Jacob Bender

DaBrick Wall

The Jets FINALLY address O-line. Here's his info from nfldraftcountdown.com:

Height: 6-63/8 | Weight: 316 | 40-Time: 5.22

Strengths:

Has excellent size and a large frame...Very athletic...Quick and agile...Mobile with nice range...A natural knee bender...A hard worker...He could potentially play left tackle...Experienced and dominated his level...Tough and durable...Major upside.

Weaknesses:

Did not always play against top competition...Is not overpowering and his weight room strength doesn't translate to the field...Not a great technician and will need to work on mastering the finer points of the game...More of a long-term project??

Notes:

Was a three-year starter...Performed well in the Magnolia All-Star Classic...Has all the physical tools you look for and he just needs to be developed...An underrated prospect who is flying under the radar right now but could wind up being a steal.

The Jets FINALLY address O-line. Here's his info from nfldraftcountdown.com:

Yeah, I read some really complementary stuff about Bender (sorry, I can't remember where) a week or two ago. I made a note that this guy should be on the Jets wish list for a late round pick up. It's great to see it happen! Now if we can get DT Walter Thomas I'll be a happy man.

Yeah, I read some really complementary stuff about Bender (sorry, I can't remember where) a week or two ago. I made a note that this guy should be on the Jets wish list for a late round pick up. It's great to see it happen! Now if we can get DT Walter Thomas I'll be a happy man.

That's Big Foot

Everyone was expecting the 2006 Nebraska game to be the litmus test for Bender, and he came through with flying colors. Despite the team's 56-7 loss, he came up with the Colonels' only touchdown-resulting block for the game and held All-American defensive end Adam Carriker to six tackles (two solos) and one stop behind the line of scrimmage for a 1-yard loss.

For what's it's worth.

Did pretty good against Carriker who is a monster and a high talent. He's a small school guy that brings his ass every game. He's gonna need some work but I think he can jump in the rotation right away. Maybe even see some time at guard.

Everyone was expecting the 2006 Nebraska game to be the litmus test for Bender, and he came through with flying colors. Despite the team's 56-7 loss, he came up with the Colonels' only touchdown-resulting block for the game and held All-American defensive end Adam Carriker to six tackles (two solos) and one stop behind the line of scrimmage for a 1-yard loss.

For what's it's worth.

I guess that means he should be able to compete at the NFL level, at least eventually.

This guy is a great 6th round pick, he absolutely dominated the small school circuit which is his only knock. Huge sleeper pick. Adds alot of athleticism and a mean streak to the line. Good good pick.

I agree,man, I want that Thomas guy here,badly!

Well from that short read he sounds like a good prospect who in 2 or 3 years could crack the starting lineup at RT in place of Anthony Clement.

Should be interesting to see if we go Guard or another position at 235.

Well from that short read he sounds like a good prospect who in 2 or 3 years could crack the starting lineup at RT in place of Anthony Clement.

Should be interesting to see if we go Guard or another position at 235.

We are getting Walter Thomas Jets told him that if he was available with their last pick they would get him when he came in for his team visit

We are getting Walter Thomas Jets told him that if he was available with their last pick they would get him when he came in for his team visit

Maybe he said that so someone picking before the Jets would believe it and draft him.

Where did that info come from? His agent? FO types never lie to players and agents.

I thought i heard it somewhere but the more it hink about it i think it came from that day dream i had...but here is more info on him lol sorry (but they did bring him in for a visit so i can hope)

Compares To: Terdell Sands, Oakland -- Actually, Thomas is a mixture of Ted Washington, for size and ability to occupy multiple blocker; Sands, for his explosion and long reach; and Marcus Stroud, for his ability to shoot the gaps and wreak havoc in the backfield

I thought i heard it somewhere but the more it hink about it i think it came from that day dream i had...but here is more info on him lol sorry (but they did bring him in for a visit so i can hope)

Compares To: Terdell Sands, Oakland -- Actually, Thomas is a mixture of Ted Washington, for size and ability to occupy multiple blocker; Sands, for his explosion and long reach; and Marcus Stroud, for his ability to shoot the gaps and wreak havoc in the backfield

Blanton sucks. If bender is a better, more physical run blocker than clement is he should start from day 1.

True. But he'd have to be so much bettter than Clement at run blocking to overcome whatever deficiencies he has as a pass blocker. And I'm sure he's never seen an elite one, including Carriker.

My biggest disappointment with this draft, and with the offseason generally, is the failure to bring in a Guard to challenge Kendall and Moore. There were so many potential guys - many of whom slipped into the lower rounds - but the Jets shot their load on Harris.

True. But he'd have to be so much bettter than Clement at run blocking to overcome whatever deficiencies he has as a pass blocker. And I'm sure he's never seen an elite one, including Carriker.

My biggest disappointment with this draft, and with the offseason generally, is the failure to bring in a Guard to challenge Kendall and Moore. There were so many potential guys - many of whom slipped into the lower rounds - but the Jets shot their load on Harris.

They should've addressed the OG issue in free agency but they didn't. Lets hope they can after june 1st.

They should've addressed the OG issue in free agency but they didn't. Lets hope they can after june 1st.

I gotta say i agree with not having a 3rd 4th or 5th we never had a chance to grab a quality guard. I'm quite dissapointed in that, but as many of us are saying 'in mangini we trust'.

The only positive is there is more time to get a guard before the season starts.

Archived