Aaron Ross will be a New York Jet

You aren't getting a no 1 corner at 25 most times...

It can happen and in this draft there will be guys available who have that potential. Houston has a somewhat reasonable chance to fall and he's got #1 potential and isn't a project. Wright will be available till early 2nd round most likely and he's got #1 potential and isn't a project. McCauley's a bit of a project but obviously has #1 potential if he can get back to his junior form.

Those are just some of the more NFL ready players that could be available at 25 (not saying Wright or McCauley are worth a 1st rounder though).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It can happen and in this draft there will be guys available who have that potential. Houston has a somewhat reasonable chance to fall and he's got #1 potential and isn't a project. Wright will be available till early 2nd round most likely and he's got #1 potential and isn't a project. McCauley's a bit of a project but obviously has #1 potential if he can get back to his junior form.

Those are just some of the more NFL ready players that could be available at 25 (not saying Wright or McCauley are worth a 1st rounder though).

As i said, i'd take Houston. The other guys not so much.

I like Ross but he is a reach at #25. If we didn't do the Thomas Jones trade and just signed Jamal Lewis or Travis Henry we would be talking about taking Aaron Ross or Marcus McCauley at #37 right after we take Blalock or Harrell at #25.

Bottom line: we are forced to take a corner at #25 now because of the Thomas Jones trade.

As i said, i'd take Houston. The other guys not so much.

Players we have a reasonable chance at that I'd take over Ross are Houston and Wright who are both better cover corners. If we're looking for a project #1 I'd consider McCauley, Usama Young, or Courtney Brown over Ross.

Even if Ross gets a lot of work on his man coverage skills he'd probably be like 27 by the time he gets it together. That means he'd only have about 3 years, give or take, before he begins to lose his speed which is one of the most important attributes for a corner.

He's nowhere near the prospect Terrence Newman was where you can look past the age thing.

I like Ross but he is a reach at #25. If we didn't do the Thomas Jones trade and just signed Jamal Lewis or Travis Henry we would be talking about taking Aaron Ross or Marcus McCauley at #37 right after we take Blalock or Harrell at #25.

Bottom line: we are forced to take a corner at #25 now because of the Thomas Jones trade.

I wouldn't feel forced to take a CB there. Take the BAP at a need spot. Reaching for Ross won't help this team.

I wouldn't feel forced to take a CB there. Take the BAP at a need spot. Reaching for Ross won't help this team.

Exactly, with some luck McCauley will be there for our second round choice. There is no sense in reaching with the first round pick, the last thing we need is an Ahmed Carroll.

I still think Miller can and will do a great job this season.

Personally I feel that the two most important positions on defense are DT and CB. DT's occupy blockers and stuff the run. CB's are pretty much your first and last line of defense against the passing game. Everyone else is just there for support.

Look at the Ravens, Ray Lewis gets all the hype but I think Kelly Gregg, Chris McCallister and Samari Rolle are what make that defense tick.

Personally I feel that the two most important positions on defense are DT and CB. DT's occupy blockers and stuff the run. CB's are pretty much your first and last line of defense against the passing game. Everyone else is just there for support.

Look at the Ravens, Ray Lewis gets all the hype but I think Kelly Gregg, Chris McCallister and Samari Rolle are what make that defense tick.

What about a pass rusher to take the pressure off the secondary? Especially if that pass rusher is equal or better value and a better fit than Ross?

What about a pass rusher to take the pressure off the secondary? Especially if that pass rusher is equal or better value and a better fit than Ross?

I think pass rushers are a little overrated. It's nice to have guys like Michael Strahan and Julius Peppers but I will take Champ Bailey or Kelly Gregg over those guys any day of the week.

Pass Rushers get a lot of hype because all people see on the highlight reels on defense is the sack. The sack is a tangible statistic that people can hype up. A good pass rusher will get 10 sacks a year, 10 plays. A good DT will stuff 150 run plays a year and a good corner will take away a passing option for a qb 150-200 passing plays a year.

CB is a position in this draft that is extremely deep, rather deeper than any class I've seen in a while. Taking one in round 1 definetly would not be wise, as we can get another high-talent in later rounds. Such as Daymeion Hughes or the aforementioned Marcus McCauley.

Ross was an excellent cover corner last season at Texas where he started the entire season and recorded 6 interceptions, also had 3 Punt Returns for Touchdowns during his career. He's a solid tackler, solid cover corner who comes from Texas and Texas makes some very, very good defensive backs.

If the Jets go any other way except for Cornerback at 25, they will be making a tremendous mistake and Ross will most likely be the best one left. McCauley and Houston are other very good options, if Houston is still there.

It will be Greg Olson - TE MIAMI (FL) at 25 unless Bellechick's phone line in Boston gets disconected by the impending storm - then we do go Corner at 25 with Darrelle Revis - CB PITT.

We can get Eric Wright - CB UNLV at 57 (2nd round - 25th pick) should he drop.

"And that's the name of Dat tune!"

It will be Greg Olson - TE MIAMI (FL) at 25 unless Bellechick's phone line in Boston gets disconected by the impending storm - then we do go Corner at 25 with Darrelle Revis - CB PITT.

We can get Eric Wright - CB UNLV at 57 (2nd round - 25th pick) should he drop.

"And that's the name of Dat tune!"

I agree in part with what you are saying, I think we can get a CB in later rounds (2-6) i.e. Eric Wright, Daymeion Hughes, but I pray to god we don't take the underachieving, glory-holing Greg Olsen.

I don't understand some people's infatuation with a 25-year old corner that wasn't even the best corner on his ****ing college team.

Hall? Yes.

Houston? Yes.

Jackson? Yes.

Revis? Yes.

Ross? **** no.

I hear that, troll.

Why the hell does Joe like this guy? :lol:

He's 1 of the few players I really dont want the Jets to take in the 1st rd.

There are a few guys on my shortlist in terms of players I don't want the Jets to take.

1. Darrelle Revis

2. Greg Olsen

3. Aaron Ross

I agree on Ross and Olsen, but what's not to like about Revis? Is he from the South or something?;)

I agree on Ross and Olsen, but what's not to like about Revis? Is he from the South or something?;)

Hehe, na, its just that, from watching him play, I just feel that he is a little over-hyped.

I honestly never saw anything out of him that would make him worthy of the 25th pick.

Again, that's just my opinion.

I don't think the Jets absolutely need a #1 cb, but they can't get anybody that won't at least equal Barrett right off. I don't want to draft potential. Miller has #1 potential, but it's starting to look like he might not even be a decent 3rd cb. Miller < Mickens at cb.

Reading about the corners I like Revis best for us, but I'm not in love with the limited action of his I've seen. He does almost nothing on that punt return clip, but they show it every time his name is mentioned. There was a tremendous block and I don't think Revis ever even turned on the gas. Ross looks awesome in the clips I've seen, but clips are a bad way to judge players. I think the hype over him being 25 is overblown. Players lose their speed at 28? Since when? Don't any of you guys remember Darryl Green? Corners don't generally take much pounding and are capable of lasting fore-damn-near-ever. At least Ross (or Revis) should solve our punt return situation. If we draft one of them Dwight is probably on the bubble.

Not sure I agree with Peter North about pass rushers being overrated, but this D is based on getting pressure from schemes. That's part of the reason they prize versatility, so that they can rush a different player on each down and with schemes and delayed blitzes manufacturing a rush.

Justin Miller is not a good tackler and is time after time over aggressive which leads to him getting beat or grabbing onto the receiver forcing Pass Interference calls. They are two totally different players.

Aaron Ross = the smart pick. The Jets will make the smart pick because it is not the Herman Edwards era.

justin miller is one of the best hitters we have

I don't think the Jets absolutely need a #1 cb, but they can't get anybody that won't at least equal Barrett right off. I don't want to draft potential. Miller has #1 potential, but it's starting to look like he might not even be a decent 3rd cb. Miller < Mickens at cb.

Reading about the corners I like Revis best for us, but I'm not in love with the limited action of his I've seen. He does almost nothing on that punt return clip, but they show it every time his name is mentioned. There was a tremendous block and I don't think Revis ever even turned on the gas. Ross looks awesome in the clips I've seen, but clips are a bad way to judge players. I think the hype over him being 25 is overblown. Players lose their speed at 28? Since when? Don't any of you guys remember Darryl Green? Corners don't generally take much pounding and are capable of lasting fore-damn-near-ever. At least Ross (or Revis) should solve our punt return situation. If we draft one of them Dwight is probably on the bubble.

Not sure I agree with Peter North about pass rushers being overrated, but this D is based on getting pressure from schemes. That's part of the reason they prize versatility, so that they can rush a different player on each down and with schemes and delayed blitzes manufacturing a rush.

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think people feel that him being 25 coupled with the fact that he's raw in coverage makes it not worth it. If he's not ready till 27/28 and he starts to lose his speed at 30, then we've only gotten a couple good years outta him. He looks good in highlights because teams threw at him a lot and he also gambles a lot so he makes a lot of big plays. The problem with that is that he also gives up a lot of big plays. Like I said earlier if he was a guy like Newman a few years back where he's got potential and is NFL ready, then it'd be a different story and the age wouldn't be such a big deal but he's not and that's the problem. Just my take on it.

I personally like Revis and Houston and Wright because they all have a lot of potential but don't have such a ways to go in terms of coverage.

justin miller is one of the best hitters we have

Hitting does not equal tackling.

aaron ross is a justin miller clone. i would rather pick marcus mcaully

I like McCauley too, but from what I read he didn't have such a hot season last year and may be a little gun shy from the concussion. If he lasted to either of our seconds I'd jump on him, but he probably won't. It's a weird year. I'm not that high on anybody and I'm not real worried about our pick. I guess I just trust these guys a little now.

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think people feel that him being 25 coupled with the fact that he's raw in coverage makes it not worth it. If he's not ready till 27/28 and he starts to lose his speed at 30, then we've only gotten a couple good years outta him. He looks good in highlights because teams threw at him a lot and he also gambles a lot so he makes a lot of big plays. The problem with that is that he also gives up a lot of big plays. Like I said earlier if he was a guy like Newman a few years back where he's got potential and is NFL ready, then it'd be a different story and the age wouldn't be such a big deal but he's not and that's the problem. Just my take on it.

I personally like Revis and Houston and Wright because they all have a lot of potential but don't have such a ways to go in terms of coverage.

Yep. I don't necessarily think he'll lose his speed at 30, but drafting old hasn't worked out so well for us anyway. See Pouha.

• 8 months later...
Yeah, Aaron Ross sucks guys. He's horrible. :eek: Too old! :eek:

Don't take me wrong, I'm happy with Revis, but Ross played just as good, if not better, in 2007.

Ross is better than Revis. Stats-wise Revis's stats may be better but that's because the Jets defense was constantly on the field and his tackle numbers are high because our front 7 in this 3-4 scheme flat out could not stop the run.

Ross is better than Revis. Stats-wise Revis's stats may be better but that's because the Jets defense was constantly on the field and his tackle numbers are high because our front 7 in this 3-4 scheme flat out could not stop the run.

Or maybe Ross just looked good because the rest of his defense is competant.

I think Ross is good. I think Revis is better, particularly for the Jets. The Jets like to monkey around a lot in the secondary and I think Revis can adapt much more readily to different styles and systems. That's why I think they were so quick to trade up to get him. Even if Ross had a better year I don't think he's as good a fit for the Jets. FWIW, I'm not sure who picks them, but Revis made the all rookie team and Ross did not.

You said it yourself (earilier in the thread) that stats aren't a good way to judge a corner. I have seen about 5 Giants' games, and almost all the Jets game. I have to give the nod to Revis. Teams seemed to shy away from him more, yet they seemed to pick on Ross a bit. Ross did a fine just when the ball was coming to him, but Revis did an even better job in those situations.

I'm more than pleased with the Revis pick. The age is a big factor too, although ross will definatly have a good to great career.

Hopefully the son of a bitch gets a ring.

Archived