Panthers willing to trade Jenkins

BP

Panthers willing to trade Jenkins

PAT YASINSKAS

The Carolina Panthers have told other teams Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kris Jenkins could be available in a trade.

According to multiple personnel sources from other teams, it has been made clear the Panthers would be willing to trade Jenkins if the price is right.

When asked if Jenkins was on the trading block Friday afternoon, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney declined comment. The Panthers have a long-standing policy of not commenting on potential personnel moves.

Jenkins and his agent weren't available for comment Friday.

Talk around the league about Jenkins' availability has been growing stronger since the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix in March.

If the Panthers were to make a deal, it's likely they would want an extra pick in the upcoming NFL draft as compensation. It's unclear which teams might be interested, but plenty have been told of the potential for a deal.

Jenkins, who has a salary-cap figure of about $4.5 million for this season and is under contract through 2009, was named to his third Pro Bowl last season. It capped a triumphant comeback after he missed most of 2004 and 2005 with shoulder and knee injuries. Jenkins could be expendable because the Panthers have depth at defensive tackle.

Ma'ake Kemoeatu was a high-priced free agent signing last year and fills the same type of run-stuffer role as Jenkins. Damione Lewis, another free-agent pickup, spent last season as the top backup, but was a starter earlier in his career and could return to that role. Jordan Carstens, a part-time starter while Jenkins was injured, has signed the restricted free agent tender for this season.

Jenkins was a second-round pick in 2001 and went to the Pro Bowl after the 2002 and '03 seasons. His weight has been an issue. The coaching staff likes Jenkins to play at about 340 pounds, but he has weighed more than that at times -- he has said he approached 400 pounds while sitting out during the injuries.

At the owner meetings, coach John Fox said Jenkins had not taken part in the first two weeks of the team's offseason training program, which began in March.

Jenkins has a clause in his contract that pays him a $175,000 bonus if he takes part in a specified number of the workouts.

link

He's a big boy and I guess Carolina is fed up with what it seems like babying him to keep his weight down.

Get him here, tell him to get his weight up.

semi sarcastic, but with the lack of NTs available its an interesting thought.

I'd take him in a second for a 6th round pick and if they can get him to re-work his deal. You know our front office will be dealing for picks before and/or during the draft if last year was any indication of their strategy so they will probably have more than their current 6 picks anyway. Then they need to get D-Rob to re-do his deal and we can have a nice platoon situation there. Jenkins is a beast but there is a lot that would have to be done to make this deal work for the Jets financially. I only want him if they can work all this crap out which is unlikely.

I say snag him for cheap try to whip him into shape a little... if he can play football well and be fat enough to be the run stuffer we need... who the hell cares if he can make it through camp or not... we just need him out there for 50% of the plays... split time with him and Drob...

Oh man, I hope the FO takes a serious look at this guy. I have been hoping a miracle will happen and the gaping hole in the middle of the Jets D gets plugged.

Maybe the Panthers will take a third round pick.:headbang:

A 3rd is way to much for him. More like a 5th or 6th.

He's 30, fat, lazy and has a history of injuries.

I would like to see him get a chance, but I doubt Tangini will even look at him.

I would like to see him get a chance, but I doubt Tangini will even look at him.

I don't think a third rounder is too much to give up for a Pro Bowl DT that has the size to play in a 3-4, I think that the Panthers will want more than a third round pick though.

He's 27, not 30. He obviously isn't lazy on the field, just look at his numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235221

4 complete seasons out of 6 I don't think is enough to label him as injury prone, He is certainly healthy now. I say get this guy here, a DT with the size and skill to play in a 3-4 is too rare to pass up right now.

He also has been an all-pro and regarded by football people as the finest NT in football when healthy. Can you please tell us where you got the inside info on him being lazy? Oh, yes, he couldn't workout when he was injured and his weight ballooned. Well guess what? He lost that weight and became an all-pro again for the thrid time! Facts are facts!

1) He isn't fat or lazy.

2) He struggled from Injuries, when he played he was the best DT in the game.

he was never the best DT in the game, he was really good, but not the best. anyway, who cares about the past if he cannot repeat it here. He'll get a good payday out of a dan snyder type team, he won't be a jet though.

• 1 month later...

From KFFL:

Panthers | Jenkins still on market

Thu, 24 May 2007 12:25:13 -0700

Charles Chandler, of the Charlotte Observer, reports agent Drew Rosenhaus said he believes Carolina Panthers DT Kris Jenkins is still on the trading block and can be had for the right price. General manager Marty Hurney said there have been no discussions about Jenkins.

Looks like they are asking too much, and with Drew as his agent, it is not likely he would re-structure. But, with the cap room and his potential, why not take a shot? I certainly would not give up the farm, but I think he would be the missing link on defense. Honestly, a run stuffing NT is the only missing piece IMO...

We don't need a Defensive Tackle, the Giants do.

Really????

Fitch, Zarnell DT 6'2" 306 07/6/1983 1 Texas Christian

95 McChesney, Matt DT 6'04" 307 11/6/1981 2 Colorado

95 Mosley, C.J. DT 6'02" 314 08/6/1983 3 Missouri

91 Pouha, Sione NT 6'03" 325 02/3/1979 2 Utah

63 Robertson, Dewayne DT 6'01'' 317 10/16/1981 5 Kentucky

Unless you think the Jets can now rely on P-P-P-P Pouha Power, they need to invest in a run stuffing (true) NT to spell D-Rob in obvious runsituations; however, Jenkins would allow for far more than that if he could get into shape and produce. Big if, big reward...

Really????

Fitch, Zarnell DT 6'2" 306 07/6/1983 1 Texas Christian

95 McChesney, Matt DT 6'04" 307 11/6/1981 2 Colorado

95 Mosley, C.J. DT 6'02" 314 08/6/1983 3 Missouri

91 Pouha, Sione NT 6'03" 325 02/3/1979 2 Utah

63 Robertson, Dewayne DT 6'01'' 317 10/16/1981 5 Kentucky

Unless you think the Jets can now rely on P-P-P-P Pouha Power, they need to invest in a run stuffing (true) NT to spell D-Rob in obvious runsituations; however, Jenkins would allow for far more than that if he could get into shape and produce. Big if, big reward...

You'd have better luck arguing with a corpse...better conversation at least. I agree 100 fold, we need a DT, or a big RE. any good 34 defense have studs up front, and we do not have that.

Who can honestly tell me that in that final stretch of games that Dwayne Robertson didn't come up strong. He played great for the last 8 weeks and I think that can easily stretch into this year. He's fine, we don't need to replace him.

We do need a big RE though.

Who can honestly tell me that in that final stretch of games that Dwayne Robertson didn't come up strong. He played great for the last 8 weeks and I think that can easily stretch into this year. He's fine, we don't need to replace him.

We do need a big RE though.

A NT does not play every snap... who will be covering for Drob when he cant breathe in a key moment?

A NT does not play every snap... who will be covering for Drob when he cant breathe in a key moment?

Okay, so that means we need a guy that can come in and give D-rob a breather, is that really worth paying out of the a$$ for a Kris Jenkins, we could just go to the nearest Mikky-D's and sign the biggest fattest slob there.

Okay, so that means we need a guy that can come in and give D-rob a breather, is that really worth paying out of the a$$ for a Kris Jenkins, we could just go to the nearest Mikky-D's and sign the biggest fattest slob there.

We will also need someone next season when Drobs salary become gigantic... why not get them in here now to compete for the job?

Drob will most likely be cut or traded next season... unless he plays well all year and reworks his deal...

Drob is getting about 4.5 million this season... and will be at almost 9 million next season...

The fattest slob at Mikky-D's hasnt been the pro bowl.....and what happens if (Knock on wood) Drob goes down for any time, who backs him up?

The fattest slob at Mikky-D's hasnt been the pro bowl.....and what happens if (Knock on wood) Drob goes down for any time, who backs him up?

Have we given Sione Pouha a shot yet?

BTW, if we do in fact sign Kris Jenkins we should try D-Rob at DE..

It is worth it. having to good NT/DT is very difficult. Mangini could do all sorts of things with this line up. put d-rob and jenkins next to each other, for more of a 43 look, sub them in and out at NT for the 34 look.

Next to QB, and CB, NT could be the hardest position to fill with a good-great player.

Archived