Rules for Watching the Jets

drago

Maybe this is just me, but i can't watch the jets with just anyone. First off, no Steeler fans...ever. I have never had the pleasure of sitting next to a pats fan, but i imagine i would last about a quarter, become upset and leave.

So i'm going over ground rules with the lady friend when the Jets are on this coming season. My first rule is no mocking the jets for the sole intent of spiting me, if they F up, and it pisses her off too, then feel free to show anger. but if Chad F()cking pennington throws a duck that gets picked off, i don't want to hear about his noodle arm or her calling J-Mac a sissy girl (even if it's true).

Ok that's really the only rule. No chearing against the Jets for the sole purpose of pissing me off, i think its a good rule, and am interested if any of you have similar arrangements.

::GoJets:

Maybe this is just me, but i can't watch the jets with just anyone. First off, no Steeler fans...ever. I have never had the pleasure of sitting next to a pats fan, but i imagine i would last about a quarter, become upset and leave.

So i'm going over ground rules with the lady friend when the Jets are on this coming season. My first rule is no mocking the jets for the sole intent of spiting me, if they F up, and it pisses her off too, then feel free to show anger. but if Chad F()cking pennington throws a duck that gets picked off, i don't want to hear about his noodle arm or her calling J-Mac a sissy girl (even if it's true).

Ok that's really the only rule. No chearing against the Jets for the sole purpose of pissing me off, i think its a good rule, and am interested if any of you have similar arrangements.

No girls who are not hardcore Jet fans. Ever.

as it stands now, i'm the only jet fan on the island. Fortunately I get all the games on my dish so I watch the games by myself for the most part.

my wife respects my love of the game for 16 weeks and only asks that I post game times on the fridge so she can schedule our day around it. GAAD I can't wait for september

as it stands now, i'm the only jet fan on the island. Fortunately I get all the games on my dish so I watch the games by myself for the most part.

my wife respects my love of the game for 16 weeks and only asks that I post game times on the fridge so she can schedule our day around it. GAAD I can't wait for september

Wow, that is not bad. My gf was thinking of ways to piss me off already, one of her ideas was dressing up in the other teams colors, but in only body paint.

The only reason that would be acceptalbe (this is her idea, not mine) is i could then "f()ck the other team".

clever.

Wow.. one rule? That is tough. :)

As someone who watches a lot of games with opposing fans (and married to one) I think you need a few more rules, so here are mine that I use with my brother (Pats fan) and wife (Dolphin fan).

1. All good natured ribbing is FINE up to the start of the game. At the point, shut up and watch the game. A few comments at big events (picks, tds) are fine, but other than that the only time I want to talk to you is when you are getting me a beer.

2. Wear what you want, but keep it simple and current. A Marino jersey is fine, but no anti-Jets crap and try to keep the bling to a minimum if it isn't yoru home game.

3. Don't play to the crowd. Don't get up in their face, talk smack with them (unless it is your home team) or do anything else to get some drunken idiot to take a swing at you. If someone dumps a beer on you, it is ON, but if you asked for it you can take the walk.

4. After the game is over, nobody talks. Not a word. Don't console me if we lost and don't congratulate me if we win. We might be married/related but there is a three hour period after the game when nobody should utter a word.

5. Blood is thicker than football, but not much. We all have our tipping points so don't push it! :)

With those rules I have successly stayed married.

BZ

My wife is a diehard Steeler fan.

As someone who watches a lot of games with opposing fans (and married to one) I think you need a few more rules, so here are mine that I use with my brother (Pats fan) and wife (Dolphin fan).

1. All good natured ribbing is FINE up to the start of the game. At the point, shut up and watch the game. A few comments at big events (picks, tds) are fine, but other than that the only time I want to talk to you is when you are getting me a beer.

2. Wear what you want, but keep it simple and current. A Marino jersey is fine, but no anti-Jets crap and try to keep the bling to a minimum if it isn't yoru home game.

3. Don't play to the crowd. Don't get up in their face, talk smack with them (unless it is your home team) or do anything else to get some drunken idiot to take a swing at you. If someone dumps a beer on you, it is ON, but if you asked for it you can take the walk.

4. After the game is over, nobody talks. Not a word. Don't console me if we lost and don't congratulate me if we win. We might be married/related but there is a three hour period after the game when nobody should utter a word.

5. Blood is thicker than football, but not much. We all have our tipping points so don't push it! :)

BZ

I really like the three hour rule after the game. that makes sense to me, i migh thave to impliment that.

It seems like you put more than a minutes worth of thought into this list. Why not give the same amount of thought into the woman you married? phins fan? you kidding?

BZ

due to your success I guess she never spilled a beer on you ahh bz?:)

I really only go to games / watch games with either my father or my best friend, my father a Jets fan, so we don't have too many arguments there, none actually, and my best friend a Giants fan. My friend knows when to keep quiet and not say anything to me, and he usually does tend to root for the Jets, especially when I bring him to the games, he roots hard, which is cool to see.

However, I'm now in the process of dating a Colts / Giants fan (yeah I know, weird that she has 2 teams, but, whatever) and she hates the Jets. Well, I'm bringing her to a game this season, but its going to be either the 1st or 2nd preseason game because she can talk all the smack she wants in the Preseason, I really won't care too much at that point, but she also said she will root for the Jets when I bring her to the games, which is nice.

However, if we're still together and the Jets are on the road and shes at my house watching the games with me, she better learn the rules of don't talk to me during the game unless its about the game, don't be talking smack about the Jets too much, if at all, and no cuddling up crap either, this is football, not a picnic.

No girls who are not hardcore Jet fans. Ever.

HAHA, there are times when that rule can be bent. We were at the home game against miami last year, I had a friend of my, jenna presley (google her, lol) with us. We were wrapping up the tailgate and I was giving away all the beer that was left in the keg, so some stranger walks up to get some. HE looks over the kegerator and beerpong table and says "wow, great setup, only mistake you made is bringing girls to a game." I laughed and said "but dude, she sucks #### like she is posessed by all the demons of hell." The guy looked at Jenna and jenna just nonchelantly nodded in approval of what i said with a cute little innocent look. The guy looked back at me and said, "well I guess exceptions can always be made."

HAHA, there are times when that rule can be bent. We were at the home game against miami last year, I had a friend of my, jenna presley (google her, lol) with us. We were wrapping up the tailgate and I was giving away all the beer that was left in the keg, so some stranger walks up to get some. HE looks over the kegerator and beerpong table and says "wow, great setup, only mistake you made is bringing girls to a game." I laughed and said "but dude, she sucks #### like she is posessed by all the demons of hell." The guy looked at Jenna and jenna just nonchelantly nodded in approval of what i said with a cute little innocent look. The guy looked back at me and said, "well I guess exceptions can always be made."

This is utter Bull CHIT!!!! Why are your friends cooler than my friends? any girl friends (friends that are girls, whatever) of mine would never have fielded that question so well.

kiss my arse joebaby!

This is utter Bull CHIT!!!! Why are your friends cooler than my friends? any girl friends (friends that are girls, whatever) of mine would never have fielded that question so well.

kiss my arse joebaby!

Well, when you have done it on camera 500 times i guess things just aren't so big a deal, lol

I loved the thread so I decided I just had to respond.

My father in law used to love the 49rs...when I married his daughter he said that he often rooted for the Jets (being from NJ). I usually have to either watch the games by myself or with people who know the "rules"...but on one random weekend I allowed him to join us to watch the game. I forget who they played, but he critiqued every single freeekin play...good or bad...I wanted to throw him across the room.

Needeless to say, when he asks to join us on Sundays now...I simply say..."sorry...packed house...maybe next time"

I couldn't agree more with the rules listed above. There is nothing worse than dealing with a moron who doesn't have the same passion as you rooting against you...at your house.

Damn are you marrying TX ?

I loved the thread so I decided I just had to respond.

My father in law used to love the 49rs...when I married his daughter he said that he often rooted for the Jets (being from NJ). I usually have to either watch the games by myself or with people who know the "rules"...but on one random weekend I allowed him to join us to watch the game. I forget who they played, but he critiqued every single freeekin play...good or bad...I wanted to throw him across the room.

Needeless to say, when he asks to join us on Sundays now...I simply say..."sorry...packed house...maybe next time"

I couldn't agree more with the rules listed above. There is nothing worse than dealing with a moron who doesn't have the same passion as you rooting against you...at your house.

You should post more often, welcome to JN.

I haven't watched a game with someone that critiques every play, i imagine that would turn into furniture throwing, or poisening that person. He's a niners fan? i could give him a couple critiques on NOT choosing alex smith to be the face of their franchise...for starters...

Damn are you marrying TX ?

i never really talked to TX or anything, but i heard he knew quite a bit about football. my lady friend doesn't know anything about football, so my answers is probably not. But who knows if TX lives in waukesha, goes to carroll, and has a whicked fine arse...then yes, i am marrying TX.

I don't really have any rules.

Nobody bothers me (Wife and or kids) when the game is on.

Usually the older of the twins will come up and watch the game for a little while with me and then she goes back down to watch cartoon network.

The only real rule I have is for myself and that is not to screaming and cursing when things go bad. It looks bad when the kids are downstairs and going to mommy asking what does "F'n douchebag homo loving a-hole Brady" mean ?

So I do try to censor myself to a degree.

simple rules for me.

everyone leaves the house, my wife is a brown's fan, SO SHE'S GOT TO GO.

put my cell on the table next to my chair so i can call my brother or get a call when the JET'S do well. (no calls when they suck) good food and a few beer's.

If we WIN great, if we lose stay the f_ _ K away from me.

simple rules for me.

everyone leaves the house, my wife is a brown's fan, SO SHE'S GOT TO GO.

put my cell on the table next to my chair so i can call my brother or get a call when the JET'S do well. (no calls when they suck) good food and a few beer's.

If we WIN great, if we lose stay the f_ _ K away from me.

I hate how a jet's loss will send me in a tailspin of being pissed for about 3 days. tack another day on for each successive loss, and about 2 weeks for a playoff exit.

I cant talk on the phone when watching the game. I hate when a friend calls you, usually has nothing to do with the actual game just blabbing, and you have to listen because it might be important. It takes you right out of the game.

Pet dogs barking, telephone ringing nonstop, lawn mowers running or loud trucks with the telephone company or construction working at our near your house on game day. Please, shut the F up all of you.

I hate how a jet's loss will send me in a tailspin of being pissed for about 3 days. tack another day on for each successive loss, and about 2 weeks for a playoff exit.

Wow you still must be young.

It just makes me a little numb now, that is all. That is after going through this for 35 years now.

It just makes me a little numb now, that is all. That is after going through this for 35 years now.

yeah i think it is a maturity thing, and that is something i am DEFINATELY lacking. It's almost a point of pride at this point. :)

A.D.D. to the end!

yeah i think it is a maturity thing, and that is something i am DEFINATELY lacking. It's almost a point of pride at this point. :)

A.D.D. to the end!

Trust me, it is NOT a maturity thing with me. You can see that in my posts.

Unfortunately, at some point the passion fades to a small degree and there are different priorities in life. That is how it has worked for me.

Trust me, I am as fanatic as most, but it has waned from my hey-day.

Some Yankee fans will not want to hear this, but I almost wish that they had gotten to see how much pride I had after following my Mets for 13 years and then culminating in a championship in '86. That is a tough thing to wish for other fans. I see it in my Eagle and Phillie neighbors. This town will literally explode after the next big event. It is a build-up.

I know when the Jets reach that pinnacle, my buttons will strain from pride and tears will be shed. Like life, sports fandom is a journey. I think the longer that journey is, the more staisfied feeling at the end.

After 20 years the losses don't hurt as much as they used to. After a regular season game I usually avoid SportsCenter on Monday but that's about it.

Playoff losses hurt the most. After the AFCC Game last year 124 called me as I was on the train after leaving the bar my brother works at.

I picked up the phone, said "I'll call you tomorrow," then hung-up! I was surly for a good 3 or 4 days after that game.

I don't have any rules for watching the games on TV. I can be at home alone, with friends, or out at a bar. It doesn't matter to me.

After 20 years the losses don't hurt as much as they used to. After a regular season game I usually avoid SportsCenter on Monday but that's about it.

Playoff losses hurt the most. After the AFCC Game last year 124 called me as I was on the train after leaving the bar my brother works at.

I picked up the phone, said "I'll call you tomorrow," then hung-up! I was surly for a good 3 or 4 days after that game.

I don't have any rules for watching the games on TV. I can be at home alone, with friends, or out at a bar. It doesn't matter to me.

I doubt 124 would have rubbed it in, but you will get those friends that will call you when your team loses just to be funny. I guess i never found it that humerous.

I sort of forget that pats fans have endoured some tough losses too. hmm, maybe they aren't pure evil.

I can watch a game with anyone but..

1) No I will not turn the channel to check the score of your favorite team

2) No I do not want to hear your in game analysis or how your favorite player would have did it

3) Children are not allowed anywhere near the vicinity of the tv unless they want to walk around learning new colorful words

4) Yes I am watching the Sunday night game regardless of who the teams are

5) Yes I will act like this for the next 17+ weeks

I doubt 124 would have rubbed it in, but you will get those friends that will call you when your team loses just to be funny. I guess i never found it that humerous.

I sort of forget that pats fans have endoured some tough losses too. hmm, maybe they aren't pure evil.

Oh no, when I picked up before he could say anything I laughed and said **** THE PATS!!! I was hammered though.. I probably would've been nicer and not would've rubbed it in if I hadn't been drinking since the night before.:P

I can't watch Jets games with anyone. I need to be totally alone. Once the game begins I metamorph into some unspeakable and hideous creature. It's actually dangerous for anyone to be with me during that time. It might have something to do with the high levels of radioactive waves emitted from the TV during Jets games. It also effects my hunger for pizza and thirst for beer.

The only rule I have is that I have to watch the game alone...I don't want anyone bothering me and I don't want to talk to anyone while I'm watching. Before I got the Sunday Ticket, I had to go to sports bars to see Jets games and I just hated it...too much noise and too many idiots. Now, the wife and kids go to her mom's every Sunday and I have the house to myself to watch in peace.

The only rule I have is that I have to watch the game alone...I don't want anyone bothering me and I don't want to talk to anyone while I'm watching. Before I got the Sunday Ticket, I had to go to sports bars to see Jets games and I just hated it...too much noise and too many idiots. Now, the wife and kids go to her mom's every Sunday and I have the house to myself to watch in peace.

:thumbup:

Archived