably wrong.

Coles might be gone either way, sooner or later. by 2008.

Now as for BPA vs Need, that one is easy. BPA always wins out. Always take BPA (esp in the 1st rd), unless you have a COMPLETE STUD like Tomlinson or Peyton Manning or guys like Dbrick or Mangold whom you took a year earlier. In day 2, BPA is obviously the way to go even if you do have a stud at a position, esp at RB where the careers are shorter.

The Ravens have followed by this rule, and their draft records are as good as any, 1 of the best, if not the best. BPA in the 1st rd over need is the way to go. When they go hand in hand (BPA & NEED) is when its a real slam-dunk.

25. New York Jets: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

The bolded is what I'll talk about.

I like Joe Thomas as the Lions pick. I can't see them wanting one of the QB's, or Calvin Johnson. For the Lions, they need alot. Mainly, they were a poorly built team. They have nothing on either line. They're built from the outside in, and that's always a recipe for disaster. Their offensive line is one of the worst in football. Yeah, they have Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola... and that's about it. The guards they have wouldn't be suitable to back up for a high school team. And the right tackle is barely adequate. And, to top that Raiola is a poor center, in my opinion. The NFL holds him in high reguard, for whatever reason. He's undersized and almost always allows inside pressure. I'm not sure if that's because he has no guard help, or he just sucks, but the inside of the Lions line isn't that good. But, they also need defensive help in the worst way. The defensive line sucks. And, I mean sucks. And it's paper thin. Yeah, they had Cory Redding (who's a UFA) but beyond that, nothing. Well, that finished the season not on IR. On IR was B. Swancutt III DE IR Sprained left MCL I. Bashir S IR

T. Hopson G IR Knee D. Woody G IR Foot S. Bryson RB IR Knee J. Hall DE IR

B. Calhoun RB IR

S. Cody DT IR

R. Tucker G IR Knee S. Rogers DT IR Knee K. Jones RB IR Left foot B. Saipaia G IR Chest M. Bell DT IR Hand B. Stokes G IR Leg F. Bryant CB IR Concussion R. Verba G IR Groin Not the offensive injuries, because only Kevin Jones, in my opinion, was a major loss. On defense, Shaun Rogers, Shaun Cody (both starting DT's, which caused Redding's move to the inside. Redding was supposed to be the opposite DE from James Hall), James Hall, Fernando Bryant (waste of space) and Marcus Bell, were all important memebers of the defense.

And, with the talk of trading Shaun Rogers (which would be huge, because he could get a hell of a return) I think taking Alan Branch is a possibility. As is Leon Hall. But, Hall would be a luxury pick, I think, and that's something the Lions can't have, especially after crappy drafting from 2002 til 2006. In that time period, they took Harrington, Rogers, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, Mike Williams and Ernie Sims. Yeah, they went about 50% on it (Kevin Jones is hit and miss, but isn't a bust, when healthy. But, he's never healthy), but when you're drafting in the top ten every year, you can't afford to be hit and miss. Ernie Sims looks to be a great pick, after missing out on Shawne Merriman for Mike Williams. Andre Johnson for Charles Rogers. Quinten Jammer for Joey Harrington. The Lions absolutely suck at drafting. I figure they'll take Brady Quinn, because Matt Millen is an idiot.

As for the Jets pick, I don't believe they need a WR at that spot. Depending on what they get in FA, they might be at a place where they can actually take the BAP, who ever that is. They need a RT, NT, CB depth, and OL depth, in my opinion. Of course, they have the luxury of taking a skill position player too, as the problems they have can be solved in FA, which they have plenty of cap space for. Dwyane Bowe looks like a very good pick. Granted, I didn't watch alot of LSU football this year, but his stats look nice. Good YPC, 12 td's, 65 catches, 990 yards of receiving. I'm sure Troll could tell us more about him, since LSU is his team. I also like Anthony Gonzalez, from Ohio State. He could be a good number 2, after Coles leaves. That's assuming that Cotchery is the number one.

wow are you serious? I dont think it really is farfetched, jmac.

Look how Coles is running his mouth and saying things like "Chads my guy", "I go where Chad goes", "I'd give my last breath to Chad" etc etc. Does that sound like a guy, on top of hating the training camps from Mangini, that would sit there and be quiet while his QB loses his job to a 2nd year QB from Oregon? Doubt it.

Now if you want to say Chad losing his job in 2007 is far-fetched, we can agree to disagree. But if your saying you disagree with the idea that Coles would sit and hum a sung while Chad was put to the bench, I have to say you are probably wrong.

Coles might be gone either way, sooner or later. by 2008.

Now as for BPA vs Need, that one is easy. BPA always wins out. Always take BPA (esp in the 1st rd), unless you have a COMPLETE STUD like Tomlinson or Peyton Manning or guys like Dbrick or Mangold whom you took a year earlier. In day 2, BPA is obviously the way to go even if you do have a stud at a position, esp at RB where the careers are shorter.

The Ravens have followed by this rule, and their draft records are as good as any, 1 of the best, if not the best. BPA in the 1st rd over need is the way to go. When they go hand in hand (BPA & NEED) is when its a real slam-dunk.

I've gotta agree with this. BPA is the way to go. If you draft for need, you're going to be in need for a very long time. I mean... look at the Lions. The best player avalible isn't always going to be the fan favorite, either.

Archived