Johnson says Pats coach ignored LB's concussion

TaborJet

:)

Johnson says Pats coach ignored LB's concussion

NEW YORK -- Former New England Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson said coach Bill Belichick subjected him to hard hits in practice while he was recovering from a concussion -- against the advice of the team's top trainer.

Johnson, who helped the Patriots win three Super Bowl titles before retiring two years ago, told The New York Times that a collision with another player during that 2002 practice led to another concussion. And, after sustaining additional concussions over the next three seasons, he now forgets people's names, misses appointments and suffers from depression and an addiction to amphetamines.

"There's something wrong with me," Johnson, 34, told the Times in a story posted on its Web site Thursday night. "There's something wrong with my brain. And I know when it started."

The Boston Globe, which is owned by the Times, posted a similar story on its Web site.

Johnson, who played 10 years in the NFL, said he began to deteriorate in August 2002 with a concussion during an exhibition game against the New York Giants. He sustained another concussion four days later after Belichick prodded him to participate in a full-contact practice, even though he was supposed to be avoiding hits, Johnson said.

The next month, with their relationship already strained, Johnson confronted Belichick about the practice after the coach asked him to meet in his office.

"I told him, 'You played God with my health. You knew I shouldn't have been cleared to play,'" Johnson told the Globe.

Belichick told the Globe he got no cue from Johnson in practice that day that he was hesitant about participating in the full-contact drill.

"If Ted felt so strongly that he didn't feel he was ready to practice with us, he should have told me," Belichick said.

The Patriots did not allow Jim Whalen, still their head trainer, to comment for this story, according to the Globe.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James told The Associated Press on Thursday night that the team was aware of the report but was not prepared to comment.

In a story last month, the Times reported that brain damage caused on the football field ultimately led to the suicide of former NFL defensive back Andre Waters last November, according to a forensic pathologist who studied Waters' brain tissue.

"We have been focused on the issue of concussions for years," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP. "It remains one of our prime concerns as we continue to do everything possible to protect the health of our players."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to answer questions about the issue at his annual state of the NFL news conference Friday.

Dr. Lee H. Schwamm, the neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital who examined Johnson, wrote in a memo on Aug. 19, 2002, that Johnson sustained a second concussion in that practice, the Times reported.

Schwamm also wrote that, after speaking with Whalen, the trainer "was on the sidelines when he sustained the concussion during the game and assessed him frequently at the sideline" and that "he has kept Mr. Johnson out of contact since that time."

Johnson said he spoke with Belichick the next day about the incident, but only briefly, the Times said.

"He was vaguely acknowledging that he was aware of what happened," Johnson said, "and he wanted to just kind of let me know that he knew."

Johnson sat out the next two preseason games on the advice of his neurologist but played in the final one. Then, thinking he was still going to be left off the active roster for the season opener against Pittsburgh, he angrily left camp for two days before returning and meeting with Belichick.

"It's as clear as a bell, 'I had to see if you could play,'" Johnson recalled Belichick saying, according to the Times.

Moments later, Johnson said, Belichick admitted he had made a mistake by subjecting him to a full-contact drill.

"It was a real kind of admittance, but it was only him and I in the room," Johnson told the Times.

After returning to game action, the linebacker sustained more concussions of varying severity over the following three seasons, each of them exacerbating the next, according to his current neurologist, Dr. Robert Cantu.

Cantu told the Times he was certain that Johnson's problems "are related to his previous head injuries, as they are all rather classic postconcussion symptoms."

He added, "They are most likely permanent."

Cantu, the chief of neurosurgery and director of sports medicine at Emerson Hospital in Concord, Mass., also said Johnson shows signs of early Alzheimer's disease.

"The majority of those symptoms relentlessly progress over time," Cantu said. "It could be that at the time he's in his 50s, he could have severe Alzheimer's symptoms."

Johnson told the Globe he estimates he had at least six concussions in his last three seasons but reported only one because he already had a reputation as an injury-prone player and he didn't want to make it worse.

"Looking back, it was stupid not to tell anyone," Johnson said. "But I didn't know then that every time you have a concussion, you are four to six times more susceptible the next time. I had no idea the damage I was causing myself."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, spoke in general terms about concussions at a news conference Thursday in Miami, where the Super Bowl will be played Sunday.

"If a coach or anyone else is saying, 'You don't have a concussion, you get back in there,' you don't have to go, and you shouldn't go," Upshaw said, not speaking about Johnson's case specifically. "You know how you feel. That's what we tried to do throughout the years, is take the coach out of the decision-making. It's the medical people that have to decide."

Upshaw told the AP that concussions are one of the issues the union is examining this year.

"We've seen a number of concussions in the NFL this year, and as a result of our studies, we've seen a change in the helmet. We're also studying the effects of that on concussions," Upshaw said.

And Johnson also was involved in a domestic dispute with his wife shortly after his retirement. The fallout was so bad (Johnson has/had a spectacular rep in the area) that the couple hired a publicist to smooth things over via the press. The Johnson's are now going through a "bitter" divorce in the courts.

To me, and this is speculation, Johnson has a lot on his plate right now. His health - which quite frankly, he is more responsible for than his coach - and spousal and child support. This helps his case in the public court, no?

Also, the Times - which owns the Globe - which owns the Red Sox - HATE the Patriots and their standing in the New England fan's heart.

I feel badly for the guy. Memory loss at such a young age must be scary. But one must take responsibility for ones own actions. If you don't tell people how badly you are hurt, they can't be held accountable.

Why has society made it okay for people to never take blame for their own actions anymore?

And Johnson also was involved in a domestic dispute with his wife shortly after his retirement. The fallout was so bad (Johnson has/had a spectacular rep in the area) that the couple hired a publicist to smooth things over via the press. The Johnson's are now going through a "bitter" divorce in the courts.

To me, and this is speculation, Johnson has a lot on his plate right now. His health - which quite frankly, he is more responsible for than his coach - and spousal and child support. This helps his case in the public court, no?

Also, the Times - which owns the Globe - which owns the Red Sox - HATE the Patriots and their standing in the New England fan's heart.

I feel badly for the guy. Memory loss at such a young age must be scary. But one must take responsibility for ones own actions. If you don't tell people how badly you are hurt, they can't be held accountable.

Why has society made it okay for people to never take blame for their own actions anymore?

Wow. That is one TREMENDOUS spin job. You should work for the Bush administration.

Johnson told the Globe he estimates he had at least six concussions in his last three seasons but reported only one because he already had a reputation as an injury-prone player and he didn't want to make it worse.

"Looking back, it was stupid not to tell anyone," Johnson said. "But I didn't know then that every time you have a concussion, you are four to six times more susceptible the next time. I had no idea the damage I was causing myself."

Obviously Teddy is not the brightest guy around. Not only did he play the 2002 season he also played in 2003 and 2004 before retiring during training camp in 2005.

Why is this story coming out now?

If some dumb broad can get millions for spilling coffee on herself at McDonalds, what do you think he can get from the Pats/NFL?

In NY it would probably be too late to sue for that. That McDonald's broad gets a bum rap. That award was substantially reduced before she saw a cent. She got the big award because she had horrific burns to her lap. IIRC she needed a "lip-ectomy." The reason for all the money was because McDonald's had a world wide policy to keep the coffee excessively hot to save money on "free re-fills."

Very interesting that all of this comes out after he lobbied for the Patriots to bring him back. Maybe he was hoping to get back on the team to get one last concussion and help his chances at a lawsuit. Too bad, he was one of my favorite Patriots.

hmmm.....you think this is why Johnson and his wife got into a fist fight over the his and her prescription pills? Or maybe it's 'roid withdrawal? I used to like him as a player.....now he can go screw himself. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS!

hmmm.....you think this is why Johnson and his wife got into a fist fight over the his and her prescription pills? Or maybe it's 'roid withdrawal? I used to like him as a player.....now he can go screw himself. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS!

So anyone with head ailments is on 'roids?

Paging Mr Bruschi....

So anyone with head ailments is on 'roids?

Paging Mr Bruschi....

No, not at all. I was referring to the numerous injuries to his upper arm muscle - whatever that is called. Twice, it snapped and rolled up like a cheap window shade (remember that quote from a newspaper article). Usually those things happen when a muscle is TOO big right?

Now I know Bruschi has a big head - but I hardly think it's 'roids. That said, I'm not naive enough to think Steriod use does not happen in the NFL. Just ask Shawn Merriman.

No, not at all. I was referring to the numerous injuries to his upper arm muscle - whatever that is called. Twice, it snapped and rolled up like a cheap window shade (remember that quote from a newspaper article). Usually those things happen when a muscle it TOO big right?

Now I know Bruschi has a big head - but I hardly think it's 'roids. That said, I'm not naive enough to think Steriod use does not happen in the NFL. Just ask Shawn Merriman.

Lights out, baby.

Cantu, the chief of neurosurgery and director of sports medicine at Emerson Hospital in Concord, Mass., also said Johnson shows signs of early Alzheimer's disease.

"The majority of those symptoms relentlessly progress over time," Cantu said. "It could be that at the time he's in his 50s, he could have severe Alzheimer's symptoms."

It's just really so sad. I'm glad it's being talked about though because people really do need to be educated about this.

I talked to my son about this the other day. I told him that if he ever feels that he "got his bell rung" to take himself out, no matter how much he wants to play. Of course he gave me that "what do you think I am, stupid?" look. :) But I'm still glad I said it.

So you root for him when he is literally destroying his body to win football games, but want him to F*** off when he demonstrates the effect that those games had on him. Putting the responsibility on an athlete with a non guarenteed contract to take himslef out of a game or practice is foolish. How you could take mumbles side on this proves how much of a homer you really are.

Then answer me why when Junior Seau went down - Johnson called BB to tell him he wants to come out of retirement and play? Answer why he was fired from his Sunday nite sports gig because he wasn't showing up on calling in sick? Just went MIA? Or how about when he was fired as a semi-regular co-host on a sports radio talk show for not showing up? Or, how about his confession to being addicted to amphetamines? R you seriously going to tell me that depression and money woes have nothing to do with this? Trainers give the okay for players to play. So, during practice he went from a Red, non-contact shirt, to a blue contact shirt (just heard it on WEEI) - because the TRAINER gave the okay.

Christ, piss all over BB all you want for his infidelities and his treatment of teh Jets - but r u saying that BB played Johnson on purpose? Then why put Seau on IR when he was healthy by regular season year end? Or, why not shoot up Rodney, who was practicing - who he surely could have used against the Colts? Because it is the Pats and because it is BB - you all jump on the wagon. Players play with concussions all the time in the NFL- it is their decision. Ask Wayne Chrebet.

Then answer me why when Junior Seau went down - Johnson called BB to tell him he wants to come out of retirement and play? Answer why he was fired from his Sunday nite sports gig because he wasn't showing up on calling in sick? Just went MIA? Or how about when he was fired as a semi-regular co-host on a sports radio talk show for not showing up? Or, how about his confession to being addicted to amphetamines? R you seriously going to tell me that depression and money woes have nothing to do with this? Trainers give the okay for players to play. So, during practice he went from a Red, non-contact shirt, to a blue contact shirt (just heard it on WEEI) - because the TRAINER gave the okay.

Christ, piss all over BB all you want for his infidelities and his treatment of teh Jets - but r u saying that BB played Johnson on purpose? Then why put Seau on IR when he was healthy by regular season year end? Or, why not shoot up Rodney, who was practicing - who he surely could have used against the Colts? Because it is the Pats and because it is BB - you all jump on the wagon. Players play with concussions all the time in the NFL- it is their decision. Ask Wayne Chrebet.

Word.

If Johnson was a 6th round pick trying to make the team, that would be one thing, but he was an almost 10 year vet. Not trying to make light of his situation, but he is his best advocate. I am pretty sure the Union would come to his defense if the Patriots tried anything (i.e. cut and/or suspend). If he had almost 30 concussions as he suggested, that suggests he 'sucked' it up quite a few times to stay on the field.

Word.

If Johnson was a 6th round pick trying to make the team, that would be one thing, but he was an almost 10 year vet. Not trying to make light of his situation, but he is his best advocate. I am pretty sure the Union would come to his defense if the Patriots tried anything (i.e. cut and/or suspend). If he had almost 30 concussions as he suggested, that suggests he 'sucked' it up quite a few times to stay on the field.

Mumbles doesn't give a sh*t about anybody but his next pick of arse.

He may go down as a HOF coach but as a person he is despicable and i'm sure if there is a hell, he will be right there in his hoodie toasting marshmellows.

He may go down as a HOF coach but as a person he is despicable and i'm sure if there is a hell, he will be right there in his hoodie toasting marshmellows.

Johnson played 10 seasons in the NFL. 5 of those season were under Parcells (2) & Carroll (3). The other 5 were under Belichick.

Ted leads us to believe that he never suffered a concussion while playing under Parcells or Carroll. Everything went bad playing under BB.

If that was the case why did he play the 2002, 2003 & 2004 seasons after supposedly being told to practice by BB in training camp in 2002 when he wasn't ready?

The guys personal life is in chaos as is his financial situation. He had a media gig after retiring from the Pats and screwed that up.

I liked the guy as a player but I think he is now looking for one last payday by going after one of the most successful organizations in the NFL.

He was there. He decided to leave. That was why he was "HC of the NYJ" for only a day.

Again, a player, whom I might add, had his payday, is his own best advocate. I am sure Belichick is culpable to the point all of Chrebet's coaches were that they knew the situation and saw the player wanted to play and let him. I am sure there are coaches that would bench him but they probably do not number more then 5.

This is just further proof that Belichick is scum. He should have never have made Ted Johnson go in there after the training staff did not clear him to practice. If Ted was suffering from a knee or arm injury then maybe it wouldn't be so bad putting him in practice and games because those type of injuries heal themselves. But you can't take the risk of putting a player back in when he has a head injury like a concussion because brain cells don't regenerate and heal by themselves.

This is just further proof that Belichick is scum. He should have never have made Ted Johnson go in there after the training staff did not clear him to practice. If Ted was suffering from a knee or arm injury then maybe it wouldn't be so bad putting him in practice and games because those type of injuries heal themselves. But you can't take the risk of putting a player back in when he has a head injury like a concussion because brain cells don't regenerate and heal by themselves.

Johnson told the Globe he estimates he had at least six concussions in his last three seasons but reported only one

So when Johnson doesn't tell BB that he has a concussion it is the Coaches fault?

PFSIKH made a great point earlier about Chrebet. Did Parcells, Groh and Herm overlook the face that Wayne wasn't ready to play but then did?

Get of your high horse mate. This isn't a Patriot problem it is an NFL problem

Players put burden on Johnson, selves

By John Tomase

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Saturday, February 3, 2007 - Updated: 08:31 AM EST

MIAMI - Far from embracing a fallen comrade, current and former players yesterday said that if anyone is to blame for Ted Johnson playing with multiple concussions, it

Archived