Nick Saban's QB quits on him

Blackout

hahahaha Saban's not known as a people person, and i guess Alabama's QB just figured that out

jimmy barnes quit the team, stating he'd rather keep his dignity than play under Saban after Saban chews him out daily.

I hate Saban so much :) haha

hahahaha Saban's not known as a people person, and i guess Alabama's QB just figured that out

jimmy barnes quit the team, stating he'd rather keep his dignity than play under Saban after Saban chews him out daily.

Was is Saban that made that D-Lineman cry in the middle of practice?

Sounds like a whimp to me...

Look at the **** Mangini does to the players... he basically called out Jmac for not being in shape last summer... you know he ripped him a new one...

as a coach you have to know the line, you can be hard on them for their own good and all that but when you cross the line and they stop listening to you (tom coughlin) or literally quit on you( saban) it's time to rethink your approach. A good coach knows how hard he can push his players without having them quit on you.

as a coach you have to know the line, you can be hard on them for their own good and all that but when you cross the line and they stop listening to you (tom coughlin) or literally quit on you( saban) it's time to rethink your approach. A good coach knows how hard he can push his players without having them quit on you.

Those guys are crappy coaches... thats why the players quit...

Mangini pushes the JETS damn hard... nobody quits because he works damn hard and is a good coach...

If Saban did to Jmac what Mangini did... it would have been a different outcome...

Now look at this season... Jmac is working his ass off in the offseason...

Mangini pushes the JETS damn hard... nobody quits because he works damn hard and is a good coach...

If Saban did to Jmac what Mangini did... it would have been a different outcome...

With Mangini it works because he is not constantly dogging and throwing hissy fits on his players. He gives constructive critisizm, and during the season he only makes players that made mistakes run laps. As evidenced by the discipline the team had last year, the threat of running decreased the amount of slopiness...

that was my point, good coaches know when to push the right buttons. Yelling at people just for a power trip isn't the way to go. Mangini knows the time and the place, these other scrubs don't.

Mangini doesn't offend his players with cursing, he just pushes them enough to do better. Coaches that aren't profanity lined a la Saban never seem to win that much. Coaches like Lombardi, Dungy, Cowher and Mangini know how to manage their players with respect.

Was is Saban that made that D-Lineman cry in the middle of practice?

To be fair Jason Taylor is always crying.

With Mangini it works because he is not constantly dogging and throwing hissy fits on his players. He gives constructive critisizm, and during the season he only makes players that made mistakes run laps. As evidenced by the discipline the team had last year, the threat of running decreased the amount of slopiness...

Herm was just about the sloppiest and least disciplined coach and the just were usually among the least penalized under him.

Herm was just about the sloppiest and least disciplined coach and the just were usually among the least penalized under him.

the just? I'm assuming you meant Jets. Penalties aren't the only sign of discipline or lack their of. Discipline is also your focus on the next play, not making mistakes such as fumbles, blown coverages etc...

Jets were also one of the best in the TO ratio this past season under Mangini. And they didn't have a HOF RB to run into the ground the way Herm did and is doing.

the just? I'm assuming you meant Jets. Penalties aren't the only sign of discipline or lack their of. Discipline is also your focus on the next play, not making mistakes such as fumbles, blown coverages etc...

Jets were also one of the best in the TO ratio this past season under Mangini. And they didn't have a HOF RB to run into the ground the way Herm did and is doing.

Sorry for the typo. I agree that Mangini runs a disciplined ship. I know penalties aren't the only sign of discipline. They are a pretty good one though. IMO better than TO ratio, which is often just based on if your qb throws ints or rb fumbles. I saw enough blown coverages and people running what looked like wrong routes in '06. I attributed it to more complex schemes than lack of discipline. There is something to be said for a team being relaxed, though Herm obviously seemed to take it to the extreme.

Sorry for the typo. I agree that Mangini runs a disciplined ship. I know penalties aren't the only sign of discipline. They are a pretty good one though. IMO better than TO ratio, which is often just based on if your qb throws ints or rb fumbles. I saw enough blown coverages and people running what looked like wrong routes in '06. I attributed it to more complex schemes than lack of discipline. There is something to be said for a team being relaxed, though Herm obviously seemed to take it to the extreme.

Was Chester McGlockton's nap in the locker room (which basically went un-punished until the team released him) a sign of "discipline" under Herm?

bitonti12-17-2003, 10:05 AM

from today's Star Ledger

DT Chester McGlockton, 6-3, 340 pounds, wasn't a pretty sight sleeping and snoring on the floor in front of his locker stall yesterday. Several players were visibly annoyed.

Was Chester McGlockton's nap in the locker room (which basically went un-punished until the team released him) a sign of "discipline" under Herm?

Like I said there are different kinds of coaches. Relaxed coaches and rah rah ball busters. Herm ran a relaxed camp. Maybe it paid off in some ways. It didn't pay off with quick starts because the team often wasn't ready when camp broke. Specifically, Martin getting no carries in the preseason having a slow start and Vinny T having zero preseason snaps then having to start the season. It also ends up with the inmates running the asylum.

Making guys run laps isn't the only way to skin a cat. It'll make a guy think about his mistake, but if it takes running a lap to understand you made a mistake you're kind of lame.

I'm not defending Herm. I just care more about penalties and on the field mistakes than the kind of bull**** "discipline" guys like Coughlin mete out.

PS: You saved that quote since '03? I can barely remember McGlockton being on the team. I think Mangini and Tannenebaum are very careful about who they sign to avoid this kind of thing. I think they rely on that more than any after the fact discipline.

To be fair Jason Taylor is always crying.

He taught Manuel Wright well. :)

Saban just sounds like a flat out tryant. Football is an 'old time' sport in a Coaching regard where Coaches are the 'Sargent' of the team, but there's a fine line between hard discipline and abuse. Which isn't to excuse lack of mental toughness, but sometimes it just doesn't go over. Remember last year when Saban blamed the DOLPHINS FANS AND THEIR LACK OF SUPPORT for how badly the season was going?! Whatever, bad luck to him and to any puke past, present and future tied to that team - that I don't like, that is. I cut Bryan Cox some slack, obviously. I may give him the finger if I ever meet him, though. :)

what was alabama's record last year? what was saban's @ LSU?

You shouldn't let your hatred of Saban overcome the facts. Better

ask a Bama alum. :biggrin: Barnes father is the one mentioning his sons dignity. What's he suppose to say? My son's a candy a$$. Barnes was strickly a backup last year and was going to be the same this year. John Parker Wilson was and is the starting QB for the Tide. With McElroy waiting in the wings Barnes would have been hard pressed to remain #2. Barnes is transferring so he can get a shot at being a starting QB. It happens all the time in college ball and is no big deal really.

You shouldn't let your hatred of Saban overcome the facts. Better

ask a Bama alum. :biggrin: Barnes father is the one mentioning his sons dignity. What's he suppose to say? My son's a candy a$$. Barnes was strickly a backup last year and was going to be the same this year. John Parker Wilson was and is the starting QB for the Tide. With McElroy waiting in the wings Barnes would have been hard pressed to remain #2. Barnes is transferring so he can get a shot at being a starting QB. It happens all the time in college ball and is no big deal really.

I could always call Joe Namath and ask him instead. :)

Like I said there are different kinds of coaches. Relaxed coaches and rah rah ball busters. Herm ran a relaxed camp. Maybe it paid off in some ways. It didn't pay off with quick starts because the team often wasn't ready when camp broke. Specifically, Martin getting no carries in the preseason having a slow start and Vinny T having zero preseason snaps then having to start the season. It also ends up with the inmates running the asylum.

Making guys run laps isn't the only way to skin a cat. It'll make a guy think about his mistake, but if it takes running a lap to understand you made a mistake you're kind of lame.

I'm not defending Herm. I just care more about penalties and on the field mistakes than the kind of bull**** "discipline" guys like Coughlin mete out.

PS: You saved that quote since '03? I can barely remember McGlockton being on the team. I think Mangini and Tannenebaum are very careful about who they sign to avoid this kind of thing. I think they rely on that more than any after the fact discipline.

The quote actually came from jetsinsider.com. I googled McGlockton to see if I could find a source on that story, and found a quote from bitonti from 3 years ago.

Also, its a dangerous thing to try to set up a black-and-white dichotomoy of coaches. There aren't coaches in this league in the "Herm" category and "Coughlin" category. Those are two extremes in my view, and BOTH should be avoided.

Mangini meets it in the middle. He's not a yeller OR a coddler. He takes a business-like approach but also does not destroy relationships. Finding that happy medium and knowing which buttons to push is important. Treating EVERY player the same (like dirt or like your best friend) is not a good solution and does not win championships.

Mangini is a championship-caliber coach.

Archived