Matt Shaub to Texans

rickycnote

wow this is a big trade, i think shcaub is good but extremely overrated, hes never won a game and has around a 70 career passer rating, i think he could work in houston but i dont see thatmuch of an upgrade over carr

He deserves a chance to start. Lets hope that he's nothing great sense he's in the AFC now though.

wow this is a big trade, i think shcaub is good but extremely overrated, hes never won a game and has around a 70 career passer rating, i think he could work in houston but i dont see thatmuch of an upgrade over carr

I agree. Where will Carr end up now? Also, now Falcons are stuck with Vick it looks like.

Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans Click here to find out more!

Adam Schefter By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

Wow. Very surprising move. Obviously the Texans weren't all that impressed with Brady Quinn or they didn't want to throw all their eggs into one basket on another 1st round pick. Either way, it should be interesting to see if they ship out Carr (which is most likely seeing as they like Rosenfels).

David Carr is the next Joey Harrington... a QB who everyone thought had what it takes, get traded, never starts again.

Completely different situation. Carr has more talent, makes less mistakes and has played behind a HORRIBLE offensive line with no running game for his entire career. Yeah, Joey didn't have much of a running game either but everything on offense starts with the 5 uglies up front.

Carr will catch on somewhere as a back-up at first but he will start again somewhere in this league. Heck, trade him to Cleveland, he'd start there from Day 1, he'd easily unseat Charlie Frye & Derek Anderson.

Surprised by this, I think its a good move on the part of the Texans, you get competition and a possible young starting QB while the falcons now have a big question mark at backup QB and you have an inconsistant at best starter whose aggressive style leaves him very injury prone...

Strange

they were going to lose him next year anyway and get nothing in return (they never would franchise a backup QB)

In exchange for Matt Schaub, FoxSports.com reports that Houston will send a 2007 second-round pick, a 2008 second-round pick, and swap positions (No. 8 for No. 10) in the first round of this year's draft.

In exchange for Matt Schaub, FoxSports.com reports that Houston will send a 2007 second-round pick, a 2008 second-round pick, and swap positions (No. 8 for No. 10) in the first round of this year's draft.

Atlanta got some good value for him. And if petrino is working closely with Vick, he could really improve a lot by next season.

David Carr >> Joey Harrington >> Chad Pennington

Harrington doesnt even have a team... forget a starting NFL job... he is out of it...

People say Carr has loads of talent but he hasnt proven ****... Chad didnt have the best year in 06' but he helped lead a team with not great talent to 10-6...

Will you still feel this way if Chad is the only one of those three to have a starting job in 07? Becuase its shaping up that way...

Harrington doesnt even have a team... forget a starting NFL job... he is out of it...

People say Carr has loads of talent but he hasnt proven ****... Chad didnt have the best year in 06' but he helped lead a team with not great talent to 10-6...

Will you still feel this way if Chad is the only one of those three to have a starting job in 07? Becuase its shaping up that way...

Yes...because he deserves to be jobless like these other 2 losers.

Carr does have an arm and Jets OL is far better than Texans POS line. If Carr released Jets should jump on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carr does have an arm and Jets OL is far better than Texans POS line. If Carr released Jets should jump on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would trade Clemens for Carr right now and let carr beat out Pennyboy!

Carr will come cheap due to contract

trading for clemens for carr is silly. but i would try to sign him if the texans release, I wouldn't trade more then a 6th rounder for him. Maybe a player to trade for him.

It is not silly, Carr with Schotty and a much better OL and running game(jones/leon) would be a good fit

I am doubting whether Clemens can beat out a QB with a macaroni arm. Carr has got a legit gun, while chad's just shoots caps

I would take David Carr over Chad Pennington on our offense anyday. In Houston, wow, Carr missed 4 games I believe in 5 years. Chad would've played in 4 games in 5 years with that Offensive Line.

I would love to see Carr brought in but I doubt it will happen.

Archived