One thing should be clear...

RichardSeymour

One of the dominant memes around here in recent offseasons has been, "this is the year that the Jets overtake the Pats." Alongside this has been the ongoing, "the Pats window has closed" arguments.

The Pats decisive movement in FA should, I believe, blow both of these out of the water.

Now that's not to say that the Jets won't overtake the Pats, or that the Pats might not abruptly falter and find themselves on the outside looking in in terms of contending for an SB.

But when someone says, "this is the year the Jets overtake the Pats", the implication is that the Jets will probably do so. That a Jets divisional win is more likely than a Patriots divisional win.

The Pats came within a few plays of making the superbowl last year. They retained their #1 free agent (Samuel), and now it appears that they will add a very high quality #3 WR to fill the Chrebet/Troy Brown role, in addition to adding a premier "elephant" LB in FA. They also have two 1st round draft picks.

The Jets will contend for the division title this year, of that there's little doubt. But on balance there is no reason to expect the Pats to be weaker this year, and no reason to believe that their window is closed.

So can we can all that talk until next offseason, kids?

No.

The game is played on the field. Not on paper in March.

I, for one, am not impressed by what the Patriots did. They paid a good player like he is a great player. Thomas is good. He's not great.

No.

I, for one, am not impressed by what the Patriots did. They paid a good player like he is a great player. Thomas is good. He's not great.

Actually have you it backwards. They paid a great player like he's good.

Perish the thought. Would you send Shakespeare to the gulag? Would you send Leonardo da Vinci to Alcatraz?

I hope that you're joking. TX is this board's best and brightest.

its true...TX has gone the way of Brady's masculinity

(note:i realize he's got a bun in the oven of an actress and is "canoodling" around europe with a victoria's secret model,Its just a joke)

Actually have you it backwards. They paid a great player like he's good.

No, I had it correct. I have seen the guy play many, many times. I expect him to be good with the Patriots. They should make the playoffs again. I'd say that even if Thomas went to SF.

I did not want the Jets to sign Thomas at the projected numbers.

No, I had it correct. I have seen the guy play many, many times. I expect him to be good with the Patriots. They should make the playoffs again. I'd say that even if Thomas went to SF.

I did not want the Jets to sign Thomas at the projected numbers.

37 million? They STOLE him.

No.

The Jets have been threats to win the division, to varying degrees, every year since 2003.

When people say, "this is the year the Jets surpass the Patriots" they imply likelihood, because obviously in ANY year they could surpass the Patriots.

Does anyone here think that the Jets are more likely to win the division than the Patriots right now? Or that such will probably be true by the end of the offseason?

The Patriots will be the favorites on opening day to win the division, and they should be. That doesn't mean they will.

The Jets have been threats to win the division, to varying degrees, every year since 2003.

When people say, "this is the year the Jets surpass the Patriots" they imply likelihood, because obviously in ANY year they could surpass the Patriots.

Does anyone here think that the Jets are more likely to win the division than the Patriots right now? Or that such will probably be true by the end of the offseason?

The Patriots will be the favorites on opening day to win the division, and they should be. That doesn't mean they will.

It is really too early to tell. Besides A Thomas one could argue the Pats have downgraded so far this free agency period. Either way it is too early to tell.

They'll be favorites going into the season, yep. But...so was Carolina, Washington, and Miami last year. You can even count Denver in there as well, or perhaps the Giants, even though they somehow managed to make the playoffs. This time of year really means nothing, but i will give you this much: for now, the patriots are the favorites.

It is really way too early to make predictions. It's even too early to make playoff predictions in September.

Let's just go back to last September. Let's think back to what we thought about the Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Steelers, Rams, Saints, and Panthers.

If you wish to crown the Patriots the 2007 AFC East champions right now here on March 4th, be my guest.

They'll be favorites going into the season, yep. But...so was Carolina, Washington, and Miami last year. You can even count Denver in there as well, or perhaps the Giants, even though they somehow managed to make the playoffs. This time of year really means nothing, but i will give you this much: for now, the patriots are the favorites.

Right.

I'm not saying the Jets can't win or won't win. I'm not even saying that they might not have a "very good chance" to win.

I'm just saying that the Patriots should be the favorites right now to win the division.

It is really way too early to make predictions. It's even too early to make playoff predictions in September.

Let's just go back to last September. Let's think back to what we thought about the Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Steelers, Rams, Saints, and Panthers.

If you wish to crown the Patriots the 2007 AFC East champions right now here on March 4th, be my guest.

I'll bet $50 even money that the Pats will win the AFC East against $50 that the Jets will win the AFC East with any Jets fan here who is a true "old timer" (ie. guys like Max, GJ&H, GOB, etc who I "know" well enough to trust). Bills or Phins win = no money changes hands.

No one should take that bet. It's a "good bet" on my part and most here know it.

if people truly felt that "this is the year that the Jets overtake the Patriots", they'd take the bet. I doubt anyone will, because while most here (correctly) think the jets might do so, few think they will.

I'll also bet similar terms that the Colts win their division, for instance. Not that I'm hating on the Jags, I just think, gosh, the Colts SHOULD be the favorites.

I'll bet $50 even money that the Pats will win the AFC East against $50 that the Jets will win the AFC East with any Jets fan here who is a true "old timer" (ie. guys like Max, GJ&H, GOB, etc who I "know" well enough to trust). Bills or Phins win = no money changes hands.

No one should take that bet. It's a "good bet" on my part and most here know it.

if people truly felt that "this is the year that the Jets overtake the Patriots", they'd take the bet. I doubt anyone will, because while most here (correctly) think the jets might do so, few think they will.

I'll also bet similar terms that the Colts win their division, for instance. Not that I'm hating on the Jags, I just think, gosh, the Colts SHOULD be the favorites.

I'll bet someone 50 bucks that the pats win the division too.

One of the dominant memes around here in recent offseasons has been, "this is the year that the Jets overtake the Pats." Alongside this has been the ongoing, "the Pats window has closed" arguments.

The Pats decisive movement in FA should, I believe, blow both of these out of the water.

Now that's not to say that the Jets won't overtake the Pats, or that the Pats might not abruptly falter and find themselves on the outside looking in in terms of contending for an SB.

But when someone says, "this is the year the Jets overtake the Pats", the implication is that the Jets will probably do so. That a Jets divisional win is more likely than a Patriots divisional win.

The Pats came within a few plays of making the superbowl last year. They retained their #1 free agent (Samuel), and now it appears that they will add a very high quality #3 WR to fill the Chrebet/Troy Brown role, in addition to adding a premier "elephant" LB in FA. They also have two 1st round draft picks.

The Jets will contend for the division title this year, of that there's little doubt. But on balance there is no reason to expect the Pats to be weaker this year, and no reason to believe that their window is closed.

Not sure if you have read anything here in the past 10 months. But that is not what all the talk has been about.

The Pats are the champs. You beat the champ when you knock him out.

We are all well aware of this. That being said they are a Tom Brady injury away from being 8 and 8. Regardless of what they do this offseason.

I will bet you $50 that the Jets win the division.

Yeah, that's the way I roll. Even money. I could get better odds elsewhere I know this. But $50 it is.

So is every other team. Thats our plan this year? Hope that brady gets hurt?

Mike -- just curious, at some point will you stop whining about the 1st 2 days of free agency?

What is their plan you ask? I don't know it. And you know what, that is a good thing. If Herm was here we would all know the plan. The plan, the plan, the plan you ask? You have to have a plan. The key to the plan is planning. My father always had a plan.

Seriously -- let this play out before ripping them to shreds. They had a good season. They are building for the future. Wait until at least the draft before you declare it a failure.

Mike -- just curious, at some point will you stop whining about the 1st 2 days of free agency?

What is their plan you ask? I don't know it. And you know what, that is a good thing. If Herm was here we would all know the plan. The plan, the plan, the plan you ask? You have to have a plan. The key to the plan is planning. My father always had a plan.

Seriously -- let this play out before ripping them to shreds. They had a good season. They are building for the future. Wait until at least the draft before you declare it a failure.

They obviously will get every benefit of the doubt from me in the draft. I just expected some of this excess cap room they had to be used on players who would make this team better and the fact that it hasn't happened makes me frustrated...

I actually don't see the Patriots as a threat this year.

I think the Bills will be the Jets biggest competition. The Pats have no swagger anymore. They are pretty much the Redskins with Tom Brady and Belichick.

I remember when Edgerton Hartwell was the Raven Linebacker that was "the perfect fit". Today, Edgerton Hartwell sits cut on the FA floor.

This is not to say that Thomas is not a very good player and will be a great fit.

But, these belles of the balls in the free agent class have a way of turning into quick pumpkins. Projecting free agents and their ultimate contribution to winning has been a formula that has not worked in teh NFL. For various reasons.

Yeah, yeah, I know, but Adelius Thomas was the best free agent. History shows us that should make us pass faster.

Not sure if you have read anything here in the past 10 months. But that is not what all the talk has been about.

The Pats are the champs. You beat the champ when you knock him out.

We are all well aware of this. That being said they are a Tom Brady injury away from being 8 and 8. Regardless of what they do this offseason.

yea I was scratching my head too Max-I know RS hasn't been around much and all but I guess he hasn't even been just reading the site .If he had he would have noticed there has NOT been a lot of that we're gonna overtake NE stuff-well at least since Tex was banished

I believe Mike has set the record for Friday thru Sunday posts.

It's a good signing.

We'll see where these teams are at the beginning of the season.

Archived