Schilling puts up 1 million bet

faba

Schilling criticizes media, offers $1 million blood bet on his blog

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }April 27, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling offered $1 million to anyone who could prove it was not blood that blotted his famous sock in the 2004 playoffs, and criticized members of the media in a blog on his personal Web site Friday.

The controversy over what stained Schilling's sock was reignited this week when Baltimore Orioles broadcaster Gary Thorne said Red Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli had told him it was paint, not blood, and that it was done for a publicity stunt.

Mirabelli called that a lie, and Thorne said Thursday he had misreported what Mirabelli said.

Still, Schilling blasted Thorne and the media in general Friday in his first public statement since Thorne's on-air comments.

Schilling was injured in Game 1 of the 2004 AL championship series against New York. Team doctors stitched a tendon in his right ankle to keep it from flopping around, and he returned to lead the Red Sox to a remarkable win in Game 6 to tie the series at 3-3. The Red Sox went on to win that series, and won the World Series for their first title since 1918.

"If you have ... the guts, grab an orthopedic surgeon, have them suture your ankle skin down to the tissue covering the bone in your ankle joint, then walk around for 4 hours," Schilling wrote on his Web site www.38pitches.com. "After that go find a mound, throw a hundred or so pitches, run over, cover first a few times. When you're done check that ankle and see if it bleeds."

Thorne did not immediately return a message Friday left with his employer, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

Schilling offered $1 million to anyone who could prove the blood on his sock was not authentic. But it's unclear where the sock is. Schilling has said he put it in the laundry; on Friday he wrote that he suspects a Yankees clubhouse employee still has it. The pitcher donated another bloodstained sock worn in Game 2 of the World Series to the Hall of Fame.

"If the blood on the sock is fake, I'll donate a million dollars to that person's charity, if not they donate that amount to (Schilling's charities for ALS research)," he wrote. "Any takers?"

Schilling also ripped several members of the national sports media for exaggerating stories based on their own insecurities and for "rolling their eyes" when he talks about his faith in God. His recommendation: "Put them all on an island somewhere.

"If you haven't figured it out by now, working in the media is a pretty nice gig," the pitcher wrote. "Barring outright plagiarism or committing a crime, you don't have to be accountable if you don't want to."

It stayed red and never turned brown like blood would after being exposed to air for that lonmg and drying up... it was clearly fake...

I want my money b*tch

Have you ever had a boo boo?

If it is still bleeding it will not dry up.

Have you ever had a boo boo?

If it is still bleeding it will not dry up.

Yes it would... not on the inside but the part that we saw sure would... and if it was still bleeding that WHOLE game there would have been much more blood than that...

Yes it would... not on the inside but the part that we saw sure would... and if it was still bleeding that WHOLE game there would have been much more blood than that...

Please show me a timed sequence of pictures from 1st inning until the 7th when he came out. If it is as red in the first as the last, you might have a point. However, one picture from sometime in a game is a little hard to buy.

I know it does not look like paint.

Please show me a timed sequence of pictures from 1st inning until the 7th when he came out. If it is as red in the first as the last, you might have a point. However, one picture from sometime in a game is a little hard to buy.

I know it does not look like paint.

It looks as though it was put on the outside of the sock... thats why it dripped and gathered at the bottom there on the outside...

Schilling criticizes media, offers $1 million blood bet on his blog

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }April 27, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling offered $1 million to anyone who could prove it was not blood that blotted his famous sock in the 2004 playoffs, and criticized members of the media in a blog on his personal Web site Friday.

The controversy over what stained Schilling's sock was reignited this week when Baltimore Orioles broadcaster Gary Thorne said Red Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli had told him it was paint, not blood, and that it was done for a publicity stunt.

Mirabelli called that a lie, and Thorne said Thursday he had misreported what Mirabelli said.

Still, Schilling blasted Thorne and the media in general Friday in his first public statement since Thorne's on-air comments.

Schilling was injured in Game 1 of the 2004 AL championship series against New York. Team doctors stitched a tendon in his right ankle to keep it from flopping around, and he returned to lead the Red Sox to a remarkable win in Game 6 to tie the series at 3-3. The Red Sox went on to win that series, and won the World Series for their first title since 1918.

"If you have ... the guts, grab an orthopedic surgeon, have them suture your ankle skin down to the tissue covering the bone in your ankle joint, then walk around for 4 hours," Schilling wrote on his Web site www.38pitches.com. "After that go find a mound, throw a hundred or so pitches, run over, cover first a few times. When you're done check that ankle and see if it bleeds."

Thorne did not immediately return a message Friday left with his employer, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

Schilling offered $1 million to anyone who could prove the blood on his sock was not authentic. But it's unclear where the sock is. Schilling has said he put it in the laundry; on Friday he wrote that he suspects a Yankees clubhouse employee still has it. The pitcher donated another bloodstained sock worn in Game 2 of the World Series to the Hall of Fame.

"If the blood on the sock is fake, I'll donate a million dollars to that person's charity, if not they donate that amount to (Schilling's charities for ALS research)," he wrote. "Any takers?"

Schilling also ripped several members of the national sports media for exaggerating stories based on their own insecurities and for "rolling their eyes" when he talks about his faith in God. His recommendation: "Put them all on an island somewhere.

"If you haven't figured it out by now, working in the media is a pretty nice gig," the pitcher wrote. "Barring outright plagiarism or committing a crime, you don't have to be accountable if you don't want to."

he could have put any blood on there, he could have pricked his finger. he is "putting up his money" b/c he knows no one will take him up on it. It sure doesn't look like blood and the blood wasn't coming out during the game so draw your own conclusions.

Haha that's funny. No Schilling started this whole thing. Not Gary Thorne. Give me a break.

Normally I wouldn't think so but Schilling is the definition of a narcisstic self-loving media whore. Fat Schill can't keep his mouth shut for more than 2 seconds.

While we are at it, let's argue the Babe's "called shot".

That actually CAN be argued against, since the umpire, third baseman, and catcher were questioned long after the fact. It was admitted that the called shot was not what the Babe actually did.

The truth was that the Babe was holding up TWO fingers, not pointing with ONE finger. Even a famous painting of the so-called "called shot" at Wrigley Field depicts this (I do not have an image of this painting readily available).

What does this mean? The Babe did NOT point to center field. He was indicating something else, according to Dr. Charles Goodwin, an Applied Linguistics Professor at UCLA:

One of the legendary moments in American baseball occurred during

the third game of the 1932 World Series when Babe Ruth, with two

strikes against him and the game tied, pointed to center field, and

then hit the next pitch to where he had pointed for a home run. The

classic version of this story has however been challenged on

numerous occasions. For example, Woody English, the captain of the

team opposing Ruth, claims that Ruth never pointed:

Babe Ruth did not call his H.R. I was playing third base that

game and he held two fingers up indicating two strike

The press indicated he pointed, which he did not — He

never said he called it. When asked, he replied “the papers

said I did.” (Martin 1996: E7, italics in original).

Both the reporters and Woody English saw exactly the same posture

assumed by Babe Ruth’s body at a crucial moment: in the midst of his

turn at bat, after having swung twice at the ball and missed, Ruth

raises his arm into the air in front of him, and extends a finger or two.

In the legend the arm with its extended fingers performs the action of

pointing toward a particular place; while for Woody English Ruth’s

hand was displaying the number two , the current strike count.

The Babe merely went along with this story because, really, who in their right minds would want to keep the reporters from writing that you CALLED a home-run? Babe may have been a smarter man than we give him credit for; this mythical occurrence stayed with him his entire career and was an excellent marketing tool for him.

What was the Babe saying to the pitcher then? Those who were there say that he stated "you're gonna get two strikes on me and that's all you're gonna get!" This would make sense, based on what was previously discussed.

Do I think this takes away from the Babe's legendary status? Absolutely not. After all, he hit the home run. In the World Series. And he did so after making the correct statement that he would only allow the pitcher (Charlie Root) to get 2 strikes on him before the Babe would do some damage. And he did.

That actually CAN be argued against, since the umpire, third baseman, and catcher were questioned long after the fact. It was admitted that the called shot was not what the Babe actually did.

The truth was that the Babe was holding up TWO fingers, not pointing with ONE finger. Even a famous painting of the so-called "called shot" at Wrigley Field depicts this (I do not have an image of this painting readily available).

What does this mean? The Babe did NOT point to center field. He was indicating something else, according to Dr. Charles Goodwin, an Applied Linguistics Professor at UCLA:

One of the legendary moments in American baseball occurred during

the third game of the 1932 World Series when Babe Ruth, with two

strikes against him and the game tied, pointed to center field, and

then hit the next pitch to where he had pointed for a home run. The

classic version of this story has however been challenged on

numerous occasions. For example, Woody English, the captain of the

team opposing Ruth, claims that Ruth never pointed:

Babe Ruth did not call his H.R. I was playing third base that

game and he held two fingers up indicating two strike

Archived