Will Vilma be a New York Jet in 2008?

ECURB

Will Vilma be a New York Jet in 2008?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will Vilma be a New York Jet in 2008?

Enough of this true NT nonsense. Would it help? Yes it would help, but Vilma would still have to shed blockers, something he is not prone to do. He is nothing like Tedy Bruschi, no matter how much he wants to be like Bruschi. Vilma is a Top 3 MLB in the game. A ILB? Not so much.

(MLB = 43, ILB = 34)

Vilma is about the size of Teddy Bruschi... his size shouldnt be a problem with a proper DL

Even assuming Vilma's official weight isnt padded (which many do) according to nfl.com, Bruschi out weights Vilma by 17 pounds (B -247 V- 230). They are the same height, which if you think about it terms of mass distribution means that Bruschi is a good bit more of a load than Vilma.

Vilma is about the size of Teddy Bruschi... his size shouldnt be a problem with a proper DL

Huh? Vilma is about 15-20lbs lighter than Bruschi. Where did you get that in your head?

Vilma is listed at 230 and Bruschi at 247. Just looking at them Vilma is smaller.

On top of that they have much different strengths and weaknesses.

With a proper DL I think Vilma can handle the position, but he takes some of the blame for his struggles as well as the line. He needs to show improvement at taking on blockers.

Vilma is my favorite player in the NFL so it pains me to say this, but if he doesn't show substantial improvement this year than our best bet is to trade him rather than trying to create the perfect situation just to cater to his needs. He's not always gonna be completely freed up no matter if we have Jamaal Williams or Dewayne Robertson. He has to do better taking on blockers and that goes for any scheme.

Enough of this true NT nonsense. Would it help? Yes it would help, but Vilma would still have to shed blockers, something he is not prone to do. He is nothing like Tedy Bruschi, no matter how much he wants to be like Bruschi. Vilma is a Top 3 MLB in the game. A ILB? Not so much.

(MLB = 43, ILB = 34)

you may be right there, but i would triage the situation, work with the weakest players first. If you think due to the different scheme vilma is the weakest link then that is one thing, but if you think the dL is weak then that should be handled first as none of them are as talented as Vilma.

It is kinda like why we drafted oline in 06 in the first round, the greatest qb in the draft would be worthless without a solid line. Many people actually refer to vilma as the qb of the defense.

ut I will be the first to admit, my understanding of defense is much less then offense.

Even assuming Vilma's official weight isnt padded (which many do) according to nfl.com, Bruschi out weights Vilma by 17 pounds (B -247 V- 230). They are the same height, which if you think about it terms of mass distribution means that Bruschi is a good bit more of a load than Vilma.

Dont worry, ecurb is the same guy who last year said Drob is as big as Vince Wilfork.

Dont worry, ecurb is the same guy who last year said Drob is as big as Vince Wilfork.

:lol:

That was according to NFL.com which is wrong... and that is what people are trying to use here... I presented visual evidence this time around...

That was according to NFL.com which is wrong... and that is what people are trying to use here... I presented visual evidence this time around...

Actually both the official team websites have the same height and weight listings as nfl.com . Are they wrong too?

Maybe if Vilma and Bruschi were in the same picture standing on a scale and not wearing their pads your pictures would hold some weight.

There are worse things than admitting that you are wrong Bruce.

(Like continuing to defend a statement that was clearly wrong and making even more of an ass of yourself than normal. Which is something I know a thing or two about).

Actually both the official team websites have the same height and weight listings as nfl.com . Are they wrong too?

Maybe if Vilma and Bruschi were in the same picture standing on a scale and not wearing their pads your pictures would hold some weight.

There are worse things than admitting that you are wrong Bruce.

(Like continuing to defend a statement that was clearly wrong and making even more of an ass of yourself than normal. Which is something I know a thing or two about).

I think Vilma is big enough to play ILB in the 3-4

Thats where I will leave my stance.

Unless you have "visual evidence" of them stepping on a weight scale, dont bother.

And, even if they were the same weight, which they arent, but hypothetically if they actually were the same weight, it doesnt mean they play the same. Not every 250lb LB or 340lb NT is as strong as every other 250lb or 340lb NT.

Its how they play, not how big or small they are.

Unless you have "visual evidence" of them stepping on a weight scale, dont bother.

And, even if they were the same weight, which they arent, but hypothetically if they actually were the same weight, it doesnt mean they play the same. Not every 250lb LB or 340lb NT is as strong as every other 250lb or 340lb NT.

Its how they play, not how big or small they are.

Good point, Vilma plays bigger than he is.

Okkk, ecurb.

If Tangini didnt think Vilma had what it takes to play in the 3-4 they would have traded him for a high draft pick this year... not let him struggle and his value diminish...

Why do you always think your smarter than Tangini?

If Tangini didnt think Vilma had what it takes to play in the 3-4 they would have traded him for a high draft pick this year... not let him struggle and his value diminish...

Why do you always think your smarter than Tangini?

The real question would be this:

WHY THE F##K DO YOU (of all people) ALWAYS PRETEND YOU KNOW WHAT "TANGINI" ARE THINKING???

Are you a f'n mind reader, capable of reading peoples minds from hundreds of miles away???

Maybe the rumors were true that they were trying to trade Vilma, but they couldnt get what they wanted for him, (maybe a 1st rd pick), so they decided to keep him? Did you ever think of that, esp2369?

You use the logic of a freakin 10 yr old kid. You dont know your nose from your knows.

Maybe, just maybe, a deal fell through for Portis?

Or, wait a sec ecrub, maybe, just maybe, they want to give him 2 years in the 34 and not just 1? I think the latter is the case and once he underperforms this year, as Tony Reali says:

HE GONE!

Bruschi > Vilma in the 34 defense.

Or, wait a sec ecrub, maybe, just maybe, they want to give him 2 years in the 34 and not just 1? I think the latter is the case and once he underperforms this year, as Tony Reali says:

HE GONE!

Nuge >Bruschi > Vilma in the 34 defense.

:Typotux:

HE GONE!

Bruschi > Vilma in the 34 defense.

What deal?

Now your talking about beat writers rumors... lol

They could have gotten great value for Vilma this offseason and they didnt... no way they will get the same value next season and they will most likely keep him...

What deal?

They could have gotten great value for Vilma this offseason and they didnt... no way they will get the same value next season and they will most likely keep him...

They probably wanted to see if he could play better within the system in year 2. If he does thats great and they extend him. I don't think thats going to be the case because the system wasn't the problem last year, it was him getting run over.

As for his value decreasing after this season.. why would it? He's still going to be young (I believe he's only 25) and just because he stinks in the 3-4 doesn't mean he can no longer play well in the 4-3. I would consider Vilma for a top 15 draft pick a dead even trade. Whoever we deal him to gets a pro bowl caliber middle linebacker who can be plugged in immediately without waiting for him to develop.

It boils down to how much Vilma is worth to the team. If he improves dramatically then we keep him. If he doesn't I think Tannenbaum can find a team who is willing to part with a high draft pick for him.

What deal?

I don't think they could have gotten the value people here think they could have.

These teams were at least thought to be in the market for a MLB suitable for the 4-3:

Buffalo (after releasing Fletcher)

Washington

Kansas City

Carolina

Buffalo had the perfect draft slot to take Willis, but they were also in need of a HB after trading McGahee away & took Lynch. Unlikely they would trade away the opportunity to draft either of these two & also unlikely the Jets would want to trade Vilma to a division rival.

Washington signed Fletcher after Buffalo released him. This was after the trade rumours of us swapping Vilma for Portis of course.

Kansas City signed Donnie Edwards in early March.

Carolina traded with us but pick-for-picks. Also it seems Morgan is coming back after all.

What other phantom team was going to rush in and give us "great value" this year? Name the team - and what you think they would have given up for Vilma - if you believe this.

What deal?

Isn't "they could have gotten great value for Vilma this offseason and they didn't" a beat writer's rumor? IMO, they might as well keep him because they won't be able to get a number one for him. I wouldn't give one up for him. The cap going up has made his friendly contract less important too.

Archived