Michael Wilbon

Gainzo

He has been on a rampage since the NBA Draft saying that Boston is a racist City and that free-agents (in any sport) don't want to play in Boston.

He's based his opinion on events that happened in the '60's and '70's. He even asked Doc Rivers, when Rivers took the Celtics job, why would he go to Boston.

Boston has a clouded past in regards to racism, I'm not going to deny that fact, but I feel things have changed for the better since then.

It's now 2007. Troy Brown is a hero in this town. Jim Rice lives in the area and is an analyst on NESN. Andre Tippett also makes his home here and works for the Pats.

Wilbon also failed to mention that the Governor of Massachusetts is black.

What is the perception outside of Boston/Massacusetts? Does Wilbon have a legit gripe or is he just trying to stir the pot?

I'm not sure about the city, but the Celtics certainly had a racist reputation stemming from the Bird, Ainge, McHale days.

Funny you mention that. The Celtics had the 1st black player in the NBA and also the 1st starting 5 of black players.

The '80's Celtics wanted to win with the best players regardless of race.

He has been on a rampage since the NBA Draft saying that Boston is a racist City and that free-agents (in any sport) don't want to play in Boston.

He's based his opinion on events that happened in the '60's and '70's. He even asked Doc Rivers, when Rivers took the Celtics job, why would he go to Boston.

Boston has a clouded past in regards to racism, I'm not going to deny that fact, but I feel things have changed for the better since then.

It's now 2007. Troy Brown is a hero in this town. Jim Rice lives in the area and is an analyst on NESN. Andre Tippett also makes his home here and works for the Pats.

What is the perception outside of Boston/Massacusetts? Does Wilbon have a legit gripe or is he just trying to stir the pot?

I like Wilbon, although I havent listened to him recently. I have been around this week, but i think he's been on vacation, and I despise that stooge from miami they have sitting in for him. But i do like MW, so I tend to give his rant credibility. Without getting too political here, i do get annoyed at some of the baseless crap that is thrown around, when really maybe people just are too thin-skinned about criticsim. I'm thinking abut the garbage Sheffield levelled against Torre recently.

You're right, Boston has a past rep for being pretty racist, and really not much has happened in the public eye to change that too much.

Mass. on the other hand, is a bastion of liberal idiocy, which most of the country has taken note of. Maybe that perception of it being a haven for libs has softened the racism allegations.

I like Wilbon, although I havent listened to him recently. I have been around this week, but i think he's been on vacation, and I despise that stooge from miami they have sitting in for him. But i do like MW, so I tend to give his rant credibility. Without getting too political here, i do get annoyed at some of the baseless crap that is thrown around, when really maybe people just are too thin-skinned about criticsim. I'm thinking abut the garbage Sheffield levelled against Torre recently.

You're right, Boston has a past rep for being pretty racist, and really not much has happened in the public eye to change that too much.

Mass. on the other hand, is a bastion of liberal idiocy, which most of the country has taken note of. Maybe that perception of it being a haven for libs has softened the racism allegations.

I like Wilbon as well but his attacks on Boston have been out of place.

He's on a personal crusade as someone called him the "N" word at a Celtics game 12 years ago.

Way to go Wilbon! Crucify an entire City because some drunken arsehole called you the N word and the City had racial problems 30 years ago.

Sheffield's comments are laughable at best.

Based on the few visits, it's a very white city, and it's housing pattern is de facto segregated. But that's true of almost every major American city anyway, including NYC and Washington, where Wilbon lives. It's a very liberal area, so I kinda miss the racist idea. Doc Rivers just isn't a very good coach. But that has nothing to do with his ethnic background.

Based on the few visits, it's a very white city, and it's housing pattern is de facto segregated. But that's true of almost every major American city anyway, including NYC and Washington, where Wilbon lives. It's a very liberal area, so I kinda miss the racist idea. Doc Rivers just isn't a very good coach. But that has nothing to do with his ethnic background.

Boston is very white but there are a huge amount of Hispanics and Asians who have settled in and around the City.

Not many black people live in Boston. Deal with it Wilbon!

I love how Wilbon completely blows off other minority groups. I guess Bostonians are only racist against blacks and are cool with Asians and Hispanics.

Wilbon is a hater. FU mate.

Funny you mention that. The Celtics had the 1st black player in the NBA and also the 1st starting 5 of black players.

What was that movie called they made reggarding that ?

Gainzo, I've been to bean town many times. Never once have I thought ANYTHING about race while there. Seems like a normal big US city. From what I've read here it sounds like this jerk has a personnal agenda with Boston. F Wilbon .

Gainzo, I've been to bean town many times. Never once have I thought ANYTHING about race while there. Seems like a normal big US city. From what I've read here it sounds like this jerk has a personnal agenda with Boston. F Wilbon .

Thanks for the input (Did I just say that :P) I have travelled all around the Country and I can't label any City racist.

Wilbon has an agenda based on stuff that happened 30 years ago.

Thanks for the input (Did I just say that :P) I have travelled all around the Country and I can't label any City racist.

Wilbon has an agenda based on stuff that happened 30 years ago.

I travel a lot too and can say the same thing. I'd never considered labeling any city I've been too as racist. As a post script I'll be heading out your way in early August. Swinging thru Boston then up to Hampton Beach. I'll keep my eyes out for any open signs of racism . :biggrin:

I travel a lot too and can say the same thing. I'd never considered labeling any city I've been too as racist. As a post script I'll be heading out your way in early August. Swinging thru Boston then up to Hampton Beach. I'll keep my eyes out for any open signs of racism . :biggrin:

*cough* Birmingham*cough*

I'm not sure Wilbon is the only one who believes that racism is still a problem in Boston:

"The Civil Rights Project at Harvard University commissioned a study that concluded that racial minorities in Greater Boston don't feel comfortable living here.

According to the study, which was released last year by the Civil Rights Project, 80 percent of the African-Americans and half of Hispanics surveyed in October 2004 in Greater Boston said racial discrimination remained a serious problem that could cost members of minority groups jobs and promotions and made them feel unwelcome at stores, sporting events, and restaurants. The study included Bristol, Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, and Worcester counties."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/05/21/forum_takes_on_hidden_racism/

I knew somebody would bring that up. ;) The 80's Celtics definitely had a white bias. I wonder if it's because those guys were generally slow and un-athletic. Might have been a way to get a bargain - like being the only 3-4 team getting a bargain on lousy 2 gap DEs. Plus, they might have been a lot better playing together than if you threw them on another team.

As for Boston, I wonder if it's because there are still neighborhoods based generally on nationality. There are, right? I know I grew up in Bensonhurst and it was ALL Italian-American. Great place to eat and grab an espresso, but when you have such a homogenous society outsiders (minorities) are not generally tolerated well.

As for Boston, I wonder if it's because there are still neighborhoods based generally on nationality. There are, right? I know I grew up in Bensonhurst and it was ALL Italian-American. Great place to eat and grab an espresso, but when you have such a homogenous society outsiders (minorities) are not generally tolerated well.

This is a great comment - the more anyone sticks to their own, the more "outsiders" are not tollerated.

Taking race out of it completely, how many people feel 100% comfortable walking into a Patriots bar on an NFL Sunday wearing a Chrebet jersey? You might not be afraid of getting assualted, but I would think you would not be completely comfortable being there either. Same type thing, but obviously without the serious social implications.

I'm not sure Wilbon is the only one who believes that racism is still a problem in Boston:

"The Civil Rights Project at Harvard University commissioned a study that concluded that racial minorities in Greater Boston don't feel comfortable living here.

According to the study, which was released last year by the Civil Rights Project, 80 percent of the African-Americans and half of Hispanics surveyed in October 2004 in Greater Boston said racial discrimination remained a serious problem that could cost members of minority groups jobs and promotions and made them feel unwelcome at stores, sporting events, and restaurants. The study included Bristol, Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, and Worcester counties."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/05/21/forum_takes_on_hidden_racism/

Read the article.

Liberal nonsense tripe. Lots of feelings, nothing more than feelings. No specifics. Look, if someone is discriminated against, I hope they sue and get every last dime they deserve. But in PC America in 2007, you're going to have to look hard, spare some idiots. Corporate America simply doesn't discriminate because it's cost prohibitive and bad for business.

No specific instances of "racism". Just "feeling uncomfortable". Well, my business takes me pretty much every lousy neighborhood in NYC, and I often don't feel comfortable, but neither d many residents. But what I've also found is everyone, even in those ahrd palces, is pretty much the same. The want to work and raise their kids in peace and be left alone.

Of course, they trot out "racist police". Without specifics, that's my business.I cannot speak for Boston PD, but I can tell you that NYPD today is more integrated than either the student body or faculty of Harvard. And simply if you want to be taken seriously, you have to stop pretending the Northeast is Alabama in 1951. It's a total joke. But the racial greivance industry marches on, avoiding real employment at all costs. And run all those sensitivity workshops we all loves so much in the meantime.

And answer me this-who funded this project? The people it employed had a vested interest in finding racism, because if they wanted to fund another study or another project and more sensitivity workshops to address this "racism", they weren't going to find that Boston was harmonious.The racial grievance industry has a long-term vested interest in keeping it going. Otherwise they might have to leave the hallowed halls of Harvard to get a real job.

Might I suggest that as a society we have become more impersonal, more impatient and more rude. People seem indifferent to those around them. It's a point I make to my kids almost every day; be conscious and respectful of others. You aren't the only person on line or on the sidewalk or in the elevator;be polite. That doesn't say much for us as a society, but it's not racism.

Again, every major city in America is right now defacto segregated in it's housing patterns. But making the leap from people choosing to live with people like themselves to racism cannot be made.

It's unfortunate some ignoramus called Wilbon an awful insult 30 years ago. To extrapoliate from that that a whole city is racist is nonsensical and unfair.

Well, my business takes me pretty much every lousy neighborhood in NYC,

I've been in a lot of NYC schools in some pretty rough neighborhoods, talking to a lot of people along the way the past few months, and if you dont think racisim, and thoughts of racism are alive, you are missing the reality of what is going on.

Might I suggest that as a society we have become more impersonal, more impatient and more rude.

I agree with that, but it has nothing to do with racism.

But the racial greivance industry marches on, avoiding real employment at all costs.

I agree with that, too, but it doesnt mean that racism doesnt exist.

In fact, I agree with a lot of your post, but it doesnt change what Gainzo originally asked, and that is "what is the perception of Boston?"

I have relatives and friends who live in the Boston area, and I know what they tell me about the different ethnic groups still having strong resentment

towards other minority groups.

It's silly to delude yourself to think everything is hunky-dory. We still have a long way to go. And that specifically includes Boston, too.

Wilbon is full of crap.

Let me give you the real low-down. Boston is great, don't get me wrong. Old, historic, walkable, lots to do, lots to see, great food, great bars, music, sailing, museums, entertainment venues, (Gawd awful winters), whatever....but, generally speaking, not real friendly. Could very well be the most unfriendliest, generally speaking, of the "big" cities. I think people take this unfriendliness personal - racist even, maybe. It's not. Most of us are just plain 'ole m@ssholes. Not kidding. Haggis and Gainzo are exceptions. Interestingly enough one is from Scotland the other from Australia/New Zealand? :)

Wilbon is full of crap.

Let me give you the real low-down. Boston is great, don't get me wrong. Old, historic, walkable, lots to do, lots to see, great food, great bars, music, sailing, museums, entertainment venues, (Gawd awful winters), whatever....but, generally speaking, not real friendly. Could very well be the most unfriendliest, generally speaking, of the "big" cities. I think people take this unfriendliness personal - racist even, maybe. It's not. Most of us are just plain 'ole m@ssholes. Not kidding. Haggis and Gainzo are exceptions. Interestingly enough one is from Scotland the other from Australia/New Zealand? :)

I agree. They call us M*******s for a reason.

Garb and Gainzo are way off here in defending Boston in regards to the race issue.

I hate Wilbon and his partner Kornheiser as they are talentless hacks, but Boston is a notoriously racist city...

Ever heard of the Keep Southie White movement?

Who the hell would want to live in South Boston anyway?

Boston is basically full of low-rent, trailertrash Patriot fans, Irish working class Joes, j!zzbag college students, paper-pushing liberal d0uchebags, with a few Paesans in the Northend...the only place with incredibly good food. The seafood is puke-inducing.

The history of racism/elitism goes back to the 1700s...

Any Mass resident with half-a-brain lives west of exit 10.

Garb and Gainzo are way off here in defending Boston in regards to the race issue.

I hate Wilbon and his partner Kornheiser as they are talentless hacks, but Boston is a notoriously racist city...

Ever heard of the Keep Southie White movement?

Who the hell would want to live in South Boston anyway?

Boston is basically full of low-rent, trailertrash Patriot fans, Irish working class Joes, j!zzbag college students, paper-pushing liberal d0uchebags, with a few Paesans in the Northend...the only place with incredibly good food. The seafood is puke-inducing.

The history of racism/elitism goes back to the 1700s...

Any Mass resident with half-a-brain lives west of exit 10.

Exit 10 of what highway? The Pike, 95, 93, 128, 495, 3, 24, 1?

Garb and I actually live in this City so I think we may have a better grasp of what is going on than you.

I have never heard of the "Keep Southie White" movement. South Boston is pretty integrated nowadays.

Your comment about about the 1700's is laughable at best.

Wasn't Massachusetts at the heart of the anti-slavery movement?

Massachusetts formed a battalion of black troops to fight in the Civil war. If you haven't seen it I would suggest you check out the movie Glory.

Exit 10 of what highway? The Pike, 95, 93, 128, 495, 3, 24, 1?

Garb and I actually live in this City so I think we may have a better grasp of what is going on than you.

I have never heard of the "Keep Southie White" movement. South Boston is pretty integrated nowadays.

Your comment about about the 1700's is laughable at best.

Wasn't Massachusetts at the heart of the anti-slavery movement?

Massachusetts formed a battalion of black troops to fight in the Civil war. If you haven't seen it I would suggest you check out the movie Glory.

Ive seen Glory thousands of times, and recognize the anti-slavery movement...but what are you kidding?

You think there isnt persistent racism in Boston? What are you INSANE???

And save the "I live here therefore I am a god" moral highground nonsense! I dont have to live in Boston (though I have lived there) to know how insidious the racism/classism/elitism is.

Its not just Boston that such things are a plague...but Boston has its MAJOR major problems in this area.

Ive seen Glory thousands of times, and recognize the anti-slavery movement...but what are you kidding?

You think there isnt persistent racism in Boston? What are you INSANE???

And save the "I live here therefore I am a god" moral highground nonsense! I dont have to live in Boston (though I have lived there) to know how insidious the racism/classism/elitism is.

Its not just Boston that such things are a plague...but Boston has its MAJOR major problems in this area.

You don't live in or around the City but you know that Boston is a racist town?

Does Boston have problems? Yes. Does every major city have problems? Yes.

Do black pro athletes in Boston have problems? No.

Edit: I'm watching the local news and there is a minority on each of the CBS, NBC & ABC channels.

Please stop talking about things that you know nothing about.

Archived